The Golf Thread

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Is there any reason why golf people pronounce the T in “amateur” more pronounced than other people? Am I crazy?
    A bunch of fancy pants. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Playing a new course for me tomorrow.  Exciting.  Doesn’t happen too often unless I am traveling.  

Golf game is improving.  Averaging 89 this year in 18 rounds.  I have been tracking greens in reg and fairways hit along with total putts.  I like that some rounds I may hit 3 fairways and one green but still find a way to break 90.  Means the approach shots are just a little off and I am scrambling well.  Avoiding the big blow up holes.  Not losing my temper has been key.   Some terrible drives have still led to pars because I didn’t get pissed and screw up my second shot.
    I think we're about on the same level. Do you know what your handicap is? I'm sitting at a 19.2 right now but my next two rounds will eliminate a 108 and a 102. Just a dreadful stretch right after quarantine ended. Playing later today too. Kind of a difficult links style course near me.

Best of luck!
    My handicap is a 14.6 right now but has slowly been increasing.  Shot a 95 today.  Really liked the course. Very hilly for relatively flat central Indiana.  Drove the ball really well but irons let me down.  The greens are fast and tough to get the ball close to the hole with pitches and chip shots.  So much fun.  Will head out tonight for another 18!   I need to practice more on the course. 
    No better way imo. I get so much more out of practicing real golf shots on the course than I do banging balls at the range. The best practice for me is a twilight round with no one behind me. If I want to practice a shot, drop another ball and hit it again. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Why does golf do anything it does?
    Is it always this windy there?
    All they show is the 12th on this broadcast 
    I know the conditions are rough but if this is any indication of the future, the sport is in for some slow golf 

Clearly just started watching the Am
    This Gupta kid is the slowest golfer I have ever seen 
    I hate that putter but haggestad is good. 
    I’d shoot a 9,000 on this course 
    I’m pulling a norm McDonald 

these kids can putt 
    “Incoming freshman”...wtf 
    These are the most ridiculous shots you’ll ever see 
    Haggestad on 18, down 1, needs it to have a chance to go to the us open and smokes it 
    Driver off the deck in the us am to go to the us open!!!!!!!!!!
    Ahhhhh
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Gupta has awoken from his slumber!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Just putting it on. Get to see the front today.
    I can’t stand this Gupta kid 
    They both barely made it to the 18th hole. Some bad golf out there yesterday 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I shot a 78 yesterday. My lowest score ever and 2nd time in my life breaking 80. I actually made putts. A rarity for me. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I didn’t make it up. Put it on dvr and fell asleep shortly after that Gupta kid pulled that stunt standing behind him. 
    I shot a 78 yesterday. My lowest score ever and 2nd time in my life breaking 80. I actually made putts. A rarity for me. 
    Nice! Where at?

My lowest is 83. One of these days I’ll put it all together and break 80
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I didn’t make it up. Put it on dvr and fell asleep shortly after that Gupta kid pulled that stunt standing behind him. 
    I’m not sure what you’re talking about. He was slow as hell though, that’s for sure. Both were awful down the stretch
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited August 2020
    I’m not sure what you’re talking about. He was slow as hell though, that’s for sure. Both were awful down the stretch
    He’s sooooo slow. He like stood behind the fauci kid while he was putting. His dad like walked backwards into him then the kid had to ask him to move. That then combined with his slow play. Beat it.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Playing a new course for me tomorrow.  Exciting.  Doesn’t happen too often unless I am traveling.  

Golf game is improving.  Averaging 89 this year in 18 rounds.  I have been tracking greens in reg and fairways hit along with total putts.  I like that some rounds I may hit 3 fairways and one green but still find a way to break 90.  Means the approach shots are just a little off and I am scrambling well.  Avoiding the big blow up holes.  Not losing my temper has been key.   Some terrible drives have still led to pars because I didn’t get pissed and screw up my second shot.
    I think we're about on the same level. Do you know what your handicap is? I'm sitting at a 19.2 right now but my next two rounds will eliminate a 108 and a 102. Just a dreadful stretch right after quarantine ended. Playing later today too. Kind of a difficult links style course near me.

Best of luck!
    My handicap is a 14.6 right now but has slowly been increasing.  Shot a 95 today.  Really liked the course. Very hilly for relatively flat central Indiana.  Drove the ball really well but irons let me down.  The greens are fast and tough to get the ball close to the hole with pitches and chip shots.  So much fun.  Will head out tonight for another 18!   I need to practice more on the course. 
    Another 18? Look at you!

I shot an 87 today. My handicap app says it was my best round out of my last twenty. Tough course. Dipped me to an 18.3. I’m gaining on ya!
    Nice!  Lowering that handicap!  

It would be cool to get a group to follow PJ on tour and play golf together during the day.   
    Awesome! I shot a 79 this morning for the first time breaking 80.  Some good golf lately by the group on here.   Got our games together late in summer.   

Started off 6 over through 5 and then played the next six holes 3 under with a hole out from 120 for eagle and a birdie.   Needed to go 2 over the last four holes and had three pars in a row and doubled 18.   Five fairways and five greens.  Didn’t make it easy on myself.
    I have dreamed about playing Bandon but not so sure I would have much fun there after seeing how windy it is and how if you hit it a foot from perfect you end up 20 yards from the green.
    I have dreamed about playing Bandon but not so sure I would have much fun there after seeing how windy it is and how if you hit it a foot from perfect you end up 20 yards from the green.
    Yeah, I don't love how a lot of what look to be good shots aren't rewarded and are actually punished. I guess you could say they're not good shots then, but something that lands in the middle of the fairwary probably shouldn't end up where some of these shots are ending up.  Same with the greens.

There was one shot, the green had to be 15 feet plus above the guys head. The green was a severe front to back slope. He was pin high and the pin couldn't have been more than 10 feet from the front. Basically an impossible shot

Beautiful course.  For a different league of golfer than myself
    Yeah, I don't love how a lot of what look to be good shots aren't rewarded and are actually punished. I guess you could say they're not good shots then, but something that lands in the middle of the fairwary probably shouldn't end up where some of these shots are ending up.  Same with the greens.

There was one shot, the green had to be 15 feet plus above the guys head. The green was a severe front to back slope. He was pin high and the pin couldn't have been more than 10 feet from the front. Basically an impossible shot

Beautiful course.  For a different league of golfer than myself
    Well, if we hit from the appropriate tees that will make things a little easier.