Gord Downie

13»

Comments

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Just saw this in a Globe and Mail article - looks like there is at least one more GD record coming.
     A month before the Away is Mine sessions, Downie had made an album with another friend and collaborator, Dale Morningstar and his avant garde indie-rock band The Dinner is Ruined. No release date for that record has been set.’

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    toolie said:
    Just saw this in a Globe and Mail article - looks like there is at least one more GD record coming.
    ’ A month before the Away is Mine sessions, Downie had made an album with another friend and collaborator, Dale Morningstar and his avant garde indie-rock band The Dinner is Ruined. No release date for that record has been set.’

I guess that's why when they were promoting this album, they chose their words carefully....'the last SOLO gord downie record"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It’s here. Gotta admit it’s a bit surreal listening to new Gord. And it’s 45rpm!!! 

going to have a bit of a gord fiesta tonight. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118

going to have a bit of a gord fiesta tonight. 
    Nice haul. The Grand Bounce is a favorite of mine. 
    I am loving the acoustic version. Had to go back and listen to "Traffic is Magic" as soon as it was done, that song blew me away. Looking forward to giving this some more time to grow on the weekend.
    didn't have time for my gord fest last night. I have the vinyl. I have the digital files. I just can't bring myself to listen to this until I'm in the right setting. Dammit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    Amazon updating my shipping and the cd will be here today. I decided to have a Gord-fest myself. That album he did with The Sadies is great too.
    BR2428 said:
    Amazon updating my shipping and the cd will be here today. I decided to have a Gord-fest myself. That album he did with The Sadies is great too.
    i'm not a sadies fan, so i actually didn't listen to that record until years after it came out. it's actually my favourite of his non-hip releases. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    HUGE Hip fan...and I have to say that his solo stuff is hit & miss for me. This new record however, is BEAUTIFUL.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• toolie said:
    ’ A month before the Away is Mine sessions, Downie had made an album with another friend and collaborator, Dale Morningstar and his avant garde indie-rock band The Dinner is Ruined. No release date for that record has been set.’

I guess that's why when they were promoting this album, they chose their words carefully....'the last SOLO gord downie record"

The way I read that was the same for the Chris Cornell release - it was the last album they recorded but there's still stuff they recorded before those latest releases. I'm pretty confident there will be more to come from both camps but those records are the very last thing that was done in the studio by them
    I am wired and fading...
    there's more hip stuff, but I don't think there's going to be another proper Gord solo record. Maybe a few odds and ends. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Gord Downie/Bob Rock album coming out in 2024. First single Lustre Parfait out today. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Full album Lustre Parfait out now
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Waiting for my cd to arrive. Anyone play the whole album yet??
  • southpsouthp Posts: 265
    Waiting for the LP to arrive 
    I gave it one run through on the weekend. I can't form an opinion on anything solo Gord in one listen. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2023
    I'm just finishing listening right now. There are some stunning songs on this album. There are a couple of minor duds IMO, and a few nice surprises (like Let Me Howl, for example - holy sax!). Overall, I really like it quite a bit. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Moment is a Wild Place.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    It was an enjoyable listen and something I'll throw on again. The Conquering Sun is still my favorite non-hip Gord release but this was better than I was expecting
    I am wired and fading...
    agreed about conquering son. love that record. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    new cd is enroute. i'm a big fan of bob rock.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Quite liked it on my first listen.

So far my favourite solo album is Coke Machine Glow.  Don't know what its about that album, can't put my finger on it, except I like it's vibe :)