The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    One of the best bands ever. Hands down. 
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Live Between Us. One of my favourite albums ever. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hard to say without knowing what 10 second clip you are referring to, but my guess is you've already made up your mind. 
    If it all sounds like that, then yeah, I'm not going to be able to get past that voice, but I honestly wonder if that wasn't a good representation...there are so many people that love them so much, I find it hard to believe if that's just their sound. Maybe I'll get around to another listen sometime.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    he doesn't have a nasally sounding voice at all normally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

he doesn't have a nasally sounding voice at all normally. 
    Doesn't sound like the Love Shack guy?  
    So what song should I 'Tube when I get a chance? 
    Something with more of a vibe like Thumbing My Way than Mind Your Manners, if you catch my drift.
    Fiddler's Green was written about Gord's own nephew who died young of a heart defect. they didn't play it for many years as it was too painful for Gord to sing it. They started playing it again in the mid to late oughts. I think they played it at their final show in Kingston. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

this is when they famously played SNL, as Dan Akroyd was hosting, and he basically demanded they be the musical guest. 

looking back, gord looks exactly like sheldon from big bang. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGqbyudsyQ
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

this is when they famously played SNL, as Dan Akroyd was hosting, and he basically demanded they be the musical guest. 

looking back, gord looks exactly like sheldon from big bang. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGqbyudsyQ
    That's a pretty good song, I feel like it could really grow on you.  Definitely better vocals than the snippet I had heard before.  Sounds like 1995, for sure lol
    Of course that's a good thing.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I’m waiting to see what was in that 12 days of Hip crate ...
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    I’m waiting to see what was in that 12 days of Hip crate ...
    +1. My hopes aren't up, though.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

i've seen two people open days 1 and 2 and both have said they're disappointed so far. one shirt and one scarf. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

newsletter this morning said "lots of hip to come in 2021". delicious. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    edited December 2020
    So far on the crate:
    Toddler T-shirt “Don’t Wake Daddy”
    Day 1) cool T-shirt 👍
    Day 2) HIP gaiter - eh I won’t wear it much
    Day 3) HIP sticker and pin. 👎
    Day 4) Hip slipmat for turntable - soso 

So far underwhelmed.  Will take pics later when home. 
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
    pearljim said:
    So far on the crate:
    Toddler T-shirt “Don’t Wake Daddy”
    Day 1) cool T-shirt 👍
    Day 2) HIP gaiter - eh I won’t wear it much
    Day 3) HIP sticker and pin. 👎
    Day 4) Hip slipmat for turntable - soso 

So far underwhelmed.  Will take pics later when home. 
    i certainly hope it gets better than that for that kind of money. jesus. there'd better be something signed in there for those of you that shelled it out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yep, I agree Hugh.  Sadly I’m used to the PJ merch roulette (Gigaton view finder) rings a bell hahahahaha.  Mystery boxes etc...
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    All I know is that if I had bought a karate I would not have been able to only open one thing a day. I’d tear it all open in one shot. 
    Day 5) Xmas tree ornament - soso

Roberto Clemente.
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Hey what’s a gaiter? Out here that means like a thing you wear over your snow boots. I assume that’s not what came in the box? 
    It goes over your head and covers you from neck to nose. You see a lot of football coaches wearing them.

Roberto Clemente.
    Ohhh okay gotcha. We call that a buff lol. 
    Day 6) red hat (toque), with Hip emblem. Nice and I’ll wear it often this winter but so far these items come nowhere near price paid. That said I love the HIP and this won’t change that.  Just hope the last 6 days are a bit better :)

Roberto Clemente.
    I used to mock my kids for watching unboxing videos and now every day I’m like ‘I wonder what came in the Hip box’. 
    Thanks for sharing man. 
    toolie said:
    I used to mock my kids for watching unboxing videos and now every day I’m like ‘I wonder what came in the Hip box’. 
    Thanks for sharing man. 
    Quite welcome :)

Roberto Clemente.
    Day 7) Zippo Lighter. I now have to go through by my HIP stash as I think I own this. If so this will be my first double. As I do have 10 or so Zippos I’ll give this a 👍 only because if I do own it already I’ll gift my double. 

Roberto Clemente.
    pearljim said:
    Day 7) Zippo Lighter. I now have to go through by my HIP stash as I think I own this. If so this will be my first double. As I do have 10 or so Zippos I’ll give this a 👍 only because if I do own it already I’ll gift my double. 
    how odd. i was just looking at my zippos last night (Headstones, Ed x 2), and wondered to myself "I wonder if the Hip ever put out a zippo". 

if you'd consider selling, I'd be your man. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

pearljim said:
    how odd. i was just looking at my zippos last night (Headstones, Ed x 2), and wondered to myself "I wonder if the Hip ever put out a zippo". 

Hugh, just checked and I do not have one.  At least not where my HIP stuff is generally kept. If I do come across another one I will definitely reach out to you. 

Roberto Clemente.
    pearljim said:
    pearljim said:

Hugh, just checked and I do not have one.  At least not where my HIP stuff is generally kept. If I do come across another one I will definitely reach out to you. 
    cool. i know those gifts don't sound like much when compared to the price, but they all seem like very rare/limited items; i don't think anything so far has been or is currently for sale. all purchased separately on the secondary market, it would probably take a long time and money. hopefully there's a couple "bigger ticket" items in there for you, but if not, it's not terrible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

You’re right Hugh.  I am hoping for something cooler these last few days but thankful for whatever it may be 👍

Roberto Clemente.