Options

Prized possessions?

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
I did a search, and I couldn’t find a thread on this that had nothing to do with Pearl Jam.

So here goes. I’ll go first. 

I always joke with my son that if his teachers ever ask him what his favorite film is, then answer “Pink Flamingos.

Who’s next?
I SAW PEARL JAM

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hmmm.  A precious handful. Some I won’t post photos of, like a letter from my father; the others, tomorrow.

Good idea. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    I'll have to check those out, Danny-boy.

I'm not really attached to material things, although I have an amazing ability to remember where I got things, so gifts remind me of people.

I do love my little one ever so much, so I picked this.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Man, I feel like a dick. We've got some sweet family ones mentioned, and I post some VHS tapes.

Maybe I need a new family. :lol:
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Man, I feel like a dick. We've got some sweet family ones mentioned, and I post some VHS tapes.

Maybe I need a new family. :lol:
    You should feel like a dick! I went and found that letter from my dad, along with one he wrote to me just after 9/11, on the same date (not year) as when he died. Both are precious to me. 

Happy tears, ya bastard :kiss:
  • Options
    Dude, give yourself a break and stop with the upwards comparisons.  :o
  • Options
    tish said:
    Dude, give yourself a break and stop with the upwards comparisons.  :o
    I was joking, @tish

See that guy laughing at the end.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    As was I silly boy. 
  • Options
    Posing as better than you, get it? Upward comparisons....
     Anyhow, made me smike,
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    tish said:
    As was I silly boy. 
    Well, someone needs to take your ass to smileyface school, then! :giggle:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    I have a recording of me interviewing my grandfather for a high school project about WWII. He served in the Army in Europe, mostly in France I believe. He had some interesting stories about it.

My dad was a land surveyor and acquired a couple of antique surveying instruments (one which is worth quite a bit of money). He passed away when I was in college and he and mom wanted to pass them on to me. I think about him every time I see them. I also have some other things of his, but those are special to me.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    dankind said:
    tish said:
    As was I silly boy. 
    You said smileyface school... :lol:
  • Options
    dankind said:
    tish said:
    As was I silly boy. 
    You said smileyface school... :lol:
    @tish ^^^that’s how it’s done!^^^

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited September 2020

This one carries with it the memory of accidentally insulting my favorite playwright while getting his signature. 
    DK: It’s an honor to me you! I played the lesser part of Peter in The Zoo Story(shows the world’s greatest living playwright photos of production)

EA: (grumbles) What makes you think it’s the “lesser part!?”
    I like to think that I was the inspiration for Homelife in which Peter gets his due.

“The dogs are barking merrily as Jerry sits on high.”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    A couple of my most treasured items:
    A book I've had (and practically loved to death!) since probably around 1956:

CD signed by Paul Westerberg at the foot of his bus, 2/25/05.  After signing, Paul slapped the CD case shut, smearing the ink a bit on the other side.  I always thought that was oddly appropriate.  I really enjoy chatting with him a bit and he thought it was cool that C. and I love his song "Born For Me"  He said, "That's one of the best songs I've ever written."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    dankind said:

This one carries with it the memory of accidentally insulting my favorite playwright while getting his signature. 
    DK: It’s an honor to me you! I played the lesser part of Peter in The Zoo Story(shows the world’s greatest living playwright photos of production)

EA: (grumbles) What makes you think it’s the “lesser part!?”
    I like to think that I was the inspiration for Homelife in which Peter gets his due.

“The dogs are barking merrily as Jerry sits on high.”

What a great story!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    My old man's Rolex.  It is in my safe, I've never worn it.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I have a recording of me interviewing my grandfather for a high school project about WWII. He served in the Army in Europe, mostly in France I believe. He had some interesting stories about it.

My dad was a land surveyor and acquired a couple of antique surveying instruments (one which is worth quite a bit of money). He passed away when I was in college and he and mom wanted to pass them on to me. I think about him every time I see them. I also have some other things of his, but those are special to me.
    After my dad died, my stepmother sent me a wooden box containing human teeth.  You win =)

The photo of The Marx Bros. with a little blurb signed by Groucho to me in his later days means so much to me, as does the handwritten postcard Rick Neilsen sent me when Cheap Trick had just gained popularity.  Both were in response to earnest fan mail I sent to each of them in my 'tween years.  So long ago...

Also the burned mix cd's (remember those?) of Tool, PJ, Alice in Chains, Blind Melon and others that my husband sent me when we first got together - over 20 years ago!  I have absolutely no practical need for them anymore but I'll never throw them out.

