Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Awesome album.  So much to digest.  
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Holy s**t! They knocked it out of the park!
    Thank you Pearl Jam! 
  • LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    Maybe just a sign of the times, but 'Comes then Goes' just hits me like a ton of bricks.  Parting Ways 2.  Sounds like it should be played during the acoustic set at Mansfield 2003.  I'm blown away.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    JV267526 said:
    There really isn't a bad song on the album, just songs I like more. This is one of the things for me that makes this such a great album is that it is all killer with no filler. 1-12 is good. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes, but to me after about 20 listens top to bottom in the last few days, its better songs measure up with those on No Code, Yield and Vitalogy, but in my opinion the lesser songs on Gigaton are much stronger than those of the lesser songs on other albums. Ten and Vs for me are at the top, musically, and also due to their cultural significance, but I am starting to think this album might rank as their 3rd best for me. Gigaton is a grower, and since the first listen my fondness for it is continuing to grow, as you listen to subtleties and intricacies that you don't hear on the first couple of listens, because it is all so new.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I tried a little exercise with Vitalogy and No Code and intermixed the songs from Gigaton with first, Vitalogy and then No Code, ranking them, and for me it turned out as follows:

Vitalogy/Gigaton

Betterman - Vitalogy
    Seven O’Clock - Gigaton
    Corduroy - Vitalogy
    Dance of the Clairvoyants - Gigaton
    Who Ever Said - Gigaton
    Quick Escape - Gigaton
    Immortality - Vitalogy
    Retrograde - Gigaton
    Comes Then Goes - Gigaton
    Nothingman - Vitalogy
    Superblood Wolfmoon - Gigaton
    Not For You - Vitalogy
    Tremor Christ - Vitalogy
    River Cross - Gigaton
    Spin the Black Circle - Vitalogy
    Alright - Gigaton
    Buckle Up - Gigaton
    Last Exit - Vitalogy
    Never Destination - Gigaton
    Whipping - Vitalogy
    Take the Long Way - Gigaton
    Satan’s Bed - Vitalogy
    Aya Davanita - Vitalogy
    Hey Foxymophandlemama, That’s Me (Stupidmop) - Vitalogy
    Bugs - Vitalogy
    Pry To - Vitalogy

No Code/Gigaton

Red Mosquito - No Code
    Seven O’Clock - Gigaton
    Off He Goes - No Code
    In My Tree - No Code
    Who Ever Said - Gigaton
    Quick Escape - Gigaton
    Who You Are - No Code
    Hail, Hail - No Code
    Retrograde - Gigaton
    Present Tense - No Code
    Mankind - No Code
    River Cross - Gigaton
    Alright - Gigaton
    Buckle Up - Gigaton
    Smile - No Code
    Sometimes - No Code
    Around the Bend - No Code
    Lukin - No Code
    I’m Open - No Code
    Habit - No Code

I see you like the shiny new object.  DO this again in a couple of years, changes would be interesting.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    JV267526 said:
    There really isn't a bad song on the album, just songs I like more. This is one of the things for me that makes this such a great album is that it is all killer with no filler. 1-12 is good. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes, but to me after about 20 listens top to bottom in the last few days, its better songs measure up with those on No Code, Yield and Vitalogy, but in my opinion the lesser songs on Gigaton are much stronger than those of the lesser songs on other albums. Ten and Vs for me are at the top, musically, and also due to their cultural significance, but I am starting to think this album might rank as their 3rd best for me. Gigaton is a grower, and since the first listen my fondness for it is continuing to grow, as you listen to subtleties and intricacies that you don't hear on the first couple of listens, because it is all so new.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I tried a little exercise with Vitalogy and No Code and intermixed the songs from Gigaton with first, Vitalogy and then No Code, ranking them, and for me it turned out as follows:

Vitalogy/Gigaton

Betterman - Vitalogy
    Seven O’Clock - Gigaton
    Corduroy - Vitalogy
    Who Ever Said - Gigaton
    Quick Escape - Gigaton
    Immortality - Vitalogy
    Retrograde - Gigaton
    Nothingman - Vitalogy
    Not For You - Vitalogy
    Tremor Christ - Vitalogy
    River Cross - Gigaton
    Alright - Gigaton
    Buckle Up - Gigaton
    Last Exit - Vitalogy
    Whipping - Vitalogy
    Satan’s Bed - Vitalogy
    Aya Davanita - Vitalogy
    Bugs - Vitalogy
    Pry To - Vitalogy

No Code/Gigaton

Red Mosquito - No Code
    Seven O’Clock - Gigaton
    Off He Goes - No Code
    In My Tree - No Code
    Who Ever Said - Gigaton
    Quick Escape - Gigaton
    Who You Are - No Code
    Hail, Hail - No Code
    Retrograde - Gigaton
    Present Tense - No Code
    Mankind - No Code
    River Cross - Gigaton
    Alright - Gigaton
    Buckle Up - Gigaton
    Smile - No Code
    Sometimes - No Code
    Lukin - No Code
    I’m Open - No Code
    Habit - No Code

I see you like the shiny new object.  DO this again in a couple of years, changes would be interesting.
    Maybe there is a bit of shiny new object going on, but I love the balance in this album and the organic feel that it has. It is a grower, not a burner much like No Code, so I am having a tough time thinking my opinion of it will be much less later on. There honestly isn't a bad song on this album. That cannot be said of many albums.
    JV267526 said:
    JV267526 said:

Vitalogy/Gigaton

Betterman - Vitalogy
    Seven O’Clock - Gigaton
    Corduroy - Vitalogy
    Who Ever Said - Gigaton
    Quick Escape - Gigaton
    Immortality - Vitalogy
    Retrograde - Gigaton
    Nothingman - Vitalogy
    Not For You - Vitalogy
    Tremor Christ - Vitalogy
    River Cross - Gigaton
    Alright - Gigaton
    Buckle Up - Gigaton
    Last Exit - Vitalogy
    Whipping - Vitalogy
    Satan’s Bed - Vitalogy
    Aya Davanita - Vitalogy
    Bugs - Vitalogy
    Pry To - Vitalogy

No Code/Gigaton

Red Mosquito - No Code
    Seven O’Clock - Gigaton
    Off He Goes - No Code
    In My Tree - No Code
    Who Ever Said - Gigaton
    Quick Escape - Gigaton
    Who You Are - No Code
    Hail, Hail - No Code
    Retrograde - Gigaton
    Present Tense - No Code
    Mankind - No Code
    River Cross - Gigaton
    Alright - Gigaton
    Buckle Up - Gigaton
    Smile - No Code
    Sometimes - No Code
    Lukin - No Code
    I’m Open - No Code
    Habit - No Code

Maybe there is a bit of shiny new object going on, but I love the balance in this album and the organic feel that it has. It is a grower, not a burner much like No Code, so I am having a tough time thinking my opinion of it will be much less later on. There honestly isn't a bad song on this album. That cannot be said of many albums.
    I may be projecting some as I am super impressed overall after my 2nd listen...but I tend to get that way with the new albums. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    Can’t believe the love for Buckle up.

Take that and DoTC out and it’s a killer album.
    Tjm007 said:

Love it.  Love them both.  Good thing we no longer have tapes and you can skip easily or even setup your own album playlist! enjoy your killer album!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    It’s incredible. Crazy how relevant the lyrics are right now. They sound energized and fired up. So happy. Can’t wait to hear these live
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Seven O'Clock brought me to tears. I don't know why but it really hit me.
    Listened to the whole thing once through. Wow. Fantastic job. As with all PJ music, the songs will move around on my list of favorites but there isn't one that I can't listen to at all.
    What a gift this band is to us. Thank you.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Tjm007 said:

I'm ok with DOTC....I could lose BU and the three tracks that follow it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JimmyV said:
    Changing producers after Can't Deny Me was undeniably the right decision.
    100% agree
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Matt kills it on this album. His best PJ album by far for me. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,015

Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,907
    edited March 2020
    there is something VERY special about seven o´clock after the 4:20 mark ,  the song just explodes i dont know if it is the times we live in these days but i just find it full of hope and passion , i cannot stop smiling and there a strange soft feeling of hope and that everything will be alright, that we´ll make it alright in the end. in one of the first times i listen to the song i almost cried after the 4:20 mark...
    Post edited by just_one on
  • Honestly surprised that Who Ever Said and Retrograde made the album. . . Who Ever Said is too long and sounds like a b-side from Backspacer. Retrograde is like Yellow Moon part 2. Still too early to know how much I like the album, but Ed is rambling way too much without melody. I think the album would have been perfect if 80% of the songs had been shorter and had less vocals from ed (Comes then Goes would have been PERFECT if it just stayed ed and acoustic guitar, without the vocal layers). All in all over produced. And Buckle Up? Music is perfect, but the lyrics had me chuckling when he starts singing "buckle up."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Tjm007 said:

Love them both. To each, their own.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited March 2020
    See i think the songs being longer made this album.  To me the last two minutes of Retrograde elevate this album. 
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,015
    I love it.  Can't rank it yet because I think I'd put it absurdly high on my list right now.  Must listen on headphones or surround sound. Echo studio was a wise investment 😂. Only song that needs to grow on me is take the long way.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Honestly surprised that Who Ever Said and Retrograde made the album. . . Who Ever Said is too long and sounds like a b-side from Backspacer. Retrograde is like Yellow Moon part 2. Still too early to know how much I like the album, but Ed is rambling way too much without melody. I think the album would have been perfect if 80% of the songs had been shorter and had less vocals from ed (Comes then Goes would have been PERFECT if it just stayed ed and acoustic guitar, without the vocal layers). All in all over produced. And Buckle Up? Music is perfect, but the lyrics had me chuckling when he starts singing "buckle up."
    Can't get enough of Whoever Said.  My fav on the album.

Last 2 minutes is phenomenal.  wish it was longer.

• JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    just_one said:
    there is something VERY special about seven o´clock after the 4:20 mark ,  the song just explodes i dont know if it is the times we live in these days but i just find it full of hope and passion , i cannot stop smiling and there a strange soft feeling of hope and that everything will be alright in the end and that we´ll make it alright in the end. in one of the first times i listen to the song i almost cried after the 4:20 mark...
    Totally agree. The last two minutes are really awesome.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Honestly surprised that Who Ever Said and Retrograde made the album. . . Who Ever Said is too long and sounds like a b-side from Backspacer. Retrograde is like Yellow Moon part 2. Still too early to know how much I like the album, but Ed is rambling way too much without melody. I think the album would have been perfect if 80% of the songs had been shorter and had less vocals from ed (Comes then Goes would have been PERFECT if it just stayed ed and acoustic guitar, without the vocal layers). All in all over produced. And Buckle Up? Music is perfect, but the lyrics had me chuckling when he starts singing "buckle up."
    I pretty much agree with everything here.  Hopefully I will feel differently with more listens. 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    edited March 2020
    I pretty much agree with everything here.  Hopefully I will feel differently with more listens. 
    Who Ever Said is such a badass song with the catchiest chorus and melody on the album. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,907
    vedpunk said:
    Who Ever Said is such a badass song with the catchiest chorus and melody on the album. 
    Took a couple of listens to appreciate the song but i love it right now.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    vedpunk said:
    Agreed.  And the last two minutes of retrograde are unreal. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    just_one said:
    vedpunk said:
    Took a couple of listens to appreciate the song but i love it right now.

Love Who Ever Said. Love the way it kicks in especially
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 92
    Who Ever Said is just an odd song. All over the place.  After the hype that song was getting for being this crazy guitar heavy opener, what???   I'd take Unthought Known and Amongst The Waves any day of the week over it.  
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    TN49724 said:
    Who Ever Said is just an odd song. All over the place.  After the hype that song was getting for being this crazy guitar heavy opener, what???   I'd take Unthought Known and Amongst The Waves any day of the week over it.  
    Both those songs would have been atrocious opening songs for any album 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    Tjm007 said:

I'm ok with DOTC....I could lose BU and the three tracks that follow it
    I am with you.  such a drag 4 songs like that at the end.  

I like Quick Escape the most first couple listens. Really nothing else stands out for me personally.  Going to let it steep for a while then relisten.  The production I am also not a fan of like I wasn't on Binaural.  But I love that album otherwise.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Matt's drumming is top notch
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020