Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    edited July 2020
    pjl44 said:
    Also, question for both of you: Is that a lump sum of money or will you be guaranteed a percentage of your salary as annual income for life?
    Percent of your salary for life. It was a percent of your 3 highest paid years averaged, now I think it’s average of 5 highest. And it was like 3% per year, now I think it’s 2.4.
    so if you teach 30 years you get 72% of your last 5 years averaged.
    its a gamble, if you live until you’re 90 years old then you did well. If you get cancer and die at 65, your family missed out on an inheritance.

And I believe that percent is locked in. Those who were hired 15 years ago are getting that 3% per year. Those hired more recently are only getting 2.4% per year, even though they will have put in far more over the course of their career. It’s pretty jacked.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Also, question for both of you: Is that a lump sum of money or will you be guaranteed a percentage of your salary as annual income for life?
    Percent of your salary for life. It was a percent of your 3 highest paid years averaged, now I think it’s average of 5 highest. And it was like 3% per year, now I think it’s 2.4.
    so if you teach 30 years you get 72% of your last 5 years averaged.
    its a gamble, if you live until you’re 90 years old then you did well. If you get cancer and die at 65, your family missed out on an inheritance.

And I believe that percent is locked in. Those who were hired 15 years ago are getting that 3% per year. Those hired more recently are only getting 2.4% per year, even though they will have put in far more over the course of their career. It’s pretty jacked.
    Thanks. That's really interesting. So many more questions but I've derailed the thread enough.
  • Options
    Pew researched public opinions on policing from all sorts of different angles. A lot of interesting results no matter where you stand on the issues. There really is something for everyone.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/07/09/majority-of-public-favors-giving-civilians-the-power-to-sue-police-officers-for-misconduct/
  • Options
    I forget which thread we were discussing antifa in but I was arguing against the idea that "against fascism is right in their name so they're good." My point was that I don't trust a vigilante's ability to correctly identify Nazis/fascists. This is an example of that.

https://wjla.com/news/local/former-fairfax-cop-murdered-wisconsin-hate-crime
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    pjl44 said:
    I forget which thread we were discussing antifa in but I was arguing against the idea that "against fascism is right in their name so they're good." My point was that I don't trust a vigilante's ability to correctly identify Nazis/fascists. This is an example of that.

https://wjla.com/news/local/former-fairfax-cop-murdered-wisconsin-hate-crime
    I actually know someone in Fond du lac.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    In between lamenting George Washington and censoring Golden Girls episodes, I'm hoping we might be able to see some police reform
    I guess we can add weird celebrity antisemitism to the list of things we got before meaningful police reform 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    In between lamenting George Washington and censoring Golden Girls episodes, I'm hoping we might be able to see some police reform
    I guess we can add weird celebrity antisemitism to the list of things we got before meaningful police reform 
    🤦‍♂️
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    edited July 2020
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/troubling-video-appears-show-oklahoma-police-zap-man/story?id=71783344

Troubling video appears to show Oklahoma police zap man dozens of times before death

Officers Joshua Taylor and Brandon Dingman have been charged with murder.

"Axon/Taser warns against simultaneous exposure and cumulative exposure exceeding 15 seconds," Terrill said. "Jared was Tased for approximately four minutes of cumulative exposure."

Terrill said Lakey was shocked 53 total times by Taylor and Dingman and placed in a chokehold by an unidentified backup officer for 40 seconds.

Lakey stopped breathing, became unresponsive, began breathing again and was taken to the hospital, according to the OSBI.

"No officers initiated any life-sustaining measures for over 3 1/2 minutes after determining he wasn't breathing," Terrill said.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Ha!

no, was one of those “response to past post, never sent, but saved as a draft for some reason, which I have since forgotten as to why I attempted to post in the first place, then accidentally posted as comment, when the actual intention was to hit the back button” thingy’s
    Post edited by ed243421 on
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ed243421 said:
    Ha!

no, was one of those “response to past post, never sent, but saved as a draft for some reason, which I have since forgotten as to why I attempted to post in the first place, then accidentally posted as comment, when the actual intention was to hit the back button” thingy’s
    In other words ...