I used to have a much-beloved PJ thong too, back in my thong-wearing days :whistle:
  • Options

Would you ever wear it, or would it be strange for you?
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,835
    edited September 2020
    I was thinking about this thread today. In terms of sentiment I have a poem that my dad wrote me on the day I was born. I have it framed. I also have a letter that my grandfather wrote to my grandmother from Europe where he was stationed in WW2. I am tempted to post a photo of letter for you all to read. It is so cool. At one point, he uses the phrase “Dish the dirt, Gert” when asking for news from home. 

My most prized music related possession is my  Pete Townshend signed Quadrophenia ticket. I remember feeling like such a dork asking him to sign it. It is framed along with a stage used Pete Townshend guitar pick. 

Also, my ticket stub collection. I have hundreds of them going back to my first concert in the early 1980’s. It was RUSH. I have them organized in an album and they each hold great memories of so many amazing bands. 

I also have a Ken Kesey signed One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, and a Jim Carrol signed Basketball Diaries. I saw both of them give readings and they signed my books. 

Those are just a few of the many possessions I treasure. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    hedonist said:

My father left me a couple of great wristwatches (Rolex Submariner, one of the first Omega Seamasters 18K), too. 

I wore them a lot, but they both need service. The only person I trust to service them is Alex Phillips in Bar Harbor, Maine. And who knows if I’ll ever get to go there again?

He also left me a nice pocket watch (Harris & Shafer 18K), but I fucked up and went into the ocean with it still in my pocket. Not even Alex Phillips could fix it without a near-total rebuild. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    hedonist said:

I don't think so.  My folks bought me a watch when I finished college that will do, for life.  The only time I took it off was when it was serviced until last year when I started running enough to warrant a running watch.  
    Once I'm done with running goals and will put the other watch back on until I expire

Only thing I wanted of his when he died, although I'm not a Rolex guy.
    My mom wanted me to have his Porsche but I didn't want anything to do with that.  I'm for sure not a Porsche guy.  
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

My father left me a couple of great wristwatches (Rolex Submariner, one of the first Omega Seamasters 18K), too. 

I wore them a lot, but they both need service. The only person I trust to service them is Alex Phillips in Bar Harbor, Maine. And who knows if I’ll ever get to go there again?

He also left me a nice pocket watch (Harris & Shafer 18K), but I fucked up and went into the ocean with it still in my pocket. Not even Alex Phillips could fix it without a near-total rebuild. 

Nice.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

After my dad died, my stepmother sent me a wooden box containing human teeth.  You win =)

The photo of The Marx Bros. with a little blurb signed by Groucho to me in his later days means so much to me, as does the handwritten postcard Rick Neilsen sent me when Cheap Trick had just gained popularity.  Both were in response to earnest fan mail I sent to each of them in my 'tween years.  So long ago...

Also the burned mix cd's (remember those?) of Tool, PJ, Alice in Chains, Blind Melon and others that my husband sent me when we first got together - over 20 years ago!  I have absolutely no practical need for them anymore but I'll never throw them out.

I used to have a much-beloved PJ thong too, back in my thong-wearing days :whistle:
    That is so cool that you got responses to your fan mail. David Cassidy never responded to my marriage proposal letter when I was seven. 

Didn’t know PJ came out with thongs. ISO 🤣
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

That is so cool that you got responses to your fan mail. David Cassidy never responded to my marriage proposal letter when I was seven. 

I wrote to him too! And Bobby Sherman :rofl:

DK, your Omega looks a lot like the one my dad had. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I love this thread 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

Ponce, your beautiful mind is hilarious 🤣. *I'm a quick study, Mr.Kind!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

:rofl: I forgot about Bobby Sherman. He was ever so dreamy on the cover of my Tiger Beat Magazine. And the Bay City Rollers. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

:rofl: I forgot about Bobby Sherman. He was ever so dreamy on the cover of my Tiger Beat Magazine. And the Bay City Rollers. 
    Were you a Shaun Cassidy girl as well?  I was for about a week, then got tired of that awful Da Doo Ron-Ron.

Jeez, I hope others know who the hell we're talking about =)
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

Were you a Shaun Cassidy girl as well?  I was for about a week, then got tired of that awful Da Doo Ron-Ron.

Jeez, I hope others know who the hell we're talking about =)
    Was never into Shaun Cassidy or Leif Garret or any of those others. I do remember having a crush on David Soul when he was on Starsky and Hutch. But that ended when he came out with that stupid song. If I still had my Starsky and Hutch TV shirt from 5th grade that would be a prized possession 😂