The coronavirus

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited September 2020
    We had a very ambiguous email from our kid's principal the other day. It said we had a lot of kids with congestion and runny noses and "thank you for the parents who did the right thing and kept them home" then went on to explain this is not covid and there is no concern, there are a lot of allergies going around because of the smoke. 
    We even canceled outdoor lunch for 2 days because of the smoke.
    So we kept him home 1 day after that email then sent him back. Both our kids, still very young, have always had allergies and with this smoke has been worse, I'm not keeping them home until next spring because of a sensitive respiratory system. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    edited September 2020
    My sister and her grandson were tested negative because of a smoke related cough so he could attend daycare. 

Here's 2 slides from the September 22 Federal Government modelling.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/epidemiological-economic-research-data/mathematical-modelling.html

With schools open, one can reason we are not decreasing social encounters, so we can expect an upward trajectory greater than in the Spring, with less deaths due to lower ages of cases.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    holy shit. i've never seen fauci so awesome. that was a public stoning. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Great interview with the Editor-in-Chief of JAMA and Michael Osterholm, PhD, MPH 

https://youtu.be/MV2i0koiE7w

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    mrussel1 said:
    yep, this is my governor. my friends and i nearly, nearly died of schadenfreude last night. nearly. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    ^Oohhhh good word, gimme!
  • Going to sthlm next weekend... cases are going up there... 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada's PM has said the 2nd wave is upon us.  Yet know shutdown?  kind of a free for all.  LOL.  Maybe the mask is all that was ever needed.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Canada's PM has said the 2nd wave is upon us.  Yet know shutdown?  kind of a free for all.  LOL.  Maybe the mask is all that was ever needed.

If mask is all we need,  then a second wave shouldn't happen. 
    No, love is all we need. Ha!
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    tish said:
    ^Oohhhh good word, gimme!
    lol, gracias!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mrussel1 said:

I think masks and social distancing is important.  I am not sure that a second shutdown is appropriate.  Certainly we shouldn’t have a free for all, but mask mandates, limited gatherings, etc.  would be appropriate.  I don’t know that you shut down an entire economy for this virus.  It isn’t the big one.  It is bad though.  People are dying and it is terrible, but the side effects of shutting down the economy are bad as well.    Many businesses have gone under and aren’t coming back.   

I think we be diligent and smart until a vaccine comes.   Not all hide in our homes.  

I hate Trump.  Voting for Biden. Just not sure whether a shutdown and 3 trillion bailout that has only helped the rich is the most appropriate action.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my family is considering not having thanksgiving. just an outdoor gathering around a fire having dogs and smores. sigh. oh well. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:

I think masks and social distancing is important.  I am not sure that a second shutdown is appropriate.  Certainly we shouldn’t have a free for all, but mask mandates, limited gatherings, etc.  would be appropriate.  I don’t know that you shut down an entire economy for this virus.  It isn’t the big one.  It is bad though.  People are dying and it is terrible, but the side effects of shutting down the economy are bad as well.    Many businesses have gone under and aren’t coming back.   

I think we be diligent and smart until a vaccine comes.   Not all hide in our homes.  

I hate Trump.  Voting for Biden. Just not sure whether a shutdown and 3 trillion bailout that has only helped the rich is the most appropriate action.

You,think the $600 per week unemployment stipend only helped the rich?
    my family is considering not having thanksgiving. just an outdoor gathering around a fire having dogs and smores. sigh. oh well. 
    I'm supposed to host my family of 30 immediate, nearby members. That is definitely more than BC's safe 6. 

Not sure what or when to tell them... I can't be the only one knowing this is a bad idea.

Sidebar- I already roasted a bird, made soup, and offered my Mom a drop off plate. If I hide the turkey in my delicious stuffing I can get a bit of protein in my tall, lanky, growing girl. Mmm l-tryptophan.

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The rich are coming out of all this richer.  Middle class and below are able to pay the bills but will come out of this about even or worse. 
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The rich are coming out of all this richer.  Middle class and below are able to pay the bills but will come out of this about even or worse. 
    Saying the rich came out better is different than saying that government funds only helped the rich,  which is what you said.  

It's true that rich got richer due to the market surge,  which has been perpetuated by positive outlooks due to government spending.  But plenty of middle class have 401ks which have also benefited from the same,  just not to the same degree. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Saying we just need to wear masks is hilarious.  Americans won't wear masks.  Too fucking stupid.  
    By.  Fucking.  Far.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited September 2020
    Saying we just need to wear masks is hilarious.  Americans won't wear masks.  Too fucking stupid.  
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

Americans won’t do another shutdown either.