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    ed243421 said:
    Ha!

Shit well congrats on an unintentionally strong joke

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Amazing these cops dont realize they are under heavy scrutiny and cameras constantly..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    cutz said:
    I'll bite.

Was the person asked to put his hands behind his back multiple times?  If so and he doesn't comply, what do you do next?

My guess is this.

If that is how this scenario played out then I am ok with it.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    cutz said:
    Damn, I hope to hell he's been fired. Please tell Hess been fired that was brutal. 

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Pathetic, but at least it looked and sounded like he knew he fucked up. Maybe a bully and not worthy of the job but that’s more awareness than a bunch of these clowns show. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Comply or die! 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    https://fox4kc.com/news/fatal-shooting-of-hannah-fizer-by-pettis-county-deputy-caught-on-camera-according-to-search-warrant/

Pettis County deputy shooting Hannah Fizer caught on business camera, search warrant says

SEDALIA, Mo. — The fatal shooting of Hannah Fizer by a Pettis County sheriff’s deputy was caught on camera, according to a search warrant filed in the case.Fizer was shot and killed during a June 13 traffic stop in Sedalia. Her death has led to several protests in the town, which sits about 90 miles east of Kansas City.According to a search warrant filed by the Missouri State Highway Patrol, a Pettis County deputy pulled Fizer over around 10 p.m. near the 3500 block of West Broadway Boulevard in Sedalia.The deputy advised that Fizer’s vehicle was slow to stop and that Fizer refused to identify herself when the deputy questioned her.The deputy also told investigators that Fizer said she was recording the stop and that she said she had a firearm and was going to shoot the deputy.Six minutes into the encounter, the deputy fired into the car, striking Fizer several times. She was pronounced dead at the scene.Five spent shell casings were recovered from the scene and a cell phone was taken for investigation from the passenger side floor board of Fizer ‘s vehicle, according to court documents.The cell phone was sent to the state’s digital forensic center in Jefferson City for examination.The entire incident was captured on surveillance video from a nearby restaurant’s security camera.The recording appears to show the deputy making contact with Fizer before drawing a weapon and shooting into the vehicle. Fizer can be seen moving inside the vehicle before the shooting, according to the search warrant.A gun was never recovered from Fizer’s body or her vehicle. The stop was not captured on dash camera footage and the Pettis County Sheriff’s Department does not equip deputies with body cameras.Fizer’s friends and family have long doubted that she would have been a threat and have called for justice in her killing.“Hannah would not threaten a cop like that. It just wasn’t in her behavior. I knew there had to be more to the story than what was being told,” said family friend Laura Cooper.Fizer’s autopsy is being conducted in Columbia, Missouri. The coroner said results won’t be back for approximately 90 days, and they do not anticipate any preliminary findings would be released before that.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689

Judge: Doctrine shielding police from lawsuits is wrong
    By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS
    2 hours ago

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A federal judge in Mississippi has issued a sharply worded ruling that calls on the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the principle of qualified immunity, which protects law enforcement officers from being sued for some of their actions.

U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves on Tuesday dismissed a lawsuit that Clarence Jamison, a Black resident of Neeses, South Carolina, filed against a white Mississippi police officer, Nick McClendon. The lawsuit said McClendon used Jamison’s race as a “motivating factor” in making the traffic stop.

In dismissing the case, Reeves cited court precedents on qualified immunity, but he wrote that the principle has shielded officers who violate people’s constitutional rights.

“The Constitution says everyone is entitled to equal protection of the law — even at the hands of law enforcement,” Reeves wrote. “Over the decades, however, judges have invented a legal doctrine to protect law enforcement officers from having to face any consequences for wrongdoing. The doctrine is called ‘qualified immunity.’ In real life it operates like absolute immunity.”

Reeves, who is African American, was nominated to the federal bench by President Barack Obama for a district that covers the southern half of Mississippi. Reeves started his Tuesday ruling with a recitation of police harm to African Americans, including the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Rayshard Brooks and Sandra Bland.

