Anyone else missing the old Synergy board?

Comments

• euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    :)

<!--Copyright 1996-2000 SeaKat Unlimited--All material copyrighted to Pearl Jam belongs to Pearl Jam. contact: digitalkat@aol.com, ofthesea@aol.com>      
    https://web.archive.org/web/20000815211437/http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/index.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20001120073000/http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/rumorpit/rumorpit.html

• mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    ceska said:
    Who also logged into telnet and visited the text-only ampj (alt.music.pearl-jam)?  I did a lot of tape trading on there.

Bringing me way back now.
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    I miss everything about my 20s, including the old board lol.
  • jasonwjasonw Posts: 389
    Was there a guy named Fanch that would do drunken reviews of the albums or am I making that up?
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    jasonw said:
    Was there a guy named Fanch that would do drunken reviews of the albums or am I making that up?
    That sounds extremely familiar 
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    jasonw said:
    I'm sure you're making it up. There was never a guy named Fanch who used to drink truckloads of Natty Light and hold one-man listening parties for Riot Act.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    jasonw said:
    Name was fanch75 and was part of the YIELD crew. Nope you aren't making that up
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pages_in_a_bookpages_in_a_book Dallas, TX Posts: 55

something to remember me by
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    2000--New Orleans--Memphis--Nashville--Indianapolis--Cincinnati--Columbus--Detroit--Chicago--Eddie at Ralph Nadar Rally--St. Louis--Kansas City--Houston x2--Dallas--Lubbock
    2003--San Antonio--Dallas
    2020--The Long Road to OKC #20

1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    2000--New Orleans--Memphis--Nashville--Indianapolis--Cincinnati--Columbus--Detroit--Chicago--Eddie at Ralph Nadar Rally--St. Louis--Kansas City--Houston x2--Dallas--Lubbock

1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    Oh my God.... chills. I thought this was lost forever. The story of my father singing Last Kiss to me when I was a kid, and hearing it live for the first time (not knowing that the new cover song was the same one my dad always used to sing). My dad just passed away this past September....I can't even read this now. but it warms my heart to know it exists. Thank you internet archive!  https://web.archive.org/web/20010122101300/http://sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/fanscene/1998/906knx2.html
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    for hedonist 
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thank you :). Man, so many people shown who I miss. And I believe quite a few are here. 

And brokenarrow and PJMom...great times with those ladies!

(I remember your writing about that song, by the way.)
  • I didnt know about Synergy until hmm..... it was pre-Riot Act tour, but it had recently transitioned from a binaural theme in colors to riot act. But at that point--- there was the message board.... but in a different home page screen there was a SECOND, lesser known, completely different message board with different format--the 'new' board? or was that the 'old board'? But there were definitely TWO BOARDS. I think------the 'old' board allowed for more responses per page to be viewed, so that was preferred when  the Riot Act Tour started for set list threads....   But then they all went down, and everyone went to The Sky I Scrape, or went back to it, cause i had the sense it had a presence from earlier??  But then the Synergy site came back, but maybe with just one board, but it was the new board--- that no one preferred to the old old board, ..and that was the "new old board"....or was it the "old new board?" 

But yeah... I loooooved the tan-ish background, 50 replies view, Synergy board--  the riot act threads, rumor pit..fanch75! Now i'm nostalgic for '03!  

• I rarely post anymore as well, but reading this thread was like going to a high school reunion...;) Life felt more simple back then...
    here for the music...
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    What did it look like Riot Act tour? It was green right?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited February 2020
    Yes tape trading.....way less pissing and moaning, less meaness, and yes I think this board still gives opportunity to meet and interact with other fans.   Road tripped with a comlpete stranger to NY and DC from Chicago ('sup Doug).  Many many spare ticket folks.

I liked the semi-connected era of early digital over this 24/7  cluster of info and too many personal opinions/rants/uncivil behavior to any kind of divergent thought to one's own POV

Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited February 2020

How to make Pearl Jam

The choice, ripe ingredients for Grandma Pearl's famous Jam are selected just after ripening and then stored in a dark cellar so they have plenty of space and time to blend together and... oh excuse us, Eddie, Jeff, Jack, Mike and Stone are the members of Pearl Jam. 

Stone Gossard Stone Gossard

• Born July 20 in Seattle, Washington
    • First band was March of Crimes
    • Was an original member of Green River and Mother Love Bone
    • Member of Brad
    • Was in Temple of the Dog
    • Has a record company named Loosegroove Records
    • Influences: Led Zeppelin, KISS, Hendrix, funk and rap
    • Keys & vocals
    • Rhythm guitar...riff maker extraordinaire
    • Was in the movie, "singles"
    Mike McCready Mike McCready

• Born April 5 in Pensacola, Florida
    • Was in a band named Shadow
    • Influences include KISS, Hendrix
    • Member of Mad Season
    • Friend of Mr. Potatohead
    • Lead guitar...sonic guitar solos
    Eddie VedderEddie Vedder

• Born December 23 in Evanston, Illinois
    • Lead vocals, lyricist, rhythm guitar
    • Does PJ album art, resident typist
    • Plays accordian and harmonica
    • Formerly in a band named Bad Radio
    • Master of ceremonies & sometimes DJ
    • Basketball freak, especially Chicago Bulls
    • Good with card tricks
    Jack IronsJack Irons
    • Born July 18 in Los Angeles, California
    • Original Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer
    • Former drummer for Eleven
    • Gave Stone Gossard demos to Eddie Vedder
    • Drum tutor for the movie, "rock 'n' roll high school forever"
    • Appeared in the movie, "less than zero"
    • Loves tattoos, especially marine animals.
      He's been known to say, "when i'm nude, i'm all tattooed."
    • In a RHCP poster wearing a sock
    • Influences include KISS
    • Percussion guru
    Jeff AmentJeff Ament
    • Born March 10 in Big Sandy, Montana
    • Original member of Green River and Mother Love Bone
    • Member of Three Fish
    • Went to school for graphic design
    • Does PJ artwork
    • Bass...energetic, bouncin', and melodic
    • Digs basketball, especially Seattle Supersonics
    • Band biographer (See Ames Time Machine)

