New PJ book....

KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
edited December 2019 in The Porch

Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense https://www.amazon.com/dp/150136068X/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_rtg-DbV7FN5P5

..... In 10 months.
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
Post edited by KV4053 on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    Neat!

• Hardcover: 400 pages
    • Publisher: Bloomsbury Academic (October 1, 2020)

There has never been a band like Pearl Jam. The Seattle quintet has recorded ten albums; sold 85 million records; played a thousand shows, in fifty countries; and had five different albums reach number one. But Pearl Jam's story is about much more than music. Through passion, integrity, and sheer force of will, they transcended several eras, and shaped the way a generation thought about music.

Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense is the first full-length biography of America's preeminent band, from Ten to Let's Play Two. A study of their role in history--from Operation Desert Storm to the Dixie Chicks; "Jeremy" to Columbine; Kurt Cobain to Chris Cornell; Ticketmaster to Trump--Not for You describes the band's origins and evolution, over thirty years of culture. It starts with their founding, and the eruption of grunge, in 1991; continues through the golden age (Vs., Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield); their middle period (Binaural, Riot Act); and the more divisive recent catalog. Along the way, it considers the band's idealism, activism, and impact, from “Better Man” to Body of War and the West Memphis Three.

More than the first critical study, Not for You is a letter to a famously obsessive fan base, in the spirit of Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch. It's an old-fashioned--if ambivalent--appreciation; a reflection on pleasure and guilt; and an essay on the nature of nostalgia, adolescence, and adulthood. Partly social history; partly autobiography; and entirely outspoken, discursive, and droll, Not for You follows Pearl Jam's odyssey, from the 1990s to the present.

About the Author

Ronen Givony is the founder and producer of New York's Wordless Music series and orchestra (wordlessmusic.org), and the founding music director of the concert venue Le Poisson Rouge. A native of South Florida, he has worked for Nonesuch Records and Lincoln Center, and received his bachelor's and master's degrees in English literature from Yale University. He is the author of Jawbreaker's 24 Hour Revenge Therapy (2017), part of Bloomsbury's 33 1/3 series.

Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense Hardcover – October 1, 2020 by Ronen Givony (Author)

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Fit more song titles in the title plz
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Fit more song titles in the title plz

Alright :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    edited April 2020
    That book was $120.00 last night when I checked. Now it's 25. I wonder what happened 
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 217
    MERCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sloveniaslovenia Posts: 102
    Does anyone know where to get a copy of the picture on the cover of that book to put in a nice frame?  I've been looking for that picture to hang up for awhile now.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    slovenia said:
    Does anyone know where to get a copy of the picture on the cover of that book to put in a nice frame?  I've been looking for that picture to hang up for awhile now.

Lance Mercer, no?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    slovenia said:
    Here you go:

Cost between $600 and $3000 depending on what size you want.

• sloveniaslovenia Posts: 102
    MF117973 said:
    slovenia said:
    Here you go:

Thanks.  That's not cheap. $600 for letter size.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Who is Ronen Givony? What's his bio?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Who is Ronen Givony? What's his bio?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/150136068X

About the Author

Ronen Givony is the author of 24 Hour Revenge Therapy (or, The Strange Death of Selling Out), part of Bloomsbury's 33 1/3 series. He is the founder of New York's Wordless Music series and orchestra (wordlessmusic.org)--which the Village Voice named the city's “Best Moderately Snooty Concert Series"--and a contributor of liner notes for Nonesuch, Constellation, Thrill Jockey, and Temporary Residence. A native of South Florida, he has worked as a producer for concert venues and music festivals in the US and abroad.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    slovenia said:
    MF117973 said:
    slovenia said:
    Here you go:

Thanks.  That's not cheap. $600 for letter size.
    I know. I went to see the gallery show of these photos at Morrison Hotel in NYC. They were amazing. There were a few that I really wanted. But they were really only spectacular in the larger sizes. I almost bought one on impulse - it was over $1000. I decided to go home and think about it overnight. I ended up going online and buying the Lance Mercer book instead. Definitely not the same, but I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on the large photo. But if you want to spend the money, they are amazing. 
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Does anyone know if this an official biography at all or just an outsiders viewpoint? 
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 679
    demetrios said:
    First biography ever written about Pearl Jam? What about Five Against One?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    edited May 2020
    Does anyone know if this an official biography at all or just an outsiders viewpoint? 

I would highly doubt its authorized or has a direct contribution from the 5 band members.  I'd still be interested in reading it if its halfway decent though.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense is the first full-length biography of America's preeminent band, from Ten to Let's Play Two to Gigaton.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I feel like i know everything and at this point it's more about the author's journey.  Nothing wrong with that at all, but we just know too much lol
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited May 2020
    i can't imagine any book that comes out will tell me anything i don't already know. unless ed writes a book called "Drummers and Waffles: The Saga Behind The Kit". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i can't imagine any book that comes out will tell me anything i don't already know. unless ed writes a book called "Drummers and Waffles: The Saga Behind The Kit". 

I would read that.

This title will be released on October 15, 2020.

Win a copy of ‘Not for You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense’ https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/pearl-jam-book/

If you’re the kind of person that spends their life wishing that they were there to witness the golden era of Seattle grunge, this book is for you. Not for You: Pearl Jam & The Present Tense is the full-length biography of Pearl Jam and set to arrive on the 30th anniversary of the band’s inception.

The biography is penned by author Ronan Givony, a self-professed Pearl Jam tragic and total music nerd. He penned the very excellent dissection Jawbreaker’s 24 Hour Revenge Therapy.

“As far as Pearl Jam people go, I’m fairly middle of the road… it’s almost common: meeting otherwise sensible people, who have seen 100 Pearl Jam shows; who take entire months off work, to catch every show, anywhere in the world; who can tell you what the band performed, and where, on any given day,” explains Givony.

The book is a tribute to the Seattle grunge legends cult fan base. It’s part social history, part autobiography.”Not for You is the first full-length treatment of Pearl Jam’s odyssey and importance in the culture, from the ’90s to the present.”

To celebrate the release of the book, we’re giving away 10 copies to ten lucky readers. All you need to do is let us know in 25 words or less what your favourite Pearl Jam song is and why.

Let us know what your favourite Pearl Jam song is and why to win a copy of Not for You: Pearl Jam & The Present Tense?

Competition runs from September 21 2020 12pm AEST to November 30 2020 12pm AEST. Only Australian residents are eligible.

• JedJed New York City Posts: 1,134
    Only Australian residents are eligible!  

WHHHHHYYYYYY??????

Ronen Givony Interview

How did you come to this subject for a book? What made the topic so interesting to you?

Speaking as a child of the '90s: I grew up, as many did, listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and their peers. Unlikely and embarrassing as it now sounds, my worldview was very much shaped by watching MTV in the early '90s, and seeing Eddie Vedder, writing "PRO-CHOICE!!!" on his arm, during MTV Unplugged; performing "Rockin' in the Free World" with Neil Young, on the Video Music Awards; or offering, perversely, "Not for You," on Saturday Night Live, with a K on his t-shirt, in 1994.

It always seemed a bit unusual to me that there were something like fifteen different books about Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, and a dozen or so books about Metallica, and even a handful about Green Day, and Jane's Addiction—but, aside from a controversial biography from the late '90s, and a coffee table book, from 2011, there was next to nothing about Pearl Jam, and their unique contribution to history over the last thirty years.