Fuck Cancer

Comments

• writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    writersu wrote:

We had I real special relationship. During his treatments we would watch a bunch of comedy stuff, and talk for hours. I live on my own, when he was sick I couldn't stand to be that far away for too long.He fought like hell.

I know his dedication to us wasn't all for not. He took great pride in seeing us happy. But I still feel it was his turn to relax, and enjoy life. The small stuff doesn't bother me that much at all anymore.I know what is Important.Your Kids are lucky to have a parent like you.

well, that's all we can do, then, right? do what is still available to us with the people we love while we can and when they are gone, it will hurt like hell; we will still miss them but we will have no regrets as to what we should have done.

one of the things that I did for my dad, (and am grateful that I had the thought to do this) was to treat him no differently than when he was healthy.

I figured that as a man, it had to be hard to be the one people were always asking how you felt and treating you like you were sick when you were use to being the provider and healthy. I don't know what it meant really, but to me, I was glad that I did that.

and thanks for saying that about the parent thing; after all is said and done, if my kids say I loved them like crazy and that even if I screwed up, I never meant to, then it has been a good ride.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    We were notified today that a very good friend died of cancer this morning.  We knew she was sick but had no idea it was that close to the end.  My wife came into the room where I was and I knew right away it was something bad.  She told me what happened and we fell into each others arms in tears. 

Then we hear another very good friend has been diagnosed with malignant melanoma and and is going into surgery soon.

Fucking cancer.  I feel overwhelmed by this shit.  :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I would post something more intelligent Brian, but I'm incredibly intoxicated at the moment. I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss my friend. You know how to reach me if you need to.
    My sister lost her battle with cancer. It's been a long struggle and she was a real fighter, but she's no longer suffering. She always looked out for me and I truly hope she still is some where. 

FUCK CANCER
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    My sister lost her battle with cancer. It's been a long struggle and she was a real fighter, but she's no longer suffering. She always looked out for me and I truly hope she still is some where. 

FUCK CANCER

My condolences to you, WYTM. I hope you are able to have family around you, despite the even more difficult circumstances of loss during the pandemic. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Yeah f*ck cancer, good call! 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

FUCK CANCER
    I am so sorry for the pain all around - your sister’s, yours, your entire family’s. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495

FUCK CANCER
    I’m so sorry to hear this.  My thoughts are with you.  Cancer can suck it.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689

FUCK CANCER
    I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact she is no longer suffering. And please take care of yourself. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

FUCK CANCER
    I am so very sorry. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I am so sorry. Thoughts to you and your family. Fucking cancer
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Thoughts are with you and your family.
    Fuck cancer.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

FUCK CANCER

My condolences to you, WYTM. I hope you are able to have family around you, despite the even more difficult circumstances of loss during the pandemic. 
    Thank you(and everyone else). I've been with the family these last few difficult weeks. There's never any perfect words to sum up such a beautiful life. So I will just say that we all loved her in an immeasurable way. Fuck Cancer.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

FUCK CANCER

Thank you(and everyone else). I've been with the family these last few difficult weeks. There's never any perfect words to sum up such a beautiful life. So I will just say that we all loved her in an immeasurable way. Fuck Cancer.
    Tell us a bit about her when you feel it is right for you.  We'll be here.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169

FUCK CANCER
    So very sorry for your loss. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495

FUCK CANCER

Anytime you need support.  I’ve been through an experience too.  Always feel free to talk about it.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    edited November 2020
    Just found out my 95 year old grandfather's throat cancer is back with a vengeance. He was cancer free for about 8 months but now it's back and apparently there are cells in lymph nodes now as well. I am his and my 97 year old grandmother's full-time caregiver and I'm just heartbroken to get this news.  He had 6 weeks of radiation last year but it sounds like immunotherapy or chemotherapy are the only real options if we choose to fight this time. This is from a news article in Richmond VA last week that featured WWII vets and this portion is dedicated to him-

"Thomas Edward “Tom” Story grew up in the Florida Panhandle and worked at a shipyard in Panama City before being drafted into the Army. He served in the 88th Infantry Division’s 351st Regiment and saw combat as part of the Allied campaigns in Italy near the end of the war. He was there when the fighting ended and helped transfer German prisoners of war back to Germany. Later in the summer of 1945, he was on a ship headed to the Pacific when President Harry S. Truman gave the order to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The ship then turned around and headed home. 

For his service, he received a Bronze Star and Purple Heart. 

After the war, Story made the Army his career for 30 years, reaching the rank of sergeant major. He spent much of that time working in a support role with the U.S. Army Band. 

Now 95, Story survived a bout with throat cancer last year. He lives in Henrico with Beatrice, his wife of 72 years, daughter Lelia Wirt, and grandson and caregiver Paul Wirt. They have three children, five grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. 

“Our family got to know many of the vets from the 88th Infantry Division over the last 20 years through the reunions … but deteriorating health, diminishing numbers of members and COVID have put those wonderful trips in our rear view for the most part,” said Paul Wirt. “We cherish every moment we have with my grandparents and try to learn from them every day.”

https://richmond.com/news/local/world-war-ii-veterans-carry-memories-of-service-75-years-after-the-fighting-ended/article_3634509c-b8e7-5519-8673-b10e5fd63f34.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Richmond_Times-Dispatch

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    We all have to die of something but damn if your. Grandpa does  not seem like he is going to live forever.  Wow.  What a life..  What an amazing man.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Agreed. What a history...and how many he helped. 

I’m sorry you’re all going through this.

Fuck cancer indeed. 
    We all have to die of something but damn if your. Grandpa does  not seem like he is going to live forever.  Wow.  What a life..  What an amazing man.

Thanks. The best moments of my day are when I look over at him after my grandmother says something funny and he smiles at me as if to say "yeah, she really is crazy but I think I'll keep her." Little moments like those are priceless. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    hedonist said:
    Agreed. What a history...and how many he helped. 

I’m sorry you’re all going through this.

Fuck cancer indeed. 
    Thanks. Yes he has helped so many people throughout his life it is amazing. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022

FUCK CANCER

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Sorry for chiming in so late here, but want to extend condolences. 

Losing loved ones to cancer sucks.  I lost my brother-in-law that way and some others people I have known.  It sucks.

FUCK CANCER.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

pjpjpaul said:
    Just found out my 95 year old grandfather's throat cancer is back with a vengeance. He was cancer free for about 8 months but now it's back and apparently there are cells in lymph nodes now as well. I am his and my 97 year old grandmother's full-time caregiver and I'm just heartbroken to get this news.  He had 6 weeks of radiation last year but it sounds like immunotherapy or chemotherapy are the only real options if we choose to fight this time. This is from a news article in Richmond VA last week that featured WWII vets and this portion is dedicated to him-

"Thomas Edward “Tom” Story grew up in the Florida Panhandle and worked at a shipyard in Panama City before being drafted into the Army. He served in the 88th Infantry Division’s 351st Regiment and saw combat as part of the Allied campaigns in Italy near the end of the war. He was there when the fighting ended and helped transfer German prisoners of war back to Germany. Later in the summer of 1945, he was on a ship headed to the Pacific when President Harry S. Truman gave the order to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The ship then turned around and headed home. 

After the war, Story made the Army his career for 30 years, reaching the rank of sergeant major. He spent much of that time working in a support role with the U.S. Army Band. 

Now 95, Story survived a bout with throat cancer last year. He lives in Henrico with Beatrice, his wife of 72 years, daughter Lelia Wirt, and grandson and caregiver Paul Wirt. They have three children, five grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. 

“Our family got to know many of the vets from the 88th Infantry Division over the last 20 years through the reunions … but deteriorating health, diminishing numbers of members and COVID have put those wonderful trips in our rear view for the most part,” said Paul Wirt. “We cherish every moment we have with my grandparents and try to learn from them every day.”

https://richmond.com/news/local/world-war-ii-veterans-carry-memories-of-service-75-years-after-the-fighting-ended/article_3634509c-b8e7-5519-8673-b10e5fd63f34.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Richmond_Times-Dispatch

Best wishes for your grandfather and major kudos for care-giving.  That is huge.

brianlux said:
    pjpjpaul said:

Best wishes for your grandfather and major kudos for care-giving.  That is huge.
    Thanks. Yeah caregiving has been the unexpected and hardest but most rewarding experience of my life. Both grandparents are severely handicapped and his condition has just gone downhill over the last couple of years. They both have congestive heart failure and he has the cancer as well as kidney failure, orthostatic hypotension and a few other issues that limit mobility. At this point he doesn't really walk and is a severe fall risk if he stands and its getting to the point again where he can'tswallow or eat so I have to administer tube feedings 5 or 6 times a day. If I wasn't here my family would be spending over $200,000 a year for a skilled nursing facility for both grandparents so we are fortunate that im in the position to be able to care for them. Each day brings its own challenges and moments of success and failure but at least we are together and able to share the moments. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    Found out today that the cancer has spread. Symptoms are also increasing more rapidly and there isn't much that can be done this time. We are at the point of just trying to keep him as comfortable as we can. It's breaking our hearts but he has not expressed that he is in any pain so that is a plus. He is getting weaker and lost some weight over the last several months. F-cancer and 2020. I could really use a PJ show right about now.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    Sucks, man, sorry to get this update

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    pjpjpaul said:
    Found out today that the cancer has spread. Symptoms are also increasing more rapidly and there isn't much that can be done this time. We are at the point of just trying to keep him as comfortable as we can. It's breaking our hearts but he has not expressed that he is in any pain so that is a plus. He is getting weaker and lost some weight over the last several months. F-cancer and 2020. I could really use a PJ show right about now.
    So sorry to hear this. You are doing such an admirable act of being a caretaker. I’m glad he is not in pain. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Cancer, you can kiss my ass and then die of cancer, yes I want cancer to get cancer.  Then I want cancers cure to be the worst set of side effects ever, and in the end not work anyhow.

FUCK CANCER
    My grandfather began his immunotherapy l treatments last week. So far the only side effect has been fatigue so he basically sleeps all day now. I hope he can eventually swallow and eat solids again and regain a little strength but we shall see. He is supposed to have a scan at the end of next month to tell us how effective the treatment has been. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2