Options

Gigaton is a masterpiece!

Comments

• Options
    TJ25487 said:
    Lifted said:
    I dont know about a masterpiece, but after 3 months of listening to it, im confident in saying it's a great album, and fits in nicely with their best work. At this point with lightning bolt and backspacer, the initial excitement of new pj had worn off and I accepted that to my ears, those albums were mediocre at best. I lost faith that pj had it in them to deliver an album of quality to match their their glory years which in my mind is the 91-2003 period.

With gigaton they delivered. If this album finished as strong as the first 4 tracks start, I might be willing to call it a masterpiece. However, while I do find redeeming qualities in every track, it does get a little spotty in the back end.

Id argue that who ever said is as good of a track as the band has every recorded.

This album is only going to get better once these songs join the live rotation. Those first four tracks should be live staples for the years to come.
    I am completely with you!

Agree on all accounts. I'd add Seven O'clock to the staples rotation giving it 5 total which is outstanding. 
    I've been thinking about it's final ranking in my mind and I simply give it 41/2 out of 5 stars. Using the Rolling Stone magazine scale where 4 stars means Excellent and 5 means Classic. 
    I wish I could get into Seven O’Clock like many on here have.
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    TJ25487 said:
    Lifted said:
    I dont know about a masterpiece, but after 3 months of listening to it, im confident in saying it's a great album, and fits in nicely with their best work. At this point with lightning bolt and backspacer, the initial excitement of new pj had worn off and I accepted that to my ears, those albums were mediocre at best. I lost faith that pj had it in them to deliver an album of quality to match their their glory years which in my mind is the 91-2003 period.

With gigaton they delivered. If this album finished as strong as the first 4 tracks start, I might be willing to call it a masterpiece. However, while I do find redeeming qualities in every track, it does get a little spotty in the back end.

Id argue that who ever said is as good of a track as the band has every recorded.

This album is only going to get better once these songs join the live rotation. Those first four tracks should be live staples for the years to come.

Agree on all accounts. I'd add Seven O'clock to the staples rotation giving it 5 total which is outstanding. 
    I've been thinking about it's final ranking in my mind and I simply give it 41/2 out of 5 stars. Using the Rolling Stone magazine scale where 4 stars means Excellent and 5 means Classic. 
    Same here. I do like it but it’s probably my
    least favorite track.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Listened again today while cooking/eating dinner. I love every song on this album. In the beginning, I was unsure about a few. But now I think this is the perfect album for our times and competes for their best overall. 

The "much to be done" part of Seven O'Clock is my favorite minute or so on the whole thing.  Much to be done indeed.

• Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    I only have 46 downloads of Gigaton. Any idea where I can buy more? 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Absolutely love the album by the way. 
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    RobertwileysrRobertwileysr Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Posts: 22
    wnh1977 said:
    For me, it wasn't love at first listen, but that isn't to say that it's not a good album.

My uncle told me that he thinks all of the songs sound the same (he's not a PJ fan, but listened to it for me, because he's the only music fan I can talk to, and have a more educated conversation with) and I see why he said that, but I have to disagree. 
    I think your uncle might need another listen.  I agree with you that this album might take a few listens... I think I really started to enjoy it on about listen #4.  But all songs sound the same???  "Dance of the Clairvoyants" sounds like "River Cross"?  "Quick Escape" sounds like "Buckle Up"?  "Whoever Said" sounds like "Alright"?  I don't get that criticism at all.  I'll give him this much... the singer sounds the same on all the tracks ;)
    Agreed!!! Listen #4 sold me too! The singer does sound the same on all the tracks. But DoTC sounds nothing like River Cross. Love me some Pearl Jam humor. I love this community...Pearl Jam fans. I'm the only Pearl Jam fan out of my friends AND family, since losing my dad. This is my dad's account. I changed it to my email, but I can't quite figure out how to change my username. I love how I can have real conversations with other Pearl Jam fans!
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,151
    EarlWelsh said:
    TJ25487 said:
    Lifted said:

