Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Call me biased or whatever but there’s basically 1 song id put as Tier 2. —- Never Destination.  And even that one is better than the usual fun, fast rockers like SuperSonic, Johnny Guitar, Let the Records Play. 

So impressed with this album.  
    Agreed. It’s definitely a song in the vein (fun, fast rockers) of those you listed, and I also think its better than any of those. And Take The Long Road is a kind of a short, take-it-or-leave-it rocker (Big Wave, Get Right, etc.) and I’m taking it. Great Mike solo. There was a point in my life where that’s all I asked for from a song. I guess I’m still at that point. Good. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Listened to this a lot over the last couple of days. Split into 4 tiers of 3 songs each. Was tough.  At the moment the ones I love the most are:

Quick Escape
    Super blood
    alright

the least:
    never destination
    comes then goes
    retrograde

Overall id day I love 10.5/12. Retrograde I’m not feeling. Comes then goes I enjoy 1 every 3 times I listen. These are so far becoming the skip songs.

And while many disagree, I Love buckle up. To each their own.

Your least three are my favorites lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    tbergs said:
    A few other things to note; I really wish that jam at the end of Who Ever Said carried on for at least 30 seconds longer. That song ends and you're like, damn! Also, the end of Alright has me really confused. It seems like it all of a sudden ends mid verse. I checked the lyrics page in the CD and it seems it doesn't list that last line by Eddie. The last lyrics it shows seemed to be a more logical end. Love the song, but I feel like it got cut off and then you roll in to 7OC which at first sounds like a continuation. 
    The last jam on Who Ever Said - I totally agree with you.  Reminds me of the end of Habit and then cuts off.  The way things are going now, if they did a sequel to the end of Habit at the end of Who ever said, I'm sure someone would have created a thread blasting the band for doing so.

I love Alright!  In the same vein as Pendulum.  My guess is this will be the opener of most shows.  I think he wanted a dramatic ending like with "The End" .
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    It is funny, the opposite of shiny new toy seems to happening as I continue to listen to this album. It continues to grow. Even Never Destination and Take the Long Way, which I did not mind at first, but wasn't really overly into have grown on me to the point where I am not just listening to them when I listen to the album consecutively, but also seeking them out on their own sometimes. There really is not a bad song on this album, and a lot of very very good songs. This is my 3rd favourite PJ album behind Ten and VS. Soundwise it almost feels like a bridge between Vitalogy and No Code. Couldn't be happier with it.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    JPPJ84 said:
    10-11-12 are so goddamn beautiful I could listen to them all day!
    I feel the opposite. I fall asleep before river cross ever comes on!!!! 

I’ll take the first 9 and you can have the last 3, deal?
    Whaat?! I agree with Jose, so beautiful :) don’t you like the more quiet ones in general or is it just these ones? Or is it too many quiet ones at once?
    I generally like the rockers more but not always. I LOVE alright and buckle up. This one (retrograde) is just not great. And 3 in a row? Wtf? Lullaby and goodnight! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    Listened to this a lot over the last couple of days. Split into 4 tiers of 3 songs each. Was tough.  At the moment the ones I love the most are:

Quick Escape
    Super blood
    alright

the least:
    never destination
    comes then goes
    retrograde

Overall id day I love 10.5/12. Retrograde I’m not feeling. Comes then goes I enjoy 1 every 3 times I listen. These are so far becoming the skip songs.

You day drinking again?

:P

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Quick Escape
    Super blood
    alright

the least:
    never destination
    comes then goes
    retrograde

We are the same person. Bur replace Alright with Who Ever Said or DoTC
    Yeah those 2 could easily move in and out of that top 3.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    JPPJ84 said:

Whaat?! I agree with Jose, so beautiful :) don’t you like the more quiet ones in general or is it just these ones? Or is it too many quiet ones at once?
    I generally like the rockers more but not always. I LOVE alright and buckle up. This one (retrograde) is just not great. And 3 in a row? Wtf? Lullaby and goodnight! ;)
     hey, maybe the last songs are just the quiet bridge into Gigaton 2! A girl can dream, right?! ;)
    man I‘m so happy with this album =)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:

Quick Escape
    Super blood
    alright

the least:
    never destination
    comes then goes
    retrograde

You day drinking again?

