Advice on how to get out of jury duty.

13»

Comments

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Poncier said:
    In all honesty, if I had made the initial cut, I wouldn't have bull shitted.  I just more wanted to start this thread as more humor than seriousness. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0glbG6c-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh_BYo5fCjI

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    ^^^Man, that is Classic^^^
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited October 2019
    I’ve only ever been called in to the jury box once. I was the second juror dismissed because of law enforcement in my family. I would have been so ticked if I was everyone else. It was only 4:00 on a Thursday before a 3-day weekend (Monday was a holiday).
    As soon as I was dismissed the judge says he’s done for the day and tells everyone else to come back tomorrow. I would have been furious and probably shouted at the judge to stay until 5:00 like we’re supposed to do I can know if I need to come back.

But I still did cause a scene at the clerk’s office. When I went to report I was dismissed the clerk said she just turned off the computer and can’t process anything and I was going to have to return tomorrow for the paperwork. After arguing for about 5 minutes and she wasn’t budging I just said “okay that’s fine, just know I will not be returning tomorrow because I am leaving for the holiday weekend and if you’re okay with me giving your name and that you clocked out an hour early as the reason why I didn’t complete my service then I’m fine with that too.” She huffed and puffed and rolled her eyes and took the 5 minutes to process my paper.
    But how ridiculous and rude, she wanted me to come back an extra day so she could leave 5 minutes earlier. And all those people that got dismissed the first hour the next day wouldn’t have to come back if the judge didn’t feel like going home early either. I think that part of the process is a joke.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Ha ha. I was cleaning out my desk at work yesterday, and I found an unopened jury summons from 2016 in it. 

I told my wife (a lawyer), and her eyes about popped out of her head. 

Then I told her about how when we lived in Brooklyn I did the same thing (ignored a jury summons) and consequently got sent a couple of threatening sounding letters that I also ignored—and not a damn thing happened. 

She was thoroughly nonplussed. She uttered some non sequitur along the lines of “well, good luck with all that.” Good luck with incidents from three and (probably) ten years ago, respectively? :rofl:

Ignorance really is bliss sometimes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I would like to sit on a jury again at some point.  What’s interesting is that my name is on a rotation at two different courthouses, federal and city.  I served on a jury at the federal courthouse in 2016, so I may get summoned there again next year,
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Guess who has a jury duty summons in the mail? 🙋‍♀️
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:

Guess who has a jury duty summons in the mail? 🙋‍♀️
    Woo!!!

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mace1229 said:
    I’ve only ever been called in to the jury box once. I was the second juror dismissed because of law enforcement in my family. I would have been so ticked if I was everyone else. It was only 4:00 on a Thursday before a 3-day weekend (Monday was a holiday).
    As soon as I was dismissed the judge says he’s done for the day and tells everyone else to come back tomorrow. I would have been furious and probably shouted at the judge to stay until 5:00 like we’re supposed to do I can know if I need to come back.

But I still did cause a scene at the clerk’s office. When I went to report I was dismissed the clerk said she just turned off the computer and can’t process anything and I was going to have to return tomorrow for the paperwork. After arguing for about 5 minutes and she wasn’t budging I just said “okay that’s fine, just know I will not be returning tomorrow because I am leaving for the holiday weekend and if you’re okay with me giving your name and that you clocked out an hour early as the reason why I didn’t complete my service then I’m fine with that too.” She huffed and puffed and rolled her eyes and took the 5 minutes to process my paper.
    But how ridiculous and rude, she wanted me to come back an extra day so she could leave 5 minutes earlier. And all those people that got dismissed the first hour the next day wouldn’t have to come back if the judge didn’t feel like going home early either. I think that part of the process is a joke.
    I cannot stand when someone spends more time arguing with you about why they can't or won't do something than the time it would take to just do the fucking thing.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    DewieCox said:
    pjhawks said:
    So weird having jurys made out of random people who knows nothing of the law deciding on peoples fates.

I would be too scared to say or think anything.
    why? it's actually a great system. a  jury of 12 is far less likely to be biased than 1 judge.  and you are given specific instructions on what each charge is and what is required for said charge to be guilty.  the problems in our justice system do not come from a jury system. They come from prosecutors who have a very wide leeway on who is charged and what charges are brought.  that is a much bigger issue than juries.  
    Why do you limit it to a binary choice of "the great system of 12" or "the bad system of 1 judge" ?
    Please inform us what the best system is.  We can all tell you are dying to tell us.
    Too dangerous. I got banned and is on some form of  probation because of "sarcasm". So I feel rather lawless on here and is not here to debate.
    I just asked a question to pjhawk out of curiosity. And not on AMT, but on AET.

Hope you understand. Thank you.
    I feel for ya man. Once person arbitrarily deciding your innocence or guilt based as much or more on their overarching viewpoint than the actual offense  If only there were a system where they randomly selected 12 fellow poster to review the incident and decide if you should be punished or not. 
    Haha...well played.

