Options

Please help save the USPS!

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    postal service is outdated.  No need for everyday mail delivery anymore.  I prefer community mailboxes instead of door to door...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    I guess you can't please everyone.  Some people just like giving the finger to others I guess.  Too bad.

Thanks again, USPS and all postal workers. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    postal service is outdated.  No need for everyday mail delivery anymore.  I prefer community mailboxes instead of door to door...

The postal service still needs to deliver to community mailboxes, though. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,676

The postal service still needs to deliver to community mailboxes, though. 
    isnt it sad such an obvious point needs made?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613

brianlux said:
    Disclaimer: My wife and I are both Postal Service employees. And no, we didn’t meet at work like Jim and Pam. Well, we did, almost 15 years ago when we both worked at Lowe’s together. Anyways...

It both pains me and angers me to see some responses to this above. Letter mail, is still very important. Ask the old lady who is dying in the nursing home right now and her only contact with her family is through the USPS. Oh, that and the medicine she receives in the mail, that keeps her around long enough to hopefully see her family again before she dies. This is one story of millions upon millions who rely on USPS for that letter. That normalcy, that contact. A smiling face to look forward to every day. 
    We keep businesses alive with low rates and we deliver to EVERY address in the US, so we are also partners with UPS, Fed Ex and other delivery services who rely on us to deliver their product to keep America together. 
    USPS is an institution. Have bad choices been made. Hell yes. But it’s politics. It’s an organization smothered by politics. USPS employs more veterans than any other business, government or private sector. 
    Are there dog shit employees? Of course. Name a store, restaurant or any other large business that isn’t the same. Do you quit going to Home Depot because of the shitty employee in plumbing or do you appreciate the selection, the prices, and the good employees you come across in the store. 

And one last thing. I could go on forever. I love my job as a mailman and I have a sense of duty and honor in my job. Same as my service in the USAF. I am here for the American people regardless of their differences. Everyone is my customer. Everyone is important. I found out yesterday one of my supervisors at my station tested positive for Covid-19. A supervisor I am close with. Now half of the employees are going to be home in quarantine and myself along with others at my station will be pulling long hard, hot hours for the time being. Sacrificing our health and safety and the health and safety of our loved ones, not to mention time away from them. My wife has been working 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week and I will be doing the same. It’s our duty and our pleasure to serve Americans at this time and at all times. Our story is one of the 500,000 employees that the USPS employs, that have not stopped since Covid-19. 40+ deaths of USPS employees so far from coronavirus. Thank your front line essential workers from doctors and nurses to the delivery drivers. We are all in this together. Stay safe and healthy and help save the USPS. Please. ✌🏽

Edited to fix spelling errors. Lol

First off, 78, I want to thank you very much for your hard work in trying times.  In my view, postal workers are right there on the front line with those working in grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacys, etc., not to mention police, fire, and, of course, health care workers.  Your work is a part of what is keeping things afloat to the degree they are.  It is much appreciated.

You made a good point about the fact that shitty workers can be found in any industry.  Poor service can be found in any service business.  I do feel badly for Hedo and others who have had the misfortune of poor service.  I've had similar experiences in other situations.  But in general, the service we receive from USPS is one I find amazing, as illustrated by what I said about my good fortune in having had no problems using USPS for 8 plus years in my little book sales business and the almost 19 years I have worked at The Bookery.

On a slightly different note, I've been blessed and fortunate with several book sales this weekend.  I will be heading to our local post office tomorrow with  7, possibly 8 packages to mail with a book in each.  For my little business, this is phenomenal, especially with having to give up my regular job at The Bookery.  And I will feel good about giving my shipping business to USPS and feeling confident in their ability to handle these goods very well under extremely difficult situations. 

Thanks again, 78.  I hope you stay well and stay safe. 
    Thank you so much for your kind words and numerous forms of support. Karma or whatever you believe in is blessing you with more sales during these times. Thank you so much 

Meltdown99 said:
    Fair enough. Lol
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I guess you can't please everyone.  Some people just like giving the finger to others I guess.  Too bad.

Thanks again, USPS and all postal workers. 
    😀😀😀😀😀😊😊😊✌🏽✌🏽✌🏽✌🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I guess my karma will have to come via other means? :lol:
  • Options
    Yea. It will cost a lot more. 
  • Options
    Postal workers, tell your story! 

