so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    What is a classic Philly steak sandwich allowed to have on it?
    I make my own at home and they are incredible, but probably don't pass muster.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    RiotZact said:
    Had this one a few months back, after a meeting outside of Philly. Leo's Steak Shop. Was pretty good.

That looks great! Yelp reviews and pics look amazing too. Added to my list. 
    You won't be disappointed. Id definitely go back next time I am in town.
    Peppers?  Onions?  Touch of bacon?  Mushrooms? Whatabout cheese? What kind of cheeses?
    I understand pictures don't tell the full story, but most of those look like plain beef on a bun...
    rgambs said:
    Peppers?  Onions?  Touch of bacon?  Mushrooms? Whatabout cheese? What kind of cheeses?
    I understand pictures don't tell the full story, but most of those look like plain beef on a bun...
    Cheese is distributed pretty well in the photo I just posted, but obviously hard to see. I personally go simple with steak & cheese. 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    rgambs said:
    I say if it has beef on it and it has melted cheese on it then it’s a cheesesteak.

The most “traditional” way is with your choice of cheese (usually wiz, American, or sharp provolone) and with or without onions. That’s a pretty tourist-y way of looking at it though. 

Most of the local places will have a pickle bar with several different kinds of pickles and peppers for you to add on yourself. Many people like to order theirs with grilled hot or sweet peppers, and even ketchup is extremely popular amongst some Philly natives, which I think is fucking repulsive. 

A “pizza steak“ has marinara, provolone or mozzarella, and sometimes pepperoni. A “cheesesteak hoagie” has your choice of cheese with lettuce, tomato, raw onions, and usually mayo or some type of dressing. 

Lots of places have their own variations too, like Woodrow’s Sandwich Shop that I mentioned earlier, with truffle infused wiz, grilled onions, and cherry pepper mayo. Fucking phenomenal. Stockyard Sandwich Co. makes one with braised beef, house made wiz, grilled onions, and mushrooms. That one is pretty good too. I’ve also heard of Ethiopian and Korean places in Philly that have their own culturally infused variations. 

There’s no wrong answer in my opinion. My preference? American cheese with some salt and pepper. I like most of my food with very little condiments/veggies though. 
    rgambs said:
    Cheese is distributed pretty well in the photo I just posted, but obviously hard to see. I personally go simple with steak & cheese. 
    I’m with you, I hate onions. Sometimes I’ll splurge and get some grilled long hots or bacon. Usually pictures of the best cheesesteaks don’t do them any justice because the cheese is so well distributed that it’s basically fused with the beef, so it ends up looking like plain beef on a bun like rgambs said. 
    We do sauteed onions and hot/sweet pepper blend, sometimes some diced bacon, and provolone cheese. Plenty of salt and some Helman's on the bun.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    RiotZact said:
    rgambs said:
    I’m with you, I hate onions. Sometimes I’ll splurge and get some grilled long hots or bacon. Usually pictures of the best cheesesteaks don’t do them any justice because the cheese is so well distributed that it’s basically fused with the beef, so it ends up looking like plain beef on a bun like rgambs said. 
    I will ask even though I realize that I am setting myself up for some responses that will turn my face red...

What on earth is a "grilled long hot?" :fearful:

Like the taste of onion but don't care for the texture. Unfortunately, they also give me the worst acid reflux ever. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    rgambs said:
    We do sauteed onions and hot/sweet pepper blend, sometimes some diced bacon, and provolone cheese. Plenty of salt and some Helman's on the bun.
    Sounds like a cheesesteak to me! A pretty damn good one too, minus the onions.
    deadendp said:
    RiotZact said:
    rgambs said:
    I will ask even though I realize that I am setting myself up for some responses that will turn my face red...

Like the taste of onion but don't care for the texture. Unfortunately, they also give me the worst acid reflux ever. 
    It’s just a long, greenish-yellow hot pepper. I’ve tried to find the answer to that myself and it doesn’t really seem like there is one. Philadelphians just call long skinny hot peppers “long hots” for some reason. I think it mostly refers to leaving them whole vs. chopping them up into the meat. If someone has a better answer please chime in. 

It’s the texture of onions that gets me too. I actually like having things grilled with onions but then I’ll take 15 minutes to pick out every little onion at a nice restaurant where people look at me like I’m some sort of heathen picking through my food and making a mess. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    rgambs said:
    I go with the basic Steak & Cheese too. For me, if anything else is on it it ruins the Steak & the Cheese. The Cheese must be distributed within the steak.

Just give me a CHEESE STEAK!
    cutz said:
    rgambs said:
    I go with the basic Steak & Cheese too. For me, if anything else is on it it ruins the Steak & the Cheese. The Cheese must be distributed within the steak.

