"Are You" traveling for Thanksgiving this year? Are you getting tested to do so?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Hell no, you cray.
    Gag, lol
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Hell no, you cray.
    Also smoking a Turkey breast this year. 

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Hell no, you cray.
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    We are also not doing turkey, I am going to smoke a pork butt.
    Yum, what kind of smoker do you use?  I have a heavily modified Weber Smokey Mountain and I love it!  Just got a bunch of apricot wood, which is excellent if you’ve never used it. We need to start a grilling/smoking thread :)
    I use an old Brinkman electric smoker.  Electric is frowned upon in the snobby smoking circles, but it does a great job.  They can fiddlefaddle with their units all day if they want, I set it and forget it and it turns out great.  
    Right on, I guess you could call mine “semi” electric, as I put a fan blower temperature regulator on it.  Completely takes the guesswork out of it :)
  • Hell no, you cray.
    Nope.

Mom’s birthday is day after Thanksgiving, we’re hoping the weather will be good enough one of the days to gather around the fire pit & have a drink, but we aren’t going over for a meal (or going in the house for that matter). 

Wife & I toyed w/ the idea of trying to get tested to see her parents at Christmas, but things are only getting worse, and I’m already down on that plan. I’m letting her come to that realization on her own, which is already happening. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    brianlux said:
    Pie?  Did someone say, "Pie"?
    :smiley:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • My sister in law is going to have Thanksgiving this year. Its a tricky situation. My sister in law is a nurse and works with covid patients. My wife is a nurse and does the same. My nephew is a firefighter and 5 of his fellow firefighters have tested positive in the last month. I have traveled all over this country in the last 8 months doing what I do. It is a tricky situation. I feel its best if we all just stay home. The nephew, my sister in law, and my wife have all been tested recently and all is well. I have never gotten a test.

Not quite sure whats going to happen Thursday. My mommy in law at 1st said lets all just stay at home, but now she has changed her mind and wants too see her family. I don't know. I will see what everyone decides in the next few days.

In the meantime, since I am not to sure what will happen Thursday?

I am putting a 21lb bird in the oven today for me and the bride. Just the 2 of us. hahahahah

Gonna be a months worth of leftovers.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Hell no, you cray.

My sister in law is going to have Thanksgiving this year. Its a tricky situation. My sister in law is a nurse and works with covid patients. My wife is a nurse and does the same. My nephew is a firefighter and 5 of his fellow firefighters have tested positive in the last month. I have traveled all over this country in the last 8 months doing what I do. It is a tricky situation. I feel its best if we all just stay home. The nephew, my sister in law, and my wife have all been tested recently and all is well. I have never gotten a test.

Not quite sure whats going to happen Thursday. My mommy in law at 1st said lets all just stay at home, but now she has changed her mind and wants too see her family. I don't know. I will see what everyone decides in the next few days.

I am putting a 21lb bird in the oven today for me and the bride. Just the 2 of us. hahahahah

Either that or one amazing eating challenge.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • OnWis97 said:

My sister in law is going to have Thanksgiving this year. Its a tricky situation. My sister in law is a nurse and works with covid patients. My wife is a nurse and does the same. My nephew is a firefighter and 5 of his fellow firefighters have tested positive in the last month. I have traveled all over this country in the last 8 months doing what I do. It is a tricky situation. I feel its best if we all just stay home. The nephew, my sister in law, and my wife have all been tested recently and all is well. I have never gotten a test.

So when I told a good friend I was cooking a 21lb bird for the 2 of us?

His response?

Let me guess you are also cooking 75lbs of potatoes and 25lbs of cranberries?

Fact is, everyone knows I love cooking a Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone on this board knows for the last almost 20 years that SPEEDY goes all out on Thanksgiving and Christmas as far as the feast goes. I enjoy it. Whether it be feeding 6 people or 16 people, I have no problem cooking the feast.

I was not going to let covid ruin this for me. Its already turned all our lives into Hell.

Im cooking a feast today, and I will have tons of leftovers. And all is GOOD in my world, at least for a day.

Hell no, you cray.
    OnWis97 said:

His response?

Fact is, everyone knows I love cooking a Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone on this board knows for the last almost 20 years that SPEEDY goes all out on Thanksgiving and Christmas as far as the feast goes. I enjoy it. Whether it be feeding 6 people or 16 people, I have no problem cooking the feast.

I was not going to let covid ruin this for me. Its already turned all our lives into Hell.

Im cooking a feast today, and I will have tons of leftovers. And all is GOOD in my world, at least for a day.

Good for you, man. You’ve got to keep doing what makes you happy.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

His response?

Good for you, man. You’ve got to keep doing what makes you happy.

Thanks. And damn right! Whatever makes you happy.

Hope all is well.

• Well I asked my wife to pick up some veggies yesterday, for our feast today. From what I can see, she picked up some lovely green beans, and that's all she picked up. hahaha

So its a 21lb bird

3lbs of Yukon gold potatoes

And a lb of green beans.

