The coronavirus

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited November 2020
    We kinda fucked.  Cleveland Clinic reporting 1000 employees out with Covid. 😪
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,439
    After the health care system and schools, sport teams are up there with keeping business open as far as BC's Health Minister is concerned. Girl guides/Boy Scouts and music groups were nixed here along with social gatherings. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    rgambs said:
    Yikes!
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    Yah, I'm not sure land borders are closed but you can go by plane.  I had heard about that months ago.

We also had a reverse loophole up here.   Americans could drive in as long as they said they were going to Alaska.   Our government has tried to tighten down on that one, with fines, a limited window to travel, and only allowing them to stay on the route.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    rgambs said:
    Damn that’s brutal I work in a fairly big hospital and there’s no way we’ve had a 1000 employee’s out with positive results even at the height of the 1st wave..stay safe 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Zod said:
    We also had a reverse loophole up here.   Americans could drive in as long as they said they were going to Alaska.   Our government has tried to tighten down on that one, with fines, a limited window to travel, and only allowing them to stay on the route.
    The most "fun" loophole I have heard is here in Sweden where bars/restaurants now has to close by 22.00 - they close by 22.00 and everyone needs to leave the locale - then they open by 22:05 again. They are not allowed to sell "strong alcohol" after 22 (anything above 3,5 volume percent), so they sell beers with 3,5 instead post 22.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Zod said:
    The most "fun" loophole I have heard is here in Sweden where bars/restaurants now has to close by 22.00 - they close by 22.00 and everyone needs to leave the locale - then they open by 22:05 again. They are not allowed to sell "strong alcohol" after 22 (anything above 3,5 volume percent), so they sell beers with 3,5 instead post 22.
    And i thought the  Swedes were smarter 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    Zod said:
    And i thought the  Swedes were smarter 
    Well to be fair that’s pretty smart in some respects!

But 3.5 beer isn’t ever worth it, let alone during a pandemic.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    edited November 2020
    rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Rgambs, when people can't accept the facts, they go after your "tone." It's a form of ad hominem-- someone doesn't like what you say, so they go after the way you say it. They call you "dramatic" or "emotional;" they tell you to go for a walk or that you're not an adult.

(So ironic, I told a poster in this very thread to have an "adult conversation" with his child's teacher over a conflict he had with her, and he flipped the hell out on me. Now he's part of a group resorting to the same thing in their defense of reckless behavior).

Bottom line: Parents can tend to their children's mental and physical health in less risky ways than signing up for group sports. They can support their children's moral development by teaching them how to delay personal gratification for the greater good, for one.  freaking. season. They just don't want to.

Anyone need evidence that team sports are not a good idea right now? We're watching it unfold on television with professional athletes who have all the resources in the world at their disposal to make their seasons "safe." Players are still getting sick. Entire teams have had to quarantine.

I feel so terribly for all the doctors and nurses everywhere. They are the ones bearing the brunt of what can only be described as a self-indulgent mindset. 
    Post edited by what dreams on
    edited November 2020
    Overall, the numbers don't lie. Our third wave is exponentially worse than the first wave, all the while "people have figured out how to do things safely."

Oh, the stories we tell ourselves . . .

• rgambs said:
    Don't take it too personally.  No, you didn't piss in my Cheerios personally, either, but things are bad here.  Things are nearing disaster in so many places, so many people are hurting so bad...it's time for people to get serious for a minute. 
    Rgambs, when people can't accept the facts, they go after your "tone." It's a form of ad hominem-- someone doesn't like what you say, so they go after the way you say it. They call you "dramatic" or "emotional;" they tell you to go for a walk or that you're not an adult.

(So ironic, I told a poster in this very thread to have an "adult conversation" with his child's teacher over a conflict he had with her, and he flipped the hell out on me. Now he's part of a group resorting to the same thing in their defense of reckless behavior).

Bottom line: Parents can tend to their children's mental and physical health in less risky ways than signing up for group sports. They can support their children's moral development by teaching them how to delay personal gratification for the greater good, for one.  freaking. season. They just don't want to.

Anyone need evidence that team sports are not a good idea right now? We're watching it unfold on television with professional athletes who have all the resources in the world at their disposal to make their seasons "safe." Players are still getting sick. Entire teams have had to quarantine.

