Temporary Unemployment: The COVID-19/Coronavirus Version

deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
Had the talk at work today that we knew was coming.  The ask for voluntary layoffs as they cut staff down to the least they can have.  They will remain open as long as they are legally permitted to do so.  Most of our staff are single income, paycheck-to-paycheck people.  We are a bunch of artists, blessed to work in a fantastic American craft gallery but let's face it-- our items are definitely not a need during a global pandemic.  Over the past few days, we haven't made enough money to make payroll.  The company itself is fine.  We have been in business for almost 50 years and as such, we have incredibly responsible owners who live and breathe for us and this store.  They have money set back for lean times.  We just don't know how long this is going to last. 

I have a husband with a job and benefits who will be paid his full salary regardless of whether it comes down to a full shelter-in-place in Ohio or not.  We have money in savings.  Given all this, I volunteered to go on unemployment.  

It is not something I am super excited to do.  

Yes, I have cried.  

My boss doesn't want me to go, but we both know that in order for some to stay afloat, some others have to step back.  

Mine is a choice-- for now.  So many others do not have that choice.  

Ohio has been great about trying to be ahead of many different things with the coronavirus.  In an unemployment instance like mine, there is a filing number designed to fast-track our claims.  There is no need to wait the standard 2 weeks.  Employment search/application requirements are waived in this case.  

Still.  The whole thing makes me sigh-- loudly.  

Anyone else out there in this boat with me?  
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Just want to applaud you on your act of nobility. Leaders come from all facets of life and from all positions. When this horrible virus is conquered you will be welcomed back with open arms. 
    I am not in the same boat... but I would hope that I would have the same compassion as you have shown. Cheers to better days... 
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    I’m sorry about your situation.  I was told not to come in to work this past Friday until at least the 6th of April.  Both my husband and I work fir the federal government so thankfully, we will still be receiving income.  However, my sister runs my family’s small business in another province, where my brother is also employed. She will probably have to lay everyone off as of Friday, as the businesses where they do their work are having to close their doors and lay-off their employees.  It’s a terrifying knock-on effect where one feels quite powerless.  I hope you’re able to keep your heads above water.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Just want to applaud you on your act of nobility. Leaders come from all facets of life and from all positions. When this horrible virus is conquered you will be welcomed back with open arms. 
    I am not in the same boat... but I would hope that I would have the same compassion as you have shown. Cheers to better days... 
    I thank you. 
    I’m sorry about your situation.  I was told not to come in to work this past Friday until at least the 6th of April.  Both my husband and I work fir the federal government so thankfully, we will still be receiving income.  However, my sister runs my family’s small business in another province, where my brother is also employed. She will probably have to lay everyone off as of Friday, as the businesses where they do their work are having to close their doors and lay-off their employees.  It’s a terrifying knock-on effect where one feels quite powerless.  I hope you’re able to keep your heads above water.
    Our family is certainly fine. We can keep our heads above water. No worry there. It isn't that I could lay a match to my pay, but we have been saving for an evenual move after our daughter graduates. 

The little art gallery I work for will most likely be fine. I have responsible bosses who have emergency funds and have taken steps ahead of circumstances to stretch the resources available to them. I thank them for that. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    deadendp said:
    Had the talk at work today that we knew was coming.  The ask for voluntary layoffs as they cut staff down to the least they can have.  They will remain open as long as they are legally permitted to do so.  Most of our staff are single income, paycheck-to-paycheck people.  We are a bunch of artists, blessed to work in a fantastic American craft gallery but let's face it-- our items are definitely not a need during a global pandemic.  Over the past few days, we haven't made enough money to make payroll.  The company itself is fine.  We have been in business for almost 50 years and as such, we have incredibly responsible owners who live and breathe for us and this store.  They have money set back for lean times.  We just don't know how long this is going to last. 

I have a husband with a job and benefits who will be paid his full salary regardless of whether it comes down to a full shelter-in-place in Ohio or not.  We have money in savings.  Given all this, I volunteered to go on unemployment.  

It is not something I am super excited to do.  

Yes, I have cried.  

My boss doesn't want me to go, but we both know that in order for some to stay afloat, some others have to step back.  

Mine is a choice-- for now.  So many others do not have that choice.  

Ohio has been great about trying to be ahead of many different things with the coronavirus.  In an unemployment instance like mine, there is a filing number designed to fast-track our claims.  There is no need to wait the standard 2 weeks.  Employment search/application requirements are waived in this case.  

Still.  The whole thing makes me sigh-- loudly.  

Anyone else out there in this boat with me?  
    Oh, Amy - I wish you didn’t have to go through this. I am not surprised that you volunteered  as you did - you’re a caring, giving person. At least you, M and K are safe and well at this point and this step further helps with that. May you all stay healthy, use your creative energy at home, and get back to work soon. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

My wife got an email last night from her employer , sign up for unemployment - she is going from 40 hours to 10 hours a week due to lack of customers ( x-ray tech for a chiropractic company ) they have seen a 90% decrease in traffic.

Our income breakdown is I bring in about 70% and she brings in 30% , still it is a hit as unemployment in my state sucks and only supplements 40% of income.

I was brave for her and then cried this morning while driving into work. Everything seems so uncertain right now and I feel like a month from now we are going to look back and wish we were at the point we are at now.

We will be ok , just cut out some lifestyle choices ( Although right now that is not too hard since everything is closed down )  I feel for those that are just fucked by this. My job should be incredible safe but who knows.

Just fuck is all I can say right now.

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    @deadendp this is an incredibly selfless act on your part.  I'm so sorry this situation is taking a toll on individuals like you, but I admire you greatly for doing what you did.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    I work in retail  (clothing store kinda like a kohl’s). Our store closed yesterday until further notice. I do have 4 weeks vacation time so that’s good. 

I’m kinda worried about money and all. I live by myself in an apartment with my cat. Do I file unemployment? Look for a part time job until my other job reopens? I’m sure grocery stores are hiring now.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "Oh what a heart that she has."

You're a good soul, my friend.

Many restaurants are still doing take-out and delivery service.  Perhaps approach one of them?

I've heard it's virtually impossible to get through to unemployment offices right now.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Sorry to hear this, Amy, and this thread is a good idea.  Lots of people will be with you soon - we had to lay off more people yesterday and if things continue nobody is safe.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Amy finally took my advice and pissed off!

Attagirl!

:hug:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2020
    Matts3221 said:

My wife got an email last night from her employer , sign up for unemployment - she is going from 40 hours to 10 hours a week due to lack of customers ( x-ray tech for a chiropractic company ) they have seen a 90% decrease in traffic.

Our income breakdown is I bring in about 70% and she brings in 30% , still it is a hit as unemployment in my state sucks and only supplements 40% of income.

I was brave for her and then cried this morning while driving into work. Everything seems so uncertain right now and I feel like a month from now we are going to look back and wish we were at the point we are at now.

We will be ok , just cut out some lifestyle choices ( Although right now that is not too hard since everything is closed down )  I feel for those that are just fucked by this. My job should be incredible safe but who knows.

Just fuck is all I can say right now.

Matt, I am so sorry. Ohio supplements up to 70% (I read that somewhere) but apparently our bookkeeper said I will receive less since we are a two income family. I get it. Still at less, it won't be less than 50%. 40% absolutely sucks. 
    I work in retail  (clothing store kinda like a kohl’s). Our store closed yesterday until further notice. I do have 4 weeks vacation time so that’s good. 

I’m kinda worried about money and all. I live by myself in an apartment with my cat. Do I file unemployment? Look for a part time job until my other job reopens? I’m sure grocery stores are hiring now.
    Dave, I am so very sorry. I would absolutely suggest to file for unemployment. Most of us are in a temporary layoff situation, but how long is temporary? 

Groceries (Aldi comes to mind as one) and Amazon are hiring. Amazon is offering $2 more per hour over their regular hiring rate in some places. I know you also Uber/Lyft, but I don't know how safe you feel with that right now. 

To my friends, I love you all. Even DK can handle the social distancing kind of hug. :hug:

I have spent these last two days of work scrubbing floors and walls. I am a stress cleaner. I walked out of the door, tears in my eyes because who knows when I'll be back, but I left them sparkling and lemon scented.

Given the way things are on a progressive shutdown here in Ohio, I don't believe they will be opened for much longer. Hoping this thing moves through swiftly and gently. 

Vent, share and be safe here. Talk all you want. Share what you need. 
  • WM31482WM31482 New York, NY Posts: 561

Yes, you should go file ASAP.
    If you get another job while you're collecting, great! You can always stop filing
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    did file the other day. First time i did it so hopefully i did it right

Dave, I am so very sorry. I would absolutely suggest to file for unemployment. Most of us are in a temporary layoff situation, but how long is temporary? 

Groceries (Aldi comes to mind as one) and Amazon are hiring. Amazon is offering $2 more per hour over their regular hiring rate in some places. I know you also Uber/Lyft, but I don't know how safe you feel with that right now. 