I got summoned a couple months back. Luckily wasn't picked, got out at noon and had time for a quick 18 holes before heading home. It was a nice little Tuesday actually. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I have been selected to serve on three different cases. Sat through three trials. It was interesting to be a part of the process and I learned a lot each time. Sure it was inconvenient to my daily life but you just suck it up and do it. Civic responsibility and all..   
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    So I ended up not getting picked.  There was a blood drive going on in the courthouse, and anyone who wanted to participate was put into a separate juror pool.  I volunteered, however they only took 6 down at a time and went by alphabetical order.  I ended up not giving blood, because the drive ended around 3pm and when I was placed back into the standard juror pool it was almost the end of the day.  Then all of us, who weren't picked were told we didn't have to come back today. 
    So only one day there?
    Could have been worse - too bad they were not able to collect blood from all who wanted to donate, this is a valuable resource.
    I used to donate all of the time.  I have O negative.  At some point, when things are more practical in my life, I'd like to get back to doing it more regularly.
    Dude, I hope things have become more practical in your life, O- is universal, anyone can use it.  Please try and make time (see my tag line).  

As far as jury duty, I have no problem except when it comes to car accidents.  I've been sued for accidents that I was involved with but in no way caused - my vehicle was struck and I struck another vehicle; therefore, I can be sued. I didn't have control of my vehicle.  Yes I did, before someone else hit me, I absolutely had control of my vehicle.  Otherwise, I believe in the process and do appear when summoned.
    So I ended up not getting picked.  There was a blood drive going on in the courthouse, and anyone who wanted to participate was put into a separate juror pool.  I volunteered, however they only took 6 down at a time and went by alphabetical order.  I ended up not giving blood, because the drive ended around 3pm and when I was placed back into the standard juror pool it was almost the end of the day.  Then all of us, who weren't picked were told we didn't have to come back today. 
    So only one day there?
    Could have been worse - too bad they were not able to collect blood from all who wanted to donate, this is a valuable resource.
    I used to donate all of the time.  I have O negative.  At some point, when things are more practical in my life, I'd like to get back to doing it more regularly.
    Dude, I hope things have become more practical in your life, O- is universal, anyone can use it.  Please try and make time (see my tag line).  

As far as jury duty, I have no problem except when it comes to car accidents.  I've been sued for accidents that I was involved with but in no way caused - my vehicle was struck and I struck another vehicle; therefore, I can be sued. I didn't have control of my vehicle.  Yes I did, before someone else hit me, I absolutely had control of my vehicle.  Otherwise, I believe in the process and do appear when summoned.
    It is something I want to do.  I’m still not in a good spot to donate regularly again. :-/
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I just recycled the summons I received yesterday with all the other junk mail. :smiley:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    I just recycled the summons I received yesterday with all the other junk mail. :smiley:
    Sounds like corona central anyway. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    You don't trust the govt to keep things clean?
    :rofl:.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    If they can’t do it figuratively, it only stands to reason...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    If they can’t do it figuratively, it only stands to reason...
    Agree!
    The last time I was called up for jury duty, I did as I always do and submitted a letter from work stating that they do not pay jury duty benefits. They were not very nice about it. The fax submission wasn't going through correctly, the lady treated me like I was an idiot as she felt the need to list the specs I needed to meet in order to be excused. 

"It's not my first time."

"You mean that they won't pay you for a week of jury duty?!"

"No."

I was excused. 

Remember that M went in with a death metal shirt on. It may have been from the band Aborted. He was also excused. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Poncier said:
    Act like you have Tourette's and keep blurting out stuff like "Judge is an asshole!", "whoop whoop guilty!" "Fry the bastard!" "Qantas never crashed"
    reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman pretends to have tourette's :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1KMYvqkeo&t

Not what I expected to find in a thread on jury duty....

But, as the mother of a young man with severe Tourette's, I'll say two things:

1) That South Park episode actually does an excellent job of describing life with TS, if you watch it and pay attention.

2) TS isn't funny, it's painful and isolating.

As for jury duty, I don't think they're even empaneling juries locally right now. The call room holds about 500 people, so, yeah, corona central.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Poncier said:
    Act like you have Tourette's and keep blurting out stuff like "Judge is an asshole!", "whoop whoop guilty!" "Fry the bastard!" "Qantas never crashed"
    reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman pretends to have tourette's :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1KMYvqkeo&t

Not what I expected to find in a thread on jury duty....

But, as the mother of a young man with severe Tourette's, I'll say two things:

1) That South Park episode actually does an excellent job of describing life with TS, if you watch it and pay attention.

2) TS isn't funny, it's painful and isolating.

As for jury duty, I don't think they're even empaneling juries locally right now. The call room holds about 500 people, so, yeah, corona central.
    @curmudgeoness

I'm sorry. I know my daughter's brother also has Tourette's.  Between Tourette's, ADHD and OCD, he and his family moved because the parents of the sports teams he was on had some FB discussion thing going on about how they wanted to get him kicked off the teams. Tourette's only caused more people to shut him out. However, he has graduated from high school and gone on to the Army. He appears to be doing well. Kiddo needed a break. 
    edited September 2020
    A boy on our nephews baseball team had tourettes and the kids were actually really good with him.  Was nice to see.  The way he kind of went with whatever was going on was impressive.  
    No idea how he does in school or wherever else but he was an awful baseball player but accepted as a normal goofy kid on a team loaded with them

I believe I have at least another year before they can call me again - we don't pay for time off for it, either.