The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    This is fun to watch.  Too bad Tiger isn’t commenting the entire round.  That would be fun.
    I liked how they did it. The whole round would've been a bit of overkill. 

Yeah that was fun yesterday. Hard to believe this shit's been going on for a month now.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    This is fun to watch.  Too bad Tiger isn’t commenting the entire round.  That would be fun.

Yeah that was fun yesterday. Hard to believe this shit's been going on for a month now.

For sure.  I didn't realize they were going to keep checking in with him.

This is nuts.  I just want to golf.  Small concern compared to others but damnit I want to golf.

For sure.  I didn't realize they were going to keep checking in with him.

This is nuts.  I just want to golf.  Small concern compared to others but damnit I want to golf.

At this point we‘be missed or are missing golf, March Madness, the start of baseball and the NBA playoffs among others. 

I can safely say golf is the thing I miss most and it’s not as close as I would’ve expected. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Looks like the PGA Tour will resume June 11 with the Charles Schwab tournament.  No spectators.  I'll take it.  Better than nothing.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    bbiggs said:
    Looks like the PGA Tour will resume June 11 with the Charles Schwab tournament.  No spectators.  I'll take it.  Better than nothing.

It's good that they have a plan in place and I hope it can happen but even without fans, there are so many people involved with putting on a golf tournament.  Hard to see it happening right now but who the hell knows.  Things were somewhat normal 6 weeks ago and look where we are now....things can change quickly.
    ^ Agreed.  They're supposed to announce it this week.  We'll see if it comes to fruition.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    bbiggs said:

It's good that they have a plan in place and I hope it can happen but even without fans, there are so many people involved with putting on a golf tournament.  Hard to see it happening right now but who the hell knows.  Things were somewhat normal 6 weeks ago and look where we are now....things can change quickly.
    Yeah, I have a tough time seeing this. The travel involved for so many people and like you say, just the people involved with putting it on, I have a tough time seeing someone not getting it then where are we?

Who knows...maybe we are getting there but I have no trust in anything the government says.  They want to reopen but there is literally no plan on testing or how to do so. 
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I knew it..Greenbriar taken off schedule indefinitely..moving it to fall was a killer..and now the virus has finished it off,,shame.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

I knew it..Greenbriar taken off schedule indefinitely..moving it to fall was a killer..and now the virus has finished it off,,shame.
    That sucks.  I like the course and the tournament.  Didn't love a par 3 as a finishing hole, but it did at some excitement if the leader board was bunched up.

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    I wonder if the Greenbrier was canceled due to the resort being needed for "continuity of government planning?"  (cue the conspiracy music)
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    It will hurt White Sulpher Springs.I dare say 75% of that town works at the hotel and all the shoppes really depend on that week..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

ddeschler said:
    I wonder if the Greenbrier was canceled due to the resort being needed for "continuity of government planning?"  (cue the conspiracy music)

Justice was and is being targeted for tax fraud, I think.  Richest man in WV
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

For anyone that is a fan of both the Wire and golf, this is fun.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/no-laying-up/trap-draw-golf-podcast#/

IL Gov. announced today golf is coming back May 1.  My exploration of the Indiana golf scene will soon be coming to an end.  I found some good courses over there that I hadn't played before.  So I guess that was a positive side note to this (inter)national ordeal.
    ddeschler said:
    IL Gov. announced today golf is coming back May 1.  My exploration of the Indiana golf scene will soon be coming to an end.  I found some good courses over there that I hadn't played before.  So I guess that was a positive side note to this (inter)national ordeal.
    What courses did you like in IN?
    Harrison Hills, Twin Bridges, Battle Ground.  Playing Purdue (Ackerman-Allen course) next week.  Pete Dye did a renovation on it in 2016, looking forward to seeing the changes.  Battle Ground was a nice surprise.  Lovely classic course, with updates by Tim Liddy, $15 walking rate was crazy. 
    Still closed in PA. Hopefully soon. They are open in Delaware but only for Delaware residents. Bastards. 

