Temporary Unemployment: The COVID-19/Coronavirus Version

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    A friend of mine, who's job isn't laying people off, had to request that they do temporarily lay him off because his wife has cancer and he can't possibly risk taking the virus into the home. 
    Here is to hoping that they honor his request. That is what so many need to think about. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    deadendp said:
    A friend of mine, who's job isn't laying people off, had to request that they do temporarily lay him off because his wife has cancer and he can't possibly risk taking the virus into the home. 
    Here is to hoping that they honor his request. That is what so many need to think about. 
    Oh yeah, they did honor his request. Still, that sucks to have to collect unemployment. He won't make as much as he usually does. 

It really speaks to the situation of social-distancing and doing everything you can to not spread the virus. My friend could theoretically just go from home to work and back again, but what if one of his co-workers catches the virus, passes it to him without him knowing, and he brings it home to his cancer-ridden wife? You can't trust others to be careful, so he has to stay home. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    humor:

”i can’t decide to lay you or Jack off”

”better jack off; I have a headache.”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
    If this shit goes on for months, I'm afraid I will have to file for unemployment.
    I work in advertising and the bulk of our clients are restaurants, bars, event, and music venues. 
    All are shutdown (except curbside and delivery)
    People are already pulling their ads.
    Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best. 
    I'm studying my finances closely. I hope it doesn't come to it. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Massive queues this morning here at the social service offices.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    deadendp said:
    Oh yeah, they did honor his request. Still, that sucks to have to collect unemployment. He won't make as much as he usually does. 

It really speaks to the situation of social-distancing and doing everything you can to not spread the virus. My friend could theoretically just go from home to work and back again, but what if one of his co-workers catches the virus, passes it to him without him knowing, and he brings it home to his cancer-ridden wife? You can't trust others to be careful, so he has to stay home. 
    So sorry for your friend , I’m still seeing groups of people not following social distancing , having friends over on the weekends ect . It’s madding to me that we just don’t all look out for the collective whole and not ourselves.
    I know the loss of income is hard ( tottaly diffent , unemployment is a good chunk less ) I’m happy he will get to spend more time with his wife right now. I know silver lines feels awful to say in this world right now but here I do. 
    Bump because-- how is everyone doing?  
  • MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
    I just got told our salaries are being cut because business is way down. One of the owners (multi-millionare who doesn't live here)  wanted to cut people, the other owner (who works at the office everyday) said he didn't want do that and he cut our salaries instead. 
    My boss apparently just filed for the small business disaster relief loan
    I'm afraid in a couple of months, I will be layed off.. my biggest fear... if I do, hopefully it's only temporary
    anyone have luck with filing for unemployment? 
    edited March 2020
    Melzombie said:
    I just got told our salaries are being cut because business is way down. One of the owners (multi-millionare who doesn't live here)  wanted to cut people, the other owner (who works at the office everyday) said he didn't want do that and he cut our salaries instead. 
    My boss apparently just filed for the small business disaster relief loan
    I'm afraid in a couple of months, I will be layed off.. my biggest fear... if I do, hopefully it's only temporary
    anyone have luck with filing for unemployment? 
    I'm sorry to hear that your business is suffering.  We're all with you.  Hoping this layoff thing is a temporary gig.  Hoping that your business is able to stay going and that you can avoid a layoff altogether.  

I have filed for unemployment.  Just today I saw that they posted a message on my file that "initial allowed" for unemployment.  So...there's that.  I was successful in filing.  I was successful in re-filing on Sunday.  (Took me about 45 minutes to get through, but considering the system crashed, I won't complain.)  Haven't seen a payment, though tomorrow would be the earliest that would happen.  

In case you didn't know, I live in Ohio.  
    Just checking in. Has anyone who is unemployed by COVID-19 heard of a return date yet?

I got a text saying no May 1st. Then the governor announced general retail could reopen May 12th. I haven't heard whether we will be called back or when, but they have confirmed that they will be putting up customer plexi for us. 

The gallery was requiring prior to the governor that all employees wear masks. The governor initially stated that anyone in any store (employee or customer) would have to wear a mask, but he has since backpedaled stating only employees and employers are required. They ask that the public wear them, but you know many won't.  

My husband starts returning to in-building work next week. 2 days in, 3 days work-from-home. All of his park programming is canceled through May and possibly further out. All camps he does for kids in the summer are also canceled. 

