Can Dictatorship/Authoritarianism Happen in the US?

Comments

• We very well may be on the way

Remember Dec 2015?

Everyone was saying " Don't forget this is not normal , do not normalize this person " , we have become so numb to this man's actions , the GOP is nothing but cowards who refuse to stand up for what they believe in.

In this day and age it is so easy to see footage from 2015 , every GOP member pretty much hated him , said he was a racist , sexist monster who had no place in politics let along the white house. Now Ted Cruz is fighting for him , wondering if he remembers when Trump said that Ted Cruz's father may have been the second shooter for JFK just before the Texas primary.

I feel this country could barley take the past four years , if reelection is won I do fear we will start to go down the path of " we should change the rules to more than two terms , because they used to "

I also fear him losing the election and not accepting the results , or differing the election because well he can pretty much do whatever he wants or at least that is the message the GOP and his supports give him everyday.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    We very well may be on the way
    Matts3221 said:

Remember Dec 2015?

Everyone was saying " Don't forget this is not normal , do not normalize this person " , we have become so numb to this man's actions , the GOP is nothing but cowards who refuse to stand up for what they believe in.

In this day and age it is so easy to see footage from 2015 , every GOP member pretty much hated him , said he was a racist , sexist monster who had no place in politics let along the white house. Now Ted Cruz is fighting for him , wondering if he remembers when Trump said that Ted Cruz's father may have been the second shooter for JFK just before the Texas primary.

I feel this country could barley take the past four years , if reelection is won I do fear we will start to go down the path of " we should change the rules to more than two terms , because they used to "

I also fear him losing the election and not accepting the results , or differing the election because well he can pretty much do whatever he wants or at least that is the message the GOP and his supports give him everyday.

if (god help us all and hopefully it's actually 'when') he loses there is no way he isn't claiming it was rigged. no way right off the bat is he accepting the results. it's going to be Bush-Gore all over again the courts will be the deciding factor. and they will side with the election results but i agree it could get real ugly
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Justice Department undercuts own prosecutors on Trump ally Stone's sentencing

The revised sentencing memorandum, which is expected to be filed in Washington federal court later Tuesday, comes hours after President Donald Trump publicly criticized the recommendation, and the move will again raise questions about the Justice Department's independence from political pressure.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/politics/roger-stone-sentencing-justice-department/index.html

Banana republic.
  • dignin said:

The revised sentencing memorandum, which is expected to be filed in Washington federal court later Tuesday, comes hours after President Donald Trump publicly criticized the recommendation, and the move will again raise questions about the Justice Department's independence from political pressure.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/politics/roger-stone-sentencing-justice-department/index.html

Banana republic.
    Rotten banana republic.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    dignin said:

Banana republic.
    Rotten banana republic.
    Barrana republic?
  • We very well may be on the way
    pjhawks said:
    Matts3221 said:

Remember Dec 2015?

if (god help us all and hopefully it's actually 'when') he loses there is no way he isn't claiming it was rigged. no way right off the bat is he accepting the results. it's going to be Bush-Gore all over again the courts will be the deciding factor. and they will side with the election results but i agree it could get real ugly

I keep telling my wife , even if he loses it is going to be so ugly , I hate to say it but come October and how much Trump will lash out at everyone and everything is scary to me.

I truly hope this is his only term but I just don't know , again fraud election , stolen from me , executive order  , get supreme court involved. With our luck it will be Florida again. If any thinks Rick Scott would not fuck us all over to get him back in office. It really will be Bush V Gore again.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Anything's possible, but not time to worry
    Matts3221 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Matts3221 said:

Remember Dec 2015?

I keep telling my wife , even if he loses it is going to be so ugly , I hate to say it but come October and how much Trump will lash out at everyone and everything is scary to me.

I truly hope this is his only term but I just don't know , again fraud election , stolen from me , executive order  , get supreme court involved. With our luck it will be Florida again. If any thinks Rick Scott would not fuck us all over to get him back in office. It really will be Bush V Gore again.

and a conservative stacked SCOTUS
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    dignin said:

Banana republic.
    Rotten banana republic.