:P

Not yet.  Soon
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Jebus4uJebus4u Posts: 5
    JV267526 said:
    It is funny, the opposite of shiny new toy seems to happening as I continue to listen to this album. It continues to grow. Even Never Destination and Take the Long Way, which I did not mind at first, but wasn't really overly into have grown on me to the point where I am not just listening to them when I listen to the album consecutively, but also seeking them out on their own sometimes. There really is not a bad song on this album, and a lot of very very good songs. This is my 3rd favourite PJ album behind Ten and VS. Soundwise it almost feels like a bridge between Vitalogy and No Code. Couldn't be happier with it.
    Totally agree. This is a fantastic album and seems to get better with every listen. It’s so well laid out. Reminds me a lot of No Code (my favourite album). It might even end up becoming my favourite. Quick Escape and SBWM are going to be amazing live. 
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    I think the first 7 songs are really strong. Take The Long Way, imo is not as strong, but still good. Buckle Up is weird, but not to the point where I'm skipping it. It'll grow on me, I'm sure. And, I think the last three songs are really strong. I'm thrilled with this album, and can't wait to see how they sound live.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Jebus4u said:
    Totally agree. This is a fantastic album and seems to get better with every listen. It’s so well laid out. Reminds me a lot of No Code (my favourite album). It might even end up becoming my favourite. Quick Escape and SBWM are going to be amazing live. 
    No code comparison is exactly where I’m it.  I think at this point it’s even better than no code. Time will tell.  But I’m digging it a lot.  Great album.  Exceeded all my expectations.  

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    RP112579 said:
    I think the first 7 songs are really strong. Take The Long Way, imo is not as strong, but still good. Buckle Up is weird, but not to the point where I'm skipping it. It'll grow on me, I'm sure. And, I think the last three songs are really strong. I'm thrilled with this album, and can't wait to see how they sound live.
    I agree about Buckle Up. It is probably my least favorite on the album for now. That could change. But right now I keep going back to listen to Retrograde over and over. There is something about that song that gets me every time.

• Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 246
    edited March 2020
    The definitive report card. In order....

A’s: SBWM, DOTC, Comes then Goes
    B’s: Never Destination, Who Ever Said, Quick Escape, Seven O’ Clock, Take the long way, Alright
    C’s: River Cross, Retrograde
    D   Buckle Up 

Only one D on the entire album and no F’s.  

The two songs that I think I will warm up more to over time are Retrograde and Alright.  

I think Never Destination will be the song that fans embrace more once they hear it live. 

I’d give the whole album a B + and put it about 6th-7th overall. Pretty damn good showing.  

Post edited by Hankj25 on
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • rahjiimrahjiim Posts: 120
    RP112579 said:
    This is also where I am. I've been listening since last Saturday on repeat without skipping, and buckle up is the the only song I didn't like on first listening. While I'm somehow getting used to it, it's still my least favourite. But I absolutely love the other 11.
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84 said:

hey, maybe the last songs are just the quiet bridge into Gigaton 2! A girl can dream, right?! ;)
    man I‘m so happy with this album =)
    I agree though, I’m very happy with this album. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited March 2020
    Take the Long Way sounds like it would be perfect for Riot Act if you ask me. 

I can’t get enough of this album. Took a drive and listened to the album and it was best time on a nice night like tonight here.  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Anyone ranking this album above Yield is just nuts. It's an opinion, ... and to each his own, ... but seriously? Better than Yield? That's a bridge too far. Yield is classic, quintessential Pearl Jam. You love Gigaton? Great. You hate it? Fine. But let's respect the masterpiece that is Yield.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    Here’s an interesting article (after scrolling through many ads).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6726453/pearl-jam-gigaton-album-review/amp/
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I will say that this album has the best 4 song opening since Self Titled, which had the best 4 song opening since Yield.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    tbergs said:
    I will say that this album has the best 4 song opening since Self Titled, which had the best 4 song opening since Yield.
    I agree! These four openers are fantastic.  But Avocado is a 5 song opener for me with Marker! Love that song.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:
    I agree! These four openers are fantastic.  But Avocado is a 5 song opener for me with Marker! Love that song.
    Both Yield and Self Titled are strong 5 song openers for me. I'm not quite ready to elevate Alright to that level yet, but it's a strong contender.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Im just not a self-titled fan.  Still have never connected with it.  So i have Avocado in last place. 

