Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

How Toronto police found the suspect in Christine Jessop’s murder through DNA

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/how-toronto-police-found-the-suspect-in-christine-jessop-e2-80-99s-murder-through-dna/ar-BB1a5Vw4

Now the Jessop family and the Morin family can have closure...

It's just too bad the corrupt cops did not DO their job right the 1st time...

The cops did not solve this, DNA did, just like DNA proved Morin was innocent...

"The cops" solved the case, with the use of DNA techniques. 

Your argument is akin to "doctors don't treat diseases, medications treat diseases", or maybe "surgeons don't remove tumours, scalpels remove tumours". 
    The cops charged an innocent man and continued the farce until DNA cleared him...however, the evidence without DNA cleared him as well that the cops refused to acknowledge.  They found a suspect and built a faulty case around guy Paul Morin.  The 1 million he got largely covered legal expenses and I believe he is entitled to much more and should be taken from the police budget of investigating police force...I followed the case well.  He was railroaded and Paul Morin knows he was railroaded.

Not disputing the original treatment of the case; I’m disputing your description of these events 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…

How Toronto police found the suspect in Christine Jessop’s murder through DNA

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/how-toronto-police-found-the-suspect-in-christine-jessop-e2-80-99s-murder-through-dna/ar-BB1a5Vw4

Now the Jessop family and the Morin family can have closure...

It's just too bad the corrupt cops did not DO their job right the 1st time...

The cops did not solve this, DNA did, just like DNA proved Morin was innocent...

"The cops" solved the case, with the use of DNA techniques. 

Your argument is akin to "doctors don't treat diseases, medications treat diseases", or maybe "surgeons don't remove tumours, scalpels remove tumours". 
    The cops charged an innocent man and continued the farce until DNA cleared him...however, the evidence without DNA cleared him as well that the cops refused to acknowledge.  They found a suspect and built a faulty case around guy Paul Morin.  The 1 million he got largely covered legal expenses and I believe he is entitled to much more and should be taken from the police budget of investigating police force...I followed the case well.  He was railroaded and Paul Morin knows he was railroaded.

Not disputing the original treatment of the case; I’m disputing your description of these events 
    What have I say that is wrong.  That the cops were corrupt?  That the police continued the farce?  It appears the lead detective did not believe Morin was innocent even after DNA...And the province gave the case to the Toronto Police to solve...pretty sure the province doesn't move a case unless there was serious issues...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    You’re not really getting the point but okee doke. 
    Who was it that used DNA techniques to solve this case? The cops. 
    So basically you got nothing.   Which I’m not surprised.  I am just guessing here but it was likely his lawyers that got the DNA testing done.  Why would the cops get the testing done after a conviction?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    So basically you got nothing.   Which I’m not surprised.  I am just guessing here but it was likely his lawyers that got the DNA testing done.  Why would the cops get the testing done after a conviction?  
    you said "the cops didn't solve this, dna did". is DNA an organization, a different arm of the legal system i'm not aware of?

nope. it's a technological way of solving crime. in a lab. by lab technicians, using samples collected by cops. 

so do you say the lab technicians solved the case? or the lawyer solved the case? or the cops solved the case? maybe the courier who dropped off the samples to the lab solved it?

the semantics here is strange. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Whose lawyer are you talking about? Morin’s lawyer? You have no idea how this works. The police sent a sample from Jessop’s underwear to the specialized lab, who tested it and eventually found similarities with the genetics of the family to the man they now think responsible. They don’t have any DNA from him directly, nor are they likely to, because he’s been dead for quite some time. 

Your last question doesn’t even make any sense. 
    apparently Trudeau voted against a wealth tax, which he previously promised he would vote in favour for:

On Monday, Justin Trudeau’s Liberal party helped defeat a motion to implement a wealth tax in the House of Commons. [1] The proposal was very modest — only a one percent tax on wealth over $20 million. It was rejected by the same party that promised to tackle wealth inequality in the recent throne speech. [2] 

Tell the Federal government to keep their promise. It’s time to make the rich pay their fair share of a green and just recovery. #TaxTheRich.

The motion, called “Tax measures to support Canadians”, also included an excess profit tax on big corporations that have been profiting from the Covid-19 pandemic. While millions of people in this country are struggling to make ends meet, Canadian billionaires have gotten $37 billion richer since the beginning of the health crisis. [3] Extreme wealth inequality is not good for our society and it’s certainly not good for our climate. 

The same people who are benefiting from the pandemic are the most responsible for the climate crisis: the richest 1% of the world population causes double the CO2 emissions of the poorest 50%. [4]

Tell the Federal government to turn their words into action and pass a wealth tax to fund a green and just recovery.

This money could be invested where it’s needed most right now — in support of local food security, growing jobs that protect nature and in delivering a universal basic income. 