I feel so terribly for all the doctors and nurses everywhere. They are the ones bearing the brunt of what can only be described as a self-indulgent mindset. 
    I think you all are misunderstanding the physical and mental good the sport does. I’m confused on what gratification you think the kids or parents are getting. We’re not talking “everyone gets a trophy” youth sports here. 
    edited November 2020
    rgambs said:

I think you all are misunderstanding the physical and mental good the sport does. I’m confused on what gratification you think the kids or parents are getting. We’re not talking “everyone gets a trophy” youth sports here. 
    I'm not misunderstanding the physical and mental good that any sport does.

Taking a long, brisk walk or bike ride around the neighborhood provides the same health benefit. Lifting weights in the basement provides the same benefit. Yoga. Meditation. There are things kids could do that don't require people to congregate. Create an exercise pod and throw footballs in the backyard to maintain their skills. No health professionals would ever say you *have to* play a team sport with 150 people cheering you on to keep your mind and body healthy.

Last week I listened to one of Biden's corona advisors give an interview. He was very clear. People need to stop swapping air. The first and best way to do that is to stay home. If people *need* to go out, they need to wear a mask, distance, and wash hands when they get home. We are months away from the general population having access to a vaccine. We to double down for the sake our health care system.

There was no talk from him about the solution being worst than the problem. That is what I am reading from some folks in this thread. Yes, it sounds like the things we hear from Trumpistan, and it appears as though some of our friends here have accepted that message. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    edited November 2020
    rgambs said:

Let's not forget about the kids who are trying to get athletic scholarships or college kids trying to get to the next level.  Hell my heart broke for all the minor leaguers last year trying to get to the bigs.  You have a very short window of time to make it to that next level.

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

Let's not forget about the kids who are trying to get athletic scholarships or college kids trying to get to the next level.  Hell my heart broke for all the minor leaguers last year trying to get to the bigs.  You have a very short window of time to make it to that next level.
    You were getting scouted by Alabama for a full ride?  Don't worry about it, go do some yoga, it is the same thing.  
    It's a terrible disappointment, no doubt. Everyone is suffering disappointment. I say that with the utmost empathy. Many people's lives have been gutted, and it is a time of great re-evaulation of all our hopes and dreams. Life is changed for all of us. 

mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

You were getting scouted by Alabama for a full ride?  Don't worry about it, go do some yoga, it is the same thing.  
    It's a terrible disappointment, no doubt. Everyone is suffering disappointment. I say that with the utmost empathy. Many people's lives have been gutted, and it is a time of great re-evaulation of all our hopes and dreams. Life is changed for all of us. 

I think what frustrates me is that some people, even now 10 months later, cannot or will not acknowledge or adjust to the change. Change is required to get us through this as a society with the least amount of damage. Our stubbornness as a society is exacerbating the damage, even as we grieve our own personal losses in whatever form they take. Football, grandma, craft beer. Everyone measures their personal loss differently. They are real.

In my case, and I know this is true of several posters here, the loss is freedom of movement. Due to my life circumstance as a caretaker, I am practically trapped in my house and confined to a very small bubble of outdoor interaction with four friends I trust because they are in a similar boat. I am facing the winter months with even that little bit of interaction about to disappear. I am very much in tune to the strength it will take to manage my well-being through to the vaccine, as someone who has been managing a diagnosed mental illness for decades. I do not speak lightly when I offer encouragement to parents who have to provide for their children's well-being. I regret that it's perceived that way.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    Overall, the numbers don't lie. Our third wave is exponentially worse than the first wave, all the while "people have figured out how to do things safely."

Oh, the stories we tell ourselves . . .

I think that's a bit of a fallacy.  The worse things about Covid19 is how contagious it is.   You can do things "safer" like wear a mask or social distance.  Those things help, but they don't eliminate the risk.    I can only imagine how much more rampant it would be if the people trying to do those things, weren't doing those things.   

I felt like the first wave, way back in March/April, I always felt like that was the one shot to get it right.     The longer Covid19 lasted, the more frustrated people would get with it, the worse the economic pressures would be, etc...

I felt our government here in BC started well, but when they moved to open things up at the end of May, and endorsed travel/tourism, I was like.. WTF?    We were so close to zero cases, I couldn't figure out why we didn't keep doing what we were doing for a few more weeks to get it zero, then close off to travel (like the East Coast has).

