*** The vegetarian/vegan thread ***

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Strange Times (fittingly).
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I've read several books on vegan\vegetarianism.
    We as a nation eat way too much meat.
    We treat the animals we eat poorly.
    I still think it's okay to eat meat,
    but my mind could be changed.
    P.S.  I once went a month without meat and nicknamed myself the "meatless wonder".
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Malroth said:
    I've read several books on vegan\vegetarianism.
    We as a nation eat way too much meat.
    We treat the animals we eat poorly.
    I still think it's okay to eat meat,
    but my mind could be changed.
    P.S.  I once went a month without meat and nicknamed myself the "meatless wonder".
    Hope you didn't use that nickname around the ladies!

I think that we, as a nation, eat way too much in general.  And can be so wasteful with it.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Hit 315lbs on my deadlift last night. Plant based for the win!
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    bflynn1 said:
    Hit 315lbs on my deadlift last night. Plant based for the win!

Awesome.  I have a friend who has been vegan for several years.  He is also an Iron Man Triathlete several times over.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Had these tonight and thought they were awesome. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    There only sold at one supermarket chain here in sweden, but will have to give them a try. If I have the will and strength this weekend to fix any food.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ^^^They have a displeasing scent when cooking.  Fine on the grill, but stinks the house up if done in the kitchen.
    I would rather have a more classic beanburger.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    rgambs said:
    ^^^They have a displeasing scent when cooking.  Fine on the grill, but stinks the house up if done in the kitchen.
    I have a displeasing scent. Maybe it evens out. Haha. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    rgambs said:
    You know they did have a weird smell when I opened them but I didn't smell anything after I put them on the grill.  it was a definitely a nice alternative to a beef burger. With a slice of cheese and bbq sauce I honestly didn't know the difference.   
    What bean burger do you recommend gambs?  
  • mcgruff10 said:
    What does these (2 pattys I guess?) cost in the US?
    Around $5 usd
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:

I agree, they do have a strange smell.  Taste is good but after now having the Beyond Burgers many times and finally finding an Impossible packet in a store to make burgers from that, I also prefer making a bean-burger from scratch.  Also have a few purchased ones that I like -- BJs actually has a type I really enjoy.  (Costco over BJs as a warehouse shopping store, but those bean burgers are great) 

For me the burger is just as much about the stuff I load all over it as it is the patty.

When trying to be healthy I put all of that shit (pickles, lettuce, tomato, olives, etc) in a bowl and smash up 2 bean burgers.  Fucking delicious.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • vegan wine tonight

Isn t all wine vegan?
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Isn t all wine vegan?
    no

• What makes wine or any liquor not vegan???
    The reason that all wines are not vegan or even vegetarian-friendly has to do with how wine is clarified and a process called 'fining'. ... Traditionally the most commonly used fining agents were casein (a milk protein), albumin (egg whites), gelatin (animal protein) and isinglass (fish bladder prote

• Trying out some new stuff from supermarket chain Lidl:

The reason that all wines are not vegan or even vegetarian-friendly has to do with how wine is clarified and a process called 'fining'. ... Traditionally the most commonly used fining agents were casein (a milk protein), albumin (egg whites), gelatin (animal protein) and isinglass (fish bladder prote
    Wow..I had no idea about that process ...i used to make my own organic fruit wines..no fining process used.. thanks for sharing...

• Feeding Bill Gates a Fake Burger (to save the world)

https://youtu.be/-k-V3ESHcfA

edited February 2020

The hidden biases that drive anti-vegan hatred

Hank Rothgerber, a social psychologist at Bellarmine University, Kentucky, thinks it all comes down to answering the question: how do we continue to eat meat?

“So basically we live in an era today, at least in the Western world, where there’s more and more evidence, more and more arguments, and more and more books about how eating meat is bad,” says Rothgerber. “But still, our behaviour hasn't changed significantly.” He points out that 2018 looks set to be – it takes a while for the annual statistics to be released – the year with the highest per capita meat consumption in the history of the United States.

“So what I’m looking at is, how do people rationalise that, and still feel like they’re a good person?” To continue to eat meat, Rothgerber suggests, requires some serious mental gymnastics. Luckily, our brains are extremely good at protecting us from realities we don’t want to face – and there are a number of psychological tricks at our disposal.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200203-the-hidden-biases-that-drive-anti-vegan-hatred?fbclid=IwAR23ucW61-K6o18PV6g7iHj9l82-86pJ7F24siHiTHYbNtrgFb_iY4Aq1xY

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

The hidden biases that drive anti-vegan hatred

Hank Rothgerber, a social psychologist at Bellarmine University, Kentucky, thinks it all comes down to answering the question: how do we continue to eat meat?

“So basically we live in an era today, at least in the Western world, where there’s more and more evidence, more and more arguments, and more and more books about how eating meat is bad,” says Rothgerber. “But still, our behaviour hasn't changed significantly.” He points out that 2018 looks set to be – it takes a while for the annual statistics to be released – the year with the highest per capita meat consumption in the history of the United States.

“So what I’m looking at is, how do people rationalise that, and still feel like they’re a good person?” To continue to eat meat, Rothgerber suggests, requires some serious mental gymnastics. Luckily, our brains are extremely good at protecting us from realities we don’t want to face – and there are a number of psychological tricks at our disposal.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200203-the-hidden-biases-that-drive-anti-vegan-hatred?fbclid=IwAR23ucW61-K6o18PV6g7iHj9l82-86pJ7F24siHiTHYbNtrgFb_iY4Aq1xY

Yes, that's the way it is.  Sadly. 
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    I’m an awful person and a murderer by proxy. 

Got it. 

vegan ice cream

vegan burger

vegan burger

So what is the verdict?   Good?  Bad?

edited March 2020
    vegan burger

So what is the verdict?   Good?  Bad?

Good. And 4 patties for 45 SEK, is way cheaper than Beyond Burger that is only 2 patties for 62 SEK.

Gonna try this one next, with them saying they are better than Beyond Burger.

But, I am one of those who doesn't need a "meat" taste and prefer a stuffed, fried veggie patty over these types of patties. Give me the old and discountinued McGarden any day. Or Burger Kings "Veggie burger meal". Just mashed veggies, fried.

Seems all chains are switching to these meat substitutes now.... well oh, well

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Supported the vegan restaurant in town, by buying home their three cheeses. 

vegan icecream for easter