“Just as the Supreme Court swept away the mistaken doctrine of ‘separate but equal,’ so too should it eliminate the doctrine of qualified immunity. ... Let us waste no time in righting this wrong,” Reeves wrote.

Jamison's lawsuit, filed in 2016, said he was driving his Mercedes on July 29, 2013, when McClendon pulled him over on Interstate 20 in Pelahatchie, which is about 25 miles (40 kilometers) east of Mississippi's capital city of Jackson.

McClendon was an officer for the nearby town of Richland and was working near Pelahatchie under a local agreement. Jamison was returning to South Carolina from a vacation in the western U.S.

“Jamison was pulled over and subjected to one hundred and ten minutes of an armed police officer badgering him, pressuring him, lying to him, and then searching his car top-to-bottom for drugs,” Reeves wrote. “Nothing was found. Jamison isn’t a drug courier. He’s a welder.”

The lawsuit said Jamison's car was damaged during the searches and he was left by the side of the interstate after dark.

“Thankfully, Jamison left the stop with his life," Reeves wrote. "Too many others have not."

Reeves wrote that the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals — which hears cases from Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia — recently wrote in a qualified immunity case: “'Although we recognize that our police officers are often asked to make split-second decisions, we expect them to do so with respect for the dignity and worth of black lives.'”

“This Court agrees,” Reeves wrote. “Tragically, thousands have died at the hands of law enforcement over the years, and the death toll continues to rise.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    So has anyone seen anything about the cops that detained a Black family of four face down in a parking lot because they mistook the familiy's SUV for a stolen MOTORCYCLE?  Happened in Aurora Co if I'm not mistaken.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    static111 said:
    So has anyone seen anything about the cops that detained a Black family of four face down in a parking lot because they mistook the familiy's SUV for a stolen MOTORCYCLE?  Happened in Aurora Co if I'm not mistaken.
    One of the 4 was 6 years old. Made her lie down because, you know, black 6 year olds are packing. Happens to white people all the time, too.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    That was wrong. The mistaken identity of the car doesn’t seem that unreasonable, it’s not like they were looking for a motorcycle and pulled over a van. They misread the license plate and it came up as stolen.
    But even if it were stolen those kids should never have been placed on the pavement like that. And neither should the adults until they confirm the situation with the car.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    That was wrong. The mistaken identity of the car doesn’t seem that unreasonable, it’s not like they were looking for a motorcycle and pulled over a van. They misread the license plate and it came up as stolen.
    But even if it were stolen those kids should never have been placed on the pavement like that. And neither should the adults until they confirm the situation with the car.
    Not unreasonable that they were looking for a motorcycle and pulled over an African American Family in an SUV? On what planet.  They weren't looking for a stolen license plate they were looking for a stolen motorcycle. JFC the way people will bend over backwards to justify the "official" story is beyond me.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    edited August 2020
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Not unreasonable that they were looking for a motorcycle and pulled over an African American Family in an SUV? On what planet.  They weren't looking for a stolen license plate they were looking for a stolen motorcycle. JFC the way people will bend over backwards to justify the "official" story is beyond me.
    The story I heard on the local news was that it was a license plate reader that scanned the plate and flagged it as stolen based off the plate. But the scanner misread the plate number. That sounds reasonable to me. Which is a pretty small part of the story. How they handled it after that point was not. That’s the bigger deal anyway. Not sure why you’re getting all bent out of shape over a minor portion when I agree what happened afterwards was wrong even if it was a stolen car. I’m not justifying anything. Just corrected a fairly minor detail from what I heard in local news.

Again, I never heard from any news source that they were looking for a stolen motorcycle and pulled over a van because they mistook it for a motorcycle like you described.

I doubt it’s rare or unheard of for plate scanners to make an error. I don’t know what the protocol is for pulling over a car based off a scanned plate. But whatever it is it should be pull the car over and recheck manually before even getting out. Takes a few seconds. If there’s an error appologize and let them go. If it was t and is stolen, still no need to place kids face down on pavement. I agree with that.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
This discussion has been closed.