"Painted Shield" a new album by Stone Gossard and Mason Jennings

just confirmed on reddit by the man himself 

"Im finishing up a record i co wrote with Mason Jennings that is a song away from being mixed. Its called Painted Shield. its really good. Hopefully out in a few months if we survive this crazy shit ." 

Im excited!!!

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    https66mediatumblrcom1e111b5ee27ae28efa0bba9e134a6241tumblr_nvyatdajtw1ui7om8o1_500gifv
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 555
    Just did a quick dig and found this interview with Mason. He answers a question about it. Matt Chamberlain on drums. All songs were co-written. Hoping for some juicy Stone solos.

https://www.independentri.com/arts_and_living/article_d0d11314-63dc-11ea-a7ec-cb686e37b04e.html
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    He says he sings in it, hopefully Stone sings a couple songs.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    kramer73 said:
    He says he sings in it, hopefully Stone sings a couple songs.
    I would dance on my couch like tom cruise on oprah just to hear Stone sing again
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314

edited April 2020
    Mason Jennings talks quarantine activities, including a new musical project with Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam

by Sylvia Jennings · April 17, 2020

Mason Jennings prepares the set list for his Saturday night livestream. (via Mason Jennings on Facebook)

Morning Show host Jill Riley has been spending her mornings chatting with various musicians about what they have been up to while the music industry has been essentially put on pause to slow the spread of COVID-19. She connected with Minnesota singer-songwriter Mason Jennings to discuss what he’s been doing to keep busy during this quarantine period, including painting, yoga, and a new musical project with Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam.

Jill Riley: Mason, how are you doing?

Mason Jennings: I’m doing good. Thanks for having me on.

What have you been doing during this very strange time in the music industry and very strange time in life in general?

Just trying to get a feel for this new way of life. I’ve been cooking a lot and painting a lot. I had an Etsy painting store that I started last year, and this is a great time to be painting a lot more. Also, I’ve been working on a new record. I’m actually in a new band with Stone Gossard, from Pearl Jam, and drummer Matt Cameron. It’s called Painted Shield. We’re finishing up our first record, and have been finishing up virtually, which has been pretty fun.

I didn’t know that you were working on a new project, a new band. 

Yeah, it’s cool. Stone and I started doing some stuff together like five years ago, but then last April I was like, “Let’s try to make a record,” and he was like, “Let’s make it a band.” It’s all co-written; he writes the music, I write the melodies and lyrics. It’s way more rock. Producer John Congleton, who’s worked with Angel Olsen and St. Vincent, has done a lot of the production on it. It’s definitely more rock, and more progressive and electronic, too. I’m pretty excited about it.

Did you have a lot of the music written or recorded before the pandemic kind of took over the world? I imagine that process would be pretty difficult now. 

It’s pretty much done. It was getting mastered during that time. At the end, because everyone was in their own homes, Stone was like, “Since everyone’s just hanging out, let’s make a final song.” We ended up doing one song virtually, and it turned out pretty cool, and ended up being the first song on the record. There was a positive to it, to have everyone kind of just be hanging out. Projects that they were working on got put on hold, so we got to finish the record that way.

With the music industry being on hold, does that affect when you guys are able to release the record?

I think the release day won’t be affected. I think it’ll probably come out in the next couple of months. I think as far as touring, any kind of shows are indefinitely on hold.

I see you’re doing one of these virtual gigs on Saturday night. Have you done anything like that before?

No, I’ve never tried it. I’ve been doing a lot of online yoga, and a lot of my friends that are teachers were doing online yoga. There’s something about having it be an actual live interaction that’s been really cool for me to watch. I thought I should try it, so I’m kind of just doing it as an experiment. I got a special microphone that works with the phone, so I’m just going to do an experiment. It’s going to be free for all, but if people want to donate, that’s cool too. It’s basically just trying it out to see how it feels.

Is it kind of weird to sort of let people into your house?

Yeah. It’s definitely something I’ve never done before, but you know, I’ll be in my living room. That’s the time we’re living in. It seems like people need each other, and for me, music is a big support for me, so hopefully it will be helpful for other people.

So Mason, you mentioned you’ve been doing virtual yoga, and I wondered if you had any advice in how yoga has helped you get through the anxiety of this pandemic. 

Yoga is huge for me. It’s something I’ve been doing for 11 years. I never really had done an online yoga class before, because I used to go to the studios. It’s actually been really cool, especially the ones that are on live on Zoom. At first, Zoom was weird for me because I didn’t really want to be seen. Then I was like, “You know what? I like when people are on Zoom and I can see other people.” Even seeing other people doing yoga together has been really uplifting and moving to be like, “Wow, we’re all in this together.”

I’ve been asking musicians if there is a particular song in their catalog that has floated to the surface, whether it’s a connection with fans, or just songs that you’ve been thinking about as related to the time that we’re living in. 

A song of mine that I’ve been playing a little bit more is a song called “Sacred Place.” It’s kind of an obscure song. It’s on an EP that you can only get on iTunes. “Sacred Place” is about meditation, which I think might be helpful if people are looking for a song that is calming. For other artists, I heard that song by U2 called “One,” and for some reason, that’s been in my head a lot lately.

Post edited by demetrios on
    I’m actually in a new band with Stone Gossard, from Pearl Jam, and drummer Matt Cameron. It’s called Painted Shield.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,838
    This sounds great! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • So excited about this band! :heart: 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Pretty cool!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Awesome news!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    if that mason/stone 7” that was put out a few years ago is any indication, this will be pretty good. looking forward to hearing what they came up with.
    edited September 2020
    Post edited by demetrios on
    edited September 2020
    Preorder is not live yet.  
    kramer73 said:
    Preorder is not live yet.  

Awesome!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Nice! Always good to hear more Stone  B)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Nice! Always good to hear more Stone  B)

Indeed! :)
    Sounds pretty good, not what I expected at all.
  • I really like it. Looking forward to hearing more.
  • KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,033
    Sounds like a collab between Cake and U2
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Sounds cool - Radioheadesque.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Love it
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 347
    Loosegroove records is back and releasing this album. 
  • maxferlmaxferl Quebec City Posts: 118
    I can hear some NIN like vibe in the first single
    edited September 2020
    • One song, “Ten Years From Now,” came from a very personal conversation between Gossard and Jennings. “I was going through a really hard divorce,” Jennings says. “My original take was more of a very negative, catharsis screaming song. Stone was like, ‘You know what? What if you open that up a bit? What if you look at this from 10 years out?’ I just started singing from there and it just flowed.”
    • Josh Freese plays drums on the three tracks on the album, but Matt Chamberlain handled the rest and played a key role in the development of the songs. “Matt opened up his songwriting vault and sent about five or six arranged beats, but with some harmonic information,” Gossard says. “Two of those wound up being the last two songs we did on the record, which was ‘I Am Your Country’ and ‘Orphaned Ghost.’ Matt is just an incredibly creative person.”
    • Songs like “Time Machine” and equally massive barnburner “Evil Winds” — featuring slide guitar licks from Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready — pushed Jennings out of his comfort zone.
    • While Jennings handled the vocals, Gossard did the heavy lifting on the music, sifting through demos up to 15 years old and recording at Gossard’s Studio Litho in Fremont with cameos from ace Seattle sideman Jeff Fielder, Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament and others.
    • As for Loosegroove, Gossard and label partner Regan Hagar (who plays with Gossard in Seattle alt-rock outfit Brad) plan to release a single from local soul singer Tiffany Wilson and a solo album from Painted Shield’s Davis. Also in the works is an unreleased Brad album Gossard said was “pretty much done” when soulful frontman Shawn Smith died last year.
    Post edited by Pap on