Documentaries

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Has anyone seen the documentary Dig! ? Dave Grohl mentioned it on a recent podcast interview and said it was one of the best ones he seen . About the rivarly between dandy warholes and brian jonestones massacre. I can't find ANYWHERE to watch it online
    Oh wow, The Dany Warhols!  Never knew they feuded w Brian Jonestown Mass.  I listened to the Dandys wayyy back in the early 90's and saw Jonestown twice in the last 5 years.

I will definitely check this out.

Thanks!!!
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
    Filmage (Descendents doc)
    The Devil and Daniel Johnston
    Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Watched the Queen + Adam Lambert doc on Netflix the other day. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but pretty entertaining.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    The Black Godfather on Netflix is great.
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Thanks for the recommendation on Mistaken for Strangers.  I’ve never been a huge National fan, nothing against them, just didn’t know too much of their music, but this was an excellent doc.  I would recommend it for anyone whether you’re a fan of the band or not.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    ST66483 said:
    Thanks for the recommendation on Mistaken for Strangers.  I’ve never been a huge National fan, nothing against them, just didn’t know too much of their music, but this was an excellent doc.  I would recommend it for anyone whether you’re a fan of the band or not.

No problem. It is definitely one of the most unique rock docs that I've ever seen. It's a really brilliant idea.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    huge fan of the band
    once were brothers is amazing++++
    oh and a lot of my heroes chat about bruce hampton in, basically frightened

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Pap said:
    I'd love to see that. My Blu-Ray player doesn't work . Neither does my Record Player. 
    cutz said:
    Pap said:
    I'd love to see that. My Blu-Ray player doesn't work . Neither does my Record Player. 
    I'd love to watch it too. I've already listened to the CDs, but I need to find a way to play the Blu-ray. I've never owned a Blu-ray player. What happened to your machines, Jim? You could always buy new ones as Christmas gifts to yourself. :smile:
    Pap said:
    cutz said:
    Pap said:
    I'd love to watch it too. I've already listened to the CDs, but I need to find a way to play the Blu-ray. I've never owned a Blu-ray player. What happened to your machines, Jim? You could always buy new ones as Christmas gifts to yourself. :smile:
    I have the Download  but I haven't listen yet.

My Blu-Ray player  trey will not open. Just one day I went to Put a Disc in and it won't open up anymore. 

I think there is something wrong with the wire connection with my Record Player. I HOPE that's all it is and not the Record Player itself.

Man, I can't afford to buy that for myself because I canceled Christmas>LOL!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    We watched the music documentary, "David Crosby, Remember My Name" earlier this evening.  I had very mixed feeling about it.  Croz is a great musician and a fine songwriter, no doubt about that.  I would also so that he is a person who has learned to be very honest about himself- both regarding his successes and his failures- and despite having a large ego, is often quite self-effacing at times as well.  The big let down to me is that even though be blames his estrangement from nearly all the other major musicians he has worked with, he never once make a gesture of apology gesture in the film.    Perhaps that would be too embarrassing.  I'm not saying "he should", but it I believe it would have been helpful.

In any case, well worth checking out. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited November 2020
    cutz said: My Blu-Ray player  trey will not open. Just one day I went to Put a Disc in and it won't open up anymore.
    I think there is something wrong with the wire connection with my Record Player. I HOPE that's all it is and not the Record Player itself.
    Sorry to hear that, man. Hopefully, you can fix the problem and enjoy the doc. Meanwhile, I'll try to find a way to watch it on the desktop at my office.
    Pap said:
    cutz said: My Blu-Ray player  trey will not open. Just one day I went to Put a Disc in and it won't open up anymore.
    Sorry to hear that, man. Hopefully, you can fix the problem and enjoy the doc. Meanwhile, I'll try to find a way to watch it on the desktop at my office.
    Thanks

If you figure a way to watch on a Desktop, let me know how so maybe I can watch on mine.
    brianlux said:
    We watched the music documentary, "David Crosby, Remember My Name" earlier this evening.  I had very mixed feeling about it.  Croz is a great musician and a fine songwriter, no doubt about that.  I would also so that he is a person who has learned to be very honest about himself- both regarding his successes and his failures- and despite having a large ego, is often quite self-effacing at times as well.  The big let down to me is that even though be blames his estrangement from nearly all the other major musicians he has worked with, he never once make a gesture of apology gesture in the film.    Perhaps that would be too embarrassing.  I'm not saying "he should", but it I believe it would have been helpful.

https://youtu.be/OOnZXeHRl40
    cutz said:
    Thanks

If you figure a way to watch on a Desktop, let me know how so maybe I can watch on mine.
    I will. Fingers crossed, I have some good news soon.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

https://youtu.be/OOnZXeHRl40

That clip is in the documentary.  Have to hand it to the filmmakers- the film illustrates many of Crosby's fine achievements, but don't sugar coat or try to hide his failures and shortcomings. I like a lot about the man and his music, I'm also saddened and disappointed in some ways.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Pap said:
    cutz said:
    Thanks

I will. Fingers crossed, I have some good news soon.
    Download Leawo Blu-ray player. It works perfectly for me! :triumph:
  • clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 321
    When it comes to music docs, it starts and ends with Dig!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    clayton12 said:
    When it comes to music docs, it starts and ends with Dig!
    I have seen the Brian Jonestown Massacre twice. Trouble abounds.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Has anyone seen the documentary Dig! ? Dave Grohl mentioned it on a recent podcast interview and said it was one of the best ones he seen . About the rivarly between dandy warholes and brian jonestones massacre. I can't find ANYWHERE to watch it online
    Oh wow, The Dany Warhols!  Never knew they feuded w Brian Jonestown Mass.  I listened to the Dandys wayyy back in the early 90's and saw Jonestown twice in the last 5 years.

I will definitely check this out.

Thanks!!!
    Were you at the Webster Hall show? I think you are in the NYC area?

finally got a copy of... REVIVAL the sam bush story.  saw him play at the telluride bluegrass festival and i was hooked. he is a living legend.

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Two relatively recent music docs I’ve enjoyed are The Sparks Brothers and The Velvet Underground.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8610436/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7230750/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

Love to hear any other recent recommendations.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    Foo “Back & Forth” is definitely my favorite. 

Recently watched the Beastie Boys Story and really enjoyed it, unique format and really emotional, and I’m a casual fan at best. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    Shihad: Beautiful Machine is a good one. Loved the Tom Petty one too but that was a dodgy stream. Anyone know if you can still get Runnin' Down A Dream on DVD or has it been deleted? 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    JT167846 said:
    Shihad: Beautiful Machine is a good one. Loved the Tom Petty one too but that was a dodgy stream. Anyone know if you can still get Runnin' Down A Dream on DVD or has it been deleted? 

not sure about DVD but I think it's fairly easy to find on bluray.