Please help save the USPS!

124»

Comments

• I'm going to bump this as the USPS dispatching of packages is an absolute mess.

Chaos would be calling it nicely.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm going to bump this as the USPS dispatching of packages is an absolute mess.

Chaos would be calling it nicely.

I've been very fortunate to be more busy selling and shipping books than usual this last month or so.  I have not had a single complaint from any customers about time of arrival or condition of packages (of course the latter is because I package books well enough to survive unharmed just about anything a shipper can dish out, save maybe being run over by a truck).  In fact, in my 16 years selling books on-line and shipping them out via USPS, I have never had one package lost or damaged.  Not one!  The same is true as a buyer except in a few cases where the seller didn't know how to package properly (a common complaint of mine about other sellers).

I am particularly pleased with how well USPS has done during this pandemic.  They are being simply hammered with work due to many people sending packages and buying goods on line in order to stay home.  At the same time, they have been hit with a number of set backs because of the chaos to the organization created by our lame-ass POTUS.  An on top of that, they have had to work understaffed to to COVID.

MAJOR kudos to the USPS for amazing work during such hard times.  I send them positive feedback through the USPS survey at almost every opportunity. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Yup. The USPS is a total mess at the moment, again... It seemed things were turning around a bit, but nope.

I purchased a record from a shop in Detroit earlier this month (12/4). It sat at a post office in Dearborn for four days, then went to Pittsburgh, and is now in Virginia. I’m in Minnesota. Tracking hasn’t updated in almost a week.

I really, really hope the Biden administration makes getting the USPS fixed a top priority. It’s a shame.
    I'm truly sorry some of you have had bad experiences with USPS.  That sucks.

At the same time, I hope you at least appreciate the tremendous stress the folks who work for USPS are under- pressure from the public, confusion  caused by a dysfunctional government, over-worked, and short handed due to the pandemic.  Maybe put yourselves in their shoes and cut these folks a little slack.  You can always opt to not use their services.  Unless you are an unfortunate person who must rely on USPS for essential goods, no one is putting a gun to your head and saying you must ship via USPS.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited December 2020
    Wildly inconsistent based on personal use this fall/winter, but I know to send anything I am worried about via UPS or FedEx.  
    I do see a huge change in the USPS delivering a shitton of amazon this year.  We for sure have to get the mail every day as if we miss a day and there was an Amazon shipment small enough to fit in the mailbox they might not have space to place anything new the next day.
    I do feel badly for the people working there.  Had a larger $ than usual amount in the mailbox for Ron, our carrier, this holiday.

I still can't stand the people who work the local office, though.  :lol:
    I'll drive to another office if I need to go inside for anything 
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Wildly inconsistent based on personal use this fall/winter, but I know to send anything I am worried about via UPS or FedEx.  
    I do see a huge change in the USPS delivering a shitton of amazon this year.  We for sure have to get the mail every day as if we miss a day and there was an Amazon shipment small enough to fit in the mailbox they might not have space to place anything new the next day.
    I do feel badly for the people working there.  Had a larger $ than usual amount in the mailbox for Ron, our carrier, this holiday.

I still can't stand the people who work the local office, though.  :lol:
    I'll drive to another office if I need to go inside for anything 
    Oh man, that definitely sucks.  Our local P.O. people are like saints.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For the hell of, I checked reviews of the two USPS locations near me. Both at 2.4%, citing mostly attitude and unhelpfulness from the staff.

Our building has gotten much better though. For a while, mail was regularly misdelivered, mailboxes left wide open, etc. 
    Four USPS post offices in our area are either closed or burned to the ground. All off the mail from those offices in being re-routed to our tiny P.O. in Diamond Springs. The employees there are totally overwhelmed with work but still giving excellent service and are very accommodating to many of the tens of thousands of people in this county who have been evacuated. I do not have a single word of complaint for these hard working folks, only good thoughts and gratefulness.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    brianlux said:
    Four USPS post offices in our area are either closed or burned to the ground. All off the mail from those offices in being re-routed to our tiny P.O. in Diamond Springs. The employees there are totally overwhelmed with work but still giving excellent service and are very accommodating to many of the tens of thousands of people in this county who have been evacuated. I do not have a single word of complaint for these hard working folks, only good thoughts and gratefulness.

no help from those postal workers displaced?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

no help from those postal workers displaced?

My understanding is that those displaced workers who can, are working at Diamond Springs P.O.  But some are struggling to find  a place for themselves and their families to stay.  Most of the shelters are full.  The section of the Walmart parking lot set up for campers is crowded.
    What our P.O. has done is set up a fenced off area with large tents as a distribution center and that's where most of the displaced workers are keeping busy.  But imagine working for hours outside where the air quality numbers are over 400.  I've only been outside the last two days for maybe a total of 10 minutes and yet still I'm coughing up shit and have a scratchy throat.  And we have an air cleaner running all day and night.  I don't know how those people are doing that work.  And then there are the fire fighters out on the line.  Fucking horrific.  These people have my total respect. 

this fucking pos......

