Knock-off vinyl LP labels you might want to avoid.

2»

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2020
    LukinFan said:
    DewieCox said:
    Not knockoffs, but  Music On Vinyl stuff has a huge discrepancy between the quality of the vinyl and quality of the packaging. For the cost, both should be top shelf. 
    I had bought an MTV unplugged Alice in Chains MOV vinyl a couple years back, and it skipped a lot. I sent back that copy, got another one, and it did the same. I'm been afraid to try them again. 
    My MOV copy of AIC Unplugged is awesome. One of the better sounding records in my collection.  No skips. 

In fact, most of my MOV Reissues are great. Some of the great sounding reissues I own are:
    Swervedriver - Mezcal Head
    Swervedriver - Raise
    Type-O-Negative - Bloody Kisses
    Therapy? - Nurse
    Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

I’m sure I have more but those immediately come to mind. When I see a MOV pressing, I buy with confidence. 

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    LukinFan said:
    DewieCox said:
    Not knockoffs, but  Music On Vinyl stuff has a huge discrepancy between the quality of the vinyl and quality of the packaging. For the cost, both should be top shelf. 
    I had bought an MTV unplugged Alice in Chains MOV vinyl a couple years back, and it skipped a lot. I sent back that copy, got another one, and it did the same. I'm been afraid to try them again. hi-res 
    My MOV copy of AIC Unplugged is awesome. One of the better sounding records in my collection.  No skips. 

In fact, most of my MOV Reissues are great. Some of the great sounding reissues I own are:
    Swervedriver - Raise
    Therapy? - Nurse

I’m sure I have more but those immediately come to mind. When I see a MOV pressing, I buy with confidence. 

Most of my MOV slabs have been great, but most of the jackets for those same slabs have what appear to be scanned low-res images for covers. Since MOV stands for music on vinyl and not hi-res imagery on cardboard, I'm OK with making stopgap purchases through them. Hopefully, something better comes along; if not, I still have a great-sounding record in a jacket that looks like someone took a cellphone photo of the original artwork and pasted it there.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    My complaint is that they are flimsy and $40-50.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    LukinFan said:
    DewieCox said:
    I had bought an MTV unplugged Alice in Chains MOV vinyl a couple years back, and it skipped a lot. I sent back that copy, got another one, and it did the same. I'm been afraid to try them again. 

Swervedriver - Raise
    Therapy? - Nurse

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll give it another chance. When you get back to back albums and they both skip at the same point, you become weary. It's a killer live album that I'd love to own. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Is the AIC release gatefold or two discs tucked into the same slot.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DewieCox said:
    Sounds like this fit MONDO and their stuff. Their Twin Peaks release is suppose to sound terrible.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Is the AIC release gatefold or two discs tucked into the same slot.

Gatefold. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2020
    DewieCox said:
    My complaint is that they are flimsy and $40-50.
    Well I geek right out and place the sleeves in a sealed cover with a disc pocket.  The wax goes in the MoFi sleeves with any inserts in the disc pocket so I never really handle the sleeve.  They could do a better job of packaging I will agree, but I’m more concerned about the sound and quality of the record. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    My MOV AIC Unplugged is the single jacket/non gatefold type. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    dankind said:
    LukinFan said:
    DewieCox said:
    I had bought an MTV unplugged Alice in Chains MOV vinyl a couple years back, and it skipped a lot. I sent back that copy, got another one, and it did the same. I'm been afraid to try them again. hi-res 

Swervedriver - Raise
    Therapy? - Nurse

Most of my MOV slabs have been great, but most of the jackets for those same slabs have what appear to be scanned low-res images for covers. Since MOV stands for music on vinyl and not hi-res imagery on cardboard, I'm OK with making stopgap purchases through them. Hopefully, something better comes along; if not, I still have a great-sounding record in a jacket that looks like someone took a cellphone photo of the original artwork and pasted it there.

"slabs"  LOL- that's a new one on me! 
    "not hi-res imagery on cardboard"  Your on a role!  :plus_one:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    DewieCox said:
    My MOV AIC Unplugged is the single jacket/non gatefold type. 
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the two I had a couple years back where not gatefold either. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    No gatefold for AIC on MOV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    monkeywrench records. beware......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    monkeywrench records. beware......

Somebody been messin' with 'em?
    THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG MOVIE Forty years laterby Jim Stiles

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• So there is a gatefold and a non gatefold release?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    edited August 2020
    So there is a gatefold and a non gatefold release?
    no. 2lp NON-gatefold cover

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    brianlux said:

Are you a The Baseball Project fan?  If not, you might enjoy some of their records-  they made 4 records on one live on FLAC/MP3.  Unfortunately,   most of them are hard to find/ very pricey on vinyl.  Peter Buck and Mike Mills are in that side-project band.  Nothing earth chattering, but some fine music there.

i do like the baseball project, and feel lucky they always seem to play the twin cities on their tours. getting to see mike and peter in small rooms is just really cool.
    AndySlash said:
    brianlux said:

Are you a The Baseball Project fan?  If not, you might enjoy some of their records-  they made 4 records on one live on FLAC/MP3.  Unfortunately,   most of them are hard to find/ very pricey on vinyl.  Peter Buck and Mike Mills are in that side-project band.  Nothing earth chattering, but some fine music there.

i do like the baseball project, and feel lucky they always seem to play the twin cities on their tours. getting to see mike and peter in small rooms is just really cool.

Oh man, very cool.  That would be amazing!  I hope I get the chance to do that someday.