"Dance of".... a devil's advocate point of view-both sides

If you're like me, and you've been disappointed in the last two albums, then you're collectively holding your breath that the new album is NOT BackSpacer II or Lightning Bolt (side 2 all over again). Upon the release of "Dance", I almost found myself in the fetal position, whimpering "what happen to the band I love so much." I have read in the press that people who had advance snippets of the new album, describe it as quote/unquote "different". That alone sends up a red flag. But one should remind one's self that Tool's latest "Fear Innoculium" ,had stories of the band being disjointed and it took 13 years to produce etc... but fans were not disappointed. Having said this.....Allow me to dip my fingers into the holy water to let it bubble and sizzle and let the steam rise...  

Being that I'm a bass player of close to 40 years, I understand that as a musician you have to stretch your legs a bit; otherwise you will grow complacent. Your music will sound the same and fans will abandon you in droves. After hearing "Dance" the 2nd time through, I couldn't help but be put at ease by the fact that Jeff's bass line stands out like those of "Jeremy", "WMA", and "Father's Son" (double bass line). They grab you and make you listen. And maybe that's the point to the release of "Dance" right out of the box. Maybe we should be open and receptive; not to prejudge based on our past experiences. Are you like me and have your "shields up" in anticipation of the new album? Or are you openly waiting for the next chapter in the PJ story?

Your comments are appreciated.

The aristocrat choir sings "What's the ruckus?", the haves, have not, a clue
Tagged:

Comments

• Isn’t stonio on bass?
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • It's Stones bass line, not Jeff's :)
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    I couldn't agree more about enjoying songs that Jeff stands out on (In My Tree and Tremor Christ are a couple of my favs).  However, as it was pointed out above, it is the Stone Zone on bass for DotC.  I believe only the 2nd time since Smile.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    I am always excited for new music. I never have my shields up.  I have enjoyed the last 2 albums, though.  Sure, they don't stick out like Ten or Yield, but they are good in their own right.  Those were "different" too.  

I enjoyed DotC.  I am a bit less excited about SBWM, but its ok so far, and looking forward to hearing the full thing.  It's just a snippet, so to judge it based on 30 seconds would be unfair. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I hope it’s better than the Tool album. I don’t expect a bands best work late in their career but an effort to truly be creative is a must. PJ didn’t check that at all with Backspacer and just scratched the surface with LB. The bits so far have me hopeful on that front despite not really tripping my trigger. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    DewieCox said:
    I hope it’s better than the Tool album. I don’t expect a bands best work late in their career but an effort to truly be creative is a must. PJ didn’t check that at all with Backspacer and just scratched the surface with LB. The bits so far have me hopeful on that front despite not really tripping my trigger. 

Sorry to disagree but the Tool album is stunning. I was luke warm initially, I liked it but it was way too complex and layered to fully comprehend back in August. Fear Inoculum continues to amaze me every time I listen. Yes it borrows and expands from the Tool catalogue, but that’s exactly the point of believing a band is both great and iconic.

it seems the loyal fans here can not deal with an intense 2020 version of even flow or alive. They need new music to be fresh or something different. They did not like CDM as much as DotC. Casual rock fans are starting to approach me at places like work asking me about what’s up with DotC. I have actually been put in the awkward  position quite a few times defending their decision to explore a different genre. I simply believe the song does not work well within the strengths of Pearl Jam. Every 10 minute Tool song on FI better than DotC.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Pearl Jam is not a thinking man's music.  Lyrically you could argue it was from 1991 to 2000.  But Pearl Jam is a band that borrows more than it creates.  Nothing they do will push any envelope or make you think they are music geeks like a Radiohead or The National.  DOTC is different but it isn't a great song by any stretch of the imagination.  Entertaining, yes, but I don't expect anything from Pearl Jam that will make me respect the musicality of it like I respect other musicians and their creativity.  Maybe it is their punk influences or limitations with Ed's sound/range.  The guitar riff in the Wolf song is bland as hell (to my ears) and perhaps my musical tastes have moved on.    

Pearl Jam is a great live band and had some truly amazing records in the first 15-16 years, but as far as musicality they are straightforward rock.  I love most of it but it doesn't suck me in musically like a Nick Cave, Radiohead, The National, Nine Inch Nails, etc...

