NCAA College Football -

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yeah, I'm not sure why he answered the question that he did.  Seems Joe might be an idiot as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Yeah, I'm not sure why he answered the question that he did.  Seems Joe might be an idiot as well.
    Fucking Athens education... right @Wobbie?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    @darwinstheory

This is for your special viewing tonight...
    CollegeFootballTalk : Want to relive the USC-Notre Dame ‘Bush Push’ classic? You can tonight, on NBCSN
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Ugghhh....that was the worst! That game was HUUUUGGGE around here back then. I had just become a vendor (delivery guy) in South Bend about a year prior and all the places around town were stoked for it. Well, sans the stupid U of M fans. I remember there being a lot of talk about ND growing the grass extra long to slow down the speedy USC. The talk of Leinart and his BS ballroom dancing class. The return of the infamous ND green jerseys. They hype was wild!

Then...the 4th down pass over Ambrose Wooden leading to a 61 yard gain was the beginning of the end. Shortly after, was the missed penalty when the gun chewing arrogant Pete called a timeout...without actually having any timeouts left. That should have been a 15 yard penalty. Then the was the obvious no-call Bush Push that should have effectively ended the game as well. As it were, that was a fantastic game that, had it been called correctly, would have meant there very well may have never been the GREAT championship game between Texas & SC. 

Fuck Reggie. Fuck Leinart. Fuck Pete. Fuck SC.....and one extra off topic fuck em to the Wolverines.

And one more F-U to F Me for making me relive that tragic game.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Happy to help buddy!

(I agree it was a crazy game and that Matt pushed Bush in.  I loved it!)
    This was the first of many USC ND games I attended....Brooks and Bettis ran wild and we still could have won, if Rob Johnson didn't suck quite so much.
    https://youtu.be/rlYxUX0NCpI

I think the Big10 and Pac12 going to conference only games is the first step in what will be a lost season.
    Really sucks to take Bama and especially ND off from the schedule.  Don't give two shits about fill in game New Mexico State.  
    I realize Bama wouldn't have likely had too tough a time beating USC but being in that game is big for the kids 
    Playing Notre Dame every year....well, SC-ND is the biggest non conference game in football.
    Just ask Google!

Losing the ability to play this game is a big deal to SC fans.  We love beating the Irish, and loathe losing to the Irish...but it is just a much a part of every season as playing teams on our division.

Waaaah.

I think the Big10 and Pac12 going to conference only games is the first step in what will be a lost season.
    Really sucks to take Bama and especially ND off from the schedule.  Don't give two shits about fill in game New Mexico State.  
    I realize Bama wouldn't have likely had too tough a time beating USC but being in that game is big for the kids 
    Playing Notre Dame every year....well, SC-ND is the biggest non conference game in football.
    Just ask Google!

Losing the ability to play this game is a big deal to SC fans.  We love beating the Irish, and loathe losing to the Irish...but it is just a much a part of every season as playing teams on our division.

Waaaah.

So that decimates ND schedule from the start.  If other conferences follow suit,  what's left for the Irish? Academies only?
    Just ask Google!

Waaaah.

I agree, and it is a huge matchup for Irish fans as well. It is usually the furthest east the Trojans will travel every other year, and only in October. Apparently games in September get to be too hot and November weather is apparently unbearable for them. 

I know that most of the college football world are loving the prospect of ND being the only major school left out of playing at all. I just don't see it working out that way. My guess is that ND would align with the ACC for the season. This, of course, would be due to them being aligned with the ACC in other sports. Another part of me thinks they may align with the B1G for the season for geographic purposes. All that said, I don't think there is any ND football this year. Or any college football. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Not saying these games are happening, but:

Iowa and Iowa St. won't play but Iowa can travel to NJ and play Rutgers?

South Carolina can't play Clemson but can travel and play Texas A & M ? 

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    cutz said:
    Not saying these games are happening, but:

Iowa and Iowa St. won't play but Iowa can travel to NJ and play Rutgers?

South Carolina can't play Clemson but can travel and play Texas A & M ? 

Yeah, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people around here if SC can't play Clemson. I wouldn't mind it though, given the way they've kicked our ass the last 6 years.

