The Golf Thread

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Hoping to see a meaningful back 9 today with some pressure on DJ 
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    It looks like they all have the green head covers for clubs..why is that required??
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

Rory has one of the prettiest swings in golf, especially with longer clubs. Swings it so freely. 
    Tiger on 12. Whoa 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    It looks like they all have the green head covers for clubs..why is that required??
    It's not required 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    JojoRice said:
    It's not required 

Just wondering if it went along with the caddy outfits for some reason
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I think all the sponsors make custom cool shit for them for the big weeks 
    I was surprised to see they went away from the traditional Sunday pin placement on 16.  Not sure what the reasoning was. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    bbiggs said:
    I was surprised to see they went away from the traditional Sunday pin placement on 16.  Not sure what the reasoning was. 

“student of the game,” there ^^^^^
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    bbiggs said:
    So strange. Can't remember when it wasn't in the usual Sunday position.
    Congrats to DJ. He earned it.
    Tiger. Well, a 10 on the 12th, then makes 5 birdies on the next 6 holes. 

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    So Bryson ended the week 18 over his par?
    eddiec said:
    bbiggs said:
    So strange. Can't remember when it wasn't in the usual Sunday position.
    Congrats to DJ. He earned it.
    Tiger. Well, a 10 on the 12th, then makes 5 birdies on the next 6 holes. 

I assume it has to do with the conditions and the scores.  Give it a little more bite rather than the funnel.
    Awesome win for DJ.  I lose a side bet on a season long pool.  Much needed major win for him.  Super cool to see him emotional.  Dude has had quite the life
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Awesome win for DJ.  I lose a side bet on a season long pool.  Much needed major win for him.  Super cool to see him emotional.  Dude has had quite the life

reminds me of the life o’ cliffy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    The dude is a machine.  When he drives it that well he is tough to beat.  Add putting to his skill set and lights out.  

So many great players out there.  Tough to win.       
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Egg salad yesterday...pimento cheese today
    Yeah I went with the pimento cheese sammy's today too. Also made the Azalea Cocktail for the fist time. Vodka, lemonade and grenadine. A bit sweet for my liking, but hey, tis the fucking season, right? Will be a decent start to the morning tomorrow, I'd imagine...

(also stocked up on a bunch of Tired Hands beers a few days ago!)
    I saw that drink today for the first time. I’d give it a go but yeah

you go to tired hands for it?
    I did. They also deliver now too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggs said:
    Justin Leonard is no bueno 

I didn't mind Leonard.  His making fun of Brandel's nerdiness was amusing.  He also had a few interesting insights based on his playing experience.  He was much better than Duval, who I am glad is gone.  I do miss Nobilo though.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    Phil is coaching up Barkley a bit much to me but this is good tv today
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

This fucking game. Played yesterday. Putting was on point. One three putt all day. Drove the ball better than I have most of the year. Iron game was okay. But the short game around the green, which is usually my strength was utter trash. Finished with a fucking 95 but felt like it easily could've been closer to 85. Oh well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This fucking game. Played yesterday. Putting was on point. One three putt all day. Drove the ball better than I have most of the year. Iron game was okay. But the short game around the green, which is usually my strength was utter trash. Finished with a fucking 95 but felt like it easily could've been closer to 85. Oh well. 
    Did the same on Friday.  I left at least 6 strokes in the table with bad chips.  I think my total putts were 2 under,  one penalty stroke all day,  etc. It was all chipping.  I do find that this time is the year the greens and green side play gets harder as everything is more inconsistent. Different speeds,  different lengths of rough,  etc.
    edited November 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    Did the same on Friday.  I left at least 6 strokes in the table with bad chips.  I think my total putts were 2 under,  one penalty stroke all day,  etc. It was all chipping.  I do find that this time is the year the greens and green side play gets harder as everything is more inconsistent. Different speeds,  different lengths of rough,  etc.
    Yeah, great point about this time of year. Plus the course I played was not the best so that adds to the inconsistencies.

We teed off off at 8:15 and the temperature was a robust 29 degrees! I think that's the coldest its been for me on a course. No wind, though. and it did get up to around 50 on the back 9. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, great point about this time of year. Plus the course I played was not the best so that adds to the inconsistencies.

We teed off off at 8:15 and the temperature was a robust 29 degrees! I think that's the coldest its been for me on a course. No wind, though. and it did get up to around 50 on the back 9. 
    I teed at 1215 and it was about 65 degrees.  Shorts and a windbreaker.  Fantastic weather.  However they didn't cut the bermuda rough, even around the greens, so you had to hunt balls that were five feet off.  Super annoying.  Plus, you could not get even the slightest bit of sauce on a chip from the rough.  So I would leave them 12 foot short or 12 foot long, best case.  I didn't have one greenside save all day.  Brutal.  
    If this doesn’t convince everyone that the golf ball needs to be dialed back, nothing will.

https://www.golfwrx.com/642935/bryson-dechambeau-watches-on-in-awe-at-302-yard-8-iron-strike/
    bbiggs said:
    If this doesn’t convince everyone that the golf ball needs to be dialed back, nothing will.

https://www.golfwrx.com/642935/bryson-dechambeau-watches-on-in-awe-at-302-yard-8-iron-strike/
    Yeah I can hit mine maybe 165 here on the east coast, at least with proper ball flight.  However I don't want my ball dialed back.  As I get older, I appreciate the technology.  
    ^ I don’t want it dialed back for me either, being an average hack.  I do think something has to change for tour pros though, or many courses will need to be stretched out to 8,000, 9,000+ to present a proper test for them. 
    Bifurcation 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    That dude is a long drive champion who swings like a complete maniac.  It's hard to see USGA or R&A doing anything at this point.

In sad news, my local muni officially closed for the season.  Always a sad day when I drive by and see the "golf course closed" sign.  The only good thing about 2020 is that I played a ton of golf since that was just about the only thing to do all summer.  Need to get a new driver this winter...got so fed up with my old one that I took it out of the bag and teed off with my utility 3 iron majority of the time.
    About 6-8 inches of snow out there and the 10 day forecast is mostly in the 30's. Looks like there's a chance I played my last round of 2020...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    About 6-8 inches of snow out there and the 10 day forecast is mostly in the 30's. Looks like there's a chance I played my last round of 2020...
    We got 2 inches of rain from the storm.  But sunny and 50s for the next week.  Tee time of 1130 next Wednesday.  Hopefully 90 degrees

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Driving to Hilton head for two - three weeks.  Will bring my home work setup and just get a nice change of scenery with some golf sneaked in.