76% of Canadians already support a new wealth tax on the wealthiest multi-millionaires and billionaires in Canada. [5] Now we need to make our voices heard. Tell Justin Trudeau to implement a wealth tax now!

With determination,

Shane

Head of Food and Nature Campaign, Greenpeace Canada

[1] https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/votes/43/2/22

[2] https://www.canada.ca/en/privy-council/campaigns/speech-throne/2020/stronger-resilient-canada.html

[3] https://www.policynote.ca/billionaires-wealth/

[4] https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/carbon-emissions-richest-1-percent-more-double-emissions-poorest-half-humanity 

[5] https://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/canadians_want_to_see_bold_new_ideas

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Whose lawyer are you talking about? Morin’s lawyer? You have no idea how this works. The police sent a sample from Jessop’s underwear to the specialized lab, who tested it and eventually found similarities with the genetics of the family to the man they now think responsible. They don’t have any DNA from him directly, nor are they likely to, because he’s been dead for quite some time. 

What are you even going on about.  I’m talking about the cops who arrested Morin in the 1st place.

I am not talking about the Toronto cops who eventually found the real killer.  There were 2 different police forces involvement.  The police in the original investigation and the Toronto police who were ask to take over the investigation.

so you are telling me that Morin lawyers could not  have asked for the sample be sent a lab of their choosing to try to exonerate him?  

If you got and link that shows Canadian law says only the police can use Labs for DNA ...post please.
    Give Peas A Chance…

What are you even going on about.  I’m talking about the cops who arrested Morin in the 1st place.

I am not talking about the Toronto cops who eventually found the real killer.  There were 2 different police forces involvement.  The police in the original investigation and the Toronto police who were ask to take over the investigation.

so you are telling me that Morin lawyers could not  have asked for the sample be sent a lab of their choosing to try to exonerate him?  

If you got and link that shows Canadian law says only the police can use Labs for DNA ...post please.
    Morin was exonerated decades ago, so yes, I’m telling you that his lawyer could not have asked for a sample currently in police custody to be sent to a lab now for a case in which he is no longer involved. 

It looks like you are in fact admitting that police solved the case - the Toronto police. 

Also, the reporting states that the police sent the sample to the lab. 

Morin was exonerated decades ago, so yes, I’m telling you that his lawyer could not have asked for a sample currently in police custody to be sent to a lab now for a case in which he is no longer involved. 

It looks like you are in fact admitting that police solved the case - the Toronto police. 

I am talking about the original investigation?  Post a link if you can find one that states who sent the DNA off to a lab that lead to his freedom.  Not the DNA lab that found the real killer.  And I find it hard to believe the original cops sent the sample in...

maybe you need to pay alternation.  Have you read anything on the original case.  

I do not give a shit about the Toronto police...they were handed the investigation after Morin was exonerated.

Post A Link...

Do think Morin feels like the original cops weren’t corrupt, or Morins lawyer...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    You should also post articles explaining how Donald Marshall and David Milgard were not victims of corruption...

im sure all 3 of them would have a good chuckle over that...
    Give Peas A Chance…

I am talking about the original investigation?  Post a link if you can find one that states who sent the DNA off to a lab that lead to his freedom.  Not the DNA lab that found the real killer.  And I find it hard to believe the original cops sent the sample in...

maybe you need to pay alternation.  Have you read anything on the original case.  

I do not give a shit about the Toronto police...they were handed the investigation after Morin was exonerated.

Post A Link...

Do think Morin feels like the original cops weren’t corrupt, or Morins lawyer...
    Why are you taking about the original investigation when this whole discussion started from your comments about the new DNA findings?  The original investigation is not relevant to that story. You’re arguing points that no one else is here. 
  • apparently Trudeau voted against a wealth tax, which he previously promised he would vote in favour for:

On Monday, Justin Trudeau’s Liberal party helped defeat a motion to implement a wealth tax in the House of Commons. [1] The proposal was very modest — only a one percent tax on wealth over $20 million. It was rejected by the same party that promised to tackle wealth inequality in the recent throne speech. [2] 

Tell the Federal government to keep their promise. It’s time to make the rich pay their fair share of a green and just recovery. #TaxTheRich.

The motion, called “Tax measures to support Canadians”, also included an excess profit tax on big corporations that have been profiting from the Covid-19 pandemic. While millions of people in this country are struggling to make ends meet, Canadian billionaires have gotten $37 billion richer since the beginning of the health crisis. [3] Extreme wealth inequality is not good for our society and it’s certainly not good for our climate. 

The same people who are benefiting from the pandemic are the most responsible for the climate crisis: the richest 1% of the world population causes double the CO2 emissions of the poorest 50%. [4]

Tell the Federal government to turn their words into action and pass a wealth tax to fund a green and just recovery.

