Donald Trump

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Interesting....I just voted for the 9th time

Kerry was my first Dem vote in 2004.  I might have voted for McCain if he wouldn't have selected Palin.
    I would not have voted McCain, but sans Palin I would not have been so concerned (except for McCain's penchant for solving problems with soldiers).  But to think Palin would be a breath from the presidency was pretty scary...until Trump.  He's Palin x12. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    mrussel1 said:

Kerry was my first Dem vote in 2004.  I might have voted for McCain if he wouldn't have selected Palin.
    I would not have voted McCain, but sans Palin I would not have been so concerned (except for McCain's penchant for solving problems with soldiers).  But to think Palin would be a breath from the presidency was pretty scary...until Trump.  He's Palin x12. 
    Actually I remember telling my mom that I couldn't vote for McCain because, at the time, he was talking about going to a flat tax which I found as both a threat to my income and just plain stupid.  But Palin was the icing on the cake.  I understand why he did it (had to...he was so far behind in polling they needed a "game change") and I he admitted later that it was a mistake.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    mrussel1 said:

I toyed with voting 3rd in both of Obama's elections. (Honestly, I probably would not have, regardless).  But Palin and Paul Ryan took it off the table. Palin was the original nutty lib-owning GQPer and Ryan was more of a classic "smiling mean guy" Republcian.  Either way, I didn't want them being one step away....
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I toyed with voting 3rd in both of Obama's elections. (Honestly, I probably would not have, regardless).  But Palin and Paul Ryan took it off the table. Palin was the original nutty lib-owning GQPer and Ryan was more of a classic "smiling mean guy" Republcian.  Either way, I didn't want them being one step away....
    you did not want young backwards hat wearing, dumbell curling ryan that close?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He wasn't as dumb as Palin but he remindedm me of former MN Governor Pawlenty, who my dad called "the Smilin' Mean Guy."  A conservative of the heartless variety. Hey, what's he doing now?  Laying low in hopes this Trump thing blows over so he can pretend he never supported him?

I guess that probably means my threat to go third was very idle. While both McCain and Romney were stomachable, the chance one would have picked a running mate I could deal with was pretty slim. But suppose McCain would have picked Romney...much more digestable. I'd have considered going third (though I liked Obama enough, so probably not. But 2008 was a LONG time ago and I was a little closer to "both sides are the same" than I am now).

Paul Ryan seems positively A-OK by today's standards, though.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mrussel1 said:
    Maybe my memory is off but didn't they used to separate president and vice president on the ballot? It was stupid to do that, but wasn't it like that? Or am I imagining this? Or maybe it's different in each state?

Edit: I guess I just made that up in my head. All google image search of ballots from recent years show the president and vice-president coupled as one. Not sure why I thought they used to be separate. 
    IF you want to be historical, the VP was the second leading EC gainer.  I think Aaron Burr was the last VP to come in second (to TJ).  After that, it became a ticket. Or at least around that time. 
    Yeah I know about that old system where the runner-up was VP (imagine a Trump/Hillary administration lol). But for some reason I recall seeing like Obama vs. McCain as one thing to vote on, and Biden vs. Palin as another. But I guess I’m just making it up. Or maybe confusing it with other top-ticket things like governorships. But probably just making it up. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He wasn't as dumb as Palin but he remindedm me of former MN Governor Pawlenty, who my dad called "the Smilin' Mean Guy."  A conservative of the heartless variety. Hey, what's he doing now?  Laying low in hopes this Trump thing blows over so he can pretend he never supported him?

I guess that probably means my threat to go third was very idle. While both McCain and Romney were stomachable, the chance one would have picked a running mate I could deal with was pretty slim. But suppose McCain would have picked Romney...much more digestable. I'd have considered going third (though I liked Obama enough, so probably not. But 2008 was a LONG time ago and I was a little closer to "both sides are the same" than I am now).

Paul Ryan seems positively A-OK by today's standards, though.

except for the tax cut..... which means I pay far more now in withholding and get shit on the back end from lost deductions....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I have voted 3rd on many occasions.
    Biden Clinton Obama Obama Kerry (so underrated...) Nader Nader Perot The Duke and Walter Mondale after an entire high school spent in the first term of Ron Reagan.

