Options

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    anyone think that trump will (be forced to) nominate (by his much smarter team) someone in the middle or slightly left to try to snag up some of the undecided vote?
    No way they are going after Roe vs Wade! 
    trump is all about himself. he doesn't give two shits about his legacy or a conservative agenda. all he wants is power. and nominating a judge that goes down the middle might help him get some much needed undecided votes. or even conservative votes that vowed not to vote for him this time. 
    Moscow Mitch will have it his way I’d bet Mitch is on the phone right now with Covidiot 
    you could very well be right. But the republicans would be giving the democrats a pretty big fucking gift by trying to nominate a new SCJ with 50 days left to the election. all you have to do is play the tape on a loop of mitch saying no nomination should happen in an election year. 
    They are talking about this on CNN right now. I read that a few Repub senators said they will abstain from voting on a new justice. Mitt Romney was one of them. 
    Yes read that  Murkowski is another one.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This has got to be really tough on her family too.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    GlowGirl said:
    mace1229 said:
    No matter what side you’re on, you can’t deny her impact for women in this country and that this is a loss for the country.
    And for men too. In the early 1970s my dad’s cousin’s wife died in childbirth. She was a teacher and he was an artist. So she had a pension. At the time a widow could collect their husband’s pension but not the other way around. My dad’s cousin (my second cousin?) wanted to be a stay at home dad to the baby and Ruth Bader Ginsburg took his case to the Supreme Court and won and changed the law. Many years later when that baby (my third cousin?) got married RBG was already on the Supreme Court but kept in touch with the family all those years and officiated his wedding. 

Wonderful story.  These are the things we need to remember.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    PJNB said:
    Yes he does.  They are all in.   They will hypocritically jam someone through. I don’t think they care about reelection if they can stack the court with another crook.  Justice Ted Cruz or Justice Tom Cotton. If any of these twerps lose their masters will reward them for jamming through a Supreme Court nom.  If they do get a dirty judge on the court before November the election is already over.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Moscow Mitch has already put out a statement that he will bring Trumps nomination up for a Vote. Because the American people have spoken by electing a Republican majority to the senate to help support Donald Trumps presidency.   Even justifies how this is different from blocking Obama in an election year.   Everyone ready for the Fourth Reich?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    static111 said:
    Moscow Mitch has already put out a statement that he will bring Trumps nomination up for a Vote. Because the American people have spoken by electing a Republican majority to the senate to help support Donald Trumps presidency.   Even justifies how this is different from blocking Obama in an election year.   Everyone ready for the Fourth Reich?
    Even I am suprised how quickly he did this.  McSally wasted no time, either. Neither of them has a soul, of course. But I  thought they'd have waited until at least tomorrow.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    Even I am suprised how quickly he did this.  McSally wasted no time, either. Neither of them has a soul, of course. But I  thought they'd have waited until at least tomorrow.
    Right. They might as well be dancing on her grave. Zero compassion. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    static111 said:

He's been working on the mental gymnastics on this one since the day Trump was elected.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    GlowGirl said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    Right. They might as well be dancing on her grave. Zero compassion. 
    jesus. that POS couldn't wait one day to stick it to the libs? Fuck I'm glad I quit twitter. it would be a conservative hoe-down right now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    *goes to foxnews.com to check their reporting*

*scrolls through the comments*

well FUCK, I'll never do that again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I can't do that.  My current computer is relatively new and the last thing I want is broken knuckles. 

The far right is probably having a hey day.  But we need to stay strong and turn the tides.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Grief but not despondency.  Sorrow but not giving in.  We have to stay in this together and not give up.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Friendly reminder:

The US is fundamentally a 2 party system. Our checks and balances (used to) lie within the 3 coequal branches of government.

Nice job protest & 3rd party voters.  Try not to fuck it up again this time around.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I can only hope I am half the person she was.  Such an incredible person and truly inspirational.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    static111 said:

Probably trump will make his pick after the election. Senators  Collins Tillis and Gardner are looking defeat straight in the eyes.

Plus the potential pick has more value to trump more than the result of the pick. This is a huge political gift to trump he can use to leverage votes of moderates and conservatives. He could always make the pick during the lame duck.
  • Options
    I can only hope I am half the person she was.  Such an incredible person and truly inspirational.

Right on, KC.  This is the time to honor RGB and remember what she did and what we learned from her.  
    Tonight we mourn, tomorrow we move forward.  No rolling over and quitting.
    Thank you, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014

Wow. After reading this I went there to see what was being said. Pretty sad and disgusting what people will say.
  • Options
    This is crazy sad....I am crazy sad.  Just punch after punch lately.

What an example. What a woman. 

Thank you, RBG
  • Options
    I wish I had  even 1% of her desire; dedication; devotion; knowledge; energy . . . RIP Justice Ginsberg.  I consider myself a good person but this Supreme Court Justice will be not only a legacy of the Court but one remembered by the people of this country.  Let's face it, not many can claim that.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Ugh
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    mace1229 said:

Wow. After reading this I went there to see what was being said. Pretty sad and disgusting what people will say.
    People being a product of their leader.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116

The same case over and over again. 

If Biden wins and Dems take the senate, it’s time to pass a law to legally pack the court.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

The same case over and over again. 

If Biden wins and Dems take the senate, it’s time to pass a law to legally pack the court.

I don't follow, L.  What does "legally pack the court" mean?
    Like many  of you, no doubt, losing RBG was yet another gut punch yesterday.  I wasn't able to sleep last night, got to far out to sea, tried to fall asleep but got tangled in my-shirt and sheets and felt the sucking undertow of depression that drags one down, down, down.  Where did hope go?  I feel lost.

• Options
    Brian,
    I know exactly how you feel, it certainly felt like another gut punch. Hopefully RBG's passing will encourage people to get involved and get out and vote.
  • Options
    Brian,
    I know exactly how you feel, it certainly felt like another gut punch. Hopefully RBG's passing will encourage people to get involved and get out and vote.

I hope so.

• Options
    “Nationwide memorial for RBG. 8 p m, Saturday, September 19th, at courthouses everywhere. May her memory be a revolution.
  • Options
    “Nationwide memorial for RBG. 8 p m, Saturday, September 19th, at courthouses everywhere. May her memory be a revolution.

Candlelight vigil at our courthouse this evening.