so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Pro 1
    Am 2
    Whiz Last Resort

I will admit to melted Am cheese for fries being goddamn delicious.  Fat ass, lardo, heaven.  Never had it until moving to the Philly area.  It is no wonder so many lardos live here.  I used to think it was just the weather
    ....now I think it is mostly the badass nasty stuff they cook which tastes so good

Sammie Paradise 
    I think it was the Travel Channel that called Philly the sandwich capital of the world and I would love to hear anyone’s argument against that. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    RiotZact said:
    Holy shit. I’ve lived less than a half mile from this place for almost a year now and this is the first time I’ve tried it. My friends have been telling me forever that I would love it but I just kept putting it off. What a fucking idiot I am. This is one of the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever had. They call it the Uncle Tony and it has pepperoncini relish and house smoked wiz. My girlfriend’s chicken cutlet sandwich was amazing too. If you’re in the Philly area you have to try this place. 

Poe’s Sandwich Joint:

I have never heard of this place and those look amazing. Looks like the spot is kinda in a weird area. Will have to look into 

You gotta get the cheesesteak from Angelos. 
    This thread is glorious. I want a cheesesteak
    RiotZact said:
    Holy shit. I’ve lived less than a half mile from this place for almost a year now and this is the first time I’ve tried it. My friends have been telling me forever that I would love it but I just kept putting it off. What a fucking idiot I am. This is one of the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever had. They call it the Uncle Tony and it has pepperoncini relish and house smoked wiz. My girlfriend’s chicken cutlet sandwich was amazing too. If you’re in the Philly area you have to try this place. 

Poe’s Sandwich Joint:

I have never heard of this place and those look amazing. Looks like the spot is kinda in a weird area. Will have to look into 

Yeah, it’s in a bit of a weird place. I live in “Olde Kensington” which is super close to where Fishtown meets Northern Liberties, so it’s pretty well gentrified at this point. But it starts to get a little shady when you walk in the direction of Poe’s. Some great food spots in that area though. Sutton’s is literally right next door and they have awesome food and I know I’ve been recommended to a few other places within a few blocks that have great yelp reviews. It’s an interesting little area if you can get past some of the shadiness. 

Wait, Angelo’s the pizza place? I’m supposed to finally try their “upside down jawn” any day now. And now you’re telling me I have to go back for a cheesesteak. Looks like I’ll be frequenting South Philly quite a bit here soon. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    How much are these places charging for some of these  Cheese Steaks? (Plain Cheese Steak and with Toppings?) 
    cutz said:
    How much are these places charging for some of these  Cheese Steaks? (Plain Cheese Steak and with Toppings?) 
    Usually between $8-12 in my experience.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

Poe’s Sandwich Joint:

Yeah, it’s in a bit of a weird place. I live in “Olde Kensington” which is super close to where Fishtown meets Northern Liberties, so it’s pretty well gentrified at this point. But it starts to get a little shady when you walk in the direction of Poe’s. Some great food spots in that area though. Sutton’s is literally right next door and they have awesome food and I know I’ve been recommended to a few other places within a few blocks that have great yelp reviews. It’s an interesting little area if you can get past some of the shadiness. 

Wait, Angelo’s the pizza place? I’m supposed to finally try their “upside down jawn” any day now. And now you’re telling me I have to go back for a cheesesteak. Looks like I’ll be frequenting South Philly quite a bit here soon. 
    Upside down jawn!  (Eat it hot)
    I never had a cheesesteak there, that I can recall, but they have so many good sandwiches.
    Betting my wife ordered a steak at some point but just don't recall tasting.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Moochies. Salt Lake City.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Looks good!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The meat to veggie ratio is waaaay off.
    I’m sure there are exceptions, but for the most part that is why Philly really is the only place to get an awesome cheesesteak. Even at the not-so-great places they fucking pile the meat on. It’s really just the competition I think. If you don’t load meat on yours then don’t expect to sell many because there’s 3 other places on your street that do. 
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.

