The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    How can you complain about that tee shot 
    Great shot.   I just think it shouldn’t be so close to the last few holes.  To me there is an element of luck on a driveable par 4 with a shot of that distance.

Morikawa is awesome though.  Glad he won.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    In all fairness, outside of 17, he didn’t have to putt 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    This is a very bad loss for DJ’s career 
    Hard to find others that have his talent, but for whatever reason he can’t consistently close the deal. 

We may be witnessing a star in the making. Kid seems legit. Good for him! 
    Justin Leonard is horrible and has destroyed live from. 
    Agreed. He’s the worst 
    Where’s frank nobilo? 
    bbiggs said:
    This is a very bad loss for DJ’s career 
    Hard to find others that have his talent, but for whatever reason he can’t consistently close the deal. 

We may be witnessing a star in the making. Kid seems legit. Good for him! 

Only his second major.  Crazy. 
    bbiggs said:
    Where’s frank nobilo? 
    That’s what I meant to add. I thought he took some job but I haven’t seen him that I can remember 
    That shot on 16 was all time 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Nobilo was on the course all day with Dottie Pepper
    bflynn1 said:
    Nobilo was on the course all day with Dottie Pepper
    why not on live from anymore though?  nobilo > leonard.  hope it's not permanent.

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    I got to Whistling Straits on Sat for the first time.  Carried my own bag for 36.  What a day!  Some strong Ireland vibes.

I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    edited August 2020
    ddeschler said:
    I got to Whistling Straits on Sat for the first time.  Carried my own bag for 36.  What a day!  Some strong Ireland vibes.

Awesome!   Are you playing any other courses around there?  Looking into a buddies trip there next July.

36 carrying your own bag.  I would have begged for a push cart.  How did you shoot?
    Awesome! Course looks great and love the wild sheep. Definitely going to get there sometime and play both WS and Blackwolf Run. It’s a sin that I haven’t made it there considering how close it is. Could you have gotten a caddie or did you just prefer to carry your own bag? Must have been an awesome experience. 
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    They have a ton of caddies.  Usually they are mandatory on the Straits course, but not this year due to covid.  I played the Irish course first, then got the replay rate for the Straits course, which saved substantial cash.  The Bull at Pinehurst Farms is another great course in the area that I would recommend, designed by Jack Nicklaus, very close to Blackwolf Run.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Caught some of the US Amateur last night from Bandon Dunes.  Holy shit that place is beautiful....definitely a bucket list trip at some point.  Looking forward to watching that the next few days.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    what happened to charly hoffman? wasn't he contending in everything a year or two ago?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Caught some of the US Amateur last night from Bandon Dunes.  Holy shit that place is beautiful....definitely a bucket list trip at some point.  Looking forward to watching that the next few days.
    Yeah this is awesome 
    This Am is awesome. My only complaint is that with the short window of coverage, we are seeing a lot of the same holes.
    HOLY SHIT, CADDIE!!! NOOOOOOOOO. 

I have never seen anything like it!
    edited August 2020
    That is absolutely wild. Feel terrible for the kid. Good god.

A local caddie at that! AHHHH. Oh my god
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Insane.  Wow.
    Apparently a first year caddie and the same dude that had that somewhat viral celebration yesterday. Feel terrible for him, clearly emotions and all got ahead of him. Not a great look though for bandon either. They can’t be thrilled about it 

Especially after the fauci (know that’s not his name but it sounds like it and I don’t know what his name is), opened the door for him with that poor 3rd shot 
    Just odd.  I have never once thought of touching the sand with my hand.  Would be a waste of time anyway as you don’t hit the ball with your hand.  Wouldn’t get any sense of feel like if you used your club.  
    Playing a new course for me tomorrow.  Exciting.  Doesn’t happen too often unless I am traveling.  

Golf game is improving.  Averaging 89 this year in 18 rounds.  I have been tracking greens in reg and fairways hit along with total putts.  I like that some rounds I may hit 3 fairways and one green but still find a way to break 90.  Means the approach shots are just a little off and I am scrambling well.  Avoiding the big blow up holes.  Not losing my temper has been key.   Some terrible drives have still led to pars because I didn’t get pissed and screw up my second shot.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Playing a new course for me tomorrow.  Exciting.  Doesn’t happen too often unless I am traveling.  

Golf game is improving.  Averaging 89 this year in 18 rounds.  I have been tracking greens in reg and fairways hit along with total putts.  I like that some rounds I may hit 3 fairways and one green but still find a way to break 90.  Means the approach shots are just a little off and I am scrambling well.  Avoiding the big blow up holes.  Not losing my temper has been key.   Some terrible drives have still led to pars because I didn’t get pissed and screw up my second shot.
    I think we're about on the same level. Do you know what your handicap is? I'm sitting at a 19.2 right now but my next two rounds will eliminate a 108 and a 102. Just a dreadful stretch right after quarantine ended. Playing later today too. Kind of a difficult links style course near me.

Best of luck!
    chinese-happy.jpg

I think we're about on the same level. Do you know what your handicap is? I'm sitting at a 19.2 right now but my next two rounds will eliminate a 108 and a 102. Just a dreadful stretch right after quarantine ended. Playing later today too. Kind of a difficult links style course near me.

Best of luck!
    My handicap is a 14.6 right now but has slowly been increasing.  Shot a 95 today.  Really liked the course. Very hilly for relatively flat central Indiana.  Drove the ball really well but irons let me down.  The greens are fast and tough to get the ball close to the hole with pitches and chip shots.  So much fun.  Will head out tonight for another 18!   I need to practice more on the course. 

Best of luck!
    My handicap is a 14.6 right now but has slowly been increasing.  Shot a 95 today.  Really liked the course. Very hilly for relatively flat central Indiana.  Drove the ball really well but irons let me down.  The greens are fast and tough to get the ball close to the hole with pitches and chip shots.  So much fun.  Will head out tonight for another 18!   I need to practice more on the course. 
    Another 18? Look at you!

I shot an 87 today. My handicap app says it was my best round out of my last twenty. Tough course. Dipped me to an 18.3. I’m gaining on ya!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Is there any reason why golf people pronounce the T in “amateur” more pronounced than other people? Am I crazy?
    chinese-happy.jpg