Tiger vs Phil with Peyton and Brady should be fun next month
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Still closed in PA. Hopefully soon. They are open in Delaware but only for Delaware residents. Bastards. 

Tiger vs Phil with Peyton and Brady should be fun next month
    Just wish it was Tiger/Brady so it would be The GOATS against the second fiddles.
    ddeschler said:

At least there was some good news with yesterday's announcement from Pritzker.  Guessing it will be pre-pay online and then 1 person per cart or you walk.  Saw that some states are doing longer intervals between tee times like 15 mins.  Whatever the restrictions are I can't wait to get the fuck out of my house and get out there soon.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited April 2020
    Irish gov't making an announcement on May 5th. People hopeful they will reopen courses as the restrictions begin to ease. There's talk that it will be member's only to start and take it from there. Things run slightly differently over here. There isn't the distinction between private/public courses. All courses have a membership and also allow green fees, which is great because you can play any course in the country. The only one I can think of that's completely private is Hog's Head. Its members are almost entirely American.

Post edited by eddiec on
    eddiec said:
    Irish gov't making an announcement on May 5th. People hopeful they will reopen courses as the restrictions begin to ease. There's talk that it will be member's only to start and take it from there. Things run slightly differently over here. There isn't the distinction between private/public courses. All courses have a membership and also allow green fees, which is great because you can play any course in the country. The only one I can think of that's completely private is Hog's Head. It's members are almost entirely American.

That’s good.  The golf restrictions seem silly but I guess some people ruin for everyone when they don’t follow the rules. 
    eddiec said:
    Irish gov't making an announcement on May 5th. People hopeful they will reopen courses as the restrictions begin to ease. There's talk that it will be member's only to start and take it from there. Things run slightly differently over here. There isn't the distinction between private/public courses. All courses have a membership and also allow green fees, which is great because you can play any course in the country. The only one I can think of that's completely private is Hog's Head. Its members are almost entirely American.

How it should be. Country club golf culture sucks. Imagine if you could play pine valley, Augusta or cypress?
    I joined a private club to be able to avoid tee times and play rounds in under 3.5 hours (walking).   The course is nice but not anything special.  If it was opened up to the public at off peak times I would never join because off peak times are when I can play quick rounds.   For a course though that is a marvel it would be nice though to open up one or two days a week max and have opportunities at least to get on Augusta or Pine Valley.  It is a shame and why I don’t give a shit about Bobby Jones.  
    ddeschler said:

And in true Illinois fashion, they make it so difficult.  Only twosomes and no carts of any kind.  Can't even rent a push cart?!?  Kinda ridiculous.  Thousands of people in and out of grocery stores all day long with carts but you can't drive a golf cart by yourself to play golf.  Electric carts and pull carts could easily be disinfected after each round.  This state is the worst.  
    Push/ pull carts are virtually nowhere to be found unless you want to pay some asshole hundreds of dollars on ebay.  Unreal. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Three provinces in Canada have allowed the opening of golf courses. Very sadly I don’t live in any of them 
    Looks like golf in PA is open on Friday. Hoping to play at least a couple times this weekend. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I played the Purdue (Ackerman-Allen) course yesterday.  I thought it was great, and I liked it even better than their other course (Kampen).  It's on a better piece of land than Kampen, more rolling and tree lined.  More visually appealing.  A lot of land movement, even in the fairway.  Tees are close to greens, so it's very walkable.  The 2016 Pete Dye renovation has added a lot of interest and difficulty, especially around the greens.  The greens were firm and extremely fast.  The $45 twilight rate was quite a bargain. 
    Your Juggler has 36 holes lined up for this weekend!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    For the first time in 3+weeks I was able to takes some swings at my local golf range. We practiced social distancing even though there were only 4 guys total that were practicing.

My swing was STILL there as I stayed calm and confident in my stroke. Now comes the challenge of the next time will it all still be there. BTW it was a absolutely beautiful day to be playing golf here in West Palm Beach.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)