Yah, not sure what I'm rambling on about now.... lol.  Just that the virus is super contagious and the only way to really keep it bay is a complete lack of human interaction and/or a vaccine.
    Zod said:
    Yah, I'm not sure land borders are closed but you can go by plane.  I had heard about that months ago.

That loophole should have been closed on day 1 as well.  You can never trust the Americans to do the right thing.  They are selfish people.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Zod said:

That loophole should have been closed on day 1 as well.  You can never trust the Americans to do the right thing.  They are selfish people.
    Everyone else is so virtuous, huh. 

People are the same all over. 
    Justin Trudeau refrains from criticizing Quebec Christmas plan | Montreal Gazette

Quebec does whatever it wants and no PM ever criticizes them...

This seems like such a bad idea...

Give Peas A Chance…
    hedonist said:
    Zod said:

Everyone else is so virtuous, huh. 

People are the same all over. 
    I'll rephrase it never trust "humans" to do the right things...there are Canadians finding loopholes so they can snowbird...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Going away like things go away, it’ll be over by Election Day and we’re rounding the corner, rounding the corner.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,694
    Zod said:

Only America is having problems. No other countries. And even further, only red states are having problem. This place is really funny. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Zod said:

Only America is having problems. No other countries. And even further, only red states are having problem. This place is really funny. 
    I don’t believe anyone here has posited such nonsense. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Going away like things go away, it’ll be over by Election Day and we’re rounding the corner, rounding the corner.

Ugh, it's up here too.  Curfew, lockdown, kind of like how it was a few months ago.

Very quiet in the neighborhood today.  I miss the sounds of everyday life (even the damned kids yelling downstairs by the pool).
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited November 2020
    Regarding school and youth sports, both of our children have preexisting conditions (one newly diagnosed), both are school age, and both play youth sports (baseball and hockey). Also, my wife is at high risk of keeling over if she should become infected with Covid-19. 

Since I’m no expert, what I did was ask some experts on the front lines of healthcare about what we should do with our children regarding attending school in person and playing their respective sports. 

For the record, my bias is, “NO ONE IS LEAVING THE HOUSE EVER AGAIN!!!” So when I got answers that didn’t align with mine, I did what any hardheaded motherfucker does and sought out another expert opinion, one that would be right this time. I mean, what the fuck does that doctor know? She gets to go home to a goddamn palace and likely gets a whole goddamn wing of the house to herself to keep her distance from her family if need be. This nurse, on the other hand, is likely sharing a 500 sq. ft. with her family. Wonder what she thinks? Turns out she’s wrong, too. Well, I kept asking—a four-day hospital stay among one of the most well-regarded medical communities in the nation gave me plenty of opportunities to have my bias confirmed—but I could only get so many “wrong” answers until I came to the conclusion that maybe I’m the one who’s wrong. 

So, I’m not comfortable with it at all, but I am listening to the experts on the healthcare front lines regarding these decisions.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,612
    dankind said:
    Regarding school and youth sports, both of our children have preexisting conditions (one newly diagnosed), both are school age, and both play youth sports (baseball and hockey). Also, my wife is at high risk of keeling over if she should become infected with Covid-19. 

Since I’m no expert, what I did was ask some experts on the front lines of healthcare about what we should do with our children regarding attending school in person and playing their respective sports. 

For the record, my bias is, “NO ONE IS LEAVING THE HOUSE EVER AGAIN!!!” So when I got answers that didn’t align with mine, I did what any hardheaded motherfucker does and sought out another expert opinion, one that would be right this time. I mean, what the fuck does that doctor know? She gets to go home to a goddamn palace and likely gets a whole goddamn wing of the house to herself to keep her distance from her family if need be. This nurse, on the other hand, is likely sharing a 500 sq. ft. with her family. Wonder what she thinks? Turns out she’s wrong, too. Well, I kept asking—a four-day hospital stay among one of the most well-regarded medical communities in the nation gave me plenty of opportunities to have my bias confirmed—but I could only get so many “wrong” answers until I came to the conclusion that maybe I’m the one who’s wrong. 

So, I’m not comfortable with it at all, but I am listening to the experts on the healthcare front lines regarding these decisions.
    Tough to argue for anyone.
    (Although I'm sure people here will, because, well - they will somehow know more than all of those people who you tried to get to match what your take was.)
    We said No for sports for our son.  Had we been split in our opinions as parents I imagine I would have done what you did....but we were on the same page.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
This discussion has been closed.