Never (R). Ever.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    P. Ryan?   ew
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    ikiT said:
    P. Ryan?   ew
    Yeah but he was totally into Rage.  He was all about taking on the 'system'. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Was 2016 a landslide? It kinda felt that way because it was obvious by about 8:00 Central that Trump was going to win. But it wasn't exactly Reagan/Mondale.  This electiion is shaping up about the same.
    Every election seems to be considered a landslide by someone. I'm sure lots on the right called it a landslide because he got I think 306 EC votes. And the left wouldn't call it a landslide because he lost the popular vote. 
    There was nothing close to a landslide in 2016. It was actually one of the closest electoral college margins in the history of the country. 

"Every election seems to be considered a landslide by someone?" Since when? I don't think this has ever been a thing until Trump, wrongly, started saying he won by a landslide in '16. 

There has not been a landslide since 1984...maybe Bush in '88, I guess...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_Electoral_College_margin

So you haven’t heard Trump or someone in his campaign say they won by a huge margin? Yes, 306 EC votes is only 2 or 3 swing states, but someone will still make that claim. I never said it was true. And true for most elections, the president himself, the campaign or his supporters will highlight how much they won by as a positive. All I said is someone makes that claim every election, never said it was true. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mrussel1 said:
    Maybe my memory is off but didn't they used to separate president and vice president on the ballot? It was stupid to do that, but wasn't it like that? Or am I imagining this? Or maybe it's different in each state?

Edit: I guess I just made that up in my head. All google image search of ballots from recent years show the president and vice-president coupled as one. Not sure why I thought they used to be separate. 
    IF you want to be historical, the VP was the second leading EC gainer.  I think Aaron Burr was the last VP to come in second (to TJ).  After that, it became a ticket. Or at least around that time. 
    Strangely I was just reading about the election of 1800 yesterday. Jefferson and Burr ended up in a tie with 73 EC votes each as there was no distinction between voting for Prez or Veep, so The House had to determine which would be President and which would spend 4 years in irrelevancy.
    https://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/1800-election/1800-election.html
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited October 2020
    Welcome to my facebook feed...turns out that everything was fine...he called support and they had him check all connections and reboot his box

Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Welcome to my facebook feed...turns out that everything was fine...he called support and they had him check all connections and reboot his box

LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    and you just know that person still won't believe it was a random technical glitch. they think that their cable company deliberately deleted fox from their package in "hopes i wouldn't notice". if they are that quick to believe in some anti-fox conspiracy, jesus. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Poncier said:
    He was just around the corner! Ah too bad for all those freezing deplorables I’m sure they are used to those cold temperatures and just waiting with all those people huddled together they should of been nice and warm, that’s what penguins do they huddle to keep nice& warm..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    MayDay10 said:

Oh no! I can't see this image. It must have been censored. Great, now I can't trust 10C, or maybe it's my ISP? Bastards! I took a screenshot of this just in case no one believes this happened.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    and you just know that person still won't believe it was a random technical glitch. they think that their cable company deliberately deleted fox from their package in "hopes i wouldn't notice". if they are that quick to believe in some anti-fox conspiracy, jesus. 
    yeah some of the comments were "NBC owns comcast/xfinity", etc.  There were also a few telling him that he was insane.  

Poncier said:
    He was just around the corner! Ah too bad for all those freezing deplorables I’m sure they are used to those cold temperatures and just waiting with all those people huddled together they should of been nice and warm, that’s what penguins do they huddle to keep nice& warm..

I'm not sure if it is true but there is some talk on twitter that the bus company left because the campaign didn't pay them.  They were supposed to be paid up front.

Poncier said:

I'm not sure if it is true but there is some talk on twitter that the bus company left because the campaign didn't pay them.  They were supposed to be paid up front.

that plays from campaign history ftom 16
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mickeyrat said:
    I read the first article and as soon as I saw the company name I was like, wait, didn't I see an article the other day where their drug failed? Then sure enough, I saw that was the 2nd link you listed. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Administration probably already paid in advance.
  • Poncier said:
    Administration probably already paid in advance.
    Unlike the campaign.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • All to be sold to Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiina. What a great POTUS, that Team Trump Treason Tax Cheat. This is just, well, sad. We're so fucked as a species.

