What book are you reading?

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Will hopefully be reading this come October. And I'm not a reader. The preview looks interesting 
    https://amzn.to/2Ptg2ne
    I miss igotid88
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Pap said:

just ordered. thanks for the recommendation!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701

So far, I like it.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
    I read that a few months ago. Pretty interesting.

Pap said:

This one is really good so far. Do yourself a favour and order his first book too. It's called The Singing Earth and also comes with a perfect soundtrack. :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pap said:
    Pap said:

This one is really good so far. Do yourself a favour and order his first book too. It's called The Singing Earth and also comes with a perfect soundtrack. :wink:
    right, i forgot about that one. thanks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I recently finished the new Willie Mays book which was very good.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Jon Krakauer, Classic Krakauer.
    IMG
    This is such an excellent book! As much as I really like Krakauer's Into... books and the longer ones, I'm a huge fan of his essays and outdoor stories. This one along with Eiger Dreams are two BIG favorites.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2020
    GlowGirl said:
    Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
    I read that a few months ago. Pretty interesting.

I'm really enjoying it. 

Just finished the book @GlowGirl - I havent enjoyed reading a novel so much in ages. Apparently Reese Witherspoon bought the rights to the film, so I'll be looking forward to that if things ever return to normal again.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
    What did I do?  Not necessarily for me, but as far as the world around me goes, this is the worst year of my life.  A year of disease, tyranny, massive fires, hatred, racism, death, ennui, depression.  I read to learn and I read to be entertained.  So what did I do?  I read Albert Camus' The Stranger.  It's a "classic".  Classics are occasionally humorous, frequently tragic.  Of course it was going to be tragic.  Of course it would pull me down deeper into depression.  What kind of fool am I? 

Don't be a fool like me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    What did I do?  Not necessarily for me, but as far as the world around me goes, this is the worst year of my life.  A year of disease, tyranny, massive fires, hatred, racism, death, ennui, depression.  I read to learn and I read to be entertained.  So what did I do?  I read Albert Camus' The Stranger.  It's a "classic".  Classics are occasionally humorous, frequently tragic.  Of course it was going to be tragic.  Of course it would pull me down deeper into depression.  What kind of fool am I? 

Don't be a fool like me.
    it's getting harder and harder to find something that takes our minds away from the collective doom we're all feeling. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

Don't be a fool like me.
    it's getting harder and harder to find something that takes our minds away from the collective doom we're all feeling. 

Yes, my friend, absofuckinlutely.  

Starting this evening, my next read is going to be much friendlier to the mind:
    The Garner Files A Memoir by James Garner

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

Don't be a fool like me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Don't be a fool like me.

Eric Anderson Shadow and Light of Albert Camus

Shadow And Light Of Albert Camus  album cover

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    I am interrupting book 3 of the Harry Potter series to read aloud My Name is Seepeetza, by Shirley Sterling to my daughter, which her Indigenous Advocate at school lent her.

It has a similar diary format like Anne Frank's book, written at an Indian Residential School. My daughter asked me how these First Nation, Inuit, and Metis children died. I can hardly answer.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    The last couple weeks I’ve been on a bit of an Elmore Leonard kick, I love his writing! I’m sad to admit I only came to him through a tv show (Justified), but now I’ll adding him to my list of authors to work through their catalog. Started with The Hot Kid, then the Raylan Givens stories, on the last book now, lol.

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    So many good Elmore stories, enjoy!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    3 at once! :smiley:

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Bernard Cornwell - War Lord (13th and final book in The Last Kingdom series)

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Ack!  Didn't order that one yet, wasn't aware it was out.
    Yarden said:

Went to order and not out for another 5-6 weeks.
    Did you get digital version or some other version?
    Yarden said:

it's an audiobook. i got the audible uk version.
    Yarden said:
    Yarden said:

Excellent, thanks.  Enjoy it, I look forward to reading in late Nov!
    Yarden said:
    Yarden said:

Excellent, thanks.  Enjoy it, I look forward to reading in late Nov!
    thanks! same to you.
    Back into the mountains I go!  This is the last one by Ed Viesturs that I haven't read.  They're all very good to great.  Liking it already as he is not at all hesitant to talk about the abuse of the mountain and the over-crowding.  I'm a bit burned out on Everest Stories (there are so many other great climbs to read about!) but because it's Viesturs, I must read it and I'll enjoy it, no doubt.

The Mountain My Time on Everest

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    THE FORCE PB
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..