Same here. I do like it but it’s probably my
    least favorite track.
    I thought I was the only one... I've listened to it many times, but I have trouble getting into it. It's not bad. It falls a little flat for me. 
  • Options
    Still not a fan of Buckle Up, but the rest of the album is outstanding!
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 590
    I’ve been listening to the album since it’s release but it still strikes me as one of their weaker albums. I wish I could get into it like others on this forum. I also think Buckle Up is one of the better songs on the album. It’s definitely the one song that has grown on me the most.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    I'm still listening regularly and still think it's among their best work since Yield. Top heavy, yes. But the better songs are SO FUCKING GOOD. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,556
    I keep visiting Gigaton mainly for Quick Escape and SBWM. Quick Escape is up there with their best work imo. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Niko80 said:
    I keep visiting Gigaton mainly for Quick Escape and SBWM. Quick Escape is up there with their best work imo. 
    SBWM is a rocker! It seems to be getting a bit overlooked by some. I’ve probably listened to that track the most. 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    I still listen to this album Whoever Said to River Cross.  I'm still not tempted to hit the skip button.  Love this whole album!
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    I still listen to this album Whoever Said to River Cross.  I'm still not tempted to hit the skip button.  Love this whole album!
    Same!! 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I wish I could get on board with everybody.  I think it is a great album especially when you compare it to popular releases by others in the last few years.  I think Dance of the Clairvoyants got my hopes up that the whole album was going to be very experimental.  As far as PJ records go it doesn't stack up for me.  For clarity here is how I feel about album ranking today

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

Still Gigaton is going to go down as one of the best releases by anybody in 2020,

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Many different ways to disseminate and exclaim the virtues of this album, but Masterpiece does have a nice ring to it, so that 2000 word essay will have to wait.
    However, if one adjective can be used to describe Gigaton, I would call it "Adventurous."
  • Options
    LowlightLowlight Plymouth, MA Posts: 100
    static111 said:
    I wish I could get on board with everybody.  I think it is a great album especially when you compare it to popular releases by others in the last few years.  I think Dance of the Clairvoyants got my hopes up that the whole album was going to be very experimental.  As far as PJ records go it doesn't stack up for me.  For clarity here is how I feel about album ranking today

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

Still Gigaton is going to go down as one of the best releases by anybody in 2020,

I take it Yield is dead to you?!
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    I think it is a great album.  I don’t listen to it very much though.  
  • Options
    Exactly six months ago, Gigaton was released.
    What can I say, I still love this record.
    The last time a PJ album had that much staying power was the year 2000 with Binaural being released.
    Gigaton rocks so much - thank you Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,674
    edited September 2020
    static111 said:

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

You don’t even have Yield in here, by that standard your ranking is disqualified. Amateur 
  • Options
    static111 said:

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

You don’t even have Yield in here, by that standard your ranking is disqualified. Ameature 
    Gigaton blows LB out of the water
  • Options
    static111 said:

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

You don’t even have Yield in here, by that standard your ranking is disqualified. Ameature 
    Gigaton blows

Put a little fixin on it. 

• Options
    RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 592
    I really like this album, but a few of the lyrics make me cringe, "mutant metaphors", "bed sores and spongebaths", and was really hoping that buckle up would transition to a total rocker/rager at the first interlude (that buckle up, meant buckle up cuz we're about to blow this sh*t out) , and on a final note, I really like comes then goes, but wish it was a full band effort akin to nothing as it seems or inside job, solid album, much different from anything they had done before... Anyone else feel that many of the tracks are tributes to artists that inspire them (Bruce, talking heads, Zeppelin, audioslave & Soundgarden, the Who etc) that is what the album feels like to me... My 2 cents
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    Just started reading this and have to go back to The Buckle Up comment - it's not my favorite but it's innovative and different and cool. So I respect it and am thrilled to have it on the album. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,848
    I still think gigaton is their best since yield.  This album is gonna rock live!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,115
    I think it's pretty decent, and it's grown on me a fair bit since it first came out.  My favourite post Yield album is still Avacado.  I love that album so much.

As much as I like Gigaton I think I've still got it in the lower 3.   Some other albums have definite nostalgia, so who know's where gigaton will end up once I've seen a tour for it, and it's aged enough to start getting into the nostalgic part of my brain.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have to agree that THEBIBLEISTEN's opinion is rendered moot by listing Ten as #4 and not having Yield anywhere on his list. Hell, those are the two best albums Pearl Jam has ever made! Crazy! 
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    mcgruff10 said:
    I still think gigaton is their best since yield.  This album is gonna rock live!!!
    Agree. I listen to it almost every day.I play it when I get ready for work. Great way to start the day.
  • Options
    Haven’t stopped listening since March. I still stand by my initial statement - Masterpiece. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

static111 said:

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

You don’t even have Yield in here, by that standard your ranking is disqualified. Amateur 
    Lowlight said:
    static111 said:

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

I take it Yield is dead to you?!
    Holy smokes!  I can’t believe I didn’t have yield in there.

should have went
    no code
    vs
    yield
    binaural
    ten 
    vitalogy
    avocado
    riot act
    lightning bolt
    backspacer
    gigaton.

I love ten and it made me a fan but these days I just don’t enjoy listening to it as much as the other I have listed before it.   Yield is definitely one of the all time greats and it’s unforgivable that I missed listing it. At any rate of all the albums Gigaton is the one that I prefer the least. It has good moments for sure.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden