Whale Wars= total incompetance

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    "Save the whales" sounds so antiquated. But maybe so am I, and that's ok too. :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    i agree with wot they are doing but i didnt like the way they tried to interfere with the faroe islanders ...theres so many things us humans SHOULD be doing so i suppose every bit helps although if we are just talking about the sea wot about all the fish that get thrown back into the sea DEAD just because of quotas ...i know fisher men have to make money and its not really there fault but maybe changing the size of the nets that are used ,farming fish would be a better way imo.
    its not just whales that need saving the blue finned tuna needs help christ all animals except cats,dogs,and humans need help .

i know wot i mean :D
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    heard a japanese fellow the other day trying to justify the commercial whale hunt mascarading as scientific research by equating the consumption of whale meat in japan to aussies eating kangaroo meat.. only trouble is we dont eat kangaroo meat in the way hes trying to establish. he went on to say that as an island nation reliant on the surrounding sea for its sustainence, japan has a right to hunt whales. my question to him is well if thats the case why not hunt whales around your home islands? why come all the way down to the southern oceans to hunt? i also thought him speaking this way totally negated japans insistence that their hunts are for research purposes(like we ever thought they were) sadly so long as the australian govt chooses to sit on its hands through its insistence that its doing something by going through the international courts(cause we all know how efficent it is) japan will continue its killing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    heard a japanese fellow the other day trying to justify the commercial whale hunt mascarading as scientific research by equating the consumption of whale meat in japan to aussies eating kangaroo meat.. only trouble is we dont eat kangaroo meat in the way hes trying to establish. he went on to say that as an island nation reliant on the surrounding sea for its sustainence, japan has a right to hunt whales. my question to him is well if thats the case why not hunt whales around your home islands? why come all the way down to the southern oceans to hunt? i also thought him speaking this way totally negated japans insistence that their hunts are for research purposes(like we ever thought they were) sadly so long as the australian govt chooses to sit on its hands through its insistence that its doing something by going through the international courts(cause we all know how efficent it is) japan will continue its killing.

The Japanese eat a lot of Whale meat. There is never enough for demand so sometimes Dolphin is sold as Whale meat. Dolphin meat has too many toxins and humans get sick eating it. I still won't eat Shark fin because of this strange ness. Many sharks die horribly for just the fins. Can another culture criticize another culture because of their food resources? I have thought about this for many years and I still have no answers for myself.

The Animal Planet show is just Jello for my brain. except for that boat crash..... ;)
  • Tenzing N. wrote:
    I know its been discussed before but after watching several episodes tonight I am further reminded of the total failure that is the Sea Shepherd. They obviously lack a safety management system, they have a very, very poor communication system in place and are clearly ill prepared to be doing what they are doing.

I give them credit for operating in the environment they're in and obviously my view may be highly tainted due to the filming and editing of the film crew but even considering this I feel the evidence is there.

If I were any of the benifactors or major donors I would seriously question the entire operation.

What type of training do the volunteers recieve?
    Is there a thourough safety management system in place?
    Is there a culture of risk management and loss prevention?

Sorry whales- your protectors are in need of protection from themselves.

Their intentions were good, but unfortunately intentions don't count for much...just ask W.
  • A law should be written, backed up by god so nobody could argue it, and have every whaler who kills a mother while the calf is present taken into a field with their children and shot in front of them, and see how far whaling gets after that.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

Then you need to make sure that Orca Whales abide by this law also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELm8yRxAK9o

They kill other whales for fun.
    Gosh I'm really sorry.
    I have adopted 44 whales since 1993. All Humpbacks. I buy all their albums.
    We lost track ... no emails , texts, or phone calls. (I think they are rude or have been killed)

Whales ? What is going on?
    Sorry , I really like whales......

That show was horrid and gross.
    edited September 2020
    The subject of saving whales came up elsewhere and I looked to see what we had here in the way of whale thread and this is all I found.  I find the original post amusing considering Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is alive and well and stronger than ever in it's work to preserve marine wildlife. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    The subject of saving whales came up elsewhere and I looked to see what we had here in the way of whale thread and this is all I found.  I find the original post amusing considering Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is alive and well and stronger than ever in it's work to preserve marine wildlife. 

They seem to be getting better boats now!
    brianlux said:

They seem to be getting better boats now!

They are!  And when I win the lottery, they're going to get one hell of a kick-ass boat!