Options

Spotify Year in Review - How much did you stream?

tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
For those with Spotify, open the app and you should see your streaming stats for the year. I felt proud of my numbers, but I’m sure I’m far from the highest when stacked against you guys. 

Top 0.05% with 6,678 minutes of Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    As far as what I listened to...  Primus was the most at 991 minutes of my 20K which puts me in the top .5% for them.  I listen to 413 different artists, so Im happy with that.
  • Options
    sfrdudersfrduder Posts: 263
    Similar. And I though top 0.1% was impressive!

Willie Nelson took #2, phish #3, Neil young #4, Grateful Dead #5. 

I may have been a Pearl Jam fan since 1991, but Phish is definitely my primary drug with ~ 200 shows. 
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    Good stuff! :sunglasses:
    There's similar thread over in 'Other Music' if you wanna check it out....
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/287885/spotify-wrapped-2020-most-listened#latest

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834

• Options
    Nothing:)
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Plus about 100 spins of Gigaton on vinyl.

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883
    I feel proud of the fact that I don't use Spotify. They leech off the hard work of artists and just collect all of the money. I buy my music. Fuck Spotify.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited December 2020
    As far as I know, spotify is a straight company who pays royalty.  It has hugely diminished burning/ripping/sharing music which was the largest leak in the industry ship.

It has also been an absolute treasure trove for me, expanding my musical horizons so much.  I let the thing play and it goes on a journey of music and artists I would have found otherwise.  This in turn inspires me to visit their website, social media, see them live.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Im an Apple Music guy.  I dont think i can pull these stats
  • Options
    I cant find how to get this up on Spotify 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 611
    It just comes up under your 2020 wrapped. Then it just goes through a bunch of different stats. Right on the Home Screen 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 745
    Superblood Wolfmoon was my most played track of the year by a considerable distance.   I often used to go for hour-long walks at he beginning of the first lockdown and have it on repeat the entire time :')

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    I wonder  if anyone beats my d.o.t.c count
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    As far as I know, spotify is a straight company who pays royalty.  It has hugely diminished burning/ripping/sharing music which was the largest leak in the industry ship.

It has also been an absolute treasure trove for me, expanding my musical horizons so much.  I let the thing play and it goes on a journey of music and artists I would have found otherwise.  This in turn inspires me to visit their website, social media, see them live.
    They straight up pay the artists shit. The larger bands, like PJ, do well, but smaller to medium bands get paid barely anything for millions of listens. Just because you think it's diminished pirating doesn't make it a stand up company. I like the idea, I just wish they would treat artists better. Just another case of those with money ripping off artists. Nothing new.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Mate we all buy everything  pearl jam put out and 1000s in merch . We put in
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,908
    It can be both ways with Spotify. They can be a shit company (they are) and offer a fantastic service (streaming basically everything is great for a music fan). 
  • Options
    jstu39jstu39 Posts: 140
    MayDay10 said:

They straight up pay the artists shit. The larger bands, like PJ, do well, but smaller to medium bands get paid barely anything for millions of listens. Just because you think it's diminished pirating doesn't make it a stand up company. I like the idea, I just wish they would treat artists better. Just another case of those with money ripping off artists. Nothing new.
    But what is the alternative? Honest question, not trying to argue. Radio stations have provided free listens for decades. And promoters would try to get their artists played. Spotify also provides a place for exposure. Can this lead to fans finding smaller bands and growing their paying base? I realize this is an oversimplification and in a perfect world they would pay artists more, as long as it doesn’t raise my rates! Lol. 
  • Options
    alex_scalex_sc Posts: 116
    0.05% and 7700 minutes. Superblood Wolfmoon was my top song overall, which surprised me a bit but my son really does like it so we did have it on repeat a lot.
    Philly 05 ~ Camden I 06 ~ DC 06 ~ Columbia 08 ~ Va. Beach 08 ~ Camden I 08 ~ Atlanta 12 ~ Charlotte 13 ~ Columbia 16
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    On average, 100,000,000 million streams will score you a $400k payout from Spotify.  While that's not nothing and there is additional value in the band potentially being introduced to new fans and their potential revenue through the app's algorithm, it sure doesn't seem like a lot for a staggering number like 100,000,000
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    edited December 2020
    Im an Apple Music guy.  I dont think i can pull these stats
    https://music.apple.com/replay
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    I split between Apple Music and Nugs. My Apple Music numbers are skewed due to the kids but my top 5 was 
    Peal Jam at 84 hours  (SBWM most played song)
    Frightened Rabbit  28 hours
    DMB at 12 hours
    Moon Taxi at 4 hours
    The Band CAMINO at 4 hours
  • Options
    Brian Fallon was my number 2 streamed artist. I actually listen to pj every day I think.. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    SBWM, DOTC, Quick Escape, Alright and Who Ever Said were my top songs in that order.
    Top decade was 2000s.
    Top artists: PJ (0.05%), Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Ray Charles, RATM
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,148
    I streamed zero minutes in 2020.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,148
    jstu39 said:
    MayDay10 said:

