Police abuse

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    After something I saw on FB this morning, I feel compelled to remind the boards that a Chicago police officer who posted here for a while before he was banned used to call having a family member killed by police "winning the ghetto lottery".
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    rgambs said:
    After something I saw on FB this morning, I feel compelled to remind the boards that a Chicago police officer who posted here for a while before he was banned used to call having a family member killed by police "winning the ghetto lottery".
    I don't remember that.  Really?

So if you get killed then the family sues?  I don't understand.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:

Yeah the lawsuits often end in settlements, so that's "winning the ghetto lottery".
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah the lawsuits often end in settlements, so that's "winning the ghetto lottery".
    That's fucked up.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

That's fucked up.
    I knew that was the case of high profile deaths, regardless if it was justified or not. The city/PD would rather pay out millions that face months of public scrutiny during a lawsuit.

I would be a little surprised if they shelled out that money in a slam dunk justified case that wasn’t highly publicized though.
  • randynesterrandynester Posts: 171
    edited June 2020
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Certainly worked for George Floyd...$14,487,400 and still counting. You know, for "funeral expenses" even though his funeral was paid for by celebrities.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Certainly worked for George Floyd...$14,487,400 and still counting. You know, for "funeral expenses" even though his funeral was paid for by celebrities.
    WTF? How "did it work for George Floyd?" He's fucking dead.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

What a disgusting comment. 
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I don't have to call you anything vile - I just want to bring this to the surface so that people can choose their own expletive.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited June 2020
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Is this a bannable offense?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Is what a bannable offense?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Man I hope not.  Don't agree...but bannable? You can protect yourself ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Is there any part of this that you take issue with?
    Councilmembers who pushed to defund the police get death threats and private security is hired. Shines a light on two huge arguments against abolishing police:

- There are times when a citizen needs armed protection 
    - If it's left to hiring private security, this becomes a class issue. Politicians, for example, have this option where most citizens likely couldn't afford it.

https://www.fox9.com/news/minneapolis-council-members-get-private-security-after-threats
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    pjl44 said:
    Councilmembers who pushed to defund the police get death threats and private security is hired. Shines a light on two huge arguments against abolishing police:

- If it's left to hiring private security, this becomes a class issue. Politicians, for example, have this option where most citizens likely couldn't afford it.

https://www.fox9.com/news/minneapolis-council-members-get-private-security-after-threats
    And if people have issues with police, then they should really be worried about private security because there's even less training and vetting. Yikes!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    pjl44 said:

What a joke. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/two-police-officers-allegedly-tased-man-more-than-50-times-resulting-in-his-death/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Two Police Officers Allegedly Tased Man More Than 50 Times, Resulting in His Death

ALBERTO LUPERON JUL 3, 2020 11:56 AM
    In between lamenting George Washington and censoring Golden Girls episodes, I'm hoping we might be able to see some police reform
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Oh really now?  And where did you read that?  Nice try.

And what about his killer who could receive $50K a year even if found guilty of murder?

"Even if the former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin is found guilty of murdering George Floyd, he will qualify to receive what could amount to around $50,000 a year in state pension payments."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

And what about his killer who could receive $50K a year even if found guilty of murder?

"Even if the former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin is found guilty of murdering George Floyd, he will qualify to receive what could amount to around $50,000 a year in state pension payments."

Certainly didn't "work" for George Floyd at all.

As to your point Brian...I agree.  Unions suck ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

If you get a felony 99% of the time you lose your pension.  Minnesota has some interesting rules on the books if that cop keeps his.
    edited July 2020
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

On principle I don’t have a problem with that, it’s theoretically his money. I don’t know how his pension works, but I assume it’s like all other pensions I’m familiar with.
    For my teacher pension it isn’t just money the state gives me when I retire for a job well done. They take about 10% of every paycheck and invest it, and when I meet certain criteria (age and years on the job) I can begin to collect. But it’s my money I put in.
    As far as I know they don’t seize assets just because you get convicted of a violent crime, unless your crime is money related like being a drug lord or bank robberies. So I don’t see the connection between being found guilty as a cop and not allowing you to collect on your investments. Seizing your pension would be like seizing your stock portfolio or 401k.