Thanksgiving 2020

I feel like Peppermint Patty

Wheres the pumpkin pie?

Wheres the dinner rolls?

Wheres the sweet potatoes?

Hahahahahahahaha

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    This morning I made the agonizing decision to not go to see my family over Thanksgiving. I had planned to go. I had my train tickets, my cat sitter was all set up. I stood in line for almost 5 hours yesterday to get a Covid test (which was negative). I have had some anxiety over the decision to go or not for several weeks. After watching the news this week, I was tossing and turning about it all last night. This morning I woke up and knew I should not go. It was a really hard decision since this will literally be the first Thanksgiving I have not spent with my family. We are really big on Thanksgiving. My family was very understanding. My mom said next time I come she will make me her stuffing (which is one thing I will really miss). My brother and sister and their families all live within 20 minutes of my parents so they have been seeing them this whole time (with masks and social distancing). I am the only one who moved away. I am just glad that I went a month ago to see them - and everything worked out fine. When I made the decision this morning not to go, I cried over it for a good hour. Then I decided to focus on what I am thankful for, rather than what I am going to miss out on. I thought about all the people who can't see their parents for Thanksgiving because they lost them to Covid. I thought about the fact that my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews are all healthy. They are all still employed. They will get to be together, and I will get to Zoom in for a bit. That all made me feel a bit better, and definitely reinforced my decision. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I put any of them at risk. So, since I am currently single - I guess it will be a little Thanksgiving for one this year.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:
    This morning I made the agonizing decision to not go to see my family over Thanksgiving. I had planned to go. I had my train tickets, my cat sitter was all set up. I stood in line for almost 5 hours yesterday to get a Covid test (which was negative). I have had some anxiety over the decision to go or not for several weeks. After watching the news this week, I was tossing and turning about it all last night. This morning I woke up and knew I should not go. It was a really hard decision since this will literally be the first Thanksgiving I have not spent with my family. We are really big on Thanksgiving. My family was very understanding. My mom said next time I come she will make me her stuffing (which is one thing I will really miss). My brother and sister and their families all live within 20 minutes of my parents so they have been seeing them this whole time (with masks and social distancing). I am the only one who moved away. I am just glad that I went a month ago to see them - and everything worked out fine. When I made the decision this morning not to go, I cried over it for a good hour. Then I decided to focus on what I am thankful for, rather than what I am going to miss out on. I thought about all the people who can't see their parents for Thanksgiving because they lost them to Covid. I thought about the fact that my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews are all healthy. They are all still employed. They will get to be together, and I will get to Zoom in for a bit. That all made me feel a bit better, and definitely reinforced my decision. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I put any of them at risk. So, since I am currently single - I guess it will be a little Thanksgiving for one this year.
    I hope your kitties like turkey ;)

I’m glad you went with your gut, difficult as it was. And yes, can’t lose sight of those good things in the midst of this maelstrom. Not just on Thanksgiving, either.  

Probably small potatoes, but I would imagine there will be some activity here. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Hell no, you cray.
    GlowGirl said:
    Ack, sorry to hear you will be alone.  Glad you made the decision you felt best.
    Also glad your family didn't give you grief for it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    GlowGirl said:
    Ack, sorry to hear you will be alone.  Glad you made the decision you felt best.
    Also glad your family didn't give you grief for it.
    Thanks. I feel good about the decision. I actually just spoke with one of my best friends who lives a block away from me. He and his boyfriend are also going to be here for Thanksgiving. I spent election night with them at their apartment (which is big enough for three of us to not get so close together). So, maybe I will go over there and spend it with them.

hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:

I’m glad you went with your gut, difficult as it was. And yes, can’t lose sight of those good things in the midst of this maelstrom. Not just on Thanksgiving, either.  

Kitties love turkey. Turkey is my least favorite part of Thanksgiving. I go for the sides. But, yes we should try to keep in mind the good things despite this shit show of a year. I am trying my best to do that, as we all should.

GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:

Kitties love turkey. Turkey is my least favorite part of Thanksgiving. I go for the sides. But, yes we should try to keep in mind the good things despite this shit show of a year. I am trying my best to do that, as we all should.

Seriously! For me, the turkey IS the side :lol:
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:

Turkey is merely the mechanism by which I make gravy ;)

Glowgirl, sorry to hear how hard the decision has been but you’re doing the right thing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I am planning to drive a few hours to spend thanksgiving with my brother and his family.  There will be five of us.  I haven’t seen any relatives since December.   If I catch it then so be it.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

We’re Being So Safe

November 25, 2020

Don’t worry—with this whole new COVID-19 surge, we’ve decided it’s better to play it safe and not do anything for Thanksgiving this year. It isn’t worth the risk.

We’re just going to have a small dinner. Me, your father, and Emily and Jeff from next door—we’re like a pod thing. So small and safe. Their son might be driving in from Michigan with his new girlfriend as well, but everyone has been strictly quarantining.

Really, I haven’t gone anywhere or seen anyone in weeks—months even! I only ducked out to the grocery store yesterday. Well, I had to go to four different grocery stores because no one seemed to have xanthan gum, which I need for the gluten-free piecrust I’m making in case Emily and Jeff’s other son decides to drive up from D.C. to join us. You’ve met him. He works for that congressman from Ohio, so he’s definitely been COVID-tested many times.

And, don’t worry, I wore two masks to the store to be extra safe! One of them was even a fancy KN95 that I got from my friend Carol—you know, she works at that nursing home on Eighty-sixth? She gave it to me when we met for a socially distanced lunch last week at that tapas place downtown that does the squid thing you like. They’ve got this cute little outdoor dining space set up, with plastic tarps and heat lamps, so it almost feels like you’re inside, but it’s outside, so it’s safe!

Listen, there’s nothing to worry about. I’m being super careful, and this is the healthiest I’ve ever been. My neighbor Paula has been teaching these yoga classes for anyone in the building who wants to join, and just look how far I can bend now. It’s all thanks to Paula’s guiding hand. Yeah, we meet in person. We tried doing the classes over Zoom, but it wasn’t the same. It honestly started to feel more dangerous not to have her in the room to correct my form. Bad form can cause real damage! But, don’t worry, she only allows, like, six, sometimes eight people per class, and she’s in a B-line apartment, so she’s got that big living room. Practically a hundred and eighty square feet. And she always keeps the windows open when it’s not raining or cold. It’s so safe!

I promise I’m taking this very seriously. Unlike your cousin Kevin. You won’t believe what Kevin did. He went to some kind of crazy sex party or concert or something in a warehouse on Staten Island. Your Aunt Susan said that he came home covered in glitter—lips and chin, too, so you know he wasn’t wearing a mask. Can you believe how irresponsible that is? Behaving like that when he lives with his sixty-five-year-old mother? So dangerous! I said to her, “You have to tell Kevin to be more careful. This COVID stuff is serious!” Yes, I said exactly that when she came over yesterday to watch “The Crown.” I’m not messing around with this stuff.

Well, O.K., sure, I did take the subway once last week, and also when I went to the dentist on Monday. But the train car was practically empty, and the twenty or so people in there were being very careful. There was even an old lady on the train—much, much older than me—so everyone was really diligent. She was doing that thing where she put a tissue between her hand and the pole to avoid any germs. And she was meticulous about only pulling down her mask when she needed to sneeze into that tissue, but then put the tissue right back on the pole, so her hands didn’t touch anything. And, don’t worry, I made sure to only lick that subway pole twice, three times max. So I’m being totally safe. You don’t have to worry at all.

Anyway, you’re coming for Thanksgiving, right? It’ll be so safe.

Susanna Wolff has contributed humor pieces to The New Yorker and newyorker.com since 2012.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:

Turkey is merely the mechanism by which I make gravy ;)

Glowgirl, sorry to hear how hard the decision has been but you’re doing the right thing. 
    Way to go GGirl!

Hedo & Reader babes: Turkey is that which makes my dad's recipe of stuffing I make yum, yum, yummy!

SPEEDY - Spank that silly ass shopper of yours! 

bootlegger: Enjoy your family time!

Happy American Holidays, everyone! 
    My husband and I will be home, but I think the fines in place whoch the powers that be are imposing regarding get-togethers inside a person’s own home are bullshit. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    Sure, no one likes to be policed in their own home, but I see it the same as a speeding ticket.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    tish said:
    Sure, no one likes to be policed in their own home, but I see it the same as a speeding ticket.

The few places around the world where the pandemic has been less drastic are places that don't have the issues that countries like the U.S. have with being told what works best.  We place a higher value on what we see as "freedoms" over what is safe for us as a whole.  It's sort of akin to our disdain for delayed gratification.  We want the short term gains NOW rather that be willing to wait for what is better further down the road.  We're a short-sighted people shooting ourselves in the foot.  It's sad and tragic how we (as a whole) behave.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Jim Jones Thanksgiving. Put a bullet in the chamber, spin the cylinder, place the gun on the table and see what happens. Or go on a mass shooting spree with spittle but because it wasn’t done with a firearm, the radical leftist dems are coming for your guns. Give to the NRA. SUCKERS.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    tish said:
    I see it differently. Everyone knows the risks at this point. If you choose to throw caution to the wind and risk your health - and that of others too, who are knowingly and willingly jumping into the pot - then so be it and I hope illness doesn’t befall them. However, it’s not the Covid police’s job (who are hypocritical and nonsensical about it anyway).

Then again, most people can’t police themselves for shit :lol:
  • Hell no, you cray.
    People need stopping. Look is south korea and countries  near there. People do the fuck as they  are told 
     Virus controlled  its that simple
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    hedonist said:
    My husband and I will be home, but I think the fines in place whoch the powers that be are imposing regarding get-togethers inside a person’s own home are bullshit. 
    Totally agree. The police chief in my town announced that he instructed the police department not to enforce this (no more than ten people) unless it is a huge party. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Hell no, you cray.
    About to put the brined bird on the smoker! Have a good day, everyone!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com