The National Football League

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Poncier said:
    mickeyrat said:
    There are absolutely teams who could use Kaepernick. My fucking team could've used him last year, I know that. 

I also do not buy the "once Harbaugh left, he was done" argument. Is Jim Harbaugh Don Shula for Christ's sake? There are plenty of other capable OC's and head coaches who can find a way to utilize the guy's talent. 
    He's known for getting a lot out of QB's and called a quarterback whisperer.

It's not hard to see that when he left the team really went to shit.  The whole Niners team overachieved with him there.
    He's hardly the only coach ever to be known for getting a lot out of his qb's. He had 3 good seasons as a coach in the NFL before hightailing it to Michigan. Big deal. 

And 5 years later the team was in the Super Bowl again without him. 
    Without Kap too.

EDIT: And with the better QB in Garapolo.
    what other personnel changes were made in that time?

The main thing that changed was Harbaugh leaving in my eyes.  
    Joe Staley was the only 49er on the roster for both SB 47 and SB 54, so I'd say there was a tad more to it than Harbaugh leaving.
    Using one OL that stuck around isn't a very convincing argument.

1-The team overachieved.  It's ok to say that and to admit that.  Teams do it all the time.
    2-Harbaugh left.  He saw the ship going down and had zero desire to try and right it because of management he dealt with in the upstairs.
    3-Kap isn't that good, see #1.
    4-Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl.  I repeat, Trent Dilfer.
    If he was such a good coach why did he leave when he saw the ship going down? He was 8-8 in his last year there too. You're giving this guy way too much credit.

Kap is absolutely good enough to be a quarterback in the NFL. There is no disputing that. Had our fucking president not turned his peaceful protest into a rallying cry for his ignorant racist base, he would never have left. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Poncier said:
    My argument is that the whole team changed form one SB appearance to the next, it wasn't just Harbaugh leaving. So what Harbaugh did there (and Kaepernick as well) has nothing to with the current success. Mickey asked what personnel changes were made, and you said the main change was Harbaugh leaving...the entire team has changed. 52 of 53 players.
    Yeah I mentioned that actually.

I said "Well if you are a coach you get to pick your staff so all of Harbaughs guys are gone. Only Rathman remained."

I was referring to when Harbaugh left though, not when they recently made it to the Superbowl.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Trent Dilfer had arguably the best defense in the history of the sport on the other side of the ball.  Did Brian Billick make that big of a difference too?
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    Poncier said:
    mickeyrat said:
    There are absolutely teams who could use Kaepernick. My fucking team could've used him last year, I know that. 

I also do not buy the "once Harbaugh left, he was done" argument. Is Jim Harbaugh Don Shula for Christ's sake? There are plenty of other capable OC's and head coaches who can find a way to utilize the guy's talent. 

It's not hard to see that when he left the team really went to shit.  The whole Niners team overachieved with him there.
    He's hardly the only coach ever to be known for getting a lot out of his qb's. He had 3 good seasons as a coach in the NFL before hightailing it to Michigan. Big deal. 

Without Kap too.

Joe Staley was the only 49er on the roster for both SB 47 and SB 54, so I'd say there was a tad more to it than Harbaugh leaving.

1-The team overachieved.  It's ok to say that and to admit that.  Teams do it all the time.
    2-Harbaugh left.  He saw the ship going down and had zero desire to try and right it because of management he dealt with in the upstairs.
    If he was such a good coach why did he leave when he saw the ship going down? He was 8-8 in his last year there too. You're giving this guy way too much credit.

Kap is absolutely good enough to be a quarterback in the NFL. There is no disputing that. Had our fucking president not turned his peaceful protest into a rallying cry for his ignorant racist base, he would never have left. 

Harbaugh left because he couldn't get along with the niners management which is why the ship was going down AND his dream job came about in coaching Michigan.  This is well documented and no secret.

Kap, the last 2 years showed signs of waning.  You could see that he wasn't the same.  He had flashes like all players do but he wasn't the same.

If he comes back he will be a backup at best and I don't expect him to be a backup being away this long.
    Trent Dilfer had arguably the best defense in the history of the sport on the other side of the ball.  Did Brian Billick make that big of a difference too?
    So did Flacco and Manning.  Difference was Manning was a QB w half an arm and still better than most of the league.

My point was even bad QB's can win a Superbowl if the stars align.

We can go on all day about bad QB's whom got 1 shot in the SB.
    Oh and for the record I supported Kap from day 1.  Just wanted to put that out there.
    Oh and for the record I supported Kap from day 1.  Just wanted to put that out there.
    I'm not personally doubting your support for Kap, it's more of where I think he is as a football player.  That's something we'll have to agree to disagree on.

I'm not personally doubting your support for Kap, it's more of where I think he is as a football player.  That's something we'll have to agree to disagree on.