To my friends, I love you all. Even DK can handle the social distancing kind of hug. :hug:

I have spent these last two days of work scrubbing floors and walls. I am a stress cleaner. I walked out of the door, tears in my eyes because who knows when I'll be back, but I left them sparkling and lemon scented.

Given the way things are on a progressive shutdown here in Ohio, I don't believe they will be opened for much longer. Hoping this thing moves through swiftly and gently. 

oh yeah amazon. Although the closest one is like 15 miles away (rather do something closer). yeah I stopped the Uber/Lyft thing about a week ago. Kinda weird my store manager texted me and asking for my email address for corporate to have. Not sure what that is all about. Didn't want to ask her yet. Maybe it's about pay or something?

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    did file the other day. First time i did it so hopefully i did it right

oh yeah amazon. Although the closest one is like 15 miles away (rather do something closer). yeah I stopped the Uber/Lyft thing about a week ago. Kinda weird my store manager texted me and asking for my email address for corporate to have. Not sure what that is all about. Didn't want to ask her yet. Maybe it's about pay or something?

I would think it is to keep up with updated company information. They went around yesterday checking for updated phone numbers. Of course, one of the managers is a concert buddy, so she has mine. :smiley:

Glad you ditched Uber/Lyft for now. Ewww. 
  • MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    I just today have let 18 people know that from tomorrow they are laid off. I feel like shit, no other words for It, sleep has not come for me in some time and I fear it won't for some time yet.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Moonpig said:
    I just today have let 18 people know that from tomorrow they are laid off. I feel like shit, no other words for It, sleep has not come for me in some time and I fear it won't for some time yet.
    That is awful.  Sorry to hear it.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    My thoughts are with everyone who’s going through this crisis and have to deal with unemployment..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Moonpig said:
    I know it’s a horrible, guilt-ridden feeling, even when there is no other way around it. Do your best to take care of yourself.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

edited March 2020
    Moonpig said:
    I am so very sorry to hear this. I am sure that this was of no surprise to your coworkers. It still doesn't make your job any easier. But...temporary. I keep repeating that this is a temporary gig. 

My husband is not sleeping. He is so stressed out. Tylenol PM didn't even knock him out. I am sorry to read this, too. I see what he goes through. 
    Post edited by deadendp on
    Ugh, sorry for all who are on the giving or receiving end of this.  I hope some good sleep comes for both Moonpig and M.

Hell, for us all.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Tomorrow is the first day of closed doors for our business.  It's been incredibly dead all week, 90% of patients cancelled, and we cancelled the last of them today and tomorrow.  One of us will be there to collect the mail and man the phone for a few hours each day, and we will still take emergencies, but the income we will generate will be negligible.  Fingers crossed that...well hell, I don't know, there's not much of an endgame in sight with this.  Fingers crossed that we stay healthy, for sure.
    Gotta look for silver linings...the garden is going to be banging this year with so much time to work on it.  Might really need it, too.  😒
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    rgambs said:
    Tomorrow is the first day of closed doors for our business.  It's been incredibly dead all week, 90% of patients cancelled, and we cancelled the last of them today and tomorrow.  One of us will be there to collect the mail and man the phone for a few hours each day, and we will still take emergencies, but the income we will generate will be negligible.  Fingers crossed that...well hell, I don't know, there's not much of an endgame in sight with this.  Fingers crossed that we stay healthy, for sure.
    Gotta look for silver linings...the garden is going to be banging this year with so much time to work on it.  Might really need it, too.  😒
    My thoughts are with you in these trying times, love gardening it’s so rewarding ☝️
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    My thoughts are with you in these trying times, love gardening it’s so rewarding ☝️
    Speaking of gardening, it looks like the asparagus is starting to come up!  One less thing I would feel the need to go to the supermarket for!  I was so happy to get to eat a couple today!
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    This is where I’m envious of you with gardens. 
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    First, I am so very sorry to hear about your business closing down for now. So good of you to be available for emergencies, but I am sorry it is just office work for now.

I have so many lil tomato seedlings growing. Peppers are just starting to come up. I've thought of dropping extra quarantine plants off on neighbors doorsteps. It might just happen. Hell, feed the world! 
    Post edited by deadendp on

I advanced in line! I applied on Tuesday evening and didn't hear anything until this morning. For those who applied and are in wait, hang in there. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    A friend of mine, who's job isn't laying people off, had to request that they do temporarily lay him off because his wife has cancer and he can't possibly risk taking the virus into the home. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com