Options

Live Nation - Memo Leaked

2»

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,086
    I thought it was odd that I recently received an email related to a cancelled Sammy Hagar show that I bought tickets for.  Live Nation gave me the option of a 100% refund or a 150% credit if I let them keep the $$.  

I figured the credit would be too hard to use later and asked for the refund.
    I did the same thing. I don't trust them at all. Fully expect it to come with all sorts of stipulations - like it will only be good for lawn seats for select shows, etc.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    pjl44 said:
    I thought it was odd that I recently received an email related to a cancelled Sammy Hagar show that I bought tickets for.  Live Nation gave me the option of a 100% refund or a 150% credit if I let them keep the $$.  

I did the same thing. I don't trust them at all. Fully expect it to come with all sorts of stipulations - like it will only be good for lawn seats for select shows, etc.
    yep....just like all of those ticketmaster price gouging credits that I couldn't use
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,241
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:
    I don't see how boycotting Live Nation venues helps the artist. If the artist chooses to work with them, they're counting on people to buy tickets, show up, and buy merch. If anything, I can see going out of your way to support an artist who is explicitly trying to circumvent Live Nation by driving a little further to a show or paying more for a ticket.

Whenever Greg Dulli's Paradise (LN venue) show goes off, there is zero chance I'm missing it and I guarantee he wants a packed room. Who am I really sticking it to if I stay home?

I think they were kidding.   There are no shows in 2020 to boycott :)
    Ah yeah. I am a giant dummy!
    Well actually, looks like drive-in concerts are going to be a thing at Live Nation venues ... 

https://livenation.com/drivein/?c=EML_LN_LN2056636&camefrom=EMLN_LN2056636&et_rid=27399916 
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    This makes TM look angelic.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:
    I don't see how boycotting Live Nation venues helps the artist. If the artist chooses to work with them, they're counting on people to buy tickets, show up, and buy merch. If anything, I can see going out of your way to support an artist who is explicitly trying to circumvent Live Nation by driving a little further to a show or paying more for a ticket.

Whenever Greg Dulli's Paradise (LN venue) show goes off, there is zero chance I'm missing it and I guarantee he wants a packed room. Who am I really sticking it to if I stay home?

Well actually, looks like drive-in concerts are going to be a thing at Live Nation venues ... 

https://livenation.com/drivein/?c=EML_LN_LN2056636&camefrom=EMLN_LN2056636&et_rid=27399916 
    Huh. I didn't see prices anywhere. Any idea what one of these tickets costs? I would potentially do this. Not any of those shows, but if it was someone I was into.
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    pjl44 said:

yep....just like all of those ticketmaster price gouging credits that I couldn't use

Dammit this just reminded me of the bullshit settlement , every time shows went up with my "credits" the shows would always be sold out. I had so many credits for that , never used.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

Huh. I didn't see prices anywhere. Any idea what one of these tickets costs? I would potentially do this. Not any of those shows, but if it was someone I was into.
    Apparently the lowest is $125, and you're allowed up to 4 people. The "seat" map on the event page shows four different zones, so presumably $125 is the back row and the closer zones are more expensive. Presale tomorrow -- I'll probably get tix to El Monstero (STL-based Pink Floyd tribute) and opt for the gold level if it's not too outrageous. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/touring/9406554/live-nation-drive-in-concert-series-lineup-dates-cities#:~:text=Tickets%20will%20go%20on%20sale,four%20attendees%20per%20car%20attend. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

Apparently the lowest is $125, and you're allowed up to 4 people. The "seat" map on the event page shows four different zones, so presumably $125 is the back row and the closer zones are more expensive. Presale tomorrow -- I'll probably get tix to El Monstero (STL-based Pink Floyd tribute) and opt for the gold level if it's not too outrageous. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/touring/9406554/live-nation-drive-in-concert-series-lineup-dates-cities#:~:text=Tickets%20will%20go%20on%20sale,four%20attendees%20per%20car%20attend. 
    Thanks. If we're talking $30/head at the lowest end, I suspect I'd be priced out of this if they do it near me. The tailgating aspect is better than staying in your car, but I don't see it being worth traditional concert prices. 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,545
    edited June 2020
    Pass
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,254
    Given that no one expected all events to shutdown for a prolonged period of time, I don't think LiveNation ever imagined it would happen, and never planned for it.  Given at how slow they were to figure out refunds for tickets, I'm thinking they've taken a sizable financial hit.

Now realizing that their model involved them loosing gobs of money in a pandemic, they figured out how to move that risk onto the bands.

I know were all slagging them for doing it, but my brain likes to know how things work.   When they say they're not providing cancellation insurance, and it's up to the band.  My brain is thinking:   How much did their insurance premiums skyrocket when they had to claim all these cancellations at once.  It must of been nasty.  I'm curious what overhead and expenses they're obligated to pay out regardless if a show goes on or not are.

To me, it reads like they took the brunt of all the lost event money due to the pandemic and they're trying to avoid being put in that position again.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

Thanks. If we're talking $30/head at the lowest end, I suspect I'd be priced out of this if they do it near me. The tailgating aspect is better than staying in your car, but I don't see it being worth traditional concert prices. 
    Four price levels, with $300 the highest. Decided to pass for now 

• Options
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

Man that is stiff for a tribute band
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,250
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

If it wasn’t 2020 I would have to consider the above graphic a bad joke
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

Lol. Brad Paisley and Nelly are charging the same. And for Nashville, it's $400/300/200, Indy $350/250/200/150. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    SHZA said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

Lol. Brad Paisley and Nelly are charging the same. And for Nashville, it's $400/300/200, Indy $350/250/200/150. 
    $70 in fees on the high end so you're looking at almost $120/head for Nashville. 

I went through the process and was kinda hoping they assigned you a specific space number but it doesn't seem that way. My ticket said GOLD2 but I assume that is like GA2. I guess it's first come, first served for each zone? A little extra layer of stress.

I was also thinking about how weird it's gonna be to watch someone house beers then get behind the wheel. I'm sure it happens all the time but you never actually watch the person pounding tallboys a row in front of you just stroll over to the driver's side after the show is over.