A sad day to be an American.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    dignin said:

Banana republic.
    Rotten banana republic.
    did someone say banana hammock?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dignin said:

Banana republic.
    Rotten banana republic.
    did someone say banana hammock?
    I only shop at Structure. 
  • No way
    Come on now. People dwell on fear of the improbable enough already. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited August 2020
    So let's see, since this petered out we've seen the dismantling of the US Post Office and now Trump is going to send law "enforcement" to protect polling places from "fraud."

Anyone want to change their answer here?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    So let's see, since this petered out we've seen the dismantling of the US Post Office and now Trump is going to send law "enforcement" to protect polling places from "fraud."

Mine remains the same. Of course.
    OnWis97 said:

he has no authority to do so. just because he wants to be a dictator, doesn't mean he's able. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Dictators have not, historically, tended to play by the existing rules. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited August 2020
    OnWis97 said:

The Constitution has always been fragile.  It depends completely on the commitment to it by the citizens, the elected gov't and the military.  Loss of trust in the institutions by any of those three entity could lead to collapse and potentially an authoritarian figure.  Trump on his own could never achieve such an end.  Nor could Trump plus his voters.  The reality is, like it is in every other country, the fate of the democracy rests in the military truly believing and honoring its oath to the Constitution.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

The Constitution has always been fragile.  It depends completely on the commitment to it by the citizens, the elected gov't and the military.  Loss of trust in the institutions by any of those three entity could lead to collapse and potentially an authoritarian figure.  Trump on his own could never achieve such an end.  Nor could Trump plus his voters.  The reality is, like it is in every other country, the fate of the democracy rests in the military truly believing and honoring its oath to the Constitution.  

I agree it isn't about one factor, i.e. his desire for this, or even his desire plus support of his inner circle, but several factors falling into place. I don't entirely rule it out, though. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I agree it isn't about one factor, i.e. his desire for this, or even his desire plus support of his inner circle, but several factors falling into place. I don't entirely rule it out, though. 
    Definitely can't rule it out. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    No way
    The US has been an authoritarian...how many people are sitting in US jails on trumped up charges, are serving sentences that are excessive and trumped up cannabis charges...jeesh.  Your country doesn’t think twice about wrongfully stealing peoples freedom... from 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I'm very aware that the President cannot consider himself a dictator and then it's done. I knew before he was elected that he imagined himself being a dictator; not so much for the reasons we're seeing now but because he'd spent his entire life around yes-men and he did not understand the office.  But I believed that the Constitution, societal norms, the public, and checks-and-balances would have us covered. I was wrong.  The Constitution prepared for Trump, but it did not prepare for an entire party to step aside and let him become a dictator.  I suppose after what Moscow Mitch did to Obama's SCOTUS appointment, I shouldn't have been so naive.  I also didn't realize the unprecedented level of devotion...

Now?  We have a president projecting (as the right tends to do these days) about cheating. His donor is making it more difficult to vote and now he's going to have law enforcement stop people from voting (at least, that's what it looks like). Will they do that for him?  Probably. Cops love the Don.  Hell, cops in Ohio arrested Stormy Daniels for no reason a few years ago; one of our early slices of fascism.  It only takes a few of them in a few states. I don't think you'll see much activity in New York, Wyoming, Texas, California, etc.  Minnesota?  Wisconsin? Pennsylvania? Yeah.  Meanwhile, all of his devotees will #backtheblue and either talk themselves into thinking the re-election was clean or they won't even care.

The point about the military will probably be moot.  They're not needed to help Trump win the election the way he wants to win it. It becomes an interesting point if Biden wins and Trump tries to stay in office. He'd be the Commander in Chief but I'd like to think military leadership would understand the gravity of the situation and protect the Republic, even if they do prefer Trump to Biden. But who even knows any more?
    OnWis97 said:
    I'm very aware that the President cannot consider himself a dictator and then it's done. I knew before he was elected that he imagined himself being a dictator; not so much for the reasons we're seeing now but because he'd spent his entire life around yes-men and he did not understand the office.  But I believed that the Constitution, societal norms, the public, and checks-and-balances would have us covered. I was wrong.  The Constitution prepared for Trump, but it did not prepare for an entire party to step aside and let him become a dictator.  I suppose after what Moscow Mitch did to Obama's SCOTUS appointment, I shouldn't have been so naive.  I also didn't realize the unprecedented level of devotion...