That leaves our 16 year old. She is distance learning through the end of May, but since camps she taught for/with my husband are canceled and the opportunity to work are shot for now, we are considering just having her belt out a few classes online over the summer. She's going to be home anyhow, so she might as well get something accomplished. Her high school offers some online coursework, so she is checking into that this week. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    deadendp said:
    Just checking in. Has anyone who is unemployed by COVID-19 heard of a return date yet?

I got a text saying no May 1st. Then the governor announced general retail could reopen May 12th. I haven't heard whether we will be called back or when, but they have confirmed that they will be putting up customer plexi for us. 

The gallery was requiring prior to the governor that all employees wear masks. The governor initially stated that anyone in any store (employee or customer) would have to wear a mask, but he has since backpedaled stating only employees and employers are required. They ask that the public wear them, but you know many won't.  

My husband starts returning to in-building work next week. 2 days in, 3 days work-from-home. All of his park programming is canceled through May and possibly further out. All camps he does for kids in the summer are also canceled. 

That leaves our 16 year old. She is distance learning through the end of May, but since camps she taught for/with my husband are canceled and the opportunity to work are shot for now, we are considering just having her belt out a few classes online over the summer. She's going to be home anyhow, so she might as well get something accomplished. Her high school offers some online coursework, so she is checking into that this week. 

Here in California, Governor Newsom has said some restrictions (I think meaning some retail) will be lifted in, as he said, "weeks, not months".  That won't help me, unfortunately.  Considering my age and my compromised immune system, I won't feel confident about going back to work until there is a vaccine.  I hate not having a job but I'm not to keen on dying just yet so the choice, much as it sucks, is obvious. 

I hope many of you will be able to resume work and stay well.  I don't want to lose any of you!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Got the text calling me back on June 15. They aren't calling everyone back right away. 
  • AmantriaAmantria Posts: 361
    My layoff is permanent, happened just over two weeks ago.   I was upset for a couple of days but realize it's for the best.  I worked for a scummy division within a large national company for seven years, that in the end showed true to what I've known for several years now- it was run like a high school clique of "cool kids"  with no loyalty or respect.   For two weeks now I've been spending time with my two young boys and appreciating almost every minute of it (when they're being difficult).   We are a jobless household now, but thankfully we have some savings which can tide us over.  Not everyone has that, so I'm thankful for the situation I'm in.

Just wanted to share...so many people are/will be affected by this, and I hope we all see it through to the other side as better, stronger people.
    Its good to be back!!
    Amantria said:
    My layoff is permanent, happened just over two weeks ago.   I was upset for a couple of days but realize it's for the best.  I worked for a scummy division within a large national company for seven years, that in the end showed true to what I've known for several years now- it was run like a high school clique of "cool kids"  with no loyalty or respect.   For two weeks now I've been spending time with my two young boys and appreciating almost every minute of it (when they're being difficult).   We are a jobless household now, but thankfully we have some savings which can tide us over.  Not everyone has that, so I'm thankful for the situation I'm in.

Just wanted to share...so many people are/will be affected by this, and I hope we all see it through to the other side as better, stronger people.
    I'm sorry to hear about the change of employment status, but glad that it is a better thing for you. So glad you have savings as a back-up.

I thank you for sharing your story. Not  everyone is going to be called back. People need to remember that. 

So glad that you are taking this as a positive in regard to some great time to spend with your sons. 

Hoping that you are able to replace your job with one better at treating all coworkers well. 

The best of all good positive energy to you and your people. :hug: 
  • AmantriaAmantria Posts: 361
    deadendp said:
    Amantria said:

I'm sorry to hear about the change of employment status, but glad that it is a better thing for you. So glad you have savings as a back-up.

I thank you for sharing your story. Not  everyone is going to be called back. People need to remember that. 

So glad that you are taking this as a positive in regard to some great time to spend with your sons. 

Hoping that you are able to replace your job with one better at treating all coworkers well. 

The best of all good positive energy to you and your people. :hug: 
    Thank you.  I appreciate the support.  Thankfully I have a few options, and the time to make the decision.  Hoping to see updates as to how everyone else here is doing.  I hope you all have a great week!
    Its good to be back!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    Our store is re-opening on Friday. Unfortunately only department managers and a few part timers will be available. We are limited in payroll and hours for now. :disappointed:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Our store is re-opening on Friday. Unfortunately only department managers and a few part timers will be available. We are limited in payroll and hours for now. :disappointed:
    So you are still hanging home then? 

