NCAA College Football -

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FSu dodged Virginia today. :lol:
    And Temple dodged Cincinnati while Minnesota chickened out, ending a 113 year streak of playing Wisconsin. Meanwhile, Saban chickened out of losing his 3rd consecutive Iron Bowl while his players opted to move forward with playing the game.

I'm curious to see if the B1G is willing to change their current system should the Buckeyes not qualify for the B1G Title game.
    Wisconsin would already be out.  I don't think they will,  that would be weak and I'm a buckeye.  No such rule for the playoffs though. 
    No, there is not. But I really don't see the committee putting OSU in if they only play 5 games. I just think it undermines the entirety of the season and of the committee having to sort through all the factors this year. Don't misunderstand me, I (along with almost every CFB fan) are aware that Ohio St. is a top 4 team. I just don't believe they leave out an undefeated BYU or Cincinnati (or 1 loss Florida) in favor of a 5-0 OSU.
    Considering no one played out of conference,  I don't know how anytime can say how good cincy or BYU is.  And do you really think  either wouldn't be smoked by Clemson or Bama? If the goal is to put the 4 beat in,  how do you put Cincy in there to lose by 35?
    As I said, everyone thinks OSU is a top 4 team. Hell, we're all pretty damn sure of it. But they still have to show it on the field. And all I'm doing is using the same argument that Herbstreit used on GameDay this morning. Of the CFB guys, his is the opinion I generally respect the most. As of now, OSU has gone 4-0 against 4 teams with a combined record of 9-14. But if they should still be in based on what we think after 4 games, why risk injury and play another snap? Or after September any other year. And I don't mean this just for Ohio State, but any team.

All that said, I don't always buy into everything Herbie says. But I do disagree with a 5-0 team making it over 10-0 or 11-0....or even 9-1 teams. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    More fun stuff to think about over the next couple weeks:

•Bama beats Florida in the SEC Championship.
    •Notre Dame beats Clemson in ACC Championship (impossible, I know)
    •Ohio St doesn't qualify for B1G Championship 
    •IU wins out, including B1G Championship 
    •USC wins out, including PAC12 Championship
    •Cincinnati wins out including AAC Championship 
    •BYU wins out

My guess, if all of the above happens, is a playoff of: 

Bama
    ND 
    Cincinnati 
    A&M

There could be all sorts of CFB madness this season.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FSu dodged Virginia today. :lol:
    And Temple dodged Cincinnati while Minnesota chickened out, ending a 113 year streak of playing Wisconsin. Meanwhile, Saban chickened out of losing his 3rd consecutive Iron Bowl while his players opted to move forward with playing the game.

I'm curious to see if the B1G is willing to change their current system should the Buckeyes not qualify for the B1G Title game.
    Wisconsin would already be out.  I don't think they will,  that would be weak and I'm a buckeye.  No such rule for the playoffs though. 
    No, there is not. But I really don't see the committee putting OSU in if they only play 5 games. I just think it undermines the entirety of the season and of the committee having to sort through all the factors this year. Don't misunderstand me, I (along with almost every CFB fan) are aware that Ohio St. is a top 4 team. I just don't believe they leave out an undefeated BYU or Cincinnati (or 1 loss Florida) in favor of a 5-0 OSU.
    Considering no one played out of conference,  I don't know how anytime can say how good cincy or BYU is.  And do you really think  either wouldn't be smoked by Clemson or Bama? If the goal is to put the 4 beat in,  how do you put Cincy in there to lose by 35?
    As I said, everyone thinks OSU is a top 4 team. Hell, we're all pretty damn sure of it. But they still have to show it on the field. And all I'm doing is using the same argument that Herbstreit used on GameDay this morning. Of the CFB guys, his is the opinion I generally respect the most. As of now, OSU has gone 4-0 against 4 teams with a combined record of 9-14. But if they should still be in based on what we think after 4 games, why risk injury and play another snap? Or after September any other year. And I don't mean this just for Ohio State, but any team.

All that said, I don't always buy into everything Herbie says. But I do disagree with a 5-0 team making it over 10-0 or 11-0....or even 9-1 teams. 
    fucked up season.  It sucks that Fields is missing all this time.  He's probably the most talented QB ever to play at Ohio State.  
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    UGA looks like a totally different team offensively with JT Daniels at QB.  I hope he returns next year. Go Dawgs!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    JojoRice said:
    UGA looks like a totally different team offensively with JT Daniels at QB.  I hope he returns next year. Go Dawgs!

Does he still wear that goofy handband?  Felt badly for him when he was wiped out in the season opener last year.  Slovis ended up being better in a one year to one year comparison and he didn't wear a goofy bandana over his head and try to grow the world's worst goatee.  :lol:

I wish him good luck, seems like a good kid.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    JojoRice said:

Does he still wear that goofy handband?  Felt badly for him when he was wiped out in the season opener last year.  Slovis ended up being better in a one year to one year comparison and he didn't wear a goofy bandana over his head and try to grow the world's worst goatee.  :lol:

I wish him good luck, seems like a good kid.
    Didn't notice any headband or bandana.  He did shave off that goofy mustache though.  He's clean shaven currently. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Everyone's beloved boy, Herbie, joins the asswipe parade, and then has to apologize.

These people are so fucking dumb.

Everyone's beloved boy, Herbie, joins the asswipe parade, and then has to apologize.

That's Herbie being a homer. You hear that in the comments section of Eleven Warriors. 
    mrussel1 said:

That's Herbie being a homer. You hear that in the comments section of Eleven Warriors. 

If Homer = Dickbag, then we agree.
    mrussel1 said:

Meh.. Herbie is the best analyst out there.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Not giving him a pass for this.  Not like I hate the guy, but he exposed himself as being a grade A clown by making those comments.  Just straight up stupid shit to be saying on a show like that. 
    Someone being a Homer doesn't stop them from being in the same camp as dodo Dabo on this one.

edited December 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I happen to agree with this. Would you feel the same way if he were a former Notre Dame or Michigan player?

*edited to add "or Michigan"
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I happen to agree with this. Would you feel the same way if he were a former Notre Dame or Michigan player?

No I would hate him every minute of the day since I'm a homer too.  I still hate Tom Brady and Brady Quinn.
    That's right!  Same with Brian Kelly, and Ara Parseghian, and Knute Rockne.  I do like Gerry Faust though, because he sucked and is from Ohio.  
    But that is rivalry hate.
    Being Donnie's Suck Boy....that adds a new level of disrespect.
    You can go fuck off! :rofl:

I had fellow Irish fans texting me about that back when it was announced. And given the region I'm in, you can guess who they voted for. It was like they tried to use this story to sway my political opinion. Comically bad attempts. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

No I would hate him every minute of the day since I'm a homer too.  I still hate Tom Brady and Brady Quinn.
    I love and appreciate the honesty here! Reading it literally made me lol.

mrussel1 said:
    That's right!  Same with Brian Kelly, and Ara Parseghian, and Knute Rockne.  I do like Gerry Faust though, because he sucked and is from Ohio.  
    Touchdown Jesus loves you! 🤣
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    And, here is a well written article detailing some of the reasons Dabo is being a donkey.
    https://theathletic.com/2217562/2020/11/23/clemson-florida-state-game-controversy-postponement?source=user-shared-article

The whole problem was waiting until 2 1/2 hours before the game the cancel. I believe they were getting ready to head to the stadium when they got the news. Clemson offered to retest everyone and wait around a few extra days. Call it the night before, fine. Just seems odd to wait until 2 hours before game time to decide it isn’t safe to play, when Clemson followed all guidelines. 
    I know you love him since he's the coach of hour favorite team, but the guy is a fucking douchelord.
    mace1229 said:
    And, here is a well written article detailing some of the reasons Dabo is being a donkey.
    https://theathletic.com/2217562/2020/11/23/clemson-florida-state-game-controversy-postponement?source=user-shared-article

The whole problem was waiting until 2 1/2 hours before the game the cancel. I believe they were getting ready to head to the stadium when they got the news. Clemson offered to retest everyone and wait around a few extra days. Call it the night before, fine. Just seems odd to wait until 2 hours before game time to decide it isn’t safe to play, when Clemson followed all guidelines. 
    That all may be true,  but it doesn't mean the Noles were scared to play them and this was just an excuse. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

That all may be true,  but it doesn't mean the Noles were scared to play them and this was just an excuse. 
    Yeah, I don’t think it was out of fear of playing them. But it’s just rude and inconsiderate. 
    If you have dinner plans with a friend and you got a babysitter, dressed up and are on the way to meet them and you get a text saying their car broke down yesterday and are stuck at home. Wouldn’t you be like way to wait until the last second to tell me? And then you say well I’m already left my house and paid for a sitter, I’ll pick you up. And they say no thanks. Wouldn’t you be kinda pissed?
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yeah, I don’t think it was out of fear of playing them. But it’s just rude and inconsiderate. 
    If you have dinner plans with a friend and you got a babysitter, dressed up and are on the way to meet them and you get a text saying their car broke down yesterday and are stuck at home. Wouldn’t you be like way to wait until the last second to tell me? And then you say well I’m already left my house and paid for a sitter, I’ll pick you up. And they say no thanks. Wouldn’t you be kinda pissed?
    I guess, sure.  But I wouldn't declare that I think their car didn't actually break down, rather they went on a meth binge.  
    But didn't FSU request to reschedule, ACC said no and Clemson didn't want to reschedule?  From the State..