U.S. Postal Service finalizes plans to purchase mostly gas-powered delivery fleet, defying EPA, White House  https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/02/23/usps-trucks-epa-climate-change/ 

U.S. Postal Service finalizes plans to purchase mostly gas-powered delivery fleet, defying EPA, White House
    By Jacob Bogage and Anna Phillips
    February 23 at 2:15 PM EST
    The U.S. Postal Service finalized plans Wednesday to purchase up to 148,000 gasoline-powered mail delivery trucks, defying Biden administration officials’ objections that the multibillion dollar contract would undercut the nation’s climate goals.
    The White House Council on Environmental Quality and the Environmental Protection Agency asked the Postal Service this month to reassess its plan to replace its delivery fleet with 90-percent gas-powered trucks and 10-percent electric vehicles, at a cost of as much as $11.3 billion. The contract, orchestrated by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, offers only a 0.4-mile-per-gallon fuel economy improvement over the agency’s current fleet.
    Vicki Arroyo, the EPA’s associate administrator for policy, issued a statement calling the Postal Service’s decision a “crucial lost opportunity.”
    “Purchasing tens of thousands of gasoline-fueled delivery trucks locks USPS into further oil dependence, air pollution, and climate impacts for decades to come, and harms the long-term prospects of our nation’s vital mail provider,” Arroyo said.
    President Biden has pledged to transition the federal fleet to clean power, and apart from the military, the Postal Service has more vehicles than any other government agency. It accounts for nearly one-third of federally owned cars and trucks, and environmental and auto industry experts argue that the agency’s stop-and-start deliveries to 161 million addresses six days a week was an ideal use case for electric vehicles.
    Federal climate science officials said the Postal Service vastly underestimated the emissions of its proposed fleet of “Next Generation Delivery Vehicles,” or NGDVs, and accused the mail agency of fudging the math of its environmental studies to justify such a large purchase of internal combustion engine trucks.
    But DeJoy, a holdover from the Trump administration, has called his agency’s investment in green transportation “ambitious,” even as environmental groups and even other postal leaders have privately questioned it. When DeJoy repeated the characterization at a public meeting of the Postal Service’s governing board earlier in February, his remarks were met with chuckles from the audience.
    Environmental advocates assailed the agency’s decision, saying it would lock in decades of climate-warming emissions and worsen air pollution. The Postal Service plans call for the new trucks, built by Oshkosh Defense, to hit the streets in 2023 and remain in service for at least 20 years.
    “Right now, putting aside the climate benefits and the air quality benefits, it is a smarter business decision to transition to electric vehicles,” Katherine Garcia, acting director of the Sierra Club's clean transportation campaign, said in an interview. “Given our climate commitments, given our public health commitments, it is completely unacceptable for the USPS to cling to an overwhelmingly fossil fuel fleet.”
    “DeJoy’s plans for the postal fleet will drag us back decades with a truck model that gets laughable fuel economy. We may as well deliver the mail with hummers,” said Adrian Martinez, an attorney for the environmental law firm Earthjustice. “We’re not done fighting this reckless decision.”
    DeJoy said in a statement that the agency was open to pursuing more electric vehicles if “additional funding — from either internal or congressional sources — becomes available.” But he added that the agency had “waited long enough” for new vehicles.

continues......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    thank you so much mr logistics expert postmaster general. have bypassed my city twice. I get the first time was by plane. timing of the second one suggests by truck wtf 

• Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    You're not alone. I live just outside of Evansville & my package went through Evansville to Columbus, OH (5 hours away). Most stuff is routed fine, but I get the occasional oddball like this.

As a seller and buyer, I guess I've been lucky.  All these years a very few complaints coming or going.  My big gripe lately is with people who can't write their own address properly on the order.  Examples:

Name
    1234 [no street name]
    City, State, Zip

Name
    1234 Street
    number [not identified]
    City, State

Name
    1234 Street
    City, State, unmatched zip.

And on and on.  It would be hilarious except for the extra trips and mine time to and from the Post Office.

edited April 2022
    Jason7192 said:
    You're not alone. I live just outside of Evansville & my package went through Evansville to Columbus, OH (5 hours away). Most stuff is routed fine, but I get the occasional oddball like this.

funny , am in Columbus.

my order is a replacement stylus for an oe shure cart on this new to me dual 1228 turntable. oe shure stylus was broke in half.

a lot of my stuff runs through cincy
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    DeJoy having been a major Republican Party donor and fund raiser for Trump probably says all that needs to be said.  His politicizing the USPS doesn't help.  And of course his handling of the 2020 post office melt down sealed it as far as I'm concerned.   DeJoy needs to go!

mickeyrat said:

I can't wait for the day DeJoyless gets dumped.  Can't happen soon enough.