We are bringing back a step above a skeleton crew. I think they are re-evaluating staffing needs every two weeks. I clarified safety plans with management. We do have plexi guards. They will have all incoming custoner traffic come through our main door in order to keep a head count. I have asked for the store to be cleaned before we return. I scrubbed everything before I left on 3/18, but we will have been closed for almost three months. I cannot scrub the store down in an hour or hope to do it during the day on the day we reopen. I think we will be busy. Others disagree. Who knows? 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:

We are bringing back a step above a skeleton crew. I think they are re-evaluating staffing needs every two weeks. I clarified safety plans with management. We do have plexi guards. They will have all incoming custoner traffic come through our main door in order to keep a head count. I have asked for the store to be cleaned before we return. I scrubbed everything before I left on 3/18, but we will have been closed for almost three months. I cannot scrub the store down in an hour or hope to do it during the day on the day we reopen. I think we will be busy. Others disagree. Who knows? 
    If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean, @deadendp !
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean, @deadendp !
    Agreed! :lol:

Today ended my nearly 3 months of unemployment. (That would be me in front and my coworker Halle on the other side of the plexi.) A very weird new way of being. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    deadendp said:

Today ended my nearly 3 months of unemployment. (That would be me in front and my coworker Halle on the other side of the plexi.) A very weird new way of being. 
    Welcome back to work, Amy! I hope it was a good day, even if weird. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:

Welcome back to work, Amy! I hope it was a good day, even if weird. 
    Well, she IS wearing a dotty mask ;)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Yeah Amy!!!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,812
    deadendp said:

Welcome back to the working world. Cute mask. Definitely a strange new vibe these days. 
    The mask thing. I'm totally for it. However, I hadn't worn a mask for that long yet. I decided I would do the same we have my husband do- change to a new mask after lunch. Brown and blue dotty mask did great, but mask #2 fit well at first, then started jogging down my chin as I talked. I ended up changing into a different one. I took a bag of clean masks in case that happened. 

It's something I just need to get used to. 
    Finally got a call from work. I get to go back starting tomorrow :smile:

They can only give me 30 hours this week and like 35 next week which i'm ok with. Will be happier once i get back to 40. Also i still have not gotten my unemployment checks at all. Tried calling but I always get a busy signal. Maybe I messed up filling something out. I should have at least gotten something by now.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Finally got a call from work. I get to go back starting tomorrow :smile:

They can only give me 30 hours this week and like 35 next week which i'm ok with. Will be happier once i get back to 40. Also i still have not gotten my unemployment checks at all. Tried calling but I always get a busy signal. Maybe I messed up filling something out. I should have at least gotten something by now.
    Congrats on the call back! 

And yes, you should have gotten money by now. :angry:
    @eeriepadave

How was your first day back? 
    deadendp said:
    @eeriepadave

it was long (or felt it at least). after being off for 3 months my feet were pretty sore when i got home. We were pretty busy though. Worked about 30 hours this week. Next week I think i'm scheduled to work 32 or 35 hours. I'll be happy once i et back up to 40 though.

I also just figured out why I wasn't getting my unemployment in my bank. After I filed for it they sent me my pin number and all in the mail. Few days after that I got this debit card which I was wondering why I didn't think i ordered one. Well apparently it was for my unemployment. I had no clue the unemployment money went to the debit card. I figured it would just go straight to the bank. Luckily I kept it and didn't throw it out or something stupid :lol:  So I just activated it today and transferred some money to my bank.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    deadendp said:
    @eeriepadave

it was long (or felt it at least). after being off for 3 months my feet were pretty sore when i got home. We were pretty busy though. Worked about 30 hours this week. Next week I think i'm scheduled to work 32 or 35 hours. I'll be happy once i et back up to 40 though.

I also just figured out why I wasn't getting my unemployment in my bank. After I filed for it they sent me my pin number and all in the mail. Few days after that I got this debit card which I was wondering why I didn't think i ordered one. Well apparently it was for my unemployment. I had no clue the unemployment money went to the debit card. I figured it would just go straight to the bank. Luckily I kept it and didn't throw it out or something stupid :lol:  So I just activated it today and transferred some money to my bank.
    I'll go in reverse. So glad you got the unemployment figured out! That debit card thing threw several people. 

It's awesome that you have had enough business to eventually build up to 40 hours. We're still on a highly trimmed staff. 

When I got home after day 1, I was so tired I could hardly speak. I really think it was absolutely mentally exhausting to get back to work and be on heightened alert all day just trying to figure out how everything would go. Again, I believe the mask added to the exhaustion. I noticed that the foot I broke back in 2012 pained that first evening, too. Shooting pains right where I broke it. However, that was only day 1. After that, all was good. 

What is your percentage of mask wearing public in store? Just wondering. Ours has surprisingly increased over the days I worked.