Options

Prized possessions?

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The lead singer of Pearl Jam went through a brief David Soul phase, too, I recall. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,766
    edited September 2020
    hedonist said:
    My old man's Rolex.  It is in my safe, I've never worn it.

Would you ever wear it, or would it be strange for you?

I don't think so.  My folks bought me a watch when I finished college that will do, for life.  The only time I took it off was when it was serviced until last year when I started running enough to warrant a running watch.  
    Once I'm done with running goals and will put the other watch back on until I expire

Only thing I wanted of his when he died, although I'm not a Rolex guy.
    My mom wanted me to have his Porsche but I didn't want anything to do with that.  I'm for sure not a Porsche guy.  

I'll take it. Thank you.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    All i have from my grandmother  that  died when i was 8. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    hedonist said:

I don't think so.  My folks bought me a watch when I finished college that will do, for life.  The only time I took it off was when it was serviced until last year when I started running enough to warrant a running watch.  
    Once I'm done with running goals and will put the other watch back on until I expire

Only thing I wanted of his when he died, although I'm not a Rolex guy.
    My mom wanted me to have his Porsche but I didn't want anything to do with that.  I'm for sure not a Porsche guy.  

I'll take it. Thank you.
    Sold and gone, sorry!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    The lead singer of Pearl Jam went through a brief David Soul phase, too, I recall. 

:rofl: I literally laughed out loud. 

GG, I’ll never forget - when David Soul’s album (Playing to an Audience of One) came out, Rolling Stone reviewed it. It said something to the effect of “Make that none, Dave. We just heard the album.”

I was all about Starsky. We even flirted twice (!) in the 80s :)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I had a 74 or 75 gran torino for a summer.
    It was not a cool two sport model like the Starsky-mobile.
  • Options
    If we had been in the same town, I could’ve raced you in my 80 Monza 350hp. Got away from a copper in that one. :smiley:

That car was awesome until I literally blew it up. Luckily, it happened right in front of a fire station, so I just walked in and let them know that I had a car outside on fire and watched them all spring into action. 

I got it running again, but it’s racing days were over after that. It was always a work in progress for the rest of its days. Still, wasn’t a bad little car for $200. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Gran Torino!

My only great car was my FRZ (and the dude’s Camaro). My first was just awful. My mom’s 1976 Buick Skyhawk hatchback,  bright yellow with a black top. I called it The Bumblebee. 
  • Options
    The Monza was midnight green. Very Godzilla. Named it The Monzsta. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The Gran Torino was a POS by the time I got it.  I could sleep on the back seat when loaded at parties, though.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,880
    dankind said:

Not his best look. I generally like blondes, but no  :o
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

:rofl: I literally laughed out loud. 

GG, I’ll never forget - when David Soul’s album (Playing to an Audience of One) came out, Rolling Stone reviewed it. It said something to the effect of “Make that none, Dave. We just heard the album.”

I was all about Starsky. We even flirted twice (!) in the 80s :)
    Ooh- you and Paul Michael Glaser. Do tell. 
  • Options
    I never had a cool car. My first car was a 1972 cherry red Dodge Dart Swinger inherited from my grandfather. All the cool kids in my HS drove Camaro’s, Corvettes, Jeeps, or Trans Ams. I did have a boyfriend who drove a cool black Camaro, and another who drove a Mustang. I think by the time I was a senior the muscle cars gave way to the BMWs. Not nearly as cool. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    When I was a kid someone in my town had a Gran Torino painted just like the striped tomato.
    Was quite a cool thing to see drive by as a kid.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    In that Billy Madison clip those were like the BMW girls at my high school 🙄
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

My father left me a couple of great wristwatches (Rolex Submariner, one of the first Omega Seamasters 18K), too. 

I wore them a lot, but they both need service. The only person I trust to service them is Alex Phillips in Bar Harbor, Maine. And who knows if I’ll ever get to go there again?

He also left me a nice pocket watch (Harris & Shafer 18K), but I fucked up and went into the ocean with it still in my pocket. Not even Alex Phillips could fix it without a near-total rebuild. 

That Omega is gorgeous.  Get that thing worked on and wear it!
  • Options
    My most prized possession is my 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie that I got when I was 10.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    My most prized possession is my 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie that I got when I was 10.
    Picture 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527

Before I set sail last August, I hoped to find the coin with a monkey on it. After my daughter was mugged by a monkey, we skipped viewing stalagmites in a cave and hitched a ride back to the ship with a young couple who were sitting outside a restaurant waiting for their drug dealer. The sweetie pie of a girl gave me these coins and they were jealous we have legal marijuana in Canada as it is an offense in Gilbraltar. There's a bit if hash still stuck on the one coin, but customs let it slide. 

• Options
    Wait, what?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    For the win?

:i_dunno:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527
    Thanks, that was fun.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    tish said:
    Thanks, that was fun.

Even more fun when you take a few coin tokes while reading this thread!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited September 2020
    $20 gold coin from the 1880's that was passed down on my dad's side.
    My mom's dad died was I was 7, never knew what he did in World War 2.  Flash forward to 2004 my mom and I were cleaning out his house after my grandmother died and he was found his canteen cover that he engraved with every single place he was at during the war.  D-day/ bastogne, etc.   
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    My mom's dad died was I was 7, never knew what he did in World War 2.  Flash forward to 2004 my mom and I were cleaning out his house after my grandmother died and he was found his canteen cover that he engraved with every single place he was at during the war.  D-day/ bastogne, etc.   
    Wow  great 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    that’s some cool stuff 
  • Options

My dad and I were always very close and discussed politics and history plenty. Somehow he never told me these existed. After he died, my aunt told me about these books. Apparently his high school senior thesis (didn’t know that was a thing) was on Truman. The paper somehow made its way to Truman (teacher or family) with a request to sign these books and postage included for return. He did sign them and send them back and also included the postage as former presidents apparently don’t pay postage, according to his note (which no longer exists).  They were on our shelf the whole time and obviously now mine
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    I just learned yesterday that the "S" in Harry S. Truman stands for nothing other than "S."

my middle initial is "F"...it can stand for whatever you want.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16