you’re garbage. :wink:

they’re philly transplants.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Agree that the ratio looks off but I like my veggies and would enjoy that.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I agree, it's not that there's too much veggie, it's just that there's not enough meat. I'm from the cesspool known as Ohio, and I've never been to Philly, but even I know if you have to move some meat from the center to fill the ends of the bun then bullshit is afoot.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    RiotZact said:
    I’m sure there are exceptions, but for the most part that is why Philly really is the only place to get an awesome cheesesteak. Even at the not-so-great places they fucking pile the meat on. It’s really just the competition I think. If you don’t load meat on yours then don’t expect to sell many because there’s 3 other places on your street that do. 
    I need a friggen cheesesteak. 
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

Poe’s Sandwich Joint:

An area of the city I am not familiar with. The wife grew up in Fishtown and I obviously know Northern Liberties well, just haven't really ventured to that area. I want this Poes though. Looks banging.

Yessir.  The cheesesteak is done up a bit, and on their crusty bread, but it is banging. The upside down jawn is good. I love their sandwiches though.

Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.

So they say!

I agree that meat/veggie ratio doesn't seem right. Also, do you have any cheese on this fucking thing?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.

So they say!

I agree that meat/veggie ratio doesn't seem right. Also, do you have any cheese on this fucking thing?
    Yeah, I'm seeing everything except Cheese & Steak.

Nothing like having a bunch of shit with a little Cheese Steak>LOL
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited May 2020
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.

So they say!

Maybe he had a vegetarian steakless cheeseless sandwich. :smiley: 

(Rob, no worries. I saw a few slivers of "beef" in there.)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.

So they say!

This is how Wob placed his order:

Wob: "Yeah, hi....I'd like a 'without' please."
    Server: "You mean 'provolone without?'"
    Wob: "No just give me a pile of shit without and throw a ton of mushrooms and peppers on there. Thanks!"
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    deadendp said:
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.

So they say!

(Rob, no worries. I saw a few slivers of "beef" in there.)
    Probably Steak'Ums.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I've gotta settle for Jersey Mike's up this way. Better than D'Angelo at least.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    We live in prime land for this and my kid insists on Jersey mike for his steaks.  (They aren't bad, actually, but not as good as some of the others.  He loves then.)
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Garbage.

So they say!

Hey don’t knock it before you try it.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Johns. DiNics. Chinks (Joe's). And the number 9 at D'Angelos works when you are on the road - better than Papa Ginos. Used to get that in a pocket as a kid and watched Drew Bledsoe eat two extra large number 9 subs at D'Angelos in Medfield Mass  in 1995.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    dankind said:
    Don’t forget about Santoro’s across from the Hilltop on Rt. 1

#dixiesgoindeeptonight!
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

edited May 2020
    ed243421 said:
    dankind said:
    Don’t forget about Santoro’s across from the Hilltop on Rt. 1

#dixiesgoindeeptonight!
    Yeah, I’m not native enough to go anywhere on Route 1 unless driven by force or the will of the hockey demons—in which case, Hockeytown USA (Saugus); Prince Pizzeria (awful, a crime to call it pizza, also in Saugus) and Mass Bay Hockey Center (Peavers? Danbody? Who the fuck can tell the difference?).

I have had the Saugus Wings from the Kowloon food truck, though, and those things are—how do you say?—“wicked good.”

I don’t think I’ll ever reach the point at which I’d venture into a Route 1 spot by choice, so I’ll have to take your word on the cheesesteak spot. Hell, the family truckster got rearended taking the boy to one of the places above. Thankfully, it was gentle enough not to hurt anyone or force us into traffic. (Take it easy on those entrance ramps, people; this ain’t an interstate ramp in rural Maine.) Anyway, I shudder to think what it’s like getting on to Route 1 without a ramp.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    It really looks like this. just kinda brown and delicious.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    It really looks like this. just kinda brown and delicious.

:how_interesting:
    I SAW PEARL JAM