This money could be invested where it’s needed most right now — in support of local food security, growing jobs that protect nature and in delivering a universal basic income. 

76% of Canadians already support a new wealth tax on the wealthiest multi-millionaires and billionaires in Canada. [5] Now we need to make our voices heard. Tell Justin Trudeau to implement a wealth tax now!

With determination,

Shane

Head of Food and Nature Campaign, Greenpeace Canada

[1] https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/votes/43/2/22

[2] https://www.canada.ca/en/privy-council/campaigns/speech-throne/2020/stronger-resilient-canada.html

[3] https://www.policynote.ca/billionaires-wealth/

[4] https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/carbon-emissions-richest-1-percent-more-double-emissions-poorest-half-humanity 

[5] https://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/canadians_want_to_see_bold_new_ideas

Anyone who hasn’t seen through JT’s “nice guy” charade by now is obviously gullible. The guy is a fraud in more ways than one. 
    I was pretty indifferent until the WE scandal.  Trust-fund baby and a terrible liar. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Pushing 1600 cases here in Alberta today. Only province with no mask mandate, we have virtually no contact tracing, will not support the Canada wide tracing app and we haven't heard from our fearless leader Kenny in about 9 days.

Yeehaa!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    dignin said:
    Pushing 1600 cases here in Alberta today. Only province with no mask mandate, we have virtually no contact tracing, will not support the Canada wide tracing app and we haven't heard from our fearless leader Kenny in about 9 days.

Yeehaa!

That's ok.  All Alberta problems were solely the NDP and Rachel Notley's fault.  lol!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Unfortunately, this thought had already crossed my mind.  We don't manufacturer very much in Canada.  We tend to export raw materials, and then import finished goods.  Canada's capacity to manufacture has greatly diminished in the era of free trade.

As soon as they announced they bought vaccines, I had wondered about what the pecking order is.  I assumed the US would get the majority of them at first.   Being a 1st world country I assumed we'd get them before a great deal of the planet.   

It sucks, but I guess it's the way it is?

Still, that article was very informative, discussed that you can license a vaccine and make it yourself, and we actually do have a small capacity to make one of the vaccine's here.    Given what's in the article it does seem like Trudeau may have dropped the ball utilizing the small amount of capacity we do have... shrug.

Quebec mosque shooter's sentence cut from 40 to 25 years before possibility of parole

Give Peas A Chance…
    Although light on specifics, Moderna chairman says that Canada  "is guaranteed to receive a certain portion of the company's initial batch of doses — as long as the vaccine proves safe and effective and is given regulatory approval", due to early pre-order.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-vaccine-moderna-covid-19-hadju-health-1.5821166
    Great news about the beginning of the vaccine rollout here in Canada. Way sooner than I thought.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    dignin said:
    Great news about the beginning of the vaccine rollout here in Canada. Way sooner than I thought.
    It’s something, but a very small something, with fewer than 125,000 getting these doses. After that there’s a 3-month window (possibly) to get another 1.5 million vaccinated. As I said it is something, but not very reassuring as I sit in (supposedly) locked down Toronto. One upside is it will serve as a (very) small test of the distribution systems/infrastructure.

I’ve been very disappointed that all levels of government have dropped the ball on vaccines. They wait until arrival of the vaccines is imminent to start putting systems for distribution in place? Admittedly some factors were unforseeable such as the deep freeze storage but much of the work could have been done in the last several months since vaccines were always the goal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-announcement-otoole-vaccine-motion-1.5830938
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    dignin said:
    It’s something, but a very small something, with fewer than 125,000 getting these doses. After that there’s a 3-month window (possibly) to get another 1.5 million vaccinated. As I said it is something, but not very reassuring as I sit in (supposedly) locked down Toronto. One upside is it will serve as a (very) small test of the distribution systems/infrastructure.

I’ve been very disappointed that all levels of government have dropped the ball on vaccines. They wait until arrival of the vaccines is imminent to start putting systems for distribution in place? Admittedly some factors were unforseeable such as the deep freeze storage but much of the work could have been done in the last several months since vaccines were always the goal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-announcement-otoole-vaccine-motion-1.5830938
    We are less than a year into this pandemic. The fact that we are in the process of getting a vaccine now is astounding.

Let's have some perspective, today is a great day.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

We are less than a year into this pandemic. The fact that we are in the process of getting a vaccine now is astounding.

Let's have some perspective, today is a great day.
    I won’t go quite as far, but I will agree it’s a good day for sure.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Ontario’s share will go to fatty fords buddies...

Ontario is now Alabama of the am north now that Ford passed legislation allowing his homo phobe, racist buddies Christian University the opportunity to offer degrees...what a joke Ontario had become...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    Not necessarily my opinion 99, but this ones for you!