Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    TN49724 said:
    Who Ever Said is just an odd song. All over the place.  After the hype that song was getting for being this crazy guitar heavy opener, what???   I'd take Unthought Known and Amongst The Waves any day of the week over it.  
    What strange tracks to pick out as openers. I'd take Who Ever Said over either of those any day of the week. Opinions!  =)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    Funny that Pitchfork doesn't even have it in their albums out today, let alone review it, their just ignoring it completely! I used to like Pitchfork but, honestly I can't stand them anymore and not just cause they don't like PJ. It's a worthless community of critiquing music!!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    vedpunk said:
    Honestly surprised that Who Ever Said and Retrograde made the album. . . Who Ever Said is too long and sounds like a b-side from Backspacer. Retrograde is like Yellow Moon part 2. Still too early to know how much I like the album, but Ed is rambling way too much without melody. I think the album would have been perfect if 80% of the songs had been shorter and had less vocals from ed (Comes then Goes would have been PERFECT if it just stayed ed and acoustic guitar, without the vocal layers). All in all over produced. And Buckle Up? Music is perfect, but the lyrics had me chuckling when he starts singing "buckle up."
    I pretty much agree with everything here.  Hopefully I will feel differently with more listens. 
    Who Ever Said is such a badass song with the catchiest chorus and melody on the album. 
    Agreed.  And the last two minutes of retrograde are unreal. 
    Your comment Mcgruff (though maybe you like the rest of the song) is what I think is part of the problem with the album for me personally.  There are a lot of really good things in most of the songs, but at some point fall short for one reason or another (for me, usually too wordy of lyrics, or too drawn out), and thus ruin the overall quality of the song. I don't want to be blown away by parts of a song, but the whole thing start to finish!  FOr me, 7 Oclock could be one of the best songs they've put out in a long time, but is just too wordy in places and a little long.  Just my opinion, but glad so many are loving the album.  I'll keep listening.  
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 571
    1-10 I give this album a 8.5 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mcgruff10 said:
    vedpunk said:
    Honestly surprised that Who Ever Said and Retrograde made the album. . . Who Ever Said is too long and sounds like a b-side from Backspacer. Retrograde is like Yellow Moon part 2. Still too early to know how much I like the album, but Ed is rambling way too much without melody. I think the album would have been perfect if 80% of the songs had been shorter and had less vocals from ed (Comes then Goes would have been PERFECT if it just stayed ed and acoustic guitar, without the vocal layers). All in all over produced. And Buckle Up? Music is perfect, but the lyrics had me chuckling when he starts singing "buckle up."
    I pretty much agree with everything here.  Hopefully I will feel differently with more listens. 
    Who Ever Said is such a badass song with the catchiest chorus and melody on the album. 
    Your comment Mcgruff (though maybe you like the rest of the song) is what I think is part of the problem with the album for me personally.  There are a lot of really good things in most of the songs, but at some point fall short for one reason or another (for me, usually too wordy of lyrics, or too drawn out), and thus ruin the overall quality of the song. I don't want to be blown away by parts of a song, but the whole thing start to finish!  Just my opinion, but glad so many are loving the album.  I'll keep listening.  
    I really like the album but agree with Ed getting too wordy at times. That would be my main complaint. I do like the lengths of the songs though.

Oh and my other complaint is Take the Long Way---that is the only one I do not like. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    CM189191 said:
    Matt's drumming is top notch
    Holy fuck. We agree on something!!!!!!! Haha. 
  • edoconedocon Posts: 300
    CM189191 said:
    My thoughts exactly. Carries the album, imo.
  • vedpunk said:
    I agree that parts of the song are catchy, overall though it feels wicked . . . choppy? Like it was a rough draft that forgot to be finalized. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    edited March 2020
    Into the second listen and there's an energy to the songs that didn't exist on Lightning Bolt. Josh Evans has done a fantastic job.
    Really impressed with the album. Only track that I'm not really digging so far is "Never Destination". 
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 571
    Edved82 said:
    Into the second listen and there's an energy to the songs that didn't exist on Lightning Bolt. Josh Evans has done a fantastic job.
    Really impressed with the album. Only track that I'm not really digging so far is "Never Destination". 
    Never  destinations ending is kick ass, so is the rest of the song 
  • The vocal melody to the verses of Quick Escape suddenly clicked. Holy shit what a good song. Probably my favorite Pearl Jam rocker since Ghost (criminally underrated song). 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    vedpunk said:
    Your comment Mcgruff (though maybe you like the rest of the song) is what I think is part of the problem with the album for me personally.  There are a lot of really good things in most of the songs, but at some point fall short for one reason or another (for me, usually too wordy of lyrics, or too drawn out), and thus ruin the overall quality of the song. I don't want to be blown away by parts of a song, but the whole thing start to finish!  FOr me, 7 Oclock could be one of the best songs they've put out in a long time, but is just too wordy in places and a little long.  Just my opinion, but glad so many are loving the album.  I'll keep listening.  
    I get what you are saying.  The first part of retrograde is ok but the last half is mind blowing imo.  I just can’t get into 7:00.  It just drags and goes nowhere. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    Buckle up, to me is like a 3-legged dog standing on the seat of a car going down a bumpy dirt road.  Love the rest of the album.  I keep thinking this is PJ's equivalent to Robert Plant's Fate of Nations.  Wonderful production.  
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    Does the chorus in 7 O'clock sound like the chorus in Ordinary World by Duran Duran to anyone else? I had a hard time concentrating on first listen because it has a very similar progression.
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    JW269453 said:
    Does the chorus in 7 O'clock sound like the chorus in Ordinary World by Duran Duran to anyone else? I had a hard time concentrating on first listen because it has a very similar progression.
    Yes. Definitely an Ordinary World meets Comfortably Numb vibe in the chorus.
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 92
    TN49724 said:
    Who Ever Said is just an odd song. All over the place.  After the hype that song was getting for being this crazy guitar heavy opener, what???   I'd take Unthought Known and Amongst The Waves any day of the week over it.  
    Both those songs would have been atrocious opening songs for any album 
    I wasn't suggesting them as openers, it was a reference to a previous post about Backspacer.  People seem not to like that record for whatever reason and I do like.  Who Ever Said is just a strange song.  But no, was not inferring them as openers to an album. 
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Holy fuck. We agree on something!!!!!!! Haha. 
    ~~~~~~^~~~~~~lol~~~~~~~~

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    It's a great album. Quick Escape is absolutely epic. I'm still super excited about DoTC and wish they would have explored more in that direction. Retrograde sounds like it could have been on the Into the Wild soundtrack! Superblood Wolfmoon seems like a recycled short puncher a la Can't Deny Me and Mind you Manners.

Tier 1: QUICK ESCAPE, Who Ever Said, DoTC, River Cross, Seven O Clock
    Tier 2: Alright, Buckle Up, Comes then Goes, Retrograde
    Tier 3: Superblood Wolfmoon, Take the Long Way, Never Destination
    The less you know, the more you believe.
    vedpunk said:
    I agree that parts of the song are catchy, overall though it feels wicked . . . choppy? Like it was a rough draft that forgot to be finalized. 
    I agree with vedpunk - Who Ever Said is awesome. I like the unpredictable song structure with 2 choruses early and then finally returning to the chorus at the end. I think it's well laid out and fully planned.
    Tier 1: Who Ever Said, DoTC, Quick Escape, Seven O' Clock, Alright
    Tier 2: SBWM, Retrograde, Never Destination, River Cross
    Tier 3: Take the Long Way, Comes Then Goes, Buckle Up
    EarlWelsh said:
    JW269453 said:
    Yes. Definitely an Ordinary World meets Comfortably Numb vibe in the chorus.
    Yep
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Comes Then Goes: I was waiting for the band to come in and join Ed  similar to Just Breathe. So it being more of an Into the Wild solo song is kinda disappointing for me. Also I think the song would've benefited from softer guitar strumming and less abrupt chord changes. But I get that is Ed's signature playing style on acoustic.
    Okay if we have to have three tiers:

1 DOTC, Quick Escape, Who Ever Said, Seven O'Clock, Never Destination
    2 Buckle Up, Retrograde, Alright, SBWM, River Cross
    3 Comes Then Goes, Take the Long Way, 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Hey PJ fans share the light. This won’t hold us down
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Initial reaction after just one listen...

1. Quick Escape, River Cross, SBWM, DotC, Never Destination, Alright

2. Comes Then Goes, Retrograde, Take The Long Way, Buckle Up

3. Who Ever Said, Seven o clock

Not one song I dislike so far. It’ll be interesting to see how this changes for everyone after more listens. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Edved82 said:
    Never  destinations ending is kick ass, so is the rest of the song 
    Reminds me of Swallowed Whole.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • They hit one out the park with this one.  What a great album!  It was worth the wait.
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    CM189191 said:
    His best work since joining Pearl Jam
  • mfcbmwmfcbmw baltimore Posts: 41
    Complaining about Ed singing too many lyrics has to be, by far, the funniest, most backwards complaint for not liking a song(s).  Is it too hard to understand too much meaning?  Or that it'll take time to digest?  I'm assuming if you dislike Ed singing too many words, you must also dislike Sleight of Hand, Garden, Black, marker in the sand, army reserve, comeback.  Too many lyrics for those songs it huuuurts my bwain.  
    mfcbmw said:
    Complaining about Ed singing too many lyrics has to be, by far, the funniest, most backwards complaint for not liking a song(s).  Is it too hard to understand too much meaning?  Or that it'll take time to digest?  I'm assuming if you dislike Ed singing too many words, you must also dislike Sleight of Hand, Garden, Black, marker in the sand, army reserve, comeback.  Too many lyrics for those songs it huuuurts my bwain.  
    This guy's got all the answers. 
    chinese-happy.jpg