Your Record Storage, Whatcha got going?

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
edited July 2020 in Other Music
Currently using a bookcase. Will very soon reach its limits on space and weight. One of the shelves is already bowing pretty good.

Have looked around at maybe buying something. but most I've seen are bookshelf oriented.

So I looked up DYI solutions. Found some plans for a 2 tier setup similar to record store bins.

plans are included at this site.

Anyone ever went this route?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    one of the local stores recently relocated and rebuilt several bins. going to try to see if they still have the plans. theirs has shelving underneath to put more records in showing the spines...

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I have the PERFECT place finally cleared out in my den to put an Ikea 16 compartment Kallax- something I've wanted for several years- and now I can't get a pick appointment at Ikea and they want more money to ship the unit than the shelves themselves cost.  :anguished:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Ikea kallax.  Glossy white
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    The picture you show looks great for accessibility and coolness!  I just wonder about exposure to sun and dust. Might fade or warp your precious collection.  I've seen you have some great stuff. Mine are mostly stored inside a cabinet, in tote bags I can pull out. some in flimsy stacked crates covered by a blinged out cloth. 
    Maybe I should rethink my storage too!!!
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    edited July 2020
    Same, but black. When I finish remodeling my downstairs, I am having custom, built-in, solid oak shelving to replace my Kallax’s.
    Post edited by mookieblalock on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Same, but black.
    We both won if we stopped in for swedish meatballs while we were there
    Same, but black.
    We both won if we stopped in for swedish meatballs while we were there
    You definitely have the tiebreaker!
    edited July 2020
    Loujoe said:
    The picture you show looks great for accessibility and coolness!  I just wonder about exposure to sun and dust. Might fade or warp your precious collection.  I've seen you have some great stuff. Mine are mostly stored inside a cabinet, in tote bags I can pull out. some in flimsy stacked crates covered by a blinged out cloth. 
    Maybe I should rethink my storage too!!!
    direct sunlight wont be an issue in my little stereo area. for dust, I suppose a sheet can be affixed to the back. but all my stuff will wind up in poly covers anyway so shouldnt be an issue
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Kallax/Expedit here. 

I have the brown/black look. 2- 5x5s and 2- 4x2s 
    Kallax/Expedit here. 

I have the brown/black look. 2- 5x5s and 2- 4x2s 
    how many records in your collection? how many per cube are you putting in?

I think a cube can hold 40-55 records (depending on sleeve thickness/box sets/whatever). There are in there good, but have room to move without being packed in tight. 

As for the number of records I have, IDK. I stopped counting years ago. I'd guess 3000+ with 7"s and what not. 

edited July 2020
    I've been using the Expedits for about 15 years. Other than doing built ins, I think its the most affordable yet sturdy (as long as you properly anchor) and practical record storage solution. 

I've also found looking at spines was an easier way to find a record vs flipping through a rack. So in that regard, I think its footprint is more practical than a record rack, especially in smaller spaces like condos and apartments. I guess if you have a house and the room, go for the bin, they look cool.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on

I've been using the Expedits for about 15 years. Other than doing built ins, I think its the most affordable yet sturdy (as long as you properly anchor) and practical record storage solution. 

I've also found looking at spines was an easier way to find a record vs flipping through a rack. So in that regard, I think its footprint is more practical than a record rack, especially in smaller spaces like condos and apartments. I guess if you have a house and the room, go for the bin, they look cool.

how is your collection organized?

Alphabetized A-#

I also have sections broken out for Soundtracks, Compilations, Video Game Music, Broadway and Numero Group compilations. Those are also alphabetized.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606

Killer. I wanna come over!
    Loujoe said:

Killer. I wanna come over!
    This one isn’t mine, it’s one a friend had built for a client, but I plan to do something similar at some point when I begin renovating. 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Alphabetized A-#

I also have sections broken out for Soundtracks, Compilations, Video Game Music, Broadway and Numero Group compilations. Those are also alphabetized.

Alphabetical for me too. Chronological within any particular artist's section. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    Alphabetized A-#

Alphabetical for me too. Chronological within any particular artist's section. 
    sooo that begs the question, reissues, are they chronological as well or based off original release?
    and to the post question? whatcha got going?

Oh, original release. Like this:

OK Computer 97 EMI press, then the box set, then the 3LP reissue on blue vinyl pressed at Optimal and then another 3LP on Blue (US pressing), then the album singles, then Kid A 10" then Kid A 12" and so on.

Oh, original release. Like this:

OK Computer 97 EMI press, then the box set, then the 3LP reissue on blue vinyl pressed at Optimal and then another 3LP on Blue (US pressing), then the album singles, then Kid A 10" then Kid A 12" and so on.

am likely to just do 1st letter alphabetical.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Reissues right after OPs for me. Live shows, especially Dylan and PJ, go after the album the tour was in support of. 

Example: Constitution Hall Vault is after Yield. Hopefully this makes sense. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    edited July 2020
    But the Vaults just look so good next to each other.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    At long last, Ikea Kallax shelving for the LP's!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I've got a 4x4 Kallax Shelf.  It's current housing just over 600 records, which have taken me about 25 years to collect.    I was collecting at a slow pace until about 10 years ago when they start reissiung (or issuing) 90s music that I could never find in the 90s.   The 600+ includes 7" and box sets.

My problem is I'm down to about 2 empty cubes.  3 if I moved the box of 7" somewhere else (And the 7 box is getting pretty full).   It's going to be a challenge once those are full.
    Easy solution. 

Buy another and keep buying more records.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Easy solution. 

Buy another and keep buying more records.

Good point.  My problem is we have a small one floor house.  It's finding the room for another shelf that is the challenge.    One thought I had was I have the TV in my office/man cave on a crappy old wooden shelf.  I could maybe replace it with a 4x2 kallex shelf (if it goes on it's side, or maybe two 2x2 shelves).  Put the TV on top, and then use a box or two for electronics, and have the other 6 or 7 boxes for more records.
    No doubt. thats tough. 

I was just joking. I know its not always workable to just buy more shit.