Also, Florida-Florida State and Georgia-Georgia Tech.
    It also has to do with money - without fans in the stands Ohio State or USC are not going to want to pay whatever patsies they have lined up as paid whipping posts.
    (Bowling Green and Buffalo for OSU, New Mexico State for USC)
    Those two schools are just examples as the traditional power leaders from their conferences.
    It also has to do with money - without fans in the stands Ohio State or USC are not going to want to pay whatever patsies they have lined up as paid whipping posts.
    (Bowling Green and Buffalo for OSU, New Mexico State for USC)
    Those two schools are just examples as the traditional power leaders from their conferences.
    To be fair,  Ohio State schedules MAC schools as a service to those schools.  The television revenue from that game will cover the football program for BGSU, Toledo,  etc. for the year.  The money is from the television,  less so from the stands. 
    Ohio State doesn't get premium television money any time they play?  Playing shitburg directional state doesn't help that, I wouldn't think.

Ohio State doesn't get premium television money any time they play?  Playing shitburg directional state doesn't help that, I wouldn't think.

Yes they do get top dollar regardless, that's the point.  MAC schools get a split of that premium money because Ohio State schedules them.  It pays their football budget. This is part of an agreement in state of Ohio university system.
    Well, my point still holds I think but I didn't know that and explains why they pick local patsies vs. other patsies.

Well, my point still holds I think but I didn't know that and explains why they pick local patsies vs. other patsies.

Hey at least there’s a purpose.  The entire SEC plays an FCS patsy the week before rivalry week, in late Nov.  OSU closed with State, Penn State and finally that team up north.  
    edited July 2020
    mrussel1 said:

Hey at least there’s a purpose.  The entire SEC plays an FCS patsy the week before rivalry week, in late Nov.  OSU closed with State, Penn State and finally that team up north.  
    Yeah I only picked them as the traditional big boys in the conference.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I remember when the conference tourneys for basketball we’re going to be played without fans and then a day or two later were canceled completely.  Canceling non conference games is the first step in canceling entirely. 
    I hope you are wrong but I don't see how they can play a football season and agree with you
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    mrussel1 said:

Yes they do get top dollar regardless, that's the point.  MAC schools get a split of that premium money because Ohio State schedules them.  It pays their football budget. This is part of an agreement in state of Ohio university system.

it’s also a recruiting tool for MAC schools....”TheOSU doesn’t want you?.....come here and at least you can play in the horseshoe.”

BTW, TheOSU will lose to a MAC school, one of these years. 
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    the whole “conference only” thing is so the one conference can make decisions for their schools i.e. so the SEC is not arguing with the ACC about whether or not to hold a game. I still see state govt vs. state govt as an issue.

football ain’t happening this fall.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

it’s also a recruiting tool for MAC schools....”TheOSU doesn’t want you?.....come here and at least you can play in the horseshoe.”

No time soon, not with the current roster and recruits.  
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

Will it be more or less humiliating than when Michigan lost to Appalachian State? :rofl:
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

Will it be more or less humiliating than when Michigan lost to Appalachian State? :rofl:
    Mmmmm...I love that game.
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

Haha.  What I thought of as well.  I only wish Shitbaugh had been the coach then.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    one part of the leagues saying only conference games is they don't want to/can't really pay the buy games for those small schools without fans. sucks for the smaller schools as they depend on that revenue for their athletic budgets.  it's gonna be a long ass fall if there is no college or nfl football.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Big 10 and Pac-12 are done for the fall.  But sounds like Big 12, ACC and SEC want to move forward.  This is going to be a mess...
    Big 10 and Pac-12 are done for the fall.  But sounds like Big 12, ACC and SEC want to move forward.  This is going to be a mess...
    That means no real champion.  I don't know how I feel about this whole thing.  I think I'd prefer a January start of the season in totality, with a real champ.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    mrussel1 said:
    That means no real champion.  I don't know how I feel about this whole thing.  I think I'd prefer a January start of the season in totality, with a real champ.
    Delaying the season to January or the spring won't work.  Top prospects aren't going to play with the draft coming up and trying to have 2 full seasons in a 7-8 month span isn't very reasonable.  This sucks.