• Pearl Jam is not a thinking man's music.  Lyrically you could argue it was from 1991 to 2000.  But Pearl Jam is a band that borrows more than it creates.  Nothing they do will push any envelope or make you think they are music geeks like a Radiohead or The National.  DOTC is different but it isn't a great song by any stretch of the imagination.  Entertaining, yes, but I don't expect anything from Pearl Jam that will make me respect the musicality of it like I respect other musicians and their creativity.  Maybe it is their punk influences or limitations with Ed's sound/range.  The guitar riff in the Wolf song is bland as hell (to my ears) and perhaps my musical tastes have moved on.    

Pearl Jam is a great live band and had some truly amazing records in the first 15-16 years, but as far as musicality they are straightforward rock.  I love most of it but it doesn't suck me in musically like a Nick Cave, Radiohead, The National, Nine Inch Nails, etc...

Hmm. I think the PJ that writes Hard to Imagine, Nothing as it Seems, Strangest Tribe, I am Mine etc is sucking me in. 

The 2 minute songs singing about things being supersonic doesn't really though, compared to Nine Inch Nails etc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Pearl Jam is not a thinking man's music.  Lyrically you could argue it was from 1991 to 2000.  But Pearl Jam is a band that borrows more than it creates.  Nothing they do will push any envelope or make you think they are music geeks like a Radiohead or The National.  DOTC is different but it isn't a great song by any stretch of the imagination.  Entertaining, yes, but I don't expect anything from Pearl Jam that will make me respect the musicality of it like I respect other musicians and their creativity.  Maybe it is their punk influences or limitations with Ed's sound/range.  The guitar riff in the Wolf song is bland as hell (to my ears) and perhaps my musical tastes have moved on.    

Hmm. I think the PJ that writes Hard to Imagine, Nothing as it Seems, Strangest Tribe, I am Mine etc is sucking me in. 

The 2 minute songs singing about things being supersonic doesn't really though, compared to Nine Inch Nails etc.
    I don’t mean any of this as a knock on Pearl Jam.  It is a style difference.  They aren’t a band like Rush or something that uses math when writing a song.  

I think more it is that my musical tastes have changed and what I’m more interested in now is not what PJ has been selling lately or could ever get in stock (at least from a non-live perspective).
  • i Find that if I like a song right away, I tend to get bored with it quicker. The songs that grow on me stick around longer in rotation. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    I agree with OP entirely. Well said. 

However. We live in a world now where it’s so easy to record and distribute music just do that and don’t look back. 

I can go into my office and record a song right now and release it. DO THAT!

Mw...mw....mw....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    DewieCox said:

Sorry to disagree but the Tool album is stunning. I was luke warm initially, I liked it but it was way too complex and layered to fully comprehend back in August. Fear Inoculum continues to amaze me every time I listen. Yes it borrows and expands from the Tool catalogue, but that’s exactly the point of believing a band is both great and iconic.

it seems the loyal fans here can not deal with an intense 2020 version of even flow or alive. They need new music to be fresh or something different. They did not like CDM as much as DotC. Casual rock fans are starting to approach me at places like work asking me about what’s up with DotC. I have actually been put in the awkward  position quite a few times defending their decision to explore a different genre. I simply believe the song does not work well within the strengths of Pearl Jam. Every 10 minute Tool song on FI better than DotC.
    I anticipated this type of  typical Tool fan response. No need to apologize. You’re just into slogging through an hour and a half of music, sold as expanding their sound, to find the minute or two total of riffs and sounds that arent direct recycles. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I do like Backspacer and Lightning Bolt both a lot, and I didn't really care for Fear Inoculum because it offered absolutely nothing that I haven't heard from Tool before.  Super excited for Gigaton!!
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I found parts of LB and BS that I enjoy and parts I don't. I expect this album to be the same (would love to be wrong). Theres so much other great stuff to listen to I don't get hung up on being down on the stuff I don't like. You won't find me in the fetal position if I don't like it. I'll just play something else and life moves on. I'm surprised people get so hung up and bent out of shape about this bands missteps.