The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    Seems to be that way for us here in FL too
    Even with the new shut down?

Your governor is a fool
    Yep, deemed as "essential" for outdoor recreation/mental health. Playing 18 tomorrow and Saturday. Walking or 1 person per cart only, no touching the flagsticks, no rakes in the bunkers. Carts washed and sanitized after each round.
    I can't wait to golf again. I've got a simulator that I've been using in my garage. Optishot. It's just got a sensor on the mat that let's you see your shot on the connected laptop. Not the most accurate thing in the world. It works better off the tee but, of course, the tee flies off quite often which is annoying. 

They are saying the virus can also be spread by breathing and talking and that mask are really helpful in preventing. I'm wondering if that actually makes the stay at home guidelines stricter...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Hey real quick.  Not sure if it was mentioned or not but can't they still do golf live?  Sure they won't have a gallery but you could pull it off.

Too weird?

I figured it would be more for people to try for some semblance of real life.

Just curious on what y'all think?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    bflynn1 said:

Your governor is a fool

Uhh yeah that's crazy.  I love golf, but everything should be shut down.  Crazy to me how poorly some of these states are handling this.  But not at all surprising with that fucking idiot governor in Florida...he's prob keeping courses open in case the orange fuck wants to go down to Mar-A-Lago to play a round.  
    edited April 2020
    bflynn1 said:

Your governor is a fool

Uhh yeah that's crazy.  I love golf, but everything should be shut down.  Crazy to me how poorly some of these states are handling this.  But not at all surprising with that fucking idiot governor in Florida...he's prob keeping courses open in case the orange fuck wants to go down to Mar-A-Lago to play a round.  
    How about the Georgia governor saying he just heard that infected people showing no symptoms can still pass it on to others? DeSantis said something similar the other day. These people are criminals and their actions are going to get countless people killed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited April 2020

$1,500 in greens fees on deposit in Ireland for July.  This sucks (relatively speaking).  My goal was to practice and get better before going and that clearly is out the window now anyway. 

Private clubs should be able to stay open so that people can walk the course. No carts.  No bathroom. No food, no beer.  Limit on two people per group.  By 20 minute interval only. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    bflynn1 said:

Your governor is a fool

How about the Georgia governor saying he just heard that infected people showing no symptoms can still pass it on to others? DeSantis said something similar the other day. These people are criminals and their actions are going to get countless people killed.
    It is absurd.  It seems to be one party that denies everything until it is too blatant that they cannot.  
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    I saw an msn.com article today about Mass. residents arrested for going into Rhode Island to golf.  Crazy times we're living in.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    Yeah,  as much as I would love to sneak onto a course I wouldn’t do it.  If caught the police are not going to be happy.   They are scared enough as it is of taking with people who might have its. If I was cop I would fine someone as much as I could if they weren’t allowed to be on the course.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    The Open Championship cancelled for first time since WWII. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Open cancelled, but:

That is too bad.  The Open should have been the last one to be canceled. 
    This would be Masters week.  Man, that hurts to think about.  I look forward to this week as much as, if not more than, any other in sports. 
    Will be weird seeing how the course looks in November...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm guessing they wanted to do it in November so the bermuda grass would be dormant and the rye would be back.  Would be weird having the Masters with gnarly bermuda rough.  Course would play much different.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    ddeschler said:
    I'm guessing they wanted to do it in November so the bermuda grass would be dormant and the rye would be back.  Would be weird having the Masters with gnarly bermuda rough.  Course would play much different.
    But will the rye be back? They overseed in the fall for it to be crazy green during the season and especially in the spring.  With how baked out it gets when it's closed, I am super interested to see what it looks like in the fall.  I am sure the majority of the season it looks pretty similar, but would imagine it will be quite different around the time it opens rather than closer to when it shuts down.
    Weather in IL has been really nice as of late.  I would have definitely played at least 3-5 rounds of golf by now.  Instead, that total is zero and will remain there for quite some time.  Health is first and foremost, but to gripe about a first world problem, not being able to golf blows.
    I saw an old guy in a public park this morning, riding in his golf cart with his clubs on the back.  Looked like he was preparing to hit some balls down an empty soccer field.  Not a bad idea, and probably as good as it gets at the moment.
    Golf Magazine article: "Augusta pre-empts part of that process by “scalping” the bermuda, cutting it down to nearly nothing. That preps the ground to undergo an intensive ryegrass overseeding to get ready for member play in October."
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Shot 82 today. My 8th straight day of playing. Looking forward to keeping the streak going tomorrow 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    JojoRice said:
    Shot 82 today. My 8th straight day of playing. Looking forward to keeping the streak going tomorrow 
    Holy crap!  Nice round and even more impressive streak of 8 days playing!  I wish I could play. 

KF Tour player Nick Hardy was quoted in our local news yesterday: “I’ve got some ideas. I’m actually going to head to Indiana to play a few times next week.”  If he can be that open about circumventing the Illinois shelter-in-place order, I don't feel too bad about going there to play sometime soon as well.
    My county allows no golf in Indiana.  I am too busy to golf right now anyway with work but would feel a little guilty driving to another county to play.  
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    bbiggs said:
    JojoRice said:
    Holy crap!  Nice round and even more impressive streak of 8 days playing!  I wish I could play. 

Thanks! Yesterday was my 10th consecutive day playing. Looking like weather might put my streak to a stop. Plus my body could use the rest. I walk when I play. No carts. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    MOVING DAY!  Can’t wait to settle in for the aftern....DAMMIT
    It is so depressing, isn't it?

I am enjoying the old replays though. 05 last night. That chip on 16....just perfect. Even the wife was impressed watching that last night. Thing of beauty!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I watched 2005 and wonder how Tiger won that thing.  Dimarco lost it more than Tiger won.  
    2019 final round of Masters is on CBS right now. 
    This is fun to watch.  Too bad Tiger isn’t commenting the entire round.  That would be fun.
    Molanari about to be on 12! This is when it gets real 
    Get chills to this day