Options

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,997
edited September 2020 in A Moving Train
This is terrible for so many reasons. She fought the good fight. 

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    RIP ...she fought hard.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    This is terrible news for ALL Americans 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    Oh fuck. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,607
    This is so bad 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    No matter what side you’re on, you can’t deny her impact for women in this country and that this is a loss for the country.
  • Options
    Yep it’s the worst thing for this country terrible news,RIP 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Will Moscow Mitch ram another one through 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773

Can he?  Is there any stopping this?  Is there any hope left?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Oh crap.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    No matter what side you’re on, you can’t deny her impact for women in this country and that this is a loss for the country.
    And for men too. In the early 1970s my dad’s cousin’s wife died in childbirth. She was a teacher and he was an artist. So she had a pension. At the time a widow could collect their husband’s pension but not the other way around. My dad’s cousin (my second cousin?) wanted to be a stay at home dad to the baby and Ruth Bader Ginsburg took his case to the Supreme Court and won and changed the law. Many years later when that baby (my third cousin?) got married RBG was already on the Supreme Court but kept in touch with the family all those years and officiated his wedding. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Can he?  Is there any stopping this?  Is there any hope left?
    I put nothing past Moscow Mitch! 
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 527
    Fuuuuck.  Guarantee Mitch will fast track another one through because they are all hypocrites to the worst degree, and there are basically no rules any more.  This really sucks.  RIP RBG
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Fuck you 2020
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    GlowGirl said:
    mace1229 said:
    And for men too. In the early 1970s my dad’s cousin’s wife died in childbirth. She was a teacher and he was an artist. So she had a pension. At the time a widow could collect their husband’s pension but not the other way around. My dad’s cousin (my second cousin?) wanted to be a stay at home dad to the baby and Ruth Bader Ginsburg took his case to the Supreme Court and won and changed the law. Many years later when that baby (my third cousin?) got married RBG was already on the Supreme Court but kept in touch with the family all those years and officiated his wedding. 
    that's awesome
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    anyone think that trump will (be forced to) nominate (by his much smarter team) someone in the middle or slightly left to try to snag up some of the undecided vote?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    RIP
  • Options
  • Options
    anyone think that trump will (be forced to) nominate (by his much smarter team) someone in the middle or slightly left to try to snag up some of the undecided vote?
    No way they are going after Roe vs Wade! 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Fuck you 2020
    This  ^
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    He will wait until the election to entice moderates and independents to vote for him but by the end of Nov will nominate a new judge if he loses to Biden.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Nope.

There is no compromise there.  Itll be a holy roller huge government red meat guy.

Also remember the court could very likely decide the contested election.

They are going to snuff out the other side (a majority of the country is on the other side)
  • Options
    trump is all about himself. he doesn't give two shits about his legacy or a conservative agenda. all he wants is power. and nominating a judge that goes down the middle might help him get some much needed undecided votes. or even conservative votes that vowed not to vote for him this time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Yes he has no shame
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    trump is all about himself. he doesn't give two shits about his legacy or a conservative agenda. all he wants is power. and nominating a judge that goes down the middle might help him get some much needed undecided votes. or even conservative votes that vowed not to vote for him this time. 
    Moscow Mitch will have it his way I’d bet Mitch is on the phone right now with Covidiot 
  • Options
    Moscow Mitch will have it his way I’d bet Mitch is on the phone right now with Covidiot 
    you could very well be right. But the republicans would be giving the democrats a pretty big fucking gift by trying to nominate a new SCJ with 50 days left to the election. all you have to do is play the tape on a loop of mitch saying no nomination should happen in an election year. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    There will be a 25 year old white supremacist in by the new year.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    you could very well be right. But the republicans would be giving the democrats a pretty big fucking gift by trying to nominate a new SCJ with 50 days left to the election. all you have to do is play the tape on a loop of mitch saying no nomination should happen in an election year. 
    They are talking about this on CNN right now. I read that a few Repub senators said they will abstain from voting on a new justice. Mitt Romney was one of them. 
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 527
    My only thread of hope right now.....  Repub senators in vulnerable seats this year may want nothing to do with a Supreme Court nom before the election.  However, if Biden wins they would likely try to push one through before inauguration.  If they do that I think dems need to play extreme hardball and then just simply add seats to the Supreme Court.  Would they have the balls?  Maybe not, and it won’t be good for the country either way.  It’ll be endless battles
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,853
    GlowGirl said:
    They are talking about this on CNN right now. I read that a few Repub senators said they will abstain from voting on a new justice. Mitt Romney was one of them. 
    Collins, Romney, Murkowski all will vote no if it comes up before the election. Maybe a couple of others. Once the election is done however they have 2 months still to be able to vote a new justice in. They will do it then and worry about the ramifications down the road.