Now what I don’t agree with is that pensions are off limits to civil lawsuits like with OJ. You should be able to garnish pensions to collect monies you were awarded in a civil lawsuit.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

On principle I don’t have a problem with that, it’s theoretically his money. I don’t know how his pension works, but I assume it’s like all other pensions I’m familiar with.
    For my teacher pension it isn’t just money the state gives me when I retire for a job well done. They take about 10% of every paycheck and invest it, and when I meet certain criteria (age and years on the job) I can begin to collect. But it’s my money I put in.
    As far as I know they don’t seize assets just because you get convicted of a violent crime, unless your crime is money related like being a drug lord or bank robberies. So I don’t see the connection between being found guilty as a cop and not allowing you to collect on your investments. Seizing your pension would be like seizing your stock portfolio or 401k.

Now what I don’t agree with is that pensions are off limits to civil lawsuits like with OJ. You should be able to garnish pensions to collect monies you were awarded in a civil lawsuit.
    That's interesting. The portion that's your contribution sounds like a traditional 401k. Is that considered part of your "pension?" I've always associated a pension with being employer-funded. That's how my dad's worked.
    edited July 2020
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

That's interesting. The portion that's your contribution sounds like a traditional 401k. Is that considered part of your "pension?" I've always associated a pension with being employer-funded. That's how my dad's worked.
    We don’t have a 401k, they just take about 10% of our paycheck and put it into PERS (public employee retirement system). They draw form that to pay out pensions. Mine is employee funded. And since baby boomers are living forever they have to increase the percent and take out more and more every year. Maybe it’s different there. But either way it doesn’t really matter, it’s money they would have paid the employee as part of the salary compensation. It really makes no difference if they pay me 10% less but contribute directly towards the retirement system.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

We don’t have a 401k, they just take about 10% of our paycheck and put it into PERS (public employee retirement system). They draw form that to pay out pensions. Mine is employee funded. And since baby boomers are living forever they have to increase the percent and take out more and more every year. Maybe it’s different there. But either way it doesn’t really matter, it’s money they would have paid the employee as part of the salary compensation. It really makes no difference if they pay me 10% less but contribute directly towards the retirement system.
    Huh. I didn't realize a lot of that. I don't want to take things down a pension detour, but I'm fascinated by the shifts that are happening and wonder if people are reading the handwriting on the wall. I have a couple friends in the public sector with pensions and I'll have to ask them about this. The employee-funded portion is honestly new to me.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Huh. I didn't realize a lot of that. I don't want to take things down a pension detour, but I'm fascinated by the shifts that are happening and wonder if people are reading the handwriting on the wall. I have a couple friends in the public sector with pensions and I'll have to ask them about this. The employee-funded portion is honestly new to me.
    I've been teaching for 26 years. I have been paying a percentage of my pension for 26 years. That fact is not a shift -- the only thing that has shifted is the burden. Since the 2008 crash, the burden has shifted toward teachers paying more. It used to be that I paid 1% and the district paid 4%. Now it's the complete opposite. I think my state matches another 5%, but I'd have to double check on that. I remember my retirement planner telling me that my pension is guaranteed a 5% annual growth, whatever that means. But yes, there are a lot of myths out there about teacher pay and benefits that have persisted for decades, as the right wing has succeeded in casting government employees as leeches on society.
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I've been teaching for 26 years. I have been paying a percentage of my pension for 26 years. That fact is not a shift -- the only thing that has shifted is the burden. Since the 2008 crash, the burden has shifted toward teachers paying more. It used to be that I paid 1% and the district paid 4%. Now it's the complete opposite. I think my state matches another 5%, but I'd have to double check on that. I remember my retirement planner telling me that my pension is guaranteed a 5% annual growth, whatever that means. But yes, there are a lot of myths out there about teacher pay and benefits that have persisted for decades, as the right wing has succeeded in casting government employees as leeches on society.
    What you described is a shift. My dad didn’t pay anything into his pension. Just union dues. He's older than you so the shift seems to be from fully state funded to some employee contribution to higher employee contribution.
    Also, question for both of you: Is that a lump sum of money or will you be guaranteed a percentage of your salary as annual income for life?
    A couple gems from today:

Baltimore Police sergeant arrested, accused of kidnapping contractor and extorted him for a refund while on duty, county police say

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-ci-cr-bpd-detective-arrested-20200710-fb2ctzpkondxhdmreklugc75n4-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Most State Police troopers implicated in overtime fraud scandal will keep their jobs

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/10/metro/most-state-police-troopers-implicated-overtime-fraud-scandal-will-keep-their-jobs/