Ames

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I rarely post anymore as well, but reading this thread was like going to a high school reunion...;) Life felt more simple back then...
    That's a great analogy!  for me it's  more like a college reunion. I was most active in 2000 which was my senior year of college. 
    in the meantime I met my wife because of our common love of Pearl Jam, I've raised a family, I've been a teacher at the same school for 18 years, and I've never stop loving Pearl Jam Even if I stopped posting while I was a little bit busy LOL. it makes me wonder what has happened in the past 20 years with all the other names on those message board pics I posted.
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    Yep, I made the same connections as you OP.  As a matter of fact I will be traveling to LA for both shows to visit my long time PJ buddies that I met on Synergy . . . all of these people I met through PJ and the message boards.  I adore each and every one of them.  
  • hedonist said:
    Kat was digitalkat too i think. 

I dont even remember my name!  Lol.  Good times trading bootlegs, dissecting the Yield tour setlists,  so fun.  
    Yup - and Sea was always Sea.  I was always me, too :lol:

I think I remember you, OP!  Someone here mentioned the Rumor Pit earlier and it made me think of the many friends I made on that old board (one I married, some I hope to hug again here in LA, and others in my heart).

That bond with some here is just as strong for me, both in person and online.  I know others feel the same!

Sea was originally OfTheSea.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    hedonist said:

I dont even remember my name!  Lol.  Good times trading bootlegs, dissecting the Yield tour setlists,  so fun.  

I think I remember you, OP!  Someone here mentioned the Rumor Pit earlier and it made me think of the many friends I made on that old board (one I married, some I hope to hug again here in LA, and others in my heart).

That bond with some here is just as strong for me, both in person and online.  I know others feel the same!

Damn my memory!
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    edited February 2020
    jasonw said:
    I'm sure you're making it up. There was never a guy named Fanch who used to drink truckloads of Natty Light and hold one-man listening parties for Riot Act.
    There you are Fins, old sport!

They switched up the board shortly after I joined the club. Glad they spruced it up again!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Damn my memory!
    I didnt know Sea WASN'T OfTheSea anymore----!

so many 'memberberries....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I was a very active member of Synergy back in the day. I felt like I got to know people on a real and genuine level, enough so that when I followed PJ on tour in 2000 I shared hotel rooms and crashed on couches with people I met on Synergy. does that same sense of culture exist on the new board? I haven't been active on a message board in awhile, but that sense of community seems drowned out by more grumbling and complaining than there used to be. Did I just reconnect at a bad time? Hoping others have that same connection to strangers  now that I had back in the day!
    If you don't remember grumbling and complaining on the old board, perhaps you didn't visit it as much as you remember?

There are similarities and differences. Main difference for you, I guess, is you just aren't as familiar with the folks who post a lot now compared to 15 years ago. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I was a very active member of Synergy back in the day. I felt like I got to know people on a real and genuine level, enough so that when I followed PJ on tour in 2000 I shared hotel rooms and crashed on couches with people I met on Synergy. does that same sense of culture exist on the new board? I haven't been active on a message board in awhile, but that sense of community seems drowned out by more grumbling and complaining than there used to be. Did I just reconnect at a bad time? Hoping others have that same connection to strangers  now that I had back in the day!
    If you don't remember grumbling and complaining on the old board, perhaps you didn't visit it as much as you remember?

There are similarities and differences. Main difference for you, I guess, is you just aren't as familiar with the folks who post a lot now compared to 15 years ago. 
    I dunno, it sure wasn't at this level.

Maybe because it was a smaller community (or some other reason), I don't recall much in the way of sniping or serious complaining.  Definitely seemed to treat each other better, vs. as of late.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I think slower internet prevented  a lot of the trolling we see today.  Yes there was pissin and moaning, but the outright meaness I see here weekly towards others was not as prevalent.  
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited February 2020
    It was different.  Merch was not front and center.  The band was a lot more active.   Those two topics alone account for much of the complaining here the past ten years.  

We freaked out about things like “does parting ways mean the band is done??”   

Good times
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    I didnt know about Synergy until hmm..... it was pre-Riot Act tour, but it had recently transitioned from a binaural theme in colors to riot act. But at that point--- there was the message board.... but in a different home page screen there was a SECOND, lesser known, completely different message board with different format--the 'new' board? or was that the 'old board'? But there were definitely TWO BOARDS. I think------the 'old' board allowed for more responses per page to be viewed, so that was preferred when  the Riot Act Tour started for set list threads....   But then they all went down, and everyone went to The Sky I Scrape, or went back to it, cause i had the sense it had a presence from earlier??  But then the Synergy site came back, but maybe with just one board, but it was the new board--- that no one preferred to the old old board, ..and that was the "new old board"....or was it the "old new board?" 

But yeah... I loooooved the tan-ish background, 50 replies view, Synergy board--  the riot act threads, rumor pit..fanch75! Now i'm nostalgic for '03!  

Hello there brother BeardedFellow!

I miss the old board days too.  The meetups, the listening parties, the reviews, all of that stuff.  That was a carefree time and those days were a lot of fun!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I was a lurker, rarely signed in. Pretty busy with high school and then university during those days : )
    www.cluthelee.com