Yeah, I personally wouldn't ever eat it another way (with peppers, onions or something else).

With that being said, I have several friends who give me shit for eating a simple cheese steak. 

Sometimes simple is better. 
    If the steak is good enough to eat without other stuff I'm not gonna cook it well and make a sandwich.  
    rgambs said:
    If the steak is good enough to eat without other stuff I'm not gonna cook it well and make a sandwich.  
    Well, cheese is “other stuff” isn’t it?
    edited May 2020
    rgambs said:
    Using a typical steak to make a steak & cheese, I would agree with you 100000%.

My butcher (and several grocery stores around here) sell shaved ribeye, which is essentially made to chop up for steak & cheese.

Just because you like peppers and onions does not make it wrong by any means. Everyone likes it how they like it, ya know. As long as it takes good my friend!
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
    cutz said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah, I personally wouldn't ever eat it another way (with peppers, onions or something else).

With that being said, I have several friends who give me shit for eating a simple cheese steak. 

Sometimes simple is better. 
    How true. I might get harpooned for saying this, but sometimes the greatest tasting food in the world to me is a plain (just cheese and seasoning) double cheeseburger from McDonald’s. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    RiotZact said:
    deadendp said:
    RiotZact said:
    rgambs said:

It’s just a long, greenish-yellow hot pepper. I’ve tried to find the answer to that myself and it doesn’t really seem like there is one. Philadelphians just call long skinny hot peppers “long hots” for some reason. I think it mostly refers to leaving them whole vs. chopping them up into the meat. If someone has a better answer please chime in. 

It’s the texture of onions that gets me too. I actually like having things grilled with onions but then I’ll take 15 minutes to pick out every little onion at a nice restaurant where people look at me like I’m some sort of heathen picking through my food and making a mess. 
    The secret and joy of the Philly area Long Hot is that sometimes it tastes like a green bell pepper and sometimes it is 🔥.
    You never know.
    I love them!

Oh, and for those who dislike the texture some folks cook the shit out of the onions and some don't.  Makes a big difference.  This is the #1 reason I would pick Pat's over Geno's.  The onions at Pat's are cooked properly.
    I'm going to still vote for the Roast Pork over the Steak.  ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Dalessandro's. There is your answer.

That's it. Close up the thread, Kat. We're done here. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Dalessandro's. There is your answer.

That's it. Close up the thread, Kat. We're done here. 
    Well said. 
    Holy shit. I’ve lived less than a half mile from this place for almost a year now and this is the first time I’ve tried it. My friends have been telling me forever that I would love it but I just kept putting it off. What a fucking idiot I am. This is one of the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever had. They call it the Uncle Tony and it has pepperoncini relish and house smoked wiz. My girlfriend’s chicken cutlet sandwich was amazing too. If you’re in the Philly area you have to try this place. 

Poe’s Sandwich Joint:

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Looks grinding.  House smoked whiz?
    Haha.
    Damn I do love Philly.

Haha.
    Damn I do love Philly.

Grinding?
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I still can't believe people proudly use Cheese Whiz and smoke it. :rofl:

I mean, whatever takes you where you need to go, but I always kind of ranked it with food like Fluff in a jar and that goofy goober striped jelly. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    edited May 2020
    deadendp said:

I mean, whatever takes you where you need to go, but I always kind of ranked it with food like Fluff in a jar and that goofy goober striped jelly. 
    Haha only on a cheesesteak or fries is it elevated. I hate it on just about anything else. One of the places I mentioned earlier infuses wiz with Truffle oil. 
    RiotZact said:
    Haha.
    Damn I do love Philly.

Grinding?
    Grinding = good eats
    RiotZact said:
    Haha.
    Damn I do love Philly.

Grinding?
    Grinding = good eats
    Nice. Yes it was in fact grinding!
    deadendp said:

It makes a mean broccoli and cheese casserole too!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    RiotZact said:
    deadendp said:

Haha only on a cheesesteak or fries is it elevated. I hate it on just about anything else. One of the places I mentioned earlier infuses wiz with Truffle oil. 
    A wizman, eh?

I go either Provolone or American.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    deadendp said:

A wizman, eh?

I go either Provolone or American.
    Nope I go American.
    edited May 2020
    Pro 1
    Am 2
    Whiz Last Resort

I will admit to melted Am cheese for fries being goddamn delicious.  Fat ass, lardo, heaven.  Never had it until moving to the Philly area.  It is no wonder so many lardos live here.  I used to think it was just the weather
    ....now I think it is mostly the badass nasty stuff they cook which tastes so good

Sammie Paradise