Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Fender will no longer use ash bodies for production-line guitars

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,792
I also posted the link to this article in the AMT global warming thread but thought it would get some interest here in the Gearheads thread as it relates to the quality (or potential degrading of quality) on Fender instruments.  This is not an encouraging change and does not bode well for Fender guitars and the affordability of the ash guitars will remain in production.

“In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
-James Allen

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 18,016
    brianlux said:
    I also posted the link to this article in the AMT global warming thread but thought it would get some interest here in the Gearheads thread as it relates to the quality (or potential degrading of quality) on Fender instruments.  This is not an encouraging change and does not bode well for Fender guitars and the affordability of the ash guitars will remain in production.

wow. i heard something about this back when we were talking about specs for the tele i had built. the builder preferred to work with ash but said it is getting harder for him to come by. i kind of wanted ash too, but my strat is ash, so i was looking at alder to have a choice between the tele and the strat. we ended up finding a blue alder body after looking for ash for several weeks, so we went with the alder.

it sounds like they are looking at different types of ash that would be heavier and needing to be chambered. this could be interesting. can you imagine a 12 pound tele? would be like playing a 70s les paul, lol.
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

"i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

If you have never failed, you have never lived.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,792
    brianlux said:

wow. i heard something about this back when we were talking about specs for the tele i had built. the builder preferred to work with ash but said it is getting harder for him to come by. i kind of wanted ash too, but my strat is ash, so i was looking at alder to have a choice between the tele and the strat. we ended up finding a blue alder body after looking for ash for several weeks, so we went with the alder.

it sounds like they are looking at different types of ash that would be heavier and needing to be chambered. this could be interesting. can you imagine a 12 pound tele? would be like playing a 70s les paul, lol.

Yeah, it's a shame these woods are getting scarce.  If I were younger and an arborist I would be looking into places and ways to put in some healthy ash and alders.  I just can't imagine a tele made out of pine- it's such a weak type of wood. 
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen