Comments

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    One of the best war books of all time.
    The Things They Carried Tim OBrien 9780544309760 Amazoncom Books

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Singer of Airborne Toxic Event.
    Released an album with the the same name.
    Hollywood Park A Memoir - Kindle edition by Jollett Mikel

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2020
    Malroth said:
    One of the best war books of all time.
    The Things They Carried Tim OBrien 9780544309760 Amazoncom Books

Agreed! Old grad school paper. (I got an A!)

Reading this now. 

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm still reading Jim Bouton's funny as hell Ball Four.  It's a great book but the revised edition is 450 pages of small print and after awhile my eyes start watering and I have to stop reading.  This one will take a while--- but worth it!
    Ball Four Twentieth Anniversary Edition Bouton Jim

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Ball Four was so great!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Evicted Poverty and Profit in the American City Desmond Matthew
    Not very far into it, but fascinating read so far.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170

This weekend we rock Portland
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Poncier said:

Not a fan of the cover, but I hear this is a pretty good read?  Liking it so far?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Yes, so far  a very good read.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Finally read The Beastie Boys Book (great!) and Hammer of The God's (ok but should not be read after The Beastie Boys Book)

Just read this, this weekend.  Enjoyed it

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey

Currently, book six, Babylon’s Ashes.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

Not a fan of the cover, but I hear this is a pretty good read?  Liking it so far?
    i read it on our trip to dominican in 2005 and i couldn't put it down. amazing read. wish i didn't give it away. give it away. give it away now. 

i'd love to read it again. and i had the hard cover too! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

i read it on our trip to dominican in 2005 and i couldn't put it down. amazing read. wish i didn't give it away. give it away. give it away now. 

Flea’s book was great! I never read this one. I don’t really care about lead singers. Don’t we hear enough of their shit?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

Flea’s book was great! I never read this one. I don’t really care about lead singers. Don’t we hear enough of their shit?
    depends on the lead singer i suppose. i knew basically nothing about AK prior to reading this book. i doubt i'd need a book about vince neil or axl rose, however, but his was great. 

i also read flea's. it was pretty good, if you want to read about a musician's completely normal life prior to being in a band. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

ordered the chris cornell Total F*cking Godhead and it comes tomorrow. Vicky actually endorsed it on instagram, while admitting it isn't an officially authorized biography. hope it's good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

depends on the lead singer i suppose. i knew basically nothing about AK prior to reading this book. i doubt i'd need a book about vince neil or axl rose, however, but his was great. 

i also read flea's. it was pretty good, if you want to read about a musician's completely normal life prior to being in a band. 
    That is exactly what I like to read. It's one reason why Patti Smith's books are so compelling to me.

I just figured Anthony's book would be a catalog of sexual conquests, beginning at, (what?) like, age 7.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

That is exactly what I like to read. It's one reason why Patti Smith's books are so compelling to me.

I just figured Anthony's book would be a catalog of sexual conquests, beginning at, (what?) like, age 7.
    i also like it, but to be honest, flea's pre-musician life wasn't all that compelling. it was a completely normal divorced family who moved around a bit story. it was honestly only interesting to me because i obviously knew who he was. beyond that, it was kind of just....normal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

i also like it, but to be honest, flea's pre-musician life wasn't all that compelling. it was a completely normal divorced family who moved around a bit story. it was honestly only interesting to me because i obviously knew who he was. beyond that, it was kind of just....normal. 
    During those kind of just normal times, though, those passages recounting his reactions to music (physical, emotional, spiritual), recognizing his calling, sensing the divine, if you will. All that was just so sublimely rendered, I thought. One could almost experience his rapture.

As for Kiedis, he has written some of the greatest lyrics of our generation, but he also wrote "The Zephyr Song" and "Give It Away." 

I think my wife has Scar Tissue. I've heard enough good reviews at this point to give it try at some point.

Undertaking Proust right now, so it'll be a good, long while, methinks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

During those kind of just normal times, though, those passages recounting his reactions to music (physical, emotional, spiritual), recognizing his calling, sensing the divine, if you will. All that was just so sublimely rendered, I thought. One could almost experience his rapture.

As for Kiedis, he has written some of the greatest lyrics of our generation, but he also wrote "The Zephyr Song" and "Give It Away." 

I think my wife has Scar Tissue. I've heard enough good reviews at this point to give it try at some point.

What I've got I've got you've to get it put it in you

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I have a bunch of unread books......gonna try to dive into the Alex Trebek auto-biography next.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

I just read Anthony's book and thought it was atrocious.  Absolutely, nothing for the first half of the book except his sexual exploits and prodigious drug use.  By the time he got to the musicianship, I was stunned that he was ever able to write or perform at all.  I definitely would not recommend it because it doesn't read well.  It is written as musings and can feel a bit disjointed.  
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Finally finished!

And these...

Now reading....

Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    James Baldwin....I need to pick some of that up again.  So good 
  • PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    Microserfs by Douglas Coupland. Interesting to read a book about computer programmers written in 1997, pre smart-phone days.
    riotgrl said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

I just read Anthony's book and thought it was atrocious.  Absolutely, nothing for the first half of the book except his sexual exploits and prodigious drug use.  By the time he got to the musicianship, I was stunned that he was ever able to write or perform at all.  I definitely would not recommend it because it doesn't read well.  It is written as musings and can feel a bit disjointed.  
    interesting. i couldn't put it down. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

yeah, his spirituality definitely was a big part of the book and his life. i did enjoy that part of it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD