Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited March 2020
    Saw Quick Escape was released as a single this morning and checked the repeat box after the first listen with no intention of listening to it anymore than that. Well, 35 minutes later and I was at work still listening on repeat as I parked. Just didn't want to turn it off. What a beast of a song. Jeff kills, Mike kills, Matt kills and Stone kills! Great song. I get why people say they heard Zep and Rage. I also get why @mcgruff10 said it reminded him of Helter Skelter, at the end. The drum sound is very similar and ends while distorted guitar sounds continue. With all that said, it doesn't sound like a rehash of anything by those groups or of PJ. Just a fresh original song that rocks!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    tbergs said:
    Saw Quick Escape was released as a single this morning and checked the repeat box after the first listen with no intention of listening to it anymore than that. Well, 35 minutes later and I was at work still listening on repeat as I parked. Just didn't want to turn it off. What a beast of a song. Jeff kills, Mike kills, Matt kills and Stone kills! Great song. I get why people say they heard Zep and Rage. I also get why @mcgruff10 said it reminded him of Helter Skelter, at the end. The drum sound is very similar and ends while distorted guitar sounds continue. With all that said, it doesn't sound like a rehash of anything by those groups or of PJ. Just a fresh original song that rocks!

As soon as I heard it through my headphones and not crappy computer speakers....woah..Jeff
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

As soon as I heard it through my headphones and not crappy computer speakers....woah..Jeff
    Yeah, Jeff was a true standout on this tune. The bass is badass.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed.  Jeff....whoa.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I haven't listened to Gigaton on anything but headphones yet. There is so much going on throughout these songs. I get why they wanted to do the Dolby thing and why it was important to use specific equipment in specific theaters. Also, I'm very glad I didn't spend a lot of time on that hotline from Monday because my connection sounded like hot garbage compared to the real thing.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed.  Jeff....whoa.  

Ya he is a beast on this album. 

You warming up to 7 O'clock yet?
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed.  Jeff....whoa.  

I am, definitely not my fav though. Take the long way is another one I really can't get into.   Besides that I have zero complaints.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Jeff absolutely kills it on this record. They all sound great....but Jeff is on fire.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Buckle up sounds very beatle ish to me.  Very sweet sounding song.  
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed.  Jeff....whoa.  

I am, definitely not my fav though. Take the long way is another one I really can't get into.   Besides that I have zero complaints.

As I said elsewhere, it's just a Bruce song.  Last couple of minutes make it though
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why don't I have the album :( 

booooooh!

Well, lets wear out quick escape untill it arrives!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    I can hear that as well. Beautiful song.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Album sounds incredible on headphones.  

Beats 3 Studios.  Not sure where they rank but they always sound good.  This album TAKES OFF when im listening to it on them.  I’m glad my first listen of Retrograde was over headphones. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why don't I have the album :( 

booooooh!

Well, lets wear out quick escape untill it arrives!
    It really is good.  Well worth the wait. This album could be your riot act.  
  • se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 321
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed.  Jeff....whoa.  

As I said elsewhere, it's just a Bruce song.  Last couple of minutes make it though
    If by just a Bruce song you mean beautiful melodies and lyrics to match, then I would agree.  7 O'Clock is my favorite track after 4 listens through, and probably my favorite track since at least MITS.
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    se7v7en said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed.  Jeff....whoa.  

If by just a Bruce song you mean beautiful melodies and lyrics to match, then I would agree.  7 O'Clock is my favorite track after 4 listens through, and probably my favorite track since at least MITS.
    I agree Seven O'Clock has a lot more going on then just a Bruce song. There are a lot of layers to that song, and you are right it has great lyrics and melodies. The chorus has an airy, soundscape that has a very Pink Floyd feel to it, and the last 2 minutes of the song is unreal. Very much the soul of the record to me when you listen to the lyrics and its placement on the album.
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    JV267526 said:
    se7v7en said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed.  Jeff....whoa.  

I agree Seven O'Clock has a lot more going on then just a Bruce song. There are a lot of layers to that song, and you are right it has great lyrics and melodies. The chorus has an airy, soundscape that has a very Pink Floyd feel to it, and the last 2 minutes of the song is unreal. Very much the soul of the record to me when you listen to the lyrics and its placement on the album.
    Seven o’clock is great, your summary matches my thoughts on retrograde. Each time I hear it, I find something new to it. The end is unreal too, it’ll be amazing live. 
  • SpokenJeremySpokenJeremy Posts: 604
    edited March 2020
    From the Seattle Times review of Gigaton. On Mike... "unleashes torrents of stadium-slaying guitar heroics with the restraint of a quarantined kid hitting the park for the first time in weeks." 

So accurate.  
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    mfc2006 said:
    Jeff absolutely kills it on this record. They all sound great....but Jeff is on fire.
    I 100 percent agree. Jeff upped his game this time around. The rhythm section is scorching. The bass is also more present in the mix for much of the album which is a good thing.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mfc2006 said:
    this. even my first few listens where i didn't care for the record that much, i felt the performances are better than ever, but jeff takes it to a whole other level. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Only heard it a few times now and I do really like the first set of songs, the second half of the album sounds like a completely different album to me. I need more listens but I’ve always been a fan of the harder, faster songs, just the metal head in me. Can’t make full judgment until I hear songs live though. 