President Trump will open up more than half of Alaska’s Tongass National Forest to logging and other forms of development, according to a notice posted Wednesday, stripping protections that had safeguarded one of the world’s largest intact temperate rainforests for nearly two decades.

As of Thursday, it will be legal for logging companies to build roads and cut and remove timber throughout more than 9.3 million acres of forest — featuring old-growth stands of red and yellow cedar, Sitka spruce and Western hemlock. The relatively-pristine expanse is also home to plentiful salmon runs and imposing fjords. The decision, which will be published in the Federal Register, reverses protections President Bill Clinton put in place in 2001 and is one of the most sweeping public lands rollbacks Trump has enacted.

The new rule states that it will make “an additional 188,000 forested acres available for timber harvest,” mainly “old growth timber.”

For years, federal and academic scientists have identified Tongass as an ecological oasis that serves as a massive carbon sink while providing key habitat for wild Pacific salmon and trout, Sitka black-tailed deer and myriad other species. It boasts the highest density of brown bears in North America, and its trees — some of which are between 300 and 1,000 years old — absorb at least 8 percent of all the carbon stored in the entire Lower 48′s forests combined.

“While tropical rainforests are the lungs of the planet, the Tongass is the lungs of North America,” Dominick DellaSala, chief scientist with the Earth Island Institute’s Wild Heritage project, said in an interview. “It’s America’s last climate sanctuary.”

Logging in Alaska costs U.S. taxpayers millions each year, because of a long-standing federal mandate that companies profit from any timber sale. This means the Forest Service often covers harvesters’ costs, including road building. According to a Taxpayer for Common Sense analysis of the Forest Service’s accounts, the Tongass timber program has lost roughly $1.7 billion over the last 40 years.

Article continues

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/10/28/trump-tongass-national-forest-alaska/

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I know about that old system where the runner-up was VP (imagine a Trump/Hillary administration lol). But for some reason I recall seeing like Obama vs. McCain as one thing to vote on, and Biden vs. Palin as another. But I guess I’m just making it up. Or maybe confusing it with other top-ticket things like governorships. But probably just making it up. 
    I don't think that's happened in my voting lifetime. I think not too long ago, but still before my time, the VP was also the runner up for the party nomination. So it would have been a Biden-Sanders ticket (or whoever came in second). I think I remember reading that was how it worked through the 60s or 70s, but I can't remember for sure. But definitely not separate votes in my lifetime. 
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't think that's happened in my voting lifetime. I think not too long ago, but still before my time, the VP was also the runner up for the party nomination. So it would have been a Biden-Sanders ticket (or whoever came in second). I think I remember reading that was how it worked through the 60s or 70s, but I can't remember for sure. But definitely not separate votes in my lifetime. 
    That strikes me as a party process, not federal/election law.  Maybe one (or both) major party did do that, though.  Definitely before my time, if so. If, say, the Dems wanted to implement that for 2024, they certainly could do that.  So could the Greens or Libertarians, or GOP. It would certainly make the nomination process more fun/interesting.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited October 2020

Short Answer:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/when-did-vice-presidency-stop-going-to-second-place-ask-smithsonian-180957199/

When did the position of vice president of the United States stop going to the runner-up in the presidential election and become a separately elected office?

That was in 1804, when the 12th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified, says David Ward, senior historian at the National Portrait Gallery.

The amendment was proposed after the 1796 election resulted in a president (John Adams) and vice president (Thomas Jefferson) from opposing parties, and the 1800 election led to a tie between Jefferson and Aaron Burr. They were members of the same party (Democratic-Republican), but it took the House of Representatives 36 contentious ballots to break the tie, electing Jefferson president and Burr vice president. In 1804, Jefferson was re-elected and George Clinton became the first vice president under the 12th Amendment.

Long answer:

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/how-aaron-burr-changed-the-constitution

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.