But what is the alternative? Honest question, not trying to argue. Radio stations have provided free listens for decades. And promoters would try to get their artists played. Spotify also provides a place for exposure. Can this lead to fans finding smaller bands and growing their paying base? I realize this is an oversimplification and in a perfect world they would pay artists more, as long as it doesn’t raise my rates! Lol. 
    (Terrestrial) radio is free to listeners, but terrestrial radio stations pay licensing fees to music publishers in exchange for the right to play copyrighted works in a commercial context.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    jstu39 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Radio wasn't free. They got their money by playing commercials and we paid by listening to commercials. I fully acknowledge the positives of streaming services. It's a great idea. Now, if they could take it a step further and pay the artists a bit more it would be a win win for everyone involved and I would probably subscribe. I just can't be a part of that system that fucks over most artists. We have to pick our battles and I would rather just buy a DL, record, or CD to support more musicians. As an artist, it's personal.
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    KK257911KK257911 Indiana Posts: 18
    I thought this thread was near its end, but it picked up again yesterday, so I will add my 2 cents.  First, I highly recommend the book ROCKONOMICS by Alan B. Krueger.  Hands down the best music book I read this year and I read a lot of music books every year.  It was published in 2019 and was well-researched.  Among other things, I learned a ton about streaming services and how they work.  I have felt this way for awhile, but the book confirmed: the better streaming platforms become at delivering personalized services, the more likely subscribers will stay.  This is exactly why I have a paid subscription and stick with Spotify.  My first playlists date back to August 2011.  According to my 2020 Wrapped, I listened for 119,806 minutes this year.  That's approximately 3 months of nothing but listening to music.  Now, I know that is a little skewed, but not by much.  Spotify allows me to listen to my favorite music ALL THE TIME.  One of the best features is the ability to download my playlists and listen offline.  This has been especially enjoyable during the pandemic.  Like most of you, Pearl Jam was my #1 artist - no surprise.  But, I was also proud to learn I listened to 2,107 artists and discovered 600 new artists in 2020.  Rock was my #1 genre, but I listened to 408 genres (didn't know there were that many) this year, including 154 new ones.  I attribute this to the ease of listening to music through Spotify at home and on the job.  I am a university professor and using Spotify I play music in my class (and now on Zoom) every day.  I actually teach two courses that require students to listen to music as part of their coursework, and believe it or not, students show up to class (and Zoom) early to listen to my "load in" songs every day - yes, I pinch myself constantly.  From a personal economic stance, paying $9.99 per month for ease of access and convenience is a no-brainer.  I paid approximately $0.001 per minute of listening this year.  Does this mean I ripped the artists off?  I do not think so.  I still have a vast collection of music by my favorite artists, but I cannot take that with me everywhere I go. Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to play my vinyl collection through Zoom - but, I have showed my students how a record player works!  One last bit of information from the ROCKONOMICS book: Streaming services that rely heavily on ad-supported customers (non-subscribers) have fewer dollars to pay out to artists because ads generate less revenue than subscribers do.  Something to think about if you or people you know are enjoying the "free" music, but want to support artists.  No matter what you think about streaming services, they are the present and the future of music listening.  I Am Analog - so, I do not like this anymore than anyone else of my generation, but I do accept it.  Be safe and happy listening in 2021!
    '00 - Virginia Beach, '08 - West Seattle 1 (EV), '11 - Chicago 2 (EV), '12 - Missoula, '13 - Wrigley, '14 - Cincinnati, '16 - Lexington, '16 - Wrigley 1 & 2, '18 - Seattle 1 & 2, '18 - Missoula, '18 - Wrigley 2, '24 - Wrigley 1 & 2