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney gets his wish with Tuesday’s announcement. Swinney made it clear he did not want to make a return trip to Tallahassee this year. Clemson’s game at FSU scheduled for Nov. 21 was postponed after a Tigers offensive lineman tested positive for COVID-19 on the Friday ahead of the game.

Swinney, the following Sunday, said: “If they want to play Clemson, in my opinion, they need to come to Clemson or they need to pay for all expenses. Other than that, there’s no reason for us to play them. We were there, we were ready and we met the standard” to play.

mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

I guess, sure.  But I wouldn't declare that I think their car didn't actually break down, rather they went on a meth binge.  
    But didn't FSU request to reschedule, ACC said no and Clemson didn't want to reschedule?  From the State..

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney gets his wish with Tuesday’s announcement. Swinney made it clear he did not want to make a return trip to Tallahassee this year. Clemson’s game at FSU scheduled for Nov. 21 was postponed after a Tigers offensive lineman tested positive for COVID-19 on the Friday ahead of the game.

Swinney, the following Sunday, said: “If they want to play Clemson, in my opinion, they need to come to Clemson or they need to pay for all expenses. Other than that, there’s no reason for us to play them. We were there, we were ready and we met the standard” to play.

You're right about FSU and the ACC. But Clemson was willing to reschedule. They just said either FSU covers the travel expense for the second trip or comes to Clemson. Seems fair, since they already spent 300k traveling for a game FSU canceled 2 hours before game time. 
    Dabo and Herbie can roll around in the mud, together. 
    Their fanboys will remain their fanboys.  These opinions don't make them awful people, just red-ass dummies when it comes to their football teams.
    Hopefully none of these kids become "Long Haulers" and carry the damage from the disease with them as they move on.
    Everyone seems to hate a team when they win more than once in a decade. I never watched a regular season college game in my life until about 10 years ago when I married into it. Took a couple years to be really a fan. But my wife's family was born and raised in Clemson, her dad taught there for 28 years, most of her family still lives in Clemson. So their blood is pretty orange. 5 or 6 years ago when they won the first time against Alabama and I was wearing my Clemson sweatshirt I couldn't go to the store without 10 people cheering for them. Now they are the old guys people want to see dethroned. 
    Still don't know what a red-ass dummy is though. 
    mace1229 said:
    Everyone seems to hate a team when they win more than once in a decade. I never watched a regular season college game in my life until about 10 years ago when I married into it. Took a couple years to be really a fan. But my wife's family was born and raised in Clemson, her dad taught there for 28 years, most of her family still lives in Clemson. So their blood is pretty orange. 5 or 6 years ago when they won the first time against Alabama and I was wearing my Clemson sweatshirt I couldn't go to the store without 10 people cheering for them. Now they are the old guys people want to see dethroned. 

Since you don't know, I can show you a picture of some famous ones:

mace1229 said:

Also, I attended a college football blue-blood.  One of the greatest histories of all...and also lived through an extended run of great play where everyone hated on them.
    I don't dislike Clemson, at all.  They are not a traditional power but they sure as hell are a modern one.
    Their coach is a dickhead.  Great coach.  Great recruiter.
    mace1229 said:

Also, I attended a college football blue-blood.  One of the greatest histories of all...and also lived through an extended run of great play where everyone hated on them.
    I don't dislike Clemson, at all.  They are not a traditional power but they sure as hell are a modern one.
    Totally agree here....only I was too dumb, poor and not Catholic enough to attend the school for which I cheer.

Disagreeing with something like this is not about people wanting to see Clemson dethroned. 
    edited December 2020
    mace1229 said:

I think he's just a good, not great, coach. But where he excels is recruiting and building his community. The kids want to play for him and want to stay there. The people under him want to stay there. Venables leaves and takes an offer in the NFL or as a head coach somewhere else, they may not be a championship team. Still great, but probably not #1. Its tough to keep all those people around and be a dickhead.  Either he's masters the skill of doing both, or he's actually a good guy. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on