The note I received from The American Postal Workers Union included the following message and link:

The main priority of the APWU leadership in the past weeks has been the health and safety of postal workers and that of the public. Especially in these trying times, we recognize the extraordinary dedication of postal workers to fulfilling the Postal Service’s mission of “Binding the Nation together.”

Despite these extraordinary efforts, the press isn’t telling our story. For the most part, the politicians aren’t telling our story. But our union is committed to highlighting the extraordinary work we are doing every day to serve the public.

Postal workers are doing vital work keeping America moving in unprecedented times. We are moving medicines and vital supplies to people across the country. Many small businesses are relying on the Postal Service to receive and deliver mail and packages.

Postal workers are as concerned as any other frontline worker right now. We are doing hard jobs in difficult circumstances.

The country needs to hear our stories!

We are going to publish a selection of the stories that we receive to remind the public and decision-makers in Washington, D.C. how vital our work is.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
  • Options
    ^^^
    Brilliant!  Good job, John Oliver!

The section where he talks about the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act is particularly eye opening. 

This also explains why Trump is trying to kill the USPS- Amazon's Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post->  the WA Post is critical of the Trump admin-> Trump hates the USPS. 

And then Trump replaces the Postmaster General with one of his goons.  Great (sarcasm).

And John Stossell?  He can go pound sand.  What a creep.

Don't let Trump trash the USPS!

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    the USPS definitely serves a vital need.  I would definitely volunteer to be the part time vinyl/poster shipping and handling czar with them, though.  They have some challenges in that department. 
  • Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    I like the USPS!  We've sorta been going on ebay buying sprees like I've never seen us do before-and the packages come early most of the time- and intact. Last month one small package came that had a damaged corner, but it was encased in a clear bag with a note inside of that frm USPS, w/ an explanation and apology-contents complete, undamaged and delivered! I was very pleased and so was the seller.  I hope all USPS workers are safe and well-Thankyou for your loyal service and hard work. 
  • Options
    the USPS definitely serves a vital need.  I would definitely volunteer to be the part time vinyl/poster shipping and handling czar with them, though.  They have some challenges in that department. 
    Like i said......If they need someone to handle vinyl shipments i can be their advisor. I buy a lot of vinyl.  Usually media mail takes about 5 days to show up at my door.  7 at the most. 

Right now my last five purchases are averaging 23 days to reach me.  Some of those were first class.  Im not doing priority because sometimes it costs more than the album itself.  

I know there’s a lot going on with the USPS right now so i may have to cool it on buying records online for the time being :lol:
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Like i said......If they need someone to handle vinyl shipments i can be their advisor. I buy a lot of vinyl.  Usually media mail takes about 5 days to show up at my door.  7 at the most. 

Right now my last five purchases are averaging 23 days to reach me.  Some of those were first class.  Im not doing priority because sometimes it costs more than the album itself.  

I know there’s a lot going on with the USPS right now so i may have to cool it on buying records online for the time being :lol:

I said the same thing... and then I got an offer on a Acid Mothers Temple album I viewed on eBay and hit that "buy it now" button.  :lol:

• Options
    Kat said:

Yes, and it's a common occurrence these days.

Throw the bums out!

• Options
    brianlux said:

I said the same thing... and then I got an offer on a Acid Mothers Temple album I viewed on eBay and hit that "buy it now" button.  :lol:
    Yeahhhh i did the same thing this morning after my post.  Another month long wait here we go!!!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Yeahhhh i did the same thing this morning after my post.  Another month long wait here we go!!!

LOL.   Hopefully before Christmas anyway.  :lol: 

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,137
    I just bought an adorable US Mail Carrier costume on the USPS website to spend some cash in support of their organization. I don't know if my kid will be into wearing it for Halloween, if Halloween even happens this year, but I hope the purchase helps keep them in business.

• Options
    Jed said:
    I just bought an adorable US Mail Carrier costume on the USPS website to spend some cash in support of their organization. I don't know if my kid will be into wearing it for Halloween, if Halloween even happens this year, but I hope the purchase helps keep them in business.

Too cool!  I want one of those!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Coming right up, federal charges for impersonating a postal worker :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Coming right up, federal charges for impersonating a postal worker :lol: 

OH NO!!!
    :lol: 

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I did a speed read of the thread.  I didn't notice that anyone mentioned PJ's favorite way of delivery-- Mail Innovations.  (No disrespect to the postal employee here.)  If MI was slow before all this and people complained, it will probably take months for the PJ merch to arrive now.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:
    I did a speed read of the thread.  I didn't notice that anyone mentioned PJ's favorite way of delivery-- Mail Innovations.  (No disrespect to the postal employee here.)  If MI was slow before all this and people complained, it will probably take months for the PJ merch to arrive now.  
    Oh darn. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    Lackey is f'd or should be.  Just another criminal Trump associate.

• Options
    Smellyman said:
    Lackey is f'd or should be.  Just another criminal Trump associate.

Thanks for posting this! 

DeJoy is worse than a KillJoy.  Sen. Rosen's comments were spot on and Cohen's comments nailed it.

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    Oh darn. 
    Piss off, Dan! :lol:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I didn’t want to post on the forum anymore. I can’t trust myself and my moods but this is a topic very near and dear to my heart. 
    First of all, my wife and I both work for the USPS. We both take tremendous pride in our service. Yes it’s a job, but it’s a service to each and every American citizen regardless of social, economic, race, sexuality, or any other factor that makes us individuals. 
    Let me first tell you, everything Post Master General DeJoy has done was in full awareness to create chaos, and to slow down and disrupt mail delivery in regards to the election and the goal to bankrupt and privatize an American institution. The damage he has done will last far beyond the election. Every directive has in fact cost more money and his orders were given without any guidelines so no body knew or knows what to do. 
    I tell people, it would be the same as taking over Lowe’s and telling everyone, now we are selling TVs and electronic equipment. That’s it. No when, how or anything. So nobody knew what to do. Then he comes back and says never mind forget about selling TVs and other things. Once again no guidance, and after all the stores adjusted to start selling TVs. We are in a daily chaos caused by his blatant attempt to appease his orange bff. Might be the greatest way to explain, but just imagine working your job for years and someone reverses EVERYTHING with zero guidance. We are now delaying mail daily. 
    I see outgoing mail, Priority, Express and other time sensitive mail sitting. Prescriptions for veterans and others sitting for days before delivery. 
    I am in a constant battle with management because I took an oath, and those in power are destroying something I care deeply about. It has devastated me. I am physically sick daily because a free republic depends on a safe and efficient delivery system. 
    To watch the president bash us constantly and question our integrity is sickening. The election rolls are not a postal responsibility, but they have twisted the narrative to make it seem like we are in bed with criminals and trying to take down Trump. 
    99% of postal workers are honest, public servants. To be bashed by the president and his cult followers is a major slap in the face. I hate Trump and his supporters with every follicle on my body but I give the same great service to the people on my route that I give to those who hate him like I do. I have a service to provide to everybody regardless of political affiliation. 
    And this constant bullshit in the media and by those about the post office losing money. Is the park service losing money? Is the forest service losing money? No because they are services for American people. So is the USPS. It’s in our name. Yet we generate more revenue than either of those agencies combined. 
    Don’t fool yourself. Trump and his associates see the value of privatizing. Once privatization goes onto effect they can pay their employees minimum wage and charge for every service that is now a free service. Hold mail, changing your address, shit even delivery to your residence. We are the ones who keep FedEx and UPS rates in check by charging lower rates. 
    Please think also of all the internet commerce that relays on cheap shipping rates. Etsy and eBay and countless others use the USPS to ship their goods at a good fair rate and That keeps costs low for them and the buyer. 
    First class mail has dropped. Yes. But what we provide on a day to day basis and continued to provide through Covid and all other disasters. Not to mention weather, dogs, gun battles and every other day to day occurance that has happened to me in my 12 year career. We were and are front line essential workers way before Covid. 
    Please stand strong and make your voice heard to your representatives. Save the USPS. Not the Trump/DeJoy abortion but the one that keeps us all connected and together as Americans. Keeps veterans like myself in a good paying job that brings pride and a continued service to my fellow Americans. 
    Say no to a bail out and yes to a permanent solution so the USPS can quit being used as a political tug of war every election season. 
    Thank you and I hope to continue to serve you as a honorable and dedicated public servant for the remainder of my career.