Yeah, I think that Tebow was banished from the league for what he did too though. I brought this up before.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

Yeah, I think that Tebow was banished from the league for what he did too though. I brought this up before.
    Lots of players get banished for sucking, Tebow isn't alone in that regard.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

lol.  He won saved their season, won a playoff game for the Broncos and then was let go the next year.  I am a Broncos fan so I watched when he came in and KEPT WINNING and defying all of the experts predictions.  His QBR stunk but he won.  I would have tried him for at least one more season.

Then the poor bastard went to the Jets and they are well know for ruining QB's.
    Poncier said:

lol.  He won saved their season, won a playoff game for the Broncos and then was let go the next year.  I am a Broncos fan so I watched when he came in and KEPT WINNING and defying all of the experts predictions.  His QBR stunk but he won.  I would have tried him for at least one more season.

Tebow’s style of play would not have sustained at the QB position.  He couldn’t throw an accurate ball more than 15-20 yards.  If you can’t stretch a defense eventually they will limit you within 15 yards.  Ask Alex Smith, as a Chiefs fan I saw a lot of that and he was a waaaay better QB than Tebow.
    edited June 2020
    Poncier said:
    mickeyrat said:

Without Kap too.

Harbaugh left because he couldn't get along with the niners management which is why the ship was going down AND his dream job came about in coaching Michigan.  This is well documented and no secret.

Kap, the last 2 years showed signs of waning.  You could see that he wasn't the same.  He had flashes like all players do but he wasn't the same.

If he comes back he will be a backup at best and I don't expect him to be a backup being away this long.
    How many backups over the last 2 or 3 years are better than Kaepernick?

I'll answer for you: not many. There is no good reason for him not being in the NFL for the last few years.

As far as your "showed signs of waning," despite that he still put up numbers worthy of a mediocre quarterback in his last season. And his team had zero talent. And he was only 29. Under normal circumstances, plenty of teams would've lined up to try and salvage his career. 

The only reason Kap has been out of the league the last three years is Donald Trump. That's it. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:

Tebow’s style of play would not have sustained at the QB position.  He couldn’t throw an accurate ball more than 15-20 yards.  If you can’t stretch a defense eventually they will limit you within 15 yards.  Ask Alex Smith, as a Chiefs fan I saw a lot of that and he was a waaaay better QB than Tebow.
    Players have made careers out of it though.  Jay Fiedler is one that comes to mind.  He really stunk though.  Dude went to my HS and broke all sorts of Ivy League records.
    Poncier said:

Players have made careers out of it though.  Jay Fiedler is one that comes to mind.  He really stunk though.  Dude went to my HS and broke all sorts of Ivy League records.
    Tebow couldn't throw downfield unless his receiver was HS open though.  Even the game-winner to Thomas against Pittsburgh in the playoffs was a throw a freshman QB in college should make.  In 2011, they won the AFC West with an 8-8 record, which was a very mediocre division that year.  Defensive coordinators would have caught up to him in 2012, had he gotten the chance to start.  I don't think he would have had much success trying to win games 10-7 every week after his 2011 performance.

Poncier said:

Tebow couldn't throw downfield unless his receiver was HS open though.  Even the game-winner to Thomas against Pittsburgh in the playoffs was a throw a freshman QB in college should make.  In 2011, they won the AFC West with an 8-8 record, which was a very mediocre division that year.  Defensive coordinators would have caught up to him in 2012, had he gotten the chance to start.  I don't think he would have had much success trying to win games 10-7 every week after his 2011 performance.

Kap >>>>> Tebow
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Poncier said:

Kap >>>>> Tebow

x250
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Poncier said:

No credit for that dime he threw huh?

Damn you guys are brutal.
    Poncier said:

No credit for that dime he threw huh?

Damn you guys are brutal.
    A play-action fake post route, with Demarius Thomas behind the defense.  Travis Kelce could make that throw easily and he hadn’t played QB since HS.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Cam Newtown to the Pats
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Cam Newtown to the Pats
    on the same day they were fined and docked a draft pick for cheating once again. i don't think it's a coincidence both were announced on the same day.  it's a shame the NFL doesn't have a 3 strikes and you're out rule.  3 times and counting disciplined for cheating now.
    Cam Newtown to the Pats
    This is gonna be interesting...if they even play this year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Jim Harbaugh blows!
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    #bountygate
    Will Cam keep the #1?
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    ikiT said:
    Will Cam keep the #1?
    Belichick is assigning him #12.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    I'm curious to know if we'll still get press conferences like this.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    The Washington Foreskins.

I think all sports fans and most everybody else will get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune. No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washington Redskins, this guy is hilarious...

This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native
    Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
    reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
    folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I
    am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
    Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
    Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our
    children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message
    to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
    do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the
    Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the
    "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Washington DC
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    That was great. Especially the Beavers bit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com