Now?  We have a president projecting (as the right tends to do these days) about cheating. His donor is making it more difficult to vote and now he's going to have law enforcement stop people from voting (at least, that's what it looks like). Will they do that for him?  Probably. Cops love the Don.  Hell, cops in Ohio arrested Stormy Daniels for no reason a few years ago; one of our early slices of fascism.  It only takes a few of them in a few states. I don't think you'll see much activity in New York, Wyoming, Texas, California, etc.  Minnesota?  Wisconsin? Pennsylvania? Yeah.  Meanwhile, all of his devotees will #backtheblue and either talk themselves into thinking the re-election was clean or they won't even care.

The point about the military will probably be moot.  They're not needed to help Trump win the election the way he wants to win it. It becomes an interesting point if Biden wins and Trump tries to stay in office. He'd be the Commander in Chief but I'd like to think military leadership would understand the gravity of the situation and protect the Republic, even if they do prefer Trump to Biden. But who even knows any more?
    In the scenario you're scoping out, I'm not thinking about Trump winning the election illegally, I'm thinking about him losing the election and refusing to leave for a variety of a reasons/excuses. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    No way
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

In the scenario you're scoping out, I'm not thinking about Trump winning the election illegally, I'm thinking about him losing the election and refusing to leave for a variety of a reasons/excuses. 
    I can’t believe people actually think this. He’d be dragged out of the White House in handcuffs by the secret service or federal agents if he refused to leave on Inauguration Day. Frankly, they’d probably love to do it. These are people that have dedicated their lives to government work. They’re not going to take orders from some gameshow host any longer than the law obligates them to. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

I can’t believe people actually think this. He’d be dragged out of the White House in handcuffs by the secret service or federal agents if he refused to leave on Inauguration Day. Frankly, they’d probably love to do it. These are people that have dedicated their lives to government work. They’re not going to take orders from some gameshow host any longer than the law obligates them to. 
    One would hope not.  But don't underestimate what Trump offers to the leaders in return for fealty.  I'm not saying it's going to happen nor is it probable. I'm saying I believe he will do whatever he can to not lose.
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

In the scenario of him losing, it gets messy and I really hope we can just get him out and move on.  Barr is an absolute evil genius...hopefully he’ll focus on saving Trump’s ass with the SDNY as opposed to working on getting him inaugurated.

It’s a Trump win where I think it’s over for the America we know, particularly if Moscow Mitch wins and the GQP retains the Senate. Also, the win will come with blatant cheating that the GQP will look the other way on.  We’re looking at a one-party system.
    Dictators have not, historically, tended to play by the existing rules. 
    i'm quite aware, changing the constitution is pretty damn difficult. no way it happens. it just won't. 

all of the other shit that people are up in arms about (including myself) "he can't do that, can he?", depends on the senate and their willingness to hold him to account or not. getting on the ballot a 3rd time would require an amendment, which you obviously know. 

this isn't the same as his executive orders to stop travel from islamic countries (which also ultimately failed). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2020
    if he loses he'll probably file with the courts to overturn, which will get shot down. 

i'm not saying he won't try. he will. he'll whine and cry all the way from nov 3 to jan 20. and there might even be blood spilled. but he won't stay in office if he loses. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited August 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:

One would hope not.  But don't underestimate what Trump offers to the leaders in return for fealty.  I'm not saying it's going to happen nor is it probable. I'm saying I believe he will do whatever he can to not lose.
    I think the Republican leaders fear Trump and that is why he gets their devotion.  They don’t get anything from him other than he doesn’t attack them.  Once he is out of office the Lindsay Graham’s of the party will be thrilled he is gone and they don’t have to deal with his hold over the base.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    Anybody wanna change their vote?  I'm sitting on mine, but I think I might be bumping it "up" before December 14.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    OnWis97 said:
    Anybody wanna change their vote?  I'm sitting on mine, but I think I might be bumping it "up" before December 14.
    I bet most would change specially with what’s happened over the last two weeks! I wonder what Vegas odds are that the Covidiot doesn’t leave on 1/21?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....