I am pissed off at Americans not wearing masks.  I agreed with the original shutdown.  We didn’t know much about the virus and it allowed hospitals to catch up.   

We learned this isn’t Ebola.  This isn’t the Spanish Flu.  This is a bad virus and should be taken seriously but I don’t think we should go to another full shutdown but somewhere near stage 2 or 3 if a shutdown was stage 1 and stage five was normal.

Just an opinion.  I go back and forth on this though.   
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Saying the rich came out better is different than saying that government funds only helped the rich,  which is what you said.  

It's true that rich got richer due to the market surge,  which has been perpetuated by positive outlooks due to government spending.  But plenty of middle class have 401ks which have also benefited from the same,  just not to the same degree. 
    Fine.  You win.  
  • my family is considering not having thanksgiving. just an outdoor gathering around a fire having dogs and smores. sigh. oh well. 
    My family has never celebrated Thanksgiving. You'll be alright.

Celebrate Midsummer next june instead. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • So is Sweden the only (western) country that doesn't have and never have had a forced (or even sternly recommended) facemask usage?

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

I am pissed off at Americans not wearing masks.  I agreed with the original shutdown.  We didn’t know much about the virus and it allowed hospitals to catch up.   

We learned this isn’t Ebola.  This isn’t the Spanish Flu.  This is a bad virus and should be taken seriously but I don’t think we should go to another full shutdown but somewhere near stage 2 or 3 if a shutdown was stage 1 and stage five was normal.

Health risks aside.  I don’t want another shutdown. That $600 unemployment boost helped but didn’t match what I make in an open economy.  My family had to subsidize with our savings. And of course now t extra benefits are gone.  Luckily I am back to work.  Even part time I am making more than the UE boost.  I know that my family won’t financially survive another shutdown...would we survive getting the virus with no long term effects? Hopefully.  It’s a bad situation to be in but another shutdown that doesn’t fully subsidize people isn’t worth it.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    static111 said:
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

Health risks aside.  I don’t want another shutdown. That $600 unemployment boost helped but didn’t match what I make in an open economy.  My family had to subsidize with our savings. And of course now t extra benefits are gone.  Luckily I am back to work.  Even part time I am making more than the UE boost.  I know that my family won’t financially survive another shutdown...would we survive getting the virus with no long term effects? Hopefully.  It’s a bad situation to be in but another shutdown that doesn’t fully subsidize people isn’t worth it.
    I'm curious for a study on the abuse of that unemployment boost. One example I know of this couple who had a booth in an antique shop, more for a hobby than income. When the store closed due to covid they applied for unemployment. Since they still had other income, they only qualified for the minimum $150 a week, but then automatically received the $600 bonus. Between the 2 of them they made $1500 a week in unemployment for an antique booth that probably only made them $1000 a month as extra income.
    Its terrible because it drains the pool for people who really need the money, and it could have lasted longer if there was better vetting, or not slashed the budget for schools and other places to pay for it. I'd be interested in seeing how common that was, or if it was pretty rare. If I had to guess I would say there was hundreds of millions in abuse, but I don't have any data to back that up.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    By.  Fucking.  Far.

I'm curious for a study on the abuse of that unemployment boost. One example I know of this couple who had a booth in an antique shop, more for a hobby than income. When the store closed due to covid they applied for unemployment. Since they still had other income, they only qualified for the minimum $150 a week, but then automatically received the $600 bonus. Between the 2 of them they made $1500 a week in unemployment for an antique booth that probably only made them $1000 a month as extra income.
    Its terrible because it drains the pool for people who really need the money, and it could have lasted longer if there was better vetting, or not slashed the budget for schools and other places to pay for it. I'd be interested in seeing how common that was, or if it was pretty rare. If I had to guess I would say there was hundreds of millions in abuse, but I don't have any data to back that up.

Safe to assume it gets abused, just like disability. Most people collect and then try to find a job “off the books”. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Fine.  You win.  
    Not trying to win, but I think your statement implies the gov't took action solely directed towards making the rich, richer.  And that simply isn't the case.  At least give the bipartisan effort credit where it's deserved.  The PPP program also helped tons of small businesses stay afloat and not send people to unemployment.  Sure it was abused by some, but you don't eliminate a program or disparage it based on the bad behavior of the very few.  
This discussion has been closed.