NYPJ
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited March 2020
    wall232 said:
    Only heard it a few times now and I do really like the first set of songs, the second half of the album sounds like a completely different album to me. I need more listens but I’ve always been a fan of the harder, faster songs, just the metal head in me. Can’t make full judgment until I hear songs live though. 

that's how i heard it the first few listens too. i really didn't like side 2 at all., except for comes then goes. now it's grown on me. it seems more cohesive than it was at first. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    wall232 said:

that's how i heard it the first few listens too. i really didn't like side 2 at all., except for comes then goes. now it's grown on me. it seems more cohesive than it was at first. 
    I agree. It's definitely an album that's taking a few listens for me to fully understand and comprehend. I really liked it at first, but was a tad underwhelmed, it's growing more and more on me. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    After a few more spins, there's a balance to this album that wasn't present on the last couple, especially Lightning Bolt, which, to me, falls completely flat in the second half.

Gigaton holds a theme from start to finish, a tone that hangs over the entire album like an uneasy mood that permeates an entire day. And I mean that in the best possible way. Gigaton is an ALBUM the likes of which we don't typically see from any bands in this day and age.

It ebbs and flows; it moves and breathes. It's like listening to a living organism. Like plugging headphones into the Earth itself and hearing the natural process of planetary existence. 

Oh, and by the way, the musicianship is about as top notch as anything these guys have ever given us. I'm going to be enjoying this one on so many levels for a long time.

• JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    edited March 2020
    Long Red said:
    After a few more spins, there's a balance to this album that wasn't present on the last couple, especially Lightning Bolt, which, to me, falls completely flat in the second half.

Gigaton holds a theme from start to finish, a tone that hangs over the entire album like an uneasy mood that permeates an entire day. And I mean that in the best possible way. Gigaton is an ALBUM the likes of which we don't typically see from any bands in this day and age.

It ebbs and flows; it moves and breathes. It's like listening to a living organism. Like plugging headphones into the Earth itself and hearing the natural process of planetary existence. 

Oh, and by the way, the musicianship is about as top notch as anything these guys have ever given us. I'm going to be enjoying this one on so many levels for a long time.

Great post.
    I totally agree with you. It is very cohesive. I love your analogy about it is like listening to a living organism. Creating an album like that is something that is very difficult to do that Pink Floyd were the masters of.
    Long Red said:

Very well said!! Love this album!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    edited March 2020
    Awesome Album. Can't get enough. First listen was on Beats Studio 3 headphones, a little bit of green "inspiration" and some red wine.

My ranking after a few listens:
    1 - Who Ever Said - what a ride this song takes you on. If you were to explain "What is Pearl Jam?" to somebody, this song would be it. 
    2 - DOTC - Love the different direction with this song. Can't get enough of the outro. Stand Back!
    3 - Quick Escape - Cready kills it. I pictured him running across the stage destroying everybody's mind during the first solo. 
    4 - Seven O'clock - The musical layers are amazing
    5 - Comes then Goes - A letter from EV to CC
    6 - River Cross - Inspirational
    7- Retrograde - The outro is therapeutic 
    8 - Alright - Channeling No Code...love it
    9 - Buckle Up - I usually love the weirder songs. This one didn't grab me right away but I found myself randomly singing "Buckle uuuuuuppppp" so that has to mean something lol
    10 - SBWM - My 4 year old's favorite song
    11 - Take the Long Way - Soundgarden music with EV on vocals. Don't hate it don't love it
    12 - Never Destination - Feels like this one is a filler tune. Again don't hate it don't love it
    Post edited by CPR7 on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Great review but where’s Buckle Up in your rankings?
  • CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    Great review but where’s Buckle Up in your rankings?
    Shit how did I miss that. Post has been updated
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    edited March 2020
    CPR7 said:
    Awesome Album. Can't get enough. First listen was on Beats Studio 3 headphones, a little bit of green "inspiration" and some red wine.

My ranking after a few listens:
    1 - Who Ever Said - what a ride this song takes you on. If you were to explain "What is Pearl Jam?" to somebody, this song would be it. 
    2 - DOTC - Love the different direction with this song. Can't get enough of the outro. Stand Back!
    3 - Quick Escape - Cready kills it. I pictured him running across the stage destroying everybody's mind during the first solo. 
    4 - Seven O'clock - The musical layers are amazing
    5 - Comes then Goes - A letter from EV to CC
    6 - River Cross - Inspirational
    7- Retrograde - The outro is therapeutic 
    8 - Alright - Channeling No Code...love it
    9 - Buckle Up - I usually love the weirder songs. This one didn't grab me right away but I found myself randomly singing "Buckle uuuuuuppppp" so that has to mean something lol
    10 - SBWM - My 4 year old's favorite song
    11 - Take the Long Way - Soundgarden music with EV on vocals. Don't hate it don't love it
    12 - Never Destination - Feels like this one is a filler tune. Again don't hate it don't love it
    Hell yeah. Gets better with every listen. I fckn love Buckle Up, probably top 4 or 5 for me on the album. Is it just me or does SBWM and Quick Escape remind anyone of mid-2000s Incubus, A Crow Left of the Murder album? I could be alone. 
    Post edited by mschostok on
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020