Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Documentaries

124»

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 24,795
    Has anyone seen the documentary Dig! ? Dave Grohl mentioned it on a recent podcast interview and said it was one of the best ones he seen . About the rivarly between dandy warholes and brian jonestones massacre. I can't find ANYWHERE to watch it online
    Oh wow, The Dany Warhols!  Never knew they feuded w Brian Jonestown Mass.  I listened to the Dandys wayyy back in the early 90's and saw Jonestown twice in the last 5 years.

I will definitely check this out.

Thanks!!!
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NYPosts: 1,096
    We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
    Filmage (Descendents doc)
    The Devil and Daniel Johnston
    Turn It Around: The Story of East Bay Punk
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, GreecePosts: 23,252

Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin
    I wanna [Pearl] jam it wid you.
    Were [Pearl] jammin, [Pearl] jammin
    And I hope you like [Pearl] jammin too.

Sep 30, 2006 - OAKA Sports Hall - Athens, Greece
    Jul 11, 2014 - Milton Keynes Bowl - Milton Keynes, UK
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 48,100
    Watched the Queen + Adam Lambert doc on Netflix the other day. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but pretty entertaining.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MNPosts: 2,001
    The Black Godfather on Netflix is great.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 1,936

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 407
    Thanks for the recommendation on Mistaken for Strangers.  I’ve never been a huge National fan, nothing against them, just didn’t know too much of their music, but this was an excellent doc.  I would recommend it for anyone whether you’re a fan of the band or not.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 1,936
    ST66483 said:
    Thanks for the recommendation on Mistaken for Strangers.  I’ve never been a huge National fan, nothing against them, just didn’t know too much of their music, but this was an excellent doc.  I would recommend it for anyone whether you’re a fan of the band or not.

No problem. It is definitely one of the most unique rock docs that I've ever seen. It's a really brilliant idea.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 4,822
    huge fan of the band
    once were brothers is amazing++++
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 4,822
    oh and a lot of my heroes chat about bruce hampton in, basically frightened

Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin

• cutzcutz Posts: 9,687
    Pap said:

I'd love to see that. My Blu-Ray player doesn't work . Neither does my Record Player. 
    cutz said:
    Pap said:

I'd love to see that. My Blu-Ray player doesn't work . Neither does my Record Player. 
    I'd love to watch it too. I've already listened to the CDs, but I need to find a way to play the Blu-ray. I've never owned a Blu-ray player. What happened to your machines, Jim? You could always buy new ones as Christmas gifts to yourself. :smile:
    Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin

Pap said:
    cutz said:
    Pap said:

I'd love to watch it too. I've already listened to the CDs, but I need to find a way to play the Blu-ray. I've never owned a Blu-ray player. What happened to your machines, Jim? You could always buy new ones as Christmas gifts to yourself. :smile:
    I have the Download  but I haven't listen yet.

My Blu-Ray player  trey will not open. Just one day I went to Put a Disc in and it won't open up anymore. 

I think there is something wrong with the wire connection with my Record Player. I HOPE that's all it is and not the Record Player itself.

Man, I can't afford to buy that for myself because I canceled Christmas>LOL!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,826
    We watched the music documentary, "David Crosby, Remember My Name" earlier this evening.  I had very mixed feeling about it.  Croz is a great musician and a fine songwriter, no doubt about that.  I would also so that he is a person who has learned to be very honest about himself- both regarding his successes and his failures- and despite having a large ego, is often quite self-effacing at times as well.  The big let down to me is that even though be blames his estrangement from nearly all the other major musicians he has worked with, he never once make a gesture of apology gesture in the film.    Perhaps that would be too embarrassing.  I'm not saying "he should", but it I believe it would have been helpful.

In any case, well worth checking out. 

“In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen

edited November 23
    cutz said: My Blu-Ray player  trey will not open. Just one day I went to Put a Disc in and it won't open up anymore.
    I think there is something wrong with the wire connection with my Record Player. I HOPE that's all it is and not the Record Player itself.
    Sorry to hear that, man. Hopefully, you can fix the problem and enjoy the doc. Meanwhile, I'll try to find a way to watch it on the desktop at my office.
    Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin

Pap said:
    cutz said: My Blu-Ray player  trey will not open. Just one day I went to Put a Disc in and it won't open up anymore.
    Sorry to hear that, man. Hopefully, you can fix the problem and enjoy the doc. Meanwhile, I'll try to find a way to watch it on the desktop at my office.
    Thanks

If you figure a way to watch on a Desktop, let me know how so maybe I can watch on mine.
    brianlux said:
    We watched the music documentary, "David Crosby, Remember My Name" earlier this evening.  I had very mixed feeling about it.  Croz is a great musician and a fine songwriter, no doubt about that.  I would also so that he is a person who has learned to be very honest about himself- both regarding his successes and his failures- and despite having a large ego, is often quite self-effacing at times as well.  The big let down to me is that even though be blames his estrangement from nearly all the other major musicians he has worked with, he never once make a gesture of apology gesture in the film.    Perhaps that would be too embarrassing.  I'm not saying "he should", but it I believe it would have been helpful.

cutz said:
    Thanks

If you figure a way to watch on a Desktop, let me know how so maybe I can watch on mine.
    I will. Fingers crossed, I have some good news soon.
    Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 32,826
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

That clip is in the documentary.  Have to hand it to the filmmakers- the film illustrates many of Crosby's fine achievements, but don't sugar coat or try to hide his failures and shortcomings. I like a lot about the man and his music, I'm also saddened and disappointed in some ways.
    “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.”
    -James Allen