Yield is top 3 or 4.  So good. 
  • 1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    edited March 2020
    cp3iverson said:
    Yield is top 3 or 4.  So good. 
    Amen, brother ... amen!
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    Anyone ranking this album above Yield is just nuts. It's an opinion, ... and to each his own, ... but seriously? Better than Yield? That's a bridge too far. Yield is classic, quintessential Pearl Jam. You love Gigaton? Great. You hate it? Fine. But let's respect the masterpiece that is Yield.
    Can we get rid of Wishlist? :lol:
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited March 2020
    tbergs said:
    I agree the first four songs are really good. The thing that is frustrating is I feel like Alright could have been a great song (love the Kid A sounding keys at the beginning) and then Eddie just straight up ruins the song. 7 O’clock is a good song. Then the album dips again til Buckle Up and finishes strong. If they actually made Eddie do something not so Eddie with Alright they would have 10 great songs and a great album. But like Riot Act and Lightning Bolt they bogged down what could have been a tight album with filler and thus diminished the final product. There are some great moments- just wish they were a bit more disciplined in their quality control. 
    Post edited by Smarter_Than_U on
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    tbergs said:
    A few other things to note; I really wish that jam at the end of Who Ever Said carried on for at least 30 seconds longer. That song ends and you're like, damn! Also, the end of Alright has me really confused. It seems like it all of a sudden ends mid verse. I checked the lyrics page in the CD and it seems it doesn't list that last line by Eddie. The last lyrics it shows seemed to be a more logical end. Love the song, but I feel like it got cut off and then you roll in to 7OC which at first sounds like a continuation. 

When an over 5 minute song leaves wanting more is a good thing.  The last half of that song is brilliant, the change in tempo (Matt's drumming is great) to Ed's delivery to the abrupt end.  That song is alive.  My fav on the album.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    tbergs said:
    I agree the first four songs are really good. The thing that is frustrating is feel like Alright could have been a great song (love the Kid A sounding keys at the beginning) and then Eddie just straight up ruins the song. 7 O’clock is a good song. Then the album dips again til Buckle Up and finishes strong. If they actually made Eddie do something not so Eddie with Alright they would have 10 great songs and a great album. But like Riot Act and Lightning Bolt they bogged down what could have been a tight album with filler and thus diminished the final product. There are some great moments- just wish they were a bit more disciplined in their quality control. 
    What do you mean with Eddie on Alright?
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • PJammin' said:
    Anyone ranking this album above Yield is just nuts. It's an opinion, ... and to each his own, ... but seriously? Better than Yield? That's a bridge too far. Yield is classic, quintessential Pearl Jam. You love Gigaton? Great. You hate it? Fine. But let's respect the masterpiece that is Yield.
    Can we get rid of Wishlist? :lol:
    Haha!  I like Wishlist, ... but I hear ya!
     =) 
  • PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    I agree the first four songs are really good. The thing that is frustrating is feel like Alright could have been a great song (love the Kid A sounding keys at the beginning) and then Eddie just straight up ruins the song. 7 O’clock is a good song. Then the album dips again til Buckle Up and finishes strong. If they actually made Eddie do something not so Eddie with Alright they would have 10 great songs and a great album. But like Riot Act and Lightning Bolt they bogged down what could have been a tight album with filler and thus diminished the final product. There are some great moments- just wish they were a bit more disciplined in their quality control. 
    What do you mean with Eddie on Alright?
    The song had the potential to be interesting based on the music but in an attempt to use his voice like a warm blanket the song feels like pandering to me. The second he starts singing I have this uncontrollable eye roll. Like we